• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rush hour

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
I will be walking with some friends in September from Ocebriero. A bad choice for crowds, I know and have thought of switching to the Portuguese but as it is their first am still leaning to the Frances. Any suggestions for coping with the crowds, timing of departures, detours etc will be appreciated. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, it’s crowded, and yes the bed race is a real and very unpleasant phenomenon, but it could be worse:

Instead of waiting for hours at 29,000 feet to take a selfie on a piece of mountain the size of two ping pong tables while risking death by fall or altitude sickness, the pilgrim wait for the compostela seems tame by comparison!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What do your friends want from their Camino? There are plus's and minus's for doing Frances in Sept. Yes there were a lot of people but it did not stop me enjoying my Camino. And numbers thinned out as day went on. I am doing Sarria to SdC again this Sept and looking forward to it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stick with your plan of beginning in O Cebreiro. The route is far more appealing than the Portugués (assuming you would begin in Tuy). The stages from Tuy to Santiago involve a lot of walking on pavement and on the shoulders of fairly trafficky roads. And neither the scenery nor the albergues are as nice as those found on the Galician stages of the Francés.

Last edited:
I loved the walk through Galicia - some of the best scenery around. It is very rural, lots of small farms, very green, lots of mysterious and misty places. You can feel the magic in the air.

Once we hit Sarria, things did get more crowded, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We had a lot of solitude too. If we ended up walking by a big group, it was easy to take a break and let them move ahead or just keep walking when they took a break.

The advice not to stay at the end of the Bierley stages is a good one. Before Sarria, we sort of took it as it came, stopping when we wanted to, but after Sarria, we made a point to always stop mid-stage.

I did notice a change in energy and vibe on the Camino after we passed Sarria though - things did feel different. People didn't seem quite as friendly and open as before - both pilgrims and locals. I think it is just because there are so many more people after Sarria. It wasn't bad, per se, and no one was rude or anything, but I did notice a subtle change.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your approach and experience with that stretch of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago mirrors my own, November Moon. Despite what we were all cautioned to expect, it was not difficult (for me) to achieve the solitude I appreciated elsewhere on the Camino Frances. I was probably too self-absorbed to discern any subtle change in vibe as I luxuriated in—as you elegantly describe—the mist and mystery of Galicia.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back