• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta de los Santuarios (Liébana - Oviedo)

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so moderators feel free to remove it.

I just read a message from the Asturian government on Twitter in which they say they are planning a new route. It seems to connect the Camino Lebaniego to the Camino Salvador and the Camino Primitivo. I couldn't find stages yet, but it must go straight through the Picos de Europa. It connects several sanctuaries: Santo Toribio de Liébana - Covadonga - Virgen de la Cueva (Infiesto) - Oviedo.

This is the tweet:

They stated that they have met up with the municipalities involved and that the future Ruta de los Santuarios has become more concrete. It seems that they hope to realise the new route this year already.

It would make various interesting combinations possible! And wow, straight through the Picos!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, must be the same route that they first called La Ruta de Covadonga, with these 10 stages:

1ª. Santo Toribio de Liébana - Sotres (25 Km.)
2ª. Sotres - Poncebos (14 Km.)
3ª. Poncebos - Lagos de Enol (18 Km.)
4ª Lagos de Enol -Covadonga (15 Km.)
5ª. Covadonga - Cangas de Onís (16 Km.)
6ª. Cangas de Onís - La Matosa (Piloña) (16 Km.)
7ª. La Matosa - Espinaredo (Piloña) (19 Km.)
8ª. Espinaredo - Puente Miera (12 Km.)
9ª. Puente Miera - Nava (17Km.)
10ª. Nava - Oviedo (34Km.)

More information (in Spanish):

This is an older thread I just found on the forum:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When can we go! Oh if the borders are open by July maybe we'll carry on from Potes... and I might allow an extra day or two to walk to Fuenta De again! Oh my! :D LOVE this!

Thank you!

Ah, must be the same route that they first called La Ruta de Covadonga, with these 10 stages:

1ª. Santo Toribio de Liébana - Sotres (25 Km.)
2ª. Sotres - Poncebos (14 Km.)
3ª. Poncebos - Lagos de Enol (18 Km.)
4ª Lagos de Enol -Covadonga (15 Km.)
5ª. Covadonga - Cangas de Onís (16 Km.)
6ª. Cangas de Onís - La Matosa (Piloña) (16 Km.)
7ª. La Matosa - Espinaredo (Piloña) (19 Km.)
8ª. Espinaredo - Puente Miera (12 Km.)
9ª. Puente Miera - Nava (17Km.)
10ª. Nava - Oviedo (34Km.)

More information (in Spanish):

This is an older thread I just found on the forum:
Poncebos - Lagos de Enol is a classic stage in Picos. 900mts altitude gain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am fascinated by this, although I am unsure where it might fit into my few future pilgrim treks. With a 900 m. altitude gain, it had better be soon.
900 mts in Picos and Pyrinees is not too much. My record is 1700. Peak Posets (3371) in the Pyrinees from refugio Viadors, 20 years ago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
900 mts in Picos and Pyrinees is not too much. My record is 1700. Peak Posets (3371) in the Pyrinees from refugio Viadors, 20 years ago.
And I have walked over a few mountains in the Rockies. But in my 70's and with a new knee, I prefer not to risk a collapse when part way. Nonetheless, I shall look into this route sometime soon.

Poncebos - Lagos de Enol is a classic stage in Picos. 900mts altitude gain.
You forgot to mention that you won't just gain 962mts altitude but would also walk 1843mts downhill on that stage 😁

The problem will be lodging though... You would at least have to adjust the official stages...

