• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running Tights & Leggings

JeepsNRoses

Camino Dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2017) May 15th SJPdP - Pamplona
CF (2019) Dec 18th Sarria - Santiago
CF (2020) May 17th SJPdP
Numerous packing list threads reference 'running tights' and skirt or dress combos. Same threads also mention leggings. What are running tights & why do so many recommend wearing them with a skirt? Leggings and tunics I know well. I don't have a clue when it comes to running tights .. brands, material blends, etc. How are they different from my Danskin nylon supplex leggings that I practically live in?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All these are used to prevent chaffing between the tights of those of use who aren't exactly slim ;-) If chaffing isn't a problem for you, you don't need them when walking. Buen Camino, SY

I'm on the Camino now, and have brought two dresses that I walk and do everything else in. Before it became chilly (I'm in Villafranca del Bierzo now) I wore them with a pair of lightweight running type shorts underneath while walking , mostly for modesty purposes because I don't really have a chafing issue.
The past couple of days - 6°C yesterday morning - I added lightweight merino wool leggings. They were just the right weight. I also brought some Under Armor spandex exercise type leggings, but have only used them once, when the albergue I was at had a yoga lesson.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Suzie, I've also wondered about this.
Do running tights have better wicking ability? Doing my training walks in hot weather this summer I realized my workout tights were feeling really hot and clinging, unlike the tech tops I was wearing. Would love to hear others' thoughts on that.
I had light leggings with me on the Camino last fall, mostly wore them under my skirt both for warmth (chilly evenings) and to prevent chaffing. But it will be warmer when I return next May/June.
Thoughts, ladies?

Running tights (or anything "running") is ideal for the Camino bc the material is designed to be light, dry fast, and wick sweat from the body. This means actual running tights/shirt/hat/etc. Some bargin chains might sell similar looking things (designed for someone to *look* like they run) that might not work at all. Shop in running stores, or the running dept at REI, etc or read labels carefully. If it's designed for someone who runs 26.2 miles in 3 hours (not me, I'm a five hour runner:rolleyes:) then it will keep you comfy on a 12 mile walk.

Running tights (or anything "running") is ideal for the Camino bc the material is designed to be light, dry fast, and wick sweat from the body. This means actual running tights/shirt/hat/etc. Some bargin chains might sell similar looking things (designed for someone to *look* like they run) that might not work at all. Shop in running stores, or the running dept at REI, etc or read labels carefully. If it's designed for someone who runs 26.2 miles in 3 hours (not me, I'm a five hour runner:rolleyes:) then it will keep you comfy on a 12 mile walk.

Thanks for the clarification, Smallest Sparrow. It will be running tights for me! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I should modify my question: what are your favorite running tights/leggings to wear n the Camino? @Bala & I are both planning May/June 2017, so let's focus on options you'd recommend for that timeframe.

So glad to see this discussion again. I know what running tights/leggings are, and they have a weight advantage over the lightweight hiking pants I always wear. They are also extremely comfortable, and I have tried on many pairs (agree with Smallest Sparrow, don't buy cheap and stick with real sports clothes) in the hopes of finding something I could wear. But for me the problem has always been what to wear on top. I just don't feel comfortable with tight leggings on the bottom and a shirt on the top that ends more or less at the waist. I am also slightly limited in my choices because my dermatologist would scream if I wore a collarless or short sleeve shirt. Too much skin cancer to take that risk. So I am waiting with great anticipation to hear what my camino sisters might suggest for the aging peregrinas like me. :)

I wore running pants not tights, and only race in shorts so can't help re brands...besides it's a personal preference kind of thing. I agree w Perigrina 2000 re clothing difficulty w tights, and most runners tops are pretty form fitting. I think TravelSmith.com and Magellens.com have some modest, quick dry long sleeve and long hem shirt/tunics. Another arm coverup option from runners wear: they make sleeves you can wear (like gloves), out of same tech material and wide range of colors.

