• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta de Padre Martín Sarmiento from Combarro to Santiago de Compostela

gollygolly

Time of past OR future Camino
2000/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/2021/22/23
Very interested if anyone who is familiar with this Camino could advise if this is a commonly or a rarely walked route, and if accommodation space at albergues is easy or difficult to find.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance given.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a home in one of the towns this route passes through, so I know the area very well. In my opinion, it is far more beautiful than anything you will see on the Portugues. Surprisingly, I think very few people know about it. While I have seen the yellow arrows in my town, I have only ever seen a couple of peregrinos passing through in the last several summers. That being said, all of the towns are beach towns with a wide range of accommodations. No albergues that I am aware of ( with the exception of Vilanova de Arousa, which is a stop on the Variante Espiritual, and Padron, which is where this route connects back to the central Portugues ), but definitely affordable hostals, etc. I have a suspicion that as more people opt for the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra (on the Portugues), more may discover this route as well. I recall seeing a Youtube video created by the local government to promote the route several years ago. Perhaps you've seen it too?

I agree with Cmeckley. The bad news is: it's not a well known Camino, so it's unlikely there's a lot of information about it.

The good news is: there's a website (in English) about it (and the Camino Espiritual). The site not only has information about albergues and other places to sleep, but also a guidebook (PDF) and the GPS-track. Both are free to download:

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
By the way: if you prefer the GPS-track in .gpx format, you can find the tracks on Wikiloc. Search for 'Ruta del Padre Sarmiento).

Nate and I did a morning trip to the Isla de Arousa and saw a group walking this trail and quite a few signs for it. It seemed well marked, at least in Isla de Arousa. Not many pilgrims know about it, and I believe it was only established a couple of years ago. It definitely takes you to some of the most beautiful areas of Galicia, and like @Cmeckley I don't think there are any albergues. But there will be plenty of hotels in the towns (and vacationers in July and August, so perhaps try to walk in May, June, or September when kids are in school) and restaurants/ cafes, etc. Here's the official PDF for the route: http://www.osalnes.com/downloads/the-route-of-father-sarmiento.pdf.

I REALLY REALLY want to do this trail one day! Keep us posted if you go!
Faith

Nate and I did a morning trip to the Isla de Arousa and saw a group walking this trail and quite a few signs for it. It seemed well marked, at least in Isla de Arousa. Not many pilgrims know about it, and I believe it was only established a couple of years ago. It definitely takes you to some of the most beautiful areas of Galicia, and like @Cmeckley I don't think there are any albergues. But there will be plenty of hotels in the towns (and vacationers in July and August, so perhaps try to walk in May, June, or September when kids are in school) and restaurants/ cafes, etc. Here's the official PDF for the route: http://www.osalnes.com/downloads/the-route-of-father-sarmiento.pdf.

I REALLY REALLY want to do this trail one day! Keep us posted if you go!
Faith

Many thanks for your input, and yes, if the opportunity opens for us to lace up our boots and slip on the backpacks to walk this route, will write up and post an account of how the walk unfolds.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Cmeckley. The bad news is: it's not a well known Camino, so it's unlikely there's a lot of information about it.

The good news is: there's a website (in English) about it (and the Camino Espiritual). The site not only has information about albergues and other places to sleep, but also a guidebook (PDF) and the GPS-track. Both are free to download:

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your response. It looks so appealing, and were personal circumstances permitting, I would be setting out without delay. Current family circumstances mean that at this time most planning is for the following 24 - 48 hours only, though I am itching for the healing that I have always felt comes on the Camino.

I have a home in one of the towns this route passes through, so I know the area very well. In my opinion, it is far more beautiful than anything you will see on the Portugues. Surprisingly, I think very few people know about it. While I have seen the yellow arrows in my town, I have only ever seen a couple of peregrinos passing through in the last several summers. That being said, all of the towns are beach towns with a wide range of accommodations. No albergues that I am aware of ( with the exception of Vilanova de Arousa, which is a stop on the Variante Espiritual, and Padron, which is where this route connects back to the central Portugues ), but definitely affordable hostals, etc. I have a suspicion that as more people opt for the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra (on the Portugues), more may discover this route as well. I recall seeing a Youtube video created by the local government to promote the route several years ago. Perhaps you've seen it too?

Thanks for the input, which is very appreciated.

The planning is all very last minute, though circumstances are what they are. Have now booked so as to commence from Pontevedra on Thursday 15th August, and am very excited at returning to Santiago along what looks to be a very beautiful, if not a very 'popular', route.

With the lack of strong gradients, it will be something of a stroll compared with some other routes, but will be uplifting to the spirit, which is what is required !