1ª. Santo Toribio de Liébana - Sotres (25 Km.) -> possible, but beware of competition from tourists
2ª. Sotres - Poncebos (14 Km.) -> limited options
3ª. Poncebos - Lagos de Enol (18 Km.) -> nothing there...
4ª Lagos de Enol -Covadonga (15 Km.) -> limited, expensive, massive competition from tourists
5ª. Covadonga - Cangas de Onís (16 Km.) -> several options, competition with tourists
6ª. Cangas de Onís - La Matosa (Piloña) (16 Km.) -> tiny village, nothing there I guess
7ª. La Matosa - Espinaredo (Piloña) (19 Km.) -> only casas rurales I am afraid
8ª. Espinaredo - Puente Miera (12 Km.) -> a couple of buildings, maybe a bar
9ª. Puente Miera - Nava (17Km.) -> several options
10ª. Nava - Oviedo (34Km.) -> plenty of options (but long stage)

Looks like they don't have pilgrims in mind, but rather tourists who stay in the region, want to make daytrips and have 2 cars...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so moderators feel free to remove it.

I just read a message from the Asturian government on Twitter in which they say they are planning a new route. It seems to connect the Camino Lebaniego to the Camino Salvador and the Camino Primitivo. I couldn't find stages yet, but it must go straight through the Picos de Europa. It connects several sanctuaries: Santo Toribio de Liébana - Covadonga - Virgen de la Cueva (Infiesto) - Oviedo.

This is the tweet:

They stated that they have met up with the municipalities involved and that the future Ruta de los Santuarios has become more concrete. It seems that they hope to realise the new route this year already.

It would make various interesting combinations possible! And wow, straight through the Picos!
Sounds good. Santo Toribio and Oviedo were both pilgrim destinations in their own right and it passes through a beautiful part of Spain. The Primitivo, of course, begins at Oviedo so you could carry on to Santiago, and there is the Vadinense from the Frances.

The problem will be lodging though... You would at least have to adjust the official stages...

1ª. Santo Toribio de Liébana - Sotres (25 Km.) -> possible, but beware of competition from tourists
2ª. Sotres - Poncebos (14 Km.) -> limited options
3ª. Poncebos - Lagos de Enol (18 Km.) -> nothing there...
4ª Lagos de Enol -Covadonga (15 Km.) -> limited, expensive, massive competition from tourists
5ª. Covadonga - Cangas de Onís (16 Km.) -> several options, competition with tourists
6ª. Cangas de Onís - La Matosa (Piloña) (16 Km.) -> tiny village, nothing there I guess
7ª. La Matosa - Espinaredo (Piloña) (19 Km.) -> only casas rurales I am afraid
8ª. Espinaredo - Puente Miera (12 Km.) -> a couple of buildings, maybe a bar
9ª. Puente Miera - Nava (17Km.) -> several options
10ª. Nava - Oviedo (34Km.) -> plenty of options (but long stage)

Looks like they don't have pilgrims in mind, but rather tourists who stay in the region, want to make daytrips and have 2 cars...

There is a refugio https://refugiovegadeenol.com/ at Lagos de Enol, it will have to be booked ahead in the summer months. This route and the previous posting about it from several years ago was on my options for a Xacobeo Camino for this year until the Pandemic came along.
The sections can be altered as well, the Covadonga to Cangas de Onis is quite a tough 16km, someone walked a variant and did it as a 9km but still off road, if I did this next year in the Xacobeo extension then this would lose an etapa and give Cangas as my etapa end from Lagos de Enol.
For anyone who has walked into Oviedo by either the San Salvador or the Norte link up will probably remember a lot of asphalt, there is a blog by a man who walked from Covadonga to Oviedo on this route, and while the section from Nava is big 34km, he remarked that it beats the other two for being more off road and on natural paths.

Here is the blog of the man who walked from Covadonga to Oviedo on a GR route, which will be roughly the one they will use for the new Camino, he used a 2 day link up route from Llanes to arrive in Covadonga. I'm not sure where I saw the shorter variant for Cangas de Onis, it is out there I will have retrace my browsing to find it again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a refugio https://refugiovegadeenol.com/ at Lagos de Enol, it will have to be booked ahead in the summer months. This route and the previous posting about it from several years ago was on my options for a Xacobeo Camino for this year until the Pandemic came along.
The sections can be altered as well, the Covadonga to Cangas de Onis is quite a tough 16km, someone walked a variant and did it as a 9km but still off road, if I did this next year in the Xacobeo extension then this would lose an etapa and give Cangas as my etapa end from Lagos de Enol.
For anyone who has walked into Oviedo by either the San Salvador or the Norte link up will probably remember a lot of asphalt, there is a blog by a man who walked from Covadonga to Oviedo on this route, and while the section from Nava is big 34km, he remarked that it beats the other two for being more off road and on natural paths.

