• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta Del Mar - Why do so few pilgrims take it?

CDance

Time of past OR future Camino
None (Yet)
We are walking the Northern Route beginning in Aviles next week. We are considering going north from Ridadeo for a section of the Ruta del Mar. (or Cantabrica or Camino Naturales - what are the differences?)
The few posts I've seen from this area are years old. Why is it not more utilized? We are not Spanish speakers, Is that a particular problem on this route? Is the infrastructure a problem?

Any help at all is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The answer to your question is likely that the Ruta del Mar only recently became recognized as eligible for a Compostela. See this thread.

There are some other threads in this section of the forum that are not years old. Perhaps you didn't scroll down past the 2 pinned threads that are a few years old. (I will have a more careful look, and perhaps it is time to unpin them even though they are great threads.)

The route will take a bit of time to become better known. If you walk it, please post about it!

We are walking the Northern Route beginning in Aviles next week. We are considering going north from Ridadeo for a section of the Ruta del Mar. (or Cantabrica or Camino Naturales - what are the differences?)
The few posts I've seen from this area are years old. Why is it not more utilized? We are not Spanish speakers, Is that a particular problem on this route? Is the infrastructure a problem?

Thanks!
Forum member @Sara_Dhooma walked this route recently and has posted videos from Ribadeo up to somewhere outside of Covas. I believe she has finished the route and is posting post hoc.

Magwood’s blog may be a few years old but I don’t think much has changed.

Looks like a lot of vacationer and surfer accommodation, so people who are looking for pilgrim albergues are not going to gravitate towards this route right now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Forum member @Sara_Dhooma walked this route recently and has posted videos from Ribadeo up to somewhere outside of Covas. I believe she has finished the route and is posting post hoc.

Magwood’s blog may be a few years old but I don’t think much has changed.

Looks like a lot of vacationer and surfer accommodation, so people who are looking for pilgrim albergues are not going to gravitate towards this route right now.
Thanks for posting about the YouTube videos from Sara Dhooma and have just started watching Day 1 of her experience walking the Ruta del Mar

Thanks!
My husband and I walked Rut del Mar in June this year and as previously said it has only been recently recognised. While Sara walked the route there are many different ways you can walk and as you guessed the infrastructure is not as complete as othe tracks I have walked. However their are plent of towns/villages with accommodation but it may determine which track you take. We enjoyed it and mostly stayed at small family hotels.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.