• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RYAN AIR Check-in Beware

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
If you have pre-purchased seats on Ryan Air be advised that you MUST confirm and check in online at least 2 hours before your flight or they will not honor your tickets unless you pay them an additional 50€ each. If you are flying out on the 6:30am flight you won't be able to check in prior to the 2 hour deadline because the ticket counter won't be open that early. They will tell you that they emailed and texted reminders but mine never came through until after I landed in Madrid. I hope this helps those who follow me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes...low cost carriers. Happy for the price but I was surprised by a recent experience I had with Iberia Air. It's very important that you check in online as soon as it is possible to do so for your flight and get that boarding pass and seat assignment! I had multi connections in my journey to Santiago and couldn't check in online for the Iberia, Madrid to Santiago leg before I left home.

When I tried to check in during two following layovers, I couldn't get on the website. When I arrived in Madrid, 2 hours before my Iberia flight, I checked in at a kiosk and was given a standby boarding pass and was ultimately bumped off the flight at the gate. Iberia overbooks considerably - there were about 25 people with paid tickets who could not get on that flight.

I did ultimately get compensated with an overnight hotel room, meal vouchers, transport from and to the airport, and 250 euro. Grateful for that but it was a very confusing almost 3 hour chaotic process getting the compensation - waiting in lines and getting shuffled to different customer service counters. I was given a flight out the next morning but it altered the plans for the start of my camino which all things considered wasn't as bad as some other folks I talked to who were missing family events that were happening that evening.

This overbooking policy seems like fraud to me. In booking and purchasing a ticket you enter into a contract that should be honoured. It is also extremely tough on the front line employees who aren't responsible for making the policy. The anger and abuse that I witnessed being directed toward them must be incredibly stressful to deal with daily.

Many of the low-cost airlines have very strict terms and conditions on their basic fares and charge punitive fees for those who do not abide by them. This also applies to size limits on cabin baggage and additional charges for checked baggage not ordered at the time of booking. Ryanair is well known for being particularly strict in applying such charges. The additional charge for check-in at the airport is punitively large - often exceeding the price paid for the flight itself. The airlines want to minimise the number of staff employed at the airport to handle flights and so reduce their operating costs. Discouraging check-in at the airport is an important element in this. Ryanair's booking website makes it clear that online check-in is the norm and that additional fees will be charged for check-in at the airport. The OP's experience is unfortunate but it is not a "scam" for Ryanair to apply their normal published additional fees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I usually would buy Ryanair pre allocated seats just for the flight home. It means that you can check-in for the flight home before you leave. That way you can preload all the check-in stress before you leave. For €5 it saves a lot of stress. I booked my flights from dub to Madrid return for about €75. And the bus from Madrid to Burgos and Leon to Burgos will cost €37. Incredible value if you compare the two if you ask me. Add the €30 per day and my 10 day Camino will cost about €400 full board! And an incredible experience guaranteed!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just flown to Spain and back with Ryanair and I can confirm the method @simeon explained works well. Buy allocated seats and sort out the check in for both flights before you leave. Little stress.
Are you saying that if you pay extra when your purchase your seat to decide where you want to sit you will not have to "checkin" online 48 hours before the flight? I have always just checked in online when receiving the prompting email from them, but if the email doesn't arrive on time, as the OP says happened to him .... that would be easy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What I am saying is that if you sort everything out and check in before you leave then you will not forget to check in when walking and everything is sorted.
Sorry to be picking but what do you mean by "sort everything out and check in before you leave"? They don't let you check in just after purchasing the ticket, but only a couple of days before the flight. No?

Are you saying that if you pay extra when your purchase your seat to decide where you want to sit you will not have to "checkin" online 48 hours before the flight?