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

Very interested if anyone who is familiar with this Camino could advise if this is a commonly or a rarely walked route, and if accommodation space at albergues is easy or difficult to find.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance given.
Hi
I am walking the spiritual variante at the moment. The scenery is amazing. The route is very well marked. We had no problem getting accommodation. We stayed in the monastery in poio highly recommended and you can book through booking.com. There is an alburgue in armenteira 6e -you cannot book in advance but they have 34 beds so should be no problem. There were a good few pilgrims there but other than that hardly met anyone else when walking. I've done a few caminos and this route is the most beautiful and peaceful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have now booked so as to commence from Pontevedra on Thursday 15th August, and am very excited at returning to Santiago along what looks to be a very beautiful, if not a very 'popular', route.
Hi!
I plan to walk the Ruta Padre Sarmiento starting 06 September (flying to Porto and bussing to Pontevedra). Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
Cheers and buen camino.

Hi, I'm struggling to download the pdf. Could someone who has downloaded it PM me for my email address and send it to me? Many many thanks! Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!
I plan to walk the Ruta Padre Sarmiento starting 06 September (flying to Porto and bussing to Pontevedra). Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
Cheers and buen camino.

Will try and get something written and posted about the walk !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!
Cheers and buen camino.

Camino Portuguese / Variant Espiritual and the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento.

If you wish to walk the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento and also to obtain the Compostela, do read this !

As the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento is not, at least at the moment, an officially recognised route, and despite being over 190kms in distance, should you commence walking at Pontevedra, your walk will NOT qualify to receive a Compestela.

At the minimum there is a need to commence at Tui and to walk the stages between Tui and Pontevedra, which is a total distance of about 55kms. This will then allow the Credencial to reflect that you walked on the Camino Portuguese between Tui and Santiago, and qualify for the Compestela.

And so to the walk.

On departing Pontevedra, follow the usual route taken by all peregrino heading north on the Camino Portuguese, which is well indicated. At the point where the Camino divides and the possibility for taking the Variant Espiritual, turn left as indicated. The sign indicating the turn is very prominent and would be hard to not see.

In turning left and stepping on to the Variant Espiritual, the majority of the peregrinos walking on the Camino Portuguese will be left behind, as the majority will continue to walk on the ‘regular’ Camino.

From this divide where the walk turns left it is both the Variant Espiritual and the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento.

The Camino will pass Poio, where there is the Monasterio de Poio (Hospedería Mosteiro Mercedrio de Poio).

This is a convenient stop should you wish it to not have too arduous a first day, as well as being in a beautiful place with a wonderful ‘energy’. In the grounds there is also to be found the longest ‘hórreo’ that I have seen in Galicia, and at over 33 metres long is almost certainly the longest that you will ever see.

There are also plenty of opportunities to eat within a reasonable distance from the Monastery, including in Comborro, a very picturesque fishing village which is now moderately touristic.

It is in Combarro that the turn away from the Variant Espiritual to the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento is to be found - see the attached. For those walking on the Variant Espiritual, the Camino continues upwards with the turn that veers to the right, while for those choosing the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento, the turn is to the left and past the former fisherman’s houses and small ‘hórreo’ along the route, the majority of which are now given over to restaurants and shops providing the usual tourist offerings.

Nonetheless, the area is extraordinarily picturesque.

The stages from this point will be a personal choice connected with how much time is available as well as your budget. There is a need to take into account that between Pontevedra and Vilanova de Arousa, all overnight accommodation will be at hotels / private hostel / Airbnb or camping. There are no Albergue !

While there are no Albergue, should the route be walked outside of the peak tourist season, it is almost certainly the case that overnight accommodation will not be ridiculously expensive. There are also excellent eating opportunities for almost the entire route.

The final overnight along the road before we rejoined the Variant Espiritual was on the island of Arousa, waking early so as to arrive at Vilanova de Arousa in time to take the Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) [Tours Rias Baixas contact phone 00 34 680 733 990 or www.toursriasbaixas.com/es/contact] that would take us, long with eight other Peregrino’s, to Pontecesures, which is just outside Padron. This journey up the Rio Ulla qualifies as being part of the Camino, and certainly would be of interest to those who like to have a distinct stamp in the Credencial, as well as quite an exhilarating ride on the river.

From Padrón, the Camino is the last stretch for most of the various strands of the different routes coming up from Portugal. It is consequently a quite busy stretch of Camino, though if you are seeking something of a refuge from the masses, strongly suggest diverting from Padrón to Herbón, about 6kms away, where there is the stunning Monasterio de Herbón, which provides the warmest of welcomes to peregrinos, and a great Camino experience for the body, mind and soul.

Hope that the above helps, and also refer to the following for more information

https://www.rutapadresarmiento.com/

http://www.osalnes.com/en/discover/activities/the-route-of-father-sarmiento

https://www.caminodesantiago.gal/en/make-plans/the-ways/the-mar-de-arousa-and-rio-ulla-route
along the river from Vilanova de Arousa
https://www.labarcadelperegrino.com/home.html
naviera@bahiasub.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 11.49.59.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 11.49.59.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 6

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am about to set off on the Camino Portuguese and intend to take the Variante Espiritual. Due to nothing but my own stupidity I realise that I have a spare 4 days between Pontevedra and SDC...
Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back