Edit for brands: I adore nike, followed by asics. But that's just me (pants, shirts, compression sleeves, shorts)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also I think sometimes skirts and tights are worn for warmth (layering), sometimes modesty (either tights to make a short skirt more modest, or a few of us think tights alone are too revealing for our taste and skirts make tights more modest. A friend always wears both tights and skirt (or tutu, etc) in marathons for modesty over tights alone.

I used the lightest weight icebreaker leggings under my skirt, when it was cold. Just about perfect. I didn't worry about chafing, I wore very lightweight men's exoficio boxer briefs and was fine. April/May

In the fall or winter I do wear thicker running tights instead of pants. When the tights are thicker I don't feel so exposed in them! And then for the top, I tend to wear jackets that go over the bum. So that avoids the modesty issue. In the warmer months I just wear very light hiking pants because I think they are cooler than tights. But I have sometimes thought about wearing lightweight running tights with a men's long-sleeved, collared hiking shirt (I also tend to cover up in the sun) over top. If you can get one that fits over your hips, men's shirts are longer and could be a solution to the modesty issue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I should modify my question: what are your favorite running tights/leggings to wear n the Camino? @Bala & I are both planning May/June 2017, so let's focus on options you'd recommend for that timeframe.

Hi Suzi, I wear Under Armour running capris and I plan to walk in them on this year's Camino. I wear them with a hip-length tee shirt. Any of the main running brands are fine - I've also worn Nike, Gore and Ronhill. It's really a matter of personal preference and fit. Some have useful extra features such as high visibility markings (perfect for road walking) or a small pocket for a phone/ipod. For a May/June Camino, I'd suggest that you get summer-weight rather than winter-weight ones.

I also second @Imsundaze's recommendation of the lightest icebreaker leggings - they are great under a skirt or in bed on a cooler night.

You might also want to take a waist pack, as you won't have decent pockets in the running tights/leggings.

Everyone may be aware of Zappos.com (I get no kickback from them), but if you are in a place (at least in the US) with limited access to running shoes and clothing (also hiking boots, etc), or even if you're not, Zappos has fast free shipping and free returns. Their last season shoes and clothing make for great sales.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Numerous packing list threads reference 'running tights' and skirt or dress combos. Same threads also mention leggings. What are running tights & why do so many recommend wearing them with a skirt? Leggings and tunics I know well. I don't have a clue when it comes to running tights .. brands, material blends, etc. How are they different from my Danskin nylon supplex leggings that I practically live in?

Hi Suzi, Sent you a private message about tights. I'm new at conversations so hope I did it right!

Everyone may be aware of Zappos.com (I get no kickback from them), but if you are in a place (at least in the US) with limited access to running shoes and clothing (also hiking boots, etc), or even if you're not, Zappos has fast free shipping and free returns. Their last season shoes and clothing make for great sales.
If you call in your order or just to ask questions they will switch you to VIP so you get free overnight shipping. If something doesn't fit or you don't like it, they will ship a replacement item overnight & you have a couple weeks to return the original. I went through 3 pairs of boots in 4 days before the holidays last year & only paid for the most expensive pair.

€149,-
If only they made lggings with cargo pockets! .
Saucony has some with stretchy cargo pockets. The style is called Bullet. I didn't realize these are running tights until now. They were breezy feeling early to midsummer in upper 80s to 90 and 90+% humidity. The waistband is wide and stiff, not forgiving, which made me feel I need to workout just to get them on & off. No last minute run to the ladies for me. :) They were comfortable once I got the waist in place & my iPhone 6s Plus had room to spare in the pocket. A passport in a cover would fit easily. I think that minus my fluffy middle bits, they would work well. Two cargo pockets and a key pocket in back. Some of the running tights people have suggested say they are compression tights. The Bullet style is not compression, but does a bit of smoothing out.

Which is why leggings work well with the Macabi skirt because of it huge pockets.

Thanks for the call out on the Macabi skirt! A couple of questions if you don't mind. Several reviews said it repels water and/or they used it to keep legs dry hiking in the rain. Can I use it instead of rain pants? Really don't want rain pants. Also, do the dark colors attract lint?

I love the 'girl' threads! Thanks so much to everyone!