If you pay the extra charge to choose a specific seat at the time of booking - up to 60 days in advance of the flight - then there is no need for any further check-in. You are given an allocated seat number and can print a boarding pass immediately.
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/usefu...rview/Priority-boarding-allocated-seating#0-0

Anemone - they let you check in well before if you book a seat (you pay a little extra).
Ryanair terms - Online check-in opens 60 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers can be allocated a seat free of charge if they check-in online between 4 days and 2 hours before each booked flight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anemone - they let you check in well before if you book a seat (you pay a little extra).
Ryanair terms - Online check-in opens 60 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers can be allocated a seat free of charge if they check-in online between 4 days and 2 hours before each booked flight.
Thank you for clarifying, I did not know that.

Last summer when I flew with Ryanair out of TSF (Treviso, Italy) to London Stansted I did have printed boarding pass but the confirmation on my smart phone was enough. Even more so on return from Santiago through Madrid to Venice when they just asked for my passport and that was it. Was I just lucky? :)

€83,-
Re an electronic boarding pass on RyanAir - that's ok IF you have a passport from a European country - but READ THE LARGE PRINT ALL THE WAY THRU!! If you have a US passport (and probably from other non- European countries) you MUST PRINT A PAPER BOARDING PASS!!! Don't ask why, just follow the rules. If you have purchased a seat (which costs from €2 - €6 each) you can check in and print your boarding pass from 30 (thirty) days prior to flight time!! If you READ the rules carefully, you will know when you buy your ticket what the rules are. I fly Ryan air on VERY GOOD prices and find them fast and efficient! I have no commercial interest in RyanAir. Good luck. Buen Camino!
Terry

Edit- read the rules each time you book a ticket - same advice when buying tkts from all airlines - rules can change.

If you have pre-purchased seats on Ryan Air be advised that you MUST confirm and check in online at least 2 hours before your flight or they will not honor your tickets unless you pay them an additional 50€ each. If you are flying out on the 6:30am flight you won't be able to check in prior to the 2 hour deadline because the ticket counter won't be open that early. They will tell you that they emailed and texted reminders but mine never came through until after I landed in Madrid. I hope this helps those who follow me.

Surely everyone pre-purchases a seat , but not everyone pre-purchases an allocated seat , is this what you mean ? If you don't buy an allocated seat for the return journey then that can cause problems as you cannot print the return flight boarding pass before leaving home . As i assume this was the outbound flight, why would you not have printed/downloaded your boarding pass at home ?

The rules are quite clearly explained when you book .

Last edited:
It is the same stateside with Southwest Air. Join the cattle in the chute or pay a little more when you book and you get an upgrade into the next available slot in Category 1, the first to board. There are no assigned seats as is, just a boarding number. It is not a problem for me as I travel with a service dog and board right after the wheelchair folk, but those lines for Category 3 sure get long. I think this is a business model which is spreading. A few extra bucks eliminates a whole lot of worry and hassle, not to mention the dreaded middle seat between two larger than average passengers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
'This overbooking policy seems like fraud to me.'
Unfortunately, it is the way of the travel business in general, including hotels. It is a tiny few who might go to the trouble to read all the fine print when purchasing any reservations. The verbiage is available, but you have to dig deep.

'This overbooking policy seems like fraud to me.'
Personally, I like the overbooking, as long as the airlines ask for volunteers to be bumped and raise the compensation high enough to attract the volunteers. My family of 5 traveled from Vancouver to Europe twice for free by doing this, with hotel and meal vouchers as well. They were great adventures and my now-grown kids still look for those opportunities. There are such cheap air travel options these days that something has to be sacrificed!

Yes...low cost carriers. Happy for the price but I was surprised by a recent experience I had with Iberia Air. It's very important that you check in online as soon as it is possible to do so for your flight and get that boarding pass and seat assignment! I had multi connections in my journey to Santiago and couldn't check in online for the Iberia, Madrid to Santiago leg before I left home.

