• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta do Mar (and Camino Inglés) - insights and recommendations for July ‘21

Thomas Christensen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte & Camino Portuguese
Hi everyone!

After I’ve finished walking Camino Invierno, I will maybe walk Ruta Do Mar/Camino Inglés (around 11 days).

I’ve done Camino Inglés before, in ‘15, and liked it alot, but wouldn’t mind repeating it, since I expect it has changed a lot (also did in 3 days back then to “test” myself a little bit, and will probably do it a bit slower this time 😊).

Do Mar on the other hand are totally new terrain for me and not so many new threads in here. I have the 2019 Cicerone guidebook, “Camino Inglés and Ruta do Mar”), which should be very helpful, but it might be a bit outdated too, mostly due to Covid-19. Therefore I’d highly appreciate inputs on:
  • Specific recommendations (things/towns/albergues which I shouldn’t miss, challenges, insights on recommodation/albergues, also due to the fact that, the possibilities maybe be somehow limited).
  • Specific circumstances related to Covid-19 I should be aware of.

Thank you in advance! 😀

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Thomas. I walked (my version of) the Ruta do Mar in 2016 after walking the Norte as far as Ribadeo. I opted to stick to the coastline where the RdM turned inland. It was spectacular walking. I posted links to my blog on this thread and there is some very useful and welcome input from @Charrito included in the thread, as indeed there also is in the comments on my daily blog posts.

There were no albergues when I walked but I stayed in some lovely accommodation most nights. I took a couple of side trips that might interest you. If you have any specific questions, please ask and I will help if I can.

I also continued to Santiago on the Camino Ingles.

Last edited:
We used private accommodation in 2015, all pre booked.There were no albergues. Some places to recommend when using computer, not easy on this little screen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like @Magwood we walked before there was a guide book and made our own plans based on the Lugo Camino group's route but not their stages.
Our route in 2015 took us past the basilica of San Martiño de Mondoñedo. Well worth a visit if still on the recognised route and access can be gained at the Tourist office behind the basilica.
We could recommend a day in Viveiro which has a number of interesting historical buildings and streets.
More info on our trip, back in 2015, is in the blog Camino 2015, with that included, but I expect much will have changed after 6 years and Covid-19. (The Camino posts are under June and July with our return journey and time in Pravia posted in August although we actually walked in May.)
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Be sure to check out Oli Vita Hostel in Viveiro. Not only is it the rare hostel on the Mar, it's also run by Oliva, who is a huge advocate for the Mar. She has been actively involved in the big push for official recognition and she'll be a great resource on your walk: https://olivitahostel.wixsite.com/olivitahostel

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back