• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryan Air dep. Santiago to MAD arr. T1 at 9:20, Delta to US Depart 11:00 (T4), realistic?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
As is my custom, right about now with a little less than 2 months to go before my trip I am going over the details of the reservations I have already made and I am now a little concerned.

I have reserved a flight out of Santiago to MAD on RyanAir that departs around 8 am and arrives at 9:20 to terminal T1. I also have a Delta flight that departs MAD to ATL leaving at 11 am from T4 that same morning.

I am nervous now because that seems to be cutting it close. Anyone have an opinion?

I think my option is to get the night flight out of Santiago that leaves at 10:15 and then get a room in MAD, I did this last year.

All this would require is changing my ryanair flight and securing a new hotel reservation, though I will be sacrificing a night in Santiago as I will have to leave on the day I am scheduled to arrive. (Don't worry, I have been there done that in Santiago before and though I would like to stay longer I have chosen on this trip to extend the time on the camino rather than the time celebrating.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Time appreciation:

Your flight 'arrives' at 0920 ... Even if it does arrive on time it will take at least 30 minutes to deboard and find your way to the shuttle.

The shuttle from T4 to T1 takes 15 minutes. There is no information about frequency. I'd allow a half hour.

That leaves you 40 minutes to get through check-in, customs (because you have to get an exit stamp), security, and most likely security check #2 for a US bound flight ... ... ... In my opinion you haven't a chance of making this connection work. Not even if you save 15 minutes by boarding the shuttle just before it leaves.

Check your ticket ... there likely is some spiel about when the check-in is closed about xx minutes before departure.

Madrid Airport Shuttle
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

Darn it. Yah. I figured. That little miscalculation cost me $50 (US) to fix. Would have been worse though if I were to miss the US flight. Like way worse.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm in the same boat I thought it'd be cutting it too close so I opted for the Ryan air night flight giving me a night in Madrid before my flight back to the states in the morning. I didn't know if it was worth going into the city though and was thinking about just making one of those ridiculous YouTube videos of long layovers in airports and what it does to your brain lol buen camino!

There are lots of reasonable price hotels in the Sol district. I stayed at a comfortable place (after staying in Albergues this is easy) called 'Chic and Basic' near Atocha station. Take Cercanius from T4 or Metro from T1T2T3. The Metro will take about an hour from Atocha to Airport.

Don't kill yourself by overstaying at the airport. You won't be able to check in to your flight till morning and the departure area outside security is not a comfortable place.

That's a good option. I'm weary of going into the city knowing no Spanish and oversleeping in a comfy hotel. I thought I could just sleep at the gate to make sure I don't miss my flight but I guess that's not an option. Hmm I'll have to think about this one. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're not finished yet but it depends on what day you're looking at and I'm assuming that you got a real cheap Ryanair ticket!
As I've posted on other threads, a RT ticket in Spain on Iberia is cheaper than a one-way! Believe it or not. Log on to Iberia. There is 6:45am to Madrid which arrives at 8AM. If that's cheap (I happened to choose Friday, Aug 29 and it was $69. Then pick another date in October/November and look for the cheapest flight. You're not going to use it so - - -. I chose the 9:30PM on November 12 for $66 for a total of $134. Not cheap but not expensive.

With the exception of Sunday, ALL the 6:45 flights in the second and third week of September are $50. You're down to $119 and counting and remember your hotel room will cost you something as well!

The only good thing about Ryanair is they pad the arrival times. The reason they are almost never late is when they say 9.20 that mean 9.10.

My last flight we left the airport 10 minutes late. We got to the destination 10 minutes early. That should give you an idea how much they pad the schedule

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As is my custom, right about now with a little less than 2 months to go before my trip I am going over the details of the reservations I have already made and I am now a little concerned.

I have reserved a flight out of Santiago to MAD on RyanAir that departs around 8 am and arrives at 9:20 to terminal T1. I also have a Delta flight that departs MAD to ATL leaving at 11 am from T4 that same morning.

I took the night train from Santiago to Madrid. Slept all night. Arrived at Atocha around 9 am Took the Metro to Barajas. Took Delta to US leaving at 11. Very easy.

I am nervous now because that seems to be cutting it close. Anyone have an opinion?

I think my option is to get the night flight out of Santiago that leaves at 10:15 and then get a room in MAD, I did this last year.

All this would require is changing my ryanair flight and securing a new hotel reservation, though I will be sacrificing a night in Santiago as I will have to leave on the day I am scheduled to arrive. (Don't worry, I have been there done that in Santiago before and though I would like to stay longer I have chosen on this trip to extend the time on the camino rather than the time celebrating.)

Take the night train from Santiago (leaves around 11pm). Pay for a bed. Sleep all night. Arrive rested at Atocha in Madrid around 8 am. Take the Metro from Atocha to Barajas. Very easy.

Damien:

There is an overnight sleeper train from Santiago (22:33) to Madrid Chamartin that arrives in Madrid at 8:02am (50 euro's). You go upstairs and get a Cercanias ticket to the airport Terminal 4. Train runs every 30 minutes (on the 28 and 58 minute) and takes about 15 minutes. I took it this Spring and I was in terminal 1 by 9:15. I had an 11:00am flight to the states.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back