When I tried to check in during two following layovers, I couldn't get on the website. When I arrived in Madrid, 2 hours before my Iberia flight, I checked in at a kiosk and was given a standby boarding pass and was ultimately bumped off the flight at the gate. Iberia overbooks considerably - there were about 25 people with paid tickets who could not get on that flight.

I did ultimately get compensated with an overnight hotel room, meal vouchers, transport from and to the airport, and 250 euro. Grateful for that but it was a very confusing almost 3 hour chaotic process getting the compensation - waiting in lines and getting shuffled to different customer service counters. I was given a flight out the next morning but it altered the plans for the start of my camino which all things considered wasn't as bad as some other folks I talked to who were missing family events that were happening that evening.

This overbooking policy seems like fraud to me. In booking and purchasing a ticket you enter into a contract that should be honoured. It is also extremely tough on the front line employees who aren't responsible for making the policy. The anger and abuse that I witnessed being directed toward them must be incredibly stressful to deal with daily.

how could this be fraud? They ended up paying you €250 in compensation. You get what you pay for. Why do we expect 5* service when we pay a pittance for it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Personally, I like the overbooking, as long as the airlines ask for volunteers to be bumped

I wasn’t asked but I also got bumped. Probably because I had booked 4 months earlier, got a good deal, so I possibly had the cheapest seat. Not Iberia but TAP. Phoned my husband to say I had been delayed, spent a lovely day in Lisbon airport drinking the meal vouchers and chatting to the other guy who had also been bumped, and I finally pitched up at my destination at 1am with 400 euros cash that TAP had given me. I was very happy.
Jill

I am NOT here to promote Ryanair in any way and have no connection with them. Just to share my experience.
But....looking at my phone, I can see 29 boarding passes in my 'wallet' for flights I have taken with Ryanair since May 2016.
None was delayed. On none was my luggage lost. I was never bumped. I paid buttons for the flights compared to what flights cost 20 years ago. The average cost per flight for the 29 was €44.21. All but a few flights included a single checked bag. I flew to and from Dublin, Gatwick, Stansted, East Midlands, Liverpool, Biarritz, Barcelona, Madrid, Porto, Lisbon and Santiago
The rules are crystal clear, and equally clearly their business model (of a lot of DIY by the passenger, including now tagging your checked bag yourself and putting it on the conveyor) is what allows their fares to be so low.
Were it not for them I would most certainly NOT have been able to go to Spain and walk three times last year. One down this year, two more definite, and possibly a third.....again inconceivable without Ryanair.
For those who are more comfortable that way, more expensive carriers are available.
For those on limited budgets, Ryanair provides a welcome service.

I don't know how to post the link, but google the YouTube video of Cheap Flights by Fascinating Aida. It's a nice summary of all the pitfalls that can await you when flying Ryanair.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know how to post the link, but google the YouTube video of Cheap Flights by Fascinating Aida. It's a nice summary of all the pitfalls that can await you when flying Ryanair.
I think this is the video you mean. A little warning: not for those easily offended by ripe language! And Ryanair isn't mentioned anywhere in the song. I can't imagine why you would think they were the airline Dillie Keane had in mind... . :).

Last summer when I flew with Ryanair out of TSF (Treviso, Italy) to London Stansted I did have printed boarding pass but the confirmation on my smart phone was enough. Even more so on return from Santiago through Madrid to Venice when they just asked for my passport and that was it. Was I just lucky? :)
Rules are different depending on where you are from. Non EU people need paper.

I don't know how common this is with other budget airlines but with Ryanair you cannot check in at the airport without paying a fee of currently 50 EUR! This is easily more than you paid for your ticket. There are no Ryanair check-in machines at the airports (or has this changed?). You cannot check-in at the Ryanair counters (unless you pay your 50 EUR). This may come as a surprise if you are not used to it and did not check in online as many people do nowadays routinely, of course.

