• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair considers Santiago as a candidate for new hub

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
ryanair.jpg

El Correo Gallego has today an article that indicates that Santiago de Compostela is one of a few candidates for Ryanair as a new hub in northern Spain. This comes after the hub in Valencia that was opened about a year ago, will be closed.

The candidates for taking over the Valencia hub is supposed to be: Santiago de Compostela, Sevilla and Santander. All of these 3 cities are on a camino, so for pilgrims this is good news.

I cross my fingers for a hub in Santiago since that would mean more routes to/from this town. :D

Saludos,
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
El Correo Gallego has a follow up today, talking to Michael Cawley (Vice president of Ryanair).

It does not sound like they have given up on Valencia yet. I guess they are trying to turn up the pressure on Valencia by launching these 3 new cities as an alternative if Valencia does not "pay-up". :?

Greetings from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ryanair closing base in Valencia - Friday, 24 October 2008 10:57

Budget airline Ryanair has announced it is shutting its base in Valencia in Spain following a row with the local council. 70 flights to ten destinations will be cut as a result.

Flights on all 10 routes, which were used by 750,000 passengers a year, will be cancelled from 4 November, Ryanair said today. The flight services cancelled are between Valencia and: East Midlands, Eindhoven, Liverpool, Maastricht, Malta, Oporto, Paris Beauvais and Santiago de Compostela. A limited service will remain between Valencia and London Stansted.

A total of 750 local jobs will be lost.

The candidates for taking over the Valencia hub is supposed to be: Santiago de Compostela, Sevilla and Santander. All of these 3 cities are on a camino, so for pilgrims this is good news. (Ivar)

Ivar, Valencia is also on a Camino. Most capitals of province in Spain are on a Camino.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Javier Martin said:
The candidates for taking over the Valencia hub is supposed to be: Santiago de Compostela, Sevilla and Santander. All of these 3 cities are on a camino, so for pilgrims this is good news. (Ivar)

Ivar, Valencia is also on a Camino. Most capitals of province in Spain are on a Camino.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.
Tienes razón... you are right... :oops:

Still, it would be nice with a Ryanair hub in Santiago... although I guess it probably will not happen.

Saludos,
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back