• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta 99: A Scenic Tour of Valencia's Villages with Fewer than 100 Residents

peregrina2000

Staff member
A new initiative by the Valencian regional government has come up with a Route 66-type logo and an announcement that their “Ruta 99” will take people to 24 villages in Valencia. These villages were selected because they are the 24 villages in Valencia with fewer than 100 residents.

I’m guessing that they came up with the Ruta 99 name just by turning the Route 66 numbers upside down, but I’m not sure about that.

There is no single itinerary connecting all of the villages, so I’m assuming there is no marking, but the website does offer itineraries. You just click on the pueblo you want to go to, and up pops several ideas about how to combine it with other pueblos. Sellos are available.

I wish them luck with this ambitious project! Sort of “Camino de Santiago meets Route 66.”

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm Currently in Valencia on an academic exchange and have just found my weekend activity. Thank you for the tip, it will be good training for the Levante when I finish my studies in June.

I would love to hear how it goes and which pueblos you decide to walk to.

Same here.
Not that we already have so many Camino's, but it would be nice to walk one off the beaten path in conjunction with providing a revenue boost to that local area as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is no single itinerary connecting all of the villages, so I’m assuming there is no marking, but the website does offer itineraries.
Right, it is not really a 'route', but a catalog of places to visit or where there are senders (GRs, PRs..) to walk.
In some case it can be possible to link one place to other by walking, but it is not general, neither planned.
Sellos are available.
Those sellos are aimed to register the places you visit, and when you have a certain quantity of them, in all three provincies of the region, you can ask por a gift (a 'Route 99' rucksak)
Oh, it just occurred to me that the “99” also refers to the fact that these are the 24 villages in the Comunidad Valenciana with fewer than 100 inhabitants
Yes this is the reason for the name. The intention of the initiative is to promote turism in areas of villages with few population in order to activate their economy and avoid they turn in dead-villages.

This is a good initiative, and it is fairly designed, but what turned unpleasant for the pilgrim comunity of the region is when our politics named it ''un camino de Santiago a la valenciana''.
- El Camino de Santiago is a continous route, 'route 99' is not,
- El Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage route, 'route 99' is not,
- what they call 'credencial' is anonimous and does not accredit anybody, it is just a book to collect the stamps.

But those politics know that the Camino is attractive for people, and has economical impact, so they didn't doubt using this unconvenient expression.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.