Note: there are different rules if you purchased a more expensive ticket.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean by "check-in", @Katharina , but I've never paid the 50 EUR on top of my cheap ticket, because I check in on line within 30 days of flying, AND I check in at the airport when I arrive for the flight with my paper boarding pass since I have a US passport. I think there are special rules for non-Europeans that warrant close reading. o_O ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My sister and I left SdeC at 3:30am to get to the airport for our 6:30am flight to Madrid. Other than being dead dog tired, we had no probs with Ryanair and in fact had a lovely ride. Isn't it great how you can get fresh squeezed O.J. in a real glass and cafe con leche in a coffee mug while waiting for your flight?

Isn't it great how you can get fresh squeezed O.J. in a real glass and cafe con leche in a coffee mug while waiting for your flight?
Not at airport prices. Talk about a reality check as a welcome back to the rat race. :confused:

Hi Paintboy2. I had problems with Ryan Air two year ago. Was flying out of Santiago. They would not issue me with a boarding pass electronically. The Help Desk told me that as I had a New Zealand Passport, not a Euro Passport, I would have to go to the Airport the day before and pay to get a boarding pass. The booth was not open and my flight the next day was very early. I wasted hours trying to sort it out and was stressed that I would not be able to fly. I certainly would not use Ryan Air again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
They would not issue me with a boarding pass electronically. The Help Desk told me that as I had a New Zealand Passport, I would have to go to the Airport the day before and pay to get a boarding pass. The booth was not open and my flight the next day was very early.
I think those not on an EU passport have to print theor boarding pass at the latest 48 hours before the flight, making it a nightmare for those not planning on staying in Santiago for 2 days before flying out. Not many opportunities to print two stages before getting to Santiago.

how could this be fraud? They ended up paying you €250 in compensation. You get what you pay for. Why do we expect 5* service when we pay a pittance for it?

I don't expect 5* service nor is this about the compensation. Iberia knowingly re-sold something that they had already sold to me. Or perhaps...they sold something to me that they had already sold to someone else. Either way...this is a fraudulent practice.

Last edited:
I think those not on an EU passport have to print theor boarding pass at the latest 48 hours before the flight, making it a nightmare for those not planning on staying in Santiago for 2 days before flying out. Not many opportunities to print two stages before getting to Santiago.
Yes, as a non-Eu passport holder you do need to print your boarding pass 48hrs in advance. The problem was, Ryan Air wouldn't issue a boarding pass, making it impossible to print it. Oh, the joys of living down under.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't expect 5* service nor is this about the compensation. Iberia knowingly re-sold something that they had already sold to me. Or perhaps...they sold something to me that they had already sold to someone else. Either way...this is a fraudulent practice.
fair enough..... From that understanding, id agree

When I tried to check in during two following layovers, I couldn't get on the website. When I arrived in Madrid, 2 hours before my Iberia flight, I checked in at a kiosk and was given a standby boarding pass and was ultimately bumped off the flight at the gate. Iberia overbooks considerably - there were about 25 people with paid tickets who could not get on that flight.....

Yes I agree over booking 25 passengers is fraud. However I suggest that b

Yes over booking by 25 pax is IMHO fraud or close to it. However booking multiple connecting flights with strict check-in times was, again IMHO asking for trouble. Maybe you should have opted for a day in a Madrid!

Hi William, I have a question - thanks in advance for helping me if you can. My first Camino is coming up in Sept. I'm flying on a 6:30 am Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Santiago. I've purchased the early boarding option but not the seat assignment option, thinking that early boarding was a smart way to get on the plane first, store my carry on, and get a good random seat. Or.... am I wrong?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is Ryanair the only budget airline where non-eu citizens have to print off a boarding pass beforehand, or is the same with easyjet/vueling/etc.

