• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryan Air-Checking hiking poles in Santiago

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Does anyone know if Ryan air will check hiking poles for free in Santiago? Other airlines have done so for me in the past. Not sure about Ryan-if I should pay to check my pack or if they will check them for free.
Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if Ryan air will check hiking poles for free in Santiago? Other airlines have done so for me in the past. Not sure about Ryan-if I should pay to check my pack or if they will check them for free.
Thanks
I don't expect Ryanair to do anything for free.

I was looking up the Ts&Cs on Ryanairs websites, and had to chuckle - it seems walking poles are in the same category as the following "pointed" objects (that MUST be checked in): "ice picks, meat cleavers, machetes, sabres, swords, walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools." Who travels with a "throwing star"?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It's a long standing policy for all airlines departing from Santiago to check poles for free. Until someone posts about their more recent experience with Ryanair in particular (ie departing from Santiago, not other flights), here are some earlier posts:

14 October 2017: On the way back from Santiago we put [our poles] inside the backpacks but were again stopped once the backpacks went through the scanner. In this instance we had to go back and check them in but there was no charge (on Ryanair; amazing). - see link

31 December 2012: When returning from Santiago earlier this year they put my pole through separately as 'outsize baggage' or similar. Unusually for Ryanair they didn't demand extra money.

22 March 2011: In 2005 Ryanair shipped a long walking pole I'd bought back from Sarria for free.

I don't recall anyone ever reporting that they had to cough up the Ryanair "airport check in fee" of currently 55 EUR at Santiago airport.

Last edited:
Can we stay on topic please? The question was: from Santiago, with Ryanair, no prepaid checked baggage, do I have to pay for checking poles yes or no?

I'm quite certain that the answer is no. It says so here in an article about the least known free services at Spanish airports. There's no point in looking up airlines' websites because the information isn't there.

Last edited:
Can we stay on topic please? The question was: from Santiago, with Ryanair, no prepaid checked baggage, do I have to pay for checking poles yes or no?

I'm quite certain that the answer is no. It says so here in an article about the least known free services at Spanish airports. There's no point in looking up airlines' websites because the information isn't there.

I'm sorry, but surely if it states in Ryanair's own Terms and Conditions that walking poles MUST be checked in, this is relevant?? There might be an exception for flights from SdC, but there is nothing about this in Ryanair's Ts&Cs. Their cabin crew are from all over, and Ryanair baggage laws are standardised across their whole network. Anyway just surprised you think there's no point in checking this information with the airline itself? :confused:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyway just surprised you think there's no point in checking this information with the airline itself?
I said it's not on the airlines' websites which is presumably why the article linked above calls it one of the least known free services.

It's not about whether or not you have to check poles or about cases of passengers with mobility impairment, it's about what if anything you have to pay for checking poles at Santiago. I fervently wish that someone who passes through Santiago airport would get the official information (you don't have to pay for checking poles at Santiago airport when you are on a low cost ticket of low cost airline Ryanair and did not prepay for hold baggage) and post the confirmation here.

I once managed to get this exact confirmation in writing from the AerLingus Spanish customer service but Ryanair's Spanish customer service and/or their Spanish airport ground crew is even more difficult to contact than them. I tried.

That Iberia offers this free service for pilgrims at Santiago is more widely known.

Numerous passengers will not be aware of it because they are either on tickets with a hold baggage allowance, or have prepaid for hold baggage, or have mailed their poles at a Santiago post office.

Last edited:
Thanks
It’s not Ryanair that is the problem. It’s Spanish airport authority that don’t all you poles as hand luggage.

It’s not Ryanair that is the problem.
It's Ryanair's fee structure that is the problem here.

If you have opted for Ryanair's cheapest standard ticket and you check only your poles (no matter why!) you have to pay a fee of:
  • 00,00 EUR (if they don't charge you thanks to Santiago's special pilgrim discount)
  • 25,00 EUR (if you pay online at the time of booking)
  • 40,00 EUR (if you turn up at the airport without prepayment and there is no pilgrim discount)
I hope this helps to clarify the issue at hand.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's Ryanair's fee structure that is the problem.

I agree this is a Ryanair issue, rather than an airport issue. But my question is: when do you get the "special pilgrim discount"? I have just done a mock booking online until the penultimate screen, and at no point did they ask whether the passenger was a pilgrim!

Edit: I was just confused about your statement that you would have to pay €40 to check in your poles "if you turn up at the airport without prepayment and there is no pilgrim discount" - so then, how do you know in advance whether it's €0 or €40?