Thanks for your correction! I didn't know you could actually stay there.

I know there are two ways of walking from Covadonga to Cangas de Onís. A difficult (but most likely very beautiful) track and an easy option. But roughly half of that easy option is along the road, and it is all on asphalt. Totally save I think, but nothing spectacular.

The difficult one:

The easy one:

Edit: I took a closer look at the difficult one and it doesn't seem that hard. I mean, if you survived the stages before, this will almost be a piece of cake. A climb of 524 metres and then 706 metres downhill. The difficult part is in between Covadonga and Següencu, because of mud, overgrown paths and markers that are hard to find. But this might change if they want to make it part of this new ruta (however this stage is already part of a GR).

Last edited:
That could be the alternative route, but I am sure I saw it as a blog rather than wikiloc, there is very little difference anyway.
I was probably thinking aloud regarding this variant, I'm not sure if I could get 4 weeks off next year, which is really what I need once I get off the boat in Santander to take in this option, so all my researching has been around where I could get shave a bit off here and there so I could fit it into a 3 week itinerary, its not going to happen, my knees would give up. The other option for me is do the walk in 2 stages next year, the 1st bit from my house in Exeter and onto Plymouth and then Santander and Santo Toribio. Then come back a few weeks later to do the 21/22 etapas to Santiago.
A big thanks for posting this @Luka I had given up on waiting for them to sort it out, it seems like they might just be doing this route now.

That could be the alternative route, but I am sure I saw it as a blog rather than wikiloc, there is very little difference anyway.
I was probably thinking aloud regarding this variant, I'm not sure if I could get 4 weeks off next year, which is really what I need once I get off the boat in Santander to take in this option, so all my researching has been around where I could get shave a bit off here and there so I could fit it into a 3 week itinerary, its not going to happen, my knees would give up. The other option for me is do the walk in 2 stages next year, the 1st bit from my house in Exeter and onto Plymouth and then Santander and Santo Toribio. Then come back a few weeks later to do the 21/22 etapas to Santiago.
A big thanks for posting this @Luka I had given up on waiting for them to sort it out, it seems like they might just be doing this route now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This " new" route from the Sanctuary de Liebana to Oviedo sounds to be something very special. Does the planned Camino route go north or south of the Picos park?

Has anybody walked from San Toribio to Covadonga this year and cares to share tge status of this route pls?

Funny I ran into this thread. I plan on doing this route in a few weeks. Will be doing Norte to Santander, then detour to Garabandal, west to Potes and Santo Toribio, then right into the Ruta de la Reconquista, out in Covadonga to Oviedo and finishing off in Santiago.
I do not know anybody who has done it, but I spoke with a lady at the pilgrims office in Cantabria and she told me it is very much doable.
Would love to hear your comments! Thanks

Funny I ran into this thread. I plan on doing this route in a few weeks. Will be doing Norte to Santander, then detour to Garabandal, west to Potes and Santo Toribio, then right into the Ruta de la Reconquista, out in Covadonga to Oviedo and finishing off in Santiago.
I do not know anybody who has done it, but I spoke with a lady at the pilgrims office in Cantabria and she told me it is very much doable.
Would love to hear your experience. I didn’t know Garabandal was there as well. Pls do share. Thank you!

I will also be interested in your exact route from Garabandal to Potes. From looking at it on Google Maps, I see no direct route across. Will you be going cross country and doing a wild camp night around Pena Sagra?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back