Hi William, I have a question - thanks in advance for helping me if you can. My first Camino is coming up in Sept. I'm flying on a 6:30 am Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Santiago. I've purchased the early boarding option but not the seat assignment option, thinking that early boarding was a smart way to get on the plane first, store my carry on, and get a good random seat. Or.... am I wrong?
@Maggie From Detroit
I hope what I am about to say is true.
Early boarding used to be, for some people, important on Ryanair, as it gave you first choice of a seat. BUT all seats are now allocated. If you bought early boarding when you paid for your flight but did not buy a seat at that stage (which you do not have to) you STILL need to check-in. You can check in, I believe from memory, a month in advance, by buying a chosen seat - for upwards of €4. OR you can wait until 48 hours (please check this on the website) before your flight and check in and then you will get a randomly(?) allocated seat for free, ie with no additional payment. [Strangely if I do this I think I get the same seat each time, but this could be coincidence]. You have to have an allocated seat, you are not obliged to pay extra for it, but if you want to sit at a window/aisle or in a particular row, or with a friend, you need to buy your seat at check in.
In addition if you want to check in before you set out to Spain for your return flight, it is useful, as others have commented above, to do this by buying your seat a month in advance. Waiting for the 'free seat' limits you to checking in 48 hours(?) before the flight .
There is a NEW reason for getting 'early boarding'......."Only the first 90 boarders with a cabin bag are guaranteed to be able to store it in the cabin." After this they may require you to deposit it at the steps of the plane when you get on to go into the hold. You don't pay extra for this.

I also got caught with this 50E fee
I checked in online but did not print boarding pass, 50E for them to,print

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tend to avoid Ryanair... and have recently discovered Vueling, part of British Airways and Iberia. Have now flown twice from Santiago to Gatwick for very little. Bought on a smartphone with 'wallet ticket' a day ahead... Even had my bag checked in free! Both were flightshare and you could check in normally. Certainly cheaper than Ryanair on almost last-minute deal. The times of the flight were also perfect! I had already bought EasyJet tickets but somehow walked too fast and arrived in Santiago too soon... To be fair to Ryanair, as others have pointed out, I have never had a problem as I spend less than 30 days on the camino (insurance cover limits me to this timeframe) and print tickets before leaving and after paying for seat allocation, generally only for the return flight.

And make sure you print your tickets. My son and I finished the Camino and were flying out of Madrid. We had checked in online and I had downloaded our tickets on my phone. Ryan Air refused to accept the tkts on my phone and we were forced to pay 30 euros each to have Ryan Air print our tickets or be bumped from the flight. Total rip off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I am not surprised by Ryan Air, but I am a bit surprised by Iberia Express. We had a very positive experience with Iberia Express both ways between Madrid and Santiago. I guess we must have abided by the rules.

Yes, as a non-Eu passport holder you do need to print your boarding pass 48hrs in advance. The problem was, Ryan Air wouldn't issue a boarding pass, making it impossible to print it. Oh, the joys of living down under.

It seems that I get an electronic boarding pass by email. When I open it, it looks like advertising, but in the upper right 1/4 of the page, there it is. When I print it, it's still in that upper right corner.

I made the mistake of flying Ryan Air from Lisbon to Naples after our Camino, booking with them is like dancing through a mine field. It's expensive and very difficult. They are a third world organisation with absolutely NO customer service. I guess I just grateful we actually flew

I meant "check in" as in getting your boarding card but I learnt through this thread that non-EU/non-EEA passport holders have to drop by the Ryanair Visa/Document check desk in addition to that, and with their paper boarding card in hand. That's a bit unusual, isn't it?

Hmm, curious-er and curious-er - I've not had to go to the RyanAir Visa/Document check desk at the airport to get my boarding card to print -- it comes to me by email when I make my reservation on-line.

I made the mistake of flying Ryan Air from Lisbon to Naples after our Camino, booking with them is like dancing through a mine field. It's expensive and very difficult. They are a third world organisation with absolutely NO customer service. I guess I just grateful we actually flew
Well, you have chosen the direct flight. Was it really so expensive? Also time consuming? I don't want to advocate Ryanair but I fly with them frequently and never had a problem. But I did read the terms though ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Ryanair flight we were on two months ago - we were required to have printed boarding passes, before arriving at the airport. Non EU passports.