All I'll say is that Ryanair is notorious for its attempts to make money off baggage charges, and has the right to do so as a private company - that is, unless they've made a deal with Aena to offer a special exemption regarding walking poles at SdC? But does anyone have proof or confirmation of this?

I was checking on some Spanish forums, and a poster was complaining that Ryanair hadn't let them take their poles to SdC (from another airport in Spain), followed by replies and complaints that the airline simply didn't understand "Spanish airport custom when it came to pilgrims"! I read elsewhere that checking in poles for free was an "unofficial courtesy" extended by Ryanair at SdC, so maybe this is the case.

Long story short, it would be great if someone could get Ryanair's policy in writing on this issue, although I suspect that they wouldn't want to commit to this in any official capacity, as they have a blanket baggage policy across their network. So perhaps the best thing to do is to hope (have faith?) that the "unofficial courtesy" applies the day you're travelling!

Last edited:
@Jan_D: Excellent summary of the situation and I think that's why the question was asked by @Quinranda in the first place. You can find the following information - más o menos - on a few websites:

Aeropuertos gallegos
  • Los tres aeropuertos gallegos, Vigo, A Coruña y Santiago disponen de diversos servicios ofrecidos al pasajero de forma gratuita. Por destacar alguno, los dos primeros cuentan con espacios solidarios y A Coruña y Santiago con áreas de recreo infantil. En cuanto a Santiago, cabe destacar algunos servicios dirigidos en exclusiva a los peregrinos que realizan el Camino, como una zona específica con herramientas para montaje y desmontaje de bicicletas y todas las compañías permiten facturar los bastones de trecking sin coste adicional para el pasajero.
Does "todas las campañías" really include Ryanair? I sense some nagging doubts floating through cyberspace. As it's so cold outside, I amused myself with staying at home and clicking on the icon that invites to a webchat with an online Ryanair agent. He was helpful and made two valiant attempts at answering my question but then I lost already my patience and politely declined further help. :cool:

I found out which company does the ground handling for Ryanair at SCQ and emailed them. I'll report back if I get a useful reply. In the meantime I'm resolved to just watch this space. :)

Thanks all! Seems like I won't plan to check my backpack and will try to check my poles for free-as I've done with other airlines in Santiago before. If they make me pay, I will update and let you all know (although not until July)!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found out which company does the ground handling for Ryanair at SCQ and emailed them. I'll report back if I get a useful reply. In the meantime I'm resolved to just watch this space. :)[/QUOTE said:
Detective Kathar1na! :cool:

I travelled with Vueling from Santiago and was told poles had to be checked. As there were three of us we decided to take a box with three sets of poles for the hold. We did this out of Bordeaux, Santiago and Barcelona... it was a bit of a pain to be honest and we decided that we would just buy cheap poles and leave them next time.

We asked at Santiago airport security check-in and the staff told us that they never allowed poles to go in hand luggage and onto the plane... this was in November 2017.

When I walked the VdlP I asked Ryanair directly before I left and they told me that sports poles would need to be checked.

All airports and airlines agreed that it was fine if you needed them for health reasons... but not sports.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
jan_d, hi! If you want some pics of my walk, go to the where did you walk locally thread... Ok, so I walked for about 15mins to a bus stop, took an aircoach to the airport: this is free for me as I am a senior, and it takes around 15 mins to get to the terminal. I then found a Ryanair chap, and asked him two questions. The first, will my pack pack be accepted as carryon and we agreed, having fitted it into the sample size gizmo that yes, it will. Second question: can I carry on walking poles? Now, while he said yes, I think he is a bit wet around the ears. He did say that walking aids are permitted... so, while this is a slight detour from the question asked by the original poster, it gave me an excuse to have a lovely walk and I feel just fine after it! I will take my rucksack when I travel next, and I will not take my walking poles. I can borrow from friends so it is not a problem. I say for those who travel from afar, and who have expensive poles, travel without them and buy cheap ones in Spain, donating them at the end if possible.

Kirkie, your dedication to the cause is commendable! can't believe you actually walked all the way to the airport to ask about walking poles ha ha you wee bugger. But as you said good excuse to get some fresh air! Seems we're no closer to a final confirmation from Ryanair, but I think your advice is spot on. Heading to the other thread right now to see pics... ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kirkie, your dedication to the cause is commendable! can't believe you actually walked all the way to the airport to ask about walking poles ha ha you wee bugger. But as you said good excuse to get some fresh air! Seems we're no closer to a final confirmation from Ryanair, but I think your advice is spot on. Heading to the other thread right now to see pics... ;)
I didn’t walk all the way TO but yes FROM the airport. Now am crying my eyes out reading I’ll Push You. Let me dare complain again...

