• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running the Camino

Tim del Norte

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I am planning on running the Camino Frances in 12 days starting on the 15/10/2019. I plan to meet my wife at Santiago de Compostela and then walk to the end of the work over 4 days.

Anyone else going to on the route then?

I am enjoying the training and getting ready to run the Camino Frances. I plan to do several blog posts about my training and equipment that I will be carrying.

As for what I learn from running rather than walking the route I am not sure. But I do feel called to run the route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino, Tim. There are quite a few threads here about running the Camino - you'll find lots of useful information and advice if you put 'running' in the search box (top right of the page).

12 days will be quite a challenge, though! Wishing you well with it.

Wow, 12 days that's impressive, I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I may well be on camino then, I'll be the one eating your dust!

Buen Camino,

Rob.

For some reason I feel called to run the Camino this time. Next time I am hoping I am called to walk :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your reasons are your reasons. You don't have to explain them to anyone other than your wife.

I'm curious how much weight you'll be carrying.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your reasons are your reasons. You don't have to explain them to anyone other than your wife.

I'm curious how much weight you'll be carrying.

My next blog article will cover that topic.

But I will be carrying a 20 litre running pack. Two pairs of socks, pants, shirts. At least 1 litre of water. A good quality survival bag to act as a lightweight sleeping bag if required, Water proof pants, water top and merino wool top. Snacks and food. Sports towel and soap.

I was originally planning to stay in albergues but after speaking to other people I think I might be better to stay in guest houses that have beading and towels. Also means I get a better nights sleep and can be flexible what time I get there and pre book.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was originally planning to stay in albergues but after speaking to other people I think I might be better to stay in guest houses that have beading and towels. Also means I get a better nights sleep and can be flexible what time I get there and pre book.
That sounds like a good plan with the way you will be doing the Camino. I imagine that you will need a very good rest each night after running more than a marathon every day

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used to be a distance runner, many years ago. It occurred to me - while walking it - that running the Camino would be totally doable and enjoyable for somebody in shape to do it. Have fun and tell us how it goes!

I love running and have completed a few half marathons over reasonably flat terrain, but if you start in SJPDP then you need to average more than 60km per day. I did it in 12 days on a bike when I was afforded the luxury of coasting down a few hills, I cant imagine what it would be like to run it with a pack! Good luck !!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know someone who successfully ran from SJPdP to SdC in 14 days. You didn’t say where you were starting. Everyone has their own Camino and I wish you well on your’s.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back