I have (a) been bumped off a local flight (b) been delayed a day by striking train drivers (c) been stuck on the tarmac at Madrid all day due to BA's computers going down.

I always plan to arrive a day before I am due to board at my final international departure point. The cost of one night in a hotel is worth it for peace of mind.

And make sure you print your tickets. My son and I finished the Camino and were flying out of Madrid. We had checked in online and I had downloaded our tickets on my phone. Ryan Air refused to accept the tkts on my phone and we were forced to pay 30 euros each to have Ryan Air print our tickets or be bumped from the flight. Total rip off.
Having just found this thread my head is spinning a bit, so please make allowances if I'm repeating something that's been said somewhere above..
Last year, when I last flew with Ryanair, they were accepting the virtual boarding passes that are generated via their App (I am on Android but there is an iphone one too) called 'mobile boarding pass'. Me and plenty of others sailed through security, gates etc when we showed the App boarding passes on our phone screens. However people weren't getting through when they tried to hold up their phone and show the boarding pass that they'd downloaded from the internet, without using the Ryanair App.
The Ryanair website terms and conditions page that we are provided with here in the UK is quite well set out except that there's a vital link missing at 6.2! This Q&A page has more info on the mobile boarding pass and the airports where it cannot be used (none of which looks to be on the route of a European camino...) BTW Section 6.4 also covers the stamping of docs at the desk for non-EU/EEA citizens.
Cheers, tom

Nothing wrong with low cost airlines if you follow their rules and treat them like a bus service ie don't expect more than your paying for.

We use Ryan air many times a year and just book on line checking online and walk straight to security/passport check when at airport. Simple and efficient.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And I see boarding passes must be printed on an A4 sheet of paper. Urgh! Wonder if they will take an 8.5x11 from North Americans who don't use A4 at home so can't print their boarding pass before leaving home. The devil is in the details.

With smart phones one can use digital boarding pass at many airports with most airlines now.

€149,-
In contrast to Ryanair, I had no problem using my smartphone boarding pass for EasyJet. I do not have an EU passport. I think it is a matter of reading all the small print for the airline you are flying. What you save in money, you make up for in time spent researching the conditions and the "extras"!

Again, not unless you are from the EU.
Maybe that is the case with RyanAir, but not necessarily otherwise. I used my smart phone digital Iberia Express boarding pass in both Madrid and Santiago with no issues whatsoever, and I am not from the EU.

... Wonder if they will take an 8.5x11 from North Americans who don't use A4 at home so can't print their boarding pass before leaving home. The devil is in the details.
I've printed my RyanAir boarding pass on 8.5x11 paper at home before leaving the US, and not had a problem which them accepting it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've printed my RyanAir boarding pass on 8.5x11 paper at home before leaving the US, and not had a problem which them accepting it.
I am thibking it may just be a matter of time before they crack down on that as well to squeeze a few € out of us for having the wrong paper size. :cool:

Maybe that is the case with RyanAir, but not necessarily otherwise. I used my smart phone digital Iberia Express boarding pass in both Madrid and Santiago with no issues whatsoever, and I am not from the EU.
But aren't we discussing Ryan Air here?

An embedded video was attached above but this is the link to the video on youtube:
I'm posting it this way so you can copy and paste the url to use elsewhere or maybe so you can view the video in full screen mode.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never flown Ryan Air - hopefully will never have the experience that others above have had.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I second what timr says:

"Priority Boarding
Only the first 90 wheelie bags are guaranteed to go in the overheads
No waiting on hand luggage at the carousel
Sit down and get comfortable before everyone else boards"

It does not include the ability to check in well in advance. The cost of a reserved standard seat is very little and as you have already booked priority boarding your cabin bag should be one of the first 90 units so will stay with you.