@NualaOC & @Imsundaze thanks for Icebreaker leggings suggestion. Talking myself into a pair for cozy home wear. It isn't cold long enough here to turn on the heat for more than a night so I opt for clothes & throws that can be shed as the day warms up.

@Purple Backpack still processing the PM & wondering if Macabi skirt would be useful in your pungent goop situation. Fun message.

Suzi, I think the Macabi would be ok in a light rain, but I don’t think it would really substitute for rain pants in a downpour. Anemone has a lot more experience in that regard, I think, so might offer a different view. I didn't hike in mine, just changed into it for evenings so rain never really factored in. Regardless, I love my (gray) Macabi so much I bought a second one, in the snazzy, cherry red. Love them both!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Several reviews said it repels water and/or they used it to keep legs dry hiking in the rain. Can I use it instead of rain pants? Really don't want rain pants. Also, do the dark colors attract lint?

If it is only drizzling, no probs, the Macabi does repel the water. If it is raining properly or in a downpour, that skirt gets WET. In heavy rain I shortened it and my poncho did the rest. Your legs dry quickly enough.
From my experience, if it rains heavily, you get very wet whatever you wear.
The good bit is, that skirt dries very, very quickly.
I bought rain pants to walk in the UK, don't like them , I find the Macabi skirt way, way superior. But then it's all subjective :)

Yes, I do the same. I now wear the Macabi almost exclusively. In a heavy downpour I use the clips to shorten it so that it is entirely under my Altus poncho, which comes down to under my knees. My legs get a bit wet but as I am usually warm when walking that does not worry me, and of course it is easy to dry skin. Works perfectly. Well, not perfectly; no-one has yet invented truly breathable waterproof fabric.

Macabi is not a rain suit, bit a super quickly drying garment, that shows no dirt (mine is dark grey). Old model was the pits in terms of fit, but the Canadian$ was good so I bought it and had a good 16 inches taken off the sides. I LOVE ots pockets, and like to pull it over my damp, and uncovered body, until I am trully dry.

Bit back to the topic, its pockets are super deap, and one has a zipper. I wear my valuables, but never in one of those "travel pouches".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmm...love wearing skirt/dress after the trail but never tried hiking in one. Recently hiked with an Australian woman who wore a Kathmandu skirt while hiking in the heat. It looked good (except for the trail runners ;)) and she was really comfortable. It washed and dried fast and I was actually thinking about it if I hike in the heat again. But it was over 100 degrees F and I think I'll time my trips for cooler seasons next time. Would love to hear what you think about the hiking skirts on trial runs pre-Camino!

I also have a Kathmandu hiking skirt (actually two) but don't take them on camino because they don't have the wonderful Macabi pockets. I do wear them at home though. Slightly more fashionable than the Macabi.

€46,-
Cyclists wear leg and arm warmers which saves changing clothing to match conditions.
The leg warmers I use work wet as well as dry so again don't use over trousers unless its really foul weather and cold.
Look at mountain marathon and mountain bike clothing online websites. Once you can find the brands applicable to your country then search on the brands to find best price.
My leg warmers roll up really small and tuck into a small pocket.

So glad to see this discussion again. I know what running tights/leggings are, and they have a weight advantage over the lightweight hiking pants I always wear. They are also extremely comfortable, and I have tried on many pairs (agree with Smallest Sparrow, don't buy cheap and stick with real sports clothes) in the hopes of finding something I could wear. But for me the problem has always been what to wear on top. I just don't feel comfortable with tight leggings on the bottom and a shirt on the top that ends more or less at the waist. I am also slightly limited in my choices because my dermatologist would scream if I wore a collarless or short sleeve shirt. Too much skin cancer to take that risk. So I am waiting with great anticipation to hear what my camino sisters might suggest for the aging peregrinas like me. :)
Good morning! Do check out the line of Armachillo shirts st duluthtrading.com. Look at the short and long sleeved versions, as well as the hoodie. Not only are they super fast drying and moisture wicking, they have a flattering, longer cut that dips down in the front and back, rising slightly higher on the side. The only issue is they are wildly popular, so stock is very low at times. I absolutely love everything about the way my small collection permits, and the fact it is so flattering is a big plus!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Athleta (and other brands) have a "two-in-one" which is running tights with an attached short skirt (goes to upper thigh, covers your bum nicely). I wore mine on the Ingles last year and felt perfectly modest, even if the shirt I was wearing wasn't hip-length.