jan_d, hi! If you want some pics of my walk, go to the where did you walk locally thread... Ok, so I walked for about 15mins to a bus stop, took an aircoach to the airport: this is free for me as I am a senior, and it takes around 15 mins to get to the terminal. I then found a Ryanair chap, and asked him two questions. The first, will my pack pack be accepted as carryon and we agreed, having fitted it into the sample size gizmo that yes, it will. Second question: can I carry on walking poles? Now, while he said yes, I think he is a bit wet around the ears. He did say that walking aids are permitted... so, while this is a slight detour from the question asked by the original poster, it gave me an excuse to have a lovely walk and I feel just fine after it! I will take my rucksack when I travel next, and I will not take my walking poles. I can borrow from friends so it is not a problem. I say for those who travel from afar, and who have expensive poles, travel without them and buy cheap ones in Spain, donating them at the end if possible.
I doubt that a Ryanair representative in Dublin would be aware of a policy that's very specific to the policy at the airport in Santiago. I've read accounts here on the forum that Ryanair and all the other airlines will check poles for free in Santiago.

YES! - as of last November '17... Pilgrim House staff assured me that Ryanair would check my poles for free from Santiago (to Madrid) and they were absolutely correct. Easy peasy - go to their customer service desk if it is open and ta da!!! Their website does not take into consideration the specific nature of the
Santiago airport. You should have your poles somehow identified and strapped together if you don't have a bag for them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I doubt that a Ryanair representative in Dublin would be aware of a policy that's very specific to the policy at the airport in Santiago. I've read accounts here on the forum that Ryanair and all the other airlines will check poles for free in Santiago.

I think Kirkie was hoping to meet someone in Dublin who had worked the Santiago route and maybe had a more definitive answer. The cabin crew fly all over, so it was just on the off chance, and I think it was a very kind gesture. My own experience with Ryanair is that the strictness of policy implementation depends to some extent on who's on duty that day, so I was worried that despite all the positive "personal accounts" you would just need one stickler (who enjoys their position of authority too much, you know the type) to ruin your day. But it seems that, until we hear of someone who is refused, we can safely assume that the free pole check-in service is indeed something that applies to all airlines at SCQ!

If I could add a new wrinkle to this (almost eternal) query: Does anyone know about Biarritz Airport? That will be my departure airport this spring (on Ryanair), and I'm hoping that Airport Security there will allow me to take my poles inside my cabin backpack--with the secure knowledge that it WILL go into the hold (unpaid) because of the limitations of Ryanair's new cabin-bag policy. I've no problem with Ryanair--they have never searched my backpack which has my rubber-tipped/telescoped-down poles--it's airport security (at Santiago, never yet a problem in Dublin) that concerns me. Do the French airports consider bastones to be bludgeons too, rather than hiking aids not intended for use within an aircraft!? For me, the problem is to know the local rule-interpretation before going through security, so I can take the poles to the check-in desk, or whatever is demanded.
BTW, Ryanair don't fly Santiago-Dublin, that's Aer Lingus who, again, wouldn't worry about my poles, inside my backpack, if it weren't a problem for the airport security officers who quote an official governmental department prohibition.

on the case at SCQ
In many airports, Ryanair and other airlines have local subcontractors whose employees are the ones you interact with at the check-in counter and at the gate. I sent an email to Ryanair's subcontractor at Santiago airport - they are called Lesma Handling - with my question as follows (pardon my Spanish):

Subject: Facturar los bastones sin coste adicional a SCQ?
[...] I have been told that pilgrims don’t have to pay at Santiago airport when they check their walking sticks. Is this true for flights with Ryanair? This is what I have read: "Por otra parte, hay aeropuertos, como el de Santiago de Compostela, que disponen de servicios específicos que tienen que ver con el tipo de pasajero que los emplea, como es el caso de los peregrinos que recorren el Camino. De ahí, que en este espacio haya una zona habilitada con herramientas para el montaje y desmontaje de bicicletas y todas las compañías permitan facturar los bastones de trecking sin coste adicional para el pasajero." Esto eso la verdad para los pasajeros de Ryanair? [...]
I didn't have much hope to get a reply but I got one today. It says: IT IS CORRECT AT SCQ APT
It can't be any clearer: you don't have to pay when you check your poles at Santiago airport, not even when you fly with Ryanair.