I would not book the priority seats as you have already paid for the priority boarding and the flight is short < 2 hours from memory and they are no better (except perhaps the ones at the very front rows 1 A,B,C, 2 D,E,F).

Took Ryan air this past year from Ireland! Do read the fine print! If you are not an EU member you have to have your preprinted boarding pass STAMPED ...otherwise you will be denied boarding. This can only be done before you go through security! It is clearly stated on their website as is the need to have boarding pass prior to arrival at the airport in Dublin unless you want to pay the penalty! The personnel at check- in were terrific and helpful!

United airlines also requires coach passengers at many airports in US to get their baggage tags at the Kiosk, put them on and then bring the bags to chaotic lines! And for those concerned abt being bumped...remember the poor United passenger that got literally dragged off a plane because he needed to get back to work and did not want to Be Bumped! He required plastic surgery and the airlines settled quickly!

BTW our flight from US to Dublin was overbooked, and United was offering only 250 US dollars initially to get off! Most folks flying internationally are not getting off for that amount!

I have flown Iberian from Santiago to Madrid several times (about 6) in the last 6 years, and thankfully I've never get bumped, because I then have my flight back to Oz to connect with in Madrid. I have never checked-in in advance with them but I have chosen my seat when booking (several months earlier), which might heIp. I have never flown Ryan Air (stories I've heard make me nervous of them), but I have flown Easy Jet many times on non-Camino holidays. EJet allows you to check in online 30 days before the flight, which is good enough for me because I can print the boarding pass at home (EJet's rule on this seems to be similar to RAir's) before leaving Oz. So far so good, because I'm delaying the taking of a smart phone with me for as many years as possible - it's so nice to get away from them, except that many/most other walkers seem to have them nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Took Ryan air this past year from Ireland! Do read the fine print! If you are not an EU member you have to have your preprinted boarding pass STAMPED ...otherwise you will be denied boarding. This can only be done before you go through security! It is clearly stated on their website as is the need to have boarding pass prior to arrival at the airport in Dublin unless you want to pay the penalty! The personnel at check- in were terrific and helpful!

This is a small detail easily missed.

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL NON EU/EEA PASSENGERS
Irrespective of a passenger's visa requirements, all non EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security.
Non EU/EEA passengers must do this in order to ensure compliance with immigration authorities. We reserve the right to refuse travel, if there is a failure to comply with this requirement."

My boarding pass at the top in the yellow bar said:
Boarding pass
UNITED KINGDOM

My wife's said:
Boarding pass
AUSTRALIA VISA CHECK

In the event though we had passed through security there was plenty of time and the staff checked it there and then.

Great thread! Flying Ryan Air in Sept and had not read the fine print. Printing those boarding passes today--I did pay extra for the early check-in!!

Re an electronic boarding pass on RyanAir - that's ok IF you have a passport from a European country - but READ THE LARGE PRINT ALL THE WAY THRU!! If you have a US passport (and probably from other non- European countries) you MUST PRINT A PAPER BOARDING PASS!!! Don't ask why, just follow the rules. If you have purchased a seat (which costs from €2 - €6 each) you can check in and print your boarding pass from 30 (thirty) days prior to flight time!! If you READ the rules carefully, you will know when you buy your ticket what the rules are. I fly Ryan air on VERY GOOD prices and find them fast and efficient! I have no commercial interest in RyanAir. Good luck. Buen Camino!
Terry

Edit- read the rules each time you book a ticket - same advice when buying tkts from all airlines - rules can change.

I flew Ryanair in June. As a US citizen with my family, we had to check in early but I didn't pay the additional fee for online seats. I only had an electronic boarding pass which was on my phone for everyone which was a pain when they keep asking to see it and you aren't sitting together; however, it worked and the price was right. Unfortunately, it does clearly say they will charge you 5o euros if you don't check in early.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back