Good morning! Do check out the line of Armachillo shirts st duluthtrading.com. Look at the short and long sleeved versions, as well as the hoodie. Not only are they super fast drying and moisture wicking, they have a flattering, longer cut that dips down in the front and back, rising slightly higher on the side. The only issue is they are wildly popular, so stock is very low at times. I absolutely love everything about the way my small collection permits, and the fact it is so flattering is a big plus!
Are you a consumer or is your 'small collection' referring to your stock items?

I am a guy, but I will give you my two cents. I use a certain brand of running tights for running, for skiing, for mountain climbing, for hiking and for bicycling. I used them on my Camino.

CW-X stability tights are modern outdoor engineered clothing at its best. The provide built in joint support. They provide core muscle compression that allows to to exercise longer without injury. The compression aspects allow you to recover more quickly from extreme exercise. The compression aspects also allow you to use less energy for a given activity.

http://cw-x.com/how-it-works/

Wouldn't you want to either be less exhausted at the end of a day or be able to travel 20 to 30% farther?

I took two pair with me on my Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a guy, but I will give you my two cents. I use a certain brand of running tights for running, for skiing, for mountain climbing, for hiking and for bicycling. I used them on my Camino.

CW-X stability tights are modern outdoor engineered clothing at its best. The provide built in joint support. They provide core muscle compression that allows to to exercise longer without injury. The compression aspects allow you to recover more quickly from extreme exercise. The compression aspects also allow you to use less energy for a given activity.

http://cw-x.com/how-it-works/

Wouldn't you want to either be less exhausted at the end of a day or be able to travel 20 to 30% farther?

I took two pair with me on my Camino.
Your input is much appreciated @Older Guy! These make sense to me. I will read more about the various styles and choose a pair to test. The knee and core support are particularly appealing.

Hello there, my first post EVER on anything. I plan to walk the Camino next September/October & a well- experienced hiker friend recommended I get Smartwool leggings (only in black) because they wick perspiration, keep you warm if needed, can be a layer under & they look good. I am taking them for these reasons & they will serve as my "pajama" bottoms at night. Hope this helps... oh yes, I ordered them online from REI.

Hello there, my first post EVER on anything. I plan to walk the Camino next September/October & a well- experienced hiker friend recommended I get Smartwool leggings (only in black) because they wick perspiration, keep you warm if needed, can be a layer under & they look good. I am taking them for these reasons & they will serve as my "pajama" bottoms at night. Hope this helps... oh yes, I ordered them online from REI.
@JuanitaOnTheRoad I feel honored that your first ever post was to offer me some helpful advice on SmartWool leggings. You are a true Camino pilgrim. I will definitely check out REI website for the leggings. As you can see from this thread there are many kind and helpful girls on this forum. You will be right at home amongst them. Welcome to the forum & wish you many happy hours planning ahead to your Camino. Let me be the first here to wish you Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for the recommendation! And Buen Camino!

I have some mens running tights from Kathmandu which are really comfortable. But I use then for additional warmth. I do use 2XC compression gear on long walks but compression shorts and calf sleeves. I haven't tried the long compression pants. I recently did a Trailwalker and wore the tights over the compression gear at night.

Numerous packing list threads reference 'running tights' and skirt or dress combos. Same threads also mention leggings...

I wore "tights" with skirts during my whole Camino this past summer.

In my book, there are three more reasons besides thigh chafing to wear "tights" (ie thick nylon stockings) while doing the Camino: ticks, blisters, and convenience.

