• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RyanAir guaranteed until 2013 from Santiago

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
According to todays El Correo Gallego:

Paralelamente, el aeropuerto compostelano de Lavacolla mantendrá en 2011 los vuelos con Frankfurt, Londres, Zurich y París, mientras que el de Roma se perderá en beneficio de una conexión con la ciudad suiza de Ginebra. En particular, las conexiones con Frankfurt y Londres están garantizadas, según la Xunta, hasta 2013.

...this means that Santiago (Lavacolla) in 2011 will have routes from Santiago to: Frankfurt, London, Zurich, Geneva and París. The Rome connection is moved to La