Last edited:

€83,-
If I could add a new wrinkle to this (almost eternal) query: Does anyone know about Biarritz Airport? That will be my departure airport this spring (on Ryanair), and I'm hoping that Airport Security there will allow me to take my poles inside my cabin backpack--with the secure knowledge that it WILL go into the hold (unpaid) because of the limitations of Ryanair's new cabin-bag policy.
LOL, that really is a new and unexpected wrinkle :). I think I know the answer unless things have changed recently. I've travelled through Biarritz with a pole and with friends with poles but I'm not going to say more and I'm also not going to write to BIQ. As far as I am concerned, you are on your own on this one. ;):):cool:

And I can quote an eminent Eminence from many years ago who advised his staff: Do not ask me, because I will have to tell you the answer.

In many airports, Ryanair and other airlines have local subcontractors whose employees are the ones you interact with at the check-in counter and at the gate. I sent an email to Ryanair's subcontractor at Santiago airport - they are called Lesma Handling - with my question as follows (pardon my Spanish):

Subject: Facturar los bastones sin coste adicional a SCQ?
[...] I have been told that pilgrims don’t have to pay at Santiago airport when they check their walking sticks. Is this true for flights with Ryanair? This is what I have read: "Por otra parte, hay aeropuertos, como el de Santiago de Compostela, que disponen de servicios específicos que tienen que ver con el tipo de pasajero que los emplea, como es el caso de los peregrinos que recorren el Camino. De ahí, que en este espacio haya una zona habilitada con herramientas para el montaje y desmontaje de bicicletas y todas las compañías permitan facturar los bastones de trecking sin coste adicional para el pasajero." Esto eso la verdad para los pasajeros de Ryanair? [...]
I didn't have much hope to get a reply but I got one today. It says: IT IS CORRECT AT SCQ APT
It can't be any clearer: you don't have to pay when you check your poles at Santiago airport, not even when you fly with Ryanair.

Good job, Kathar1na! We now have an answer from an airport authority - hurray!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YES! - as of last November '17... Pilgrim House staff assured me that Ryanair would check my poles for free from Santiago (to Madrid) and they were absolutely correct. Easy peasy - go to their customer service desk if it is open and ta da!!! Their website does not take into consideration the specific nature of the
Santiago airport. You should have your poles somehow identified and strapped together if you don't have a bag for them.

Oh good, so glad we gave you correct information :). Can you give us more detail about the protocol - just to be clear, did you go to a Ryanair customer service desk that was separate from their ticket counter? And what do people need to do if the customer service desk is closed? Thanks @rorerich!

This general information post has been modified to reflect the fact that, thanks to Kathar1na, we now know for sure that you can check your poles for free, no matter what airline you travel on, when you leave Santiago airport.

NOTE FROM MODS:

Several months back, when some of the posts were getting very belligerent on the topic of whether you can carry your hiking poles onto the plane, several members put their heads together to come up with a non-judgmental (yes, believe it or not, some people do get judgmental on this topic) summary of what can be said factually about the topic. People continue to want to do it, either because of short connections, the hassles created if they go missing (that was the trigger for me), etc.

Thanks to those clear thinkers:

1. Written or posted guidance provided by airlines and security agencies often specifies "No hiking poles," without clarification of type or size. However, in many countries, the actual legally binding documents do not say hiking poles are prohibited. If asked, the airlines generally say "No hiking poles."

2. In practice you will likely not be permitted to carry full-size uncollapsed hiking poles into the cabin.

3.Many people who carry folded-up poles are allowed to carry them on (see the last point for the one clear exception).

4.Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.

5.The security agents at all airports have authority to prohibit anything they decide is a potential hazard. It is not a good idea to argue with them. The security staff are not connected with the airlines.

6. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and an alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.

7. Finally, poles are never allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving, so you must have them as checked luggage. According to a direct communication from the Santiago airport in early 2018, all airlines will allow passengers leaving Santiago to check their poles for free.

Since these are generalizations, there will be lots of different individual experiences, but this list should help you decide what the risks are and how to go to the airport prepared with a plan B.

Thanks everyone a civil discussioin of what is sometimes a contentious topic!

You do NOT need to pay. Ryanair will accept them free as checked baggage at SDC airport. This fact ws clearly posted at the checkin counter when I flew SDC to Madrid in Nov 2017.

You do NOT need to pay. Ryanair will accept them free as checked baggage at SDC airport. This fact ws clearly posted at the checkin counter when I flew SDC to Madrid in Nov 2017.
Hello pilgrims.
There are two separate issues that arise from these types of discussion.
1. Will an airline accept poles as carry on? That is in fact nothing to do with a specific airline's decision, no matter how kind, efficient or whatever. It is an broader security decision.
2. Then, will an airline accept your poles FREE as checked baggage or will you need to pay for them.
In the case mentioned, Ryanair, at SDC checked my poles free, as was displayed at the checkin counter.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.