These nylon, footed-type, of leggings beat "running tights" for ticks, since "running tights" usually don't have feet, so at the least, your ankles are exposed, and the ticks might also have an opening to crawl up your legs. :eek: Plus, ticks can't bite through the nylon. I additionally sprayed my tights with permethrin before leaving home, and walked freely through grassy trails my entire trip. No problems! And one of my (non-tighted) walking partners got covered in ticks, and ended up in hospital, so I know they were there.

The footed type of nylon stockings are also what the army uses as a "sock liner" to prevent blisters. I did not get any blisters with my bobby-socks-over-nylons combo. Of course, buying shoes 0.5-1 size bigger than usual helps too!

Finally, they are *super* light, *super* compact, and dry *really* fast after washing. If they rip or get lost, they're cheap and easy to replace. I actually just carried a teeny plastic bottle if nail polish for repairs, and wore my same two pairs of tights the whole time, holes and all. :oops::D

So for my 2 cents, might as well get 3-for-1 coverage and lighten your load by wearing thick nylon footed-type tights instead of running tights.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cyclists wear leg and arm warmers which saves changing clothing to match conditions.
The leg warmers I use work wet as well as dry so again don't use over trousers unless its really foul weather and cold.
Look at mountain marathon and mountain bike clothing online websites. Once you can find the brands applicable to your country then search on the brands to find best price.
My leg warmers roll up really small and tuck into a small pocket.

I totally did this!! I only packed tank tops, and then packed home-made nylon arm warmers. Perfect versatility!! In combination with a pashmina scarf, the arm warmers kept me warm on cool days (I didn't pack a coat-- it was June/July). Plus, they didn't get sweaty like a long sleeved shirt would, so I didn't need to wash them much, and when I did, they dried super fast. I liked them so much that after returning home, I keep them in my purse every day now!

I'm a Macabi skirt, legging wearer on my caminos. One thing to do before you leave for Spain is experiment with washing and air drying the leggings. I have 3-4 different brands that are all comfortable and all labeled "quick dry". Try hand washing them and air drying in a few different conditions and use the ones that dry the fastest/overnight. You may be staying somewhere without a dryer and putting on a pair of cold clammy wet leggings is not so comfortable!!

I don't know about ticks in Spain but certainly know about the blackberry bushes and their thorns. Walking through them barelegfed is not an option.

I brought this one with 25% discount.. yeeyyyy Loved this...

flame-patterned-printed-pant_61-420x620.jpg

From here: https://www.alanic.com/shopping/fitness/fitness-leggings/flame-patterned-printed-pant/

All these are used to prevent chaffing between the tights of those of use who aren't exactly slim ;-) If chaffing isn't a problem for you, you don't need them when walking. Buen Camino, SY
Your's was one of the first books I bought when planning my April 2020 Camino - Thank you so much! Lots of good information!

€46,-
I brought this one with 25% discount.. yeeyyyy Loved this...
From here: https://www.alanic.com/shopping/fitness/fitness-leggings/flame-patterned-printed-pant/

Hello there,
Thanks for sharing site is very helpful & all products are too good. I have one question to ask you can you please suggest me your site which is the company belong & which material to make. Because of my company need good quality products & stretchable because running a day not any issue create.

I pack running leggings and a top when walking (Ron Hill brand - but I think any running brand would do). I've also taken them on sailing trips. They provide good insulation for very little weight. They fit under anything else that I might want to wear and they dry very quickly. This means that I can use them as an insulating base layer, or as pyjamas, or as something to wear when my other clothes are in the wash - I find them so valuable that I am happy to suffer the teasing of unenlightened crew members. My only criticism of them is that the synthetic material doesn't smell great after use. I am about to invest in a merino wool version, which should smell better but won't last as long and will cost more.

I took my merino leggings. I wore them as pj bottoms, and, because I won’t wear waterproof overtrousers, I wear them underneath my walking trousers in heavy rain (there’s quite a lot of it hereabouts 🙂 )

Nothing lasts as long as Ron Hill running leggings 😄 .. my men’s pair (women’s were nonexistent) from the early 80s are lurking in the airing cupboard, still in good (enough) shape. I keep thinking I should take them to the charity shop, but they came with me on so many adventures that I just can’t do it .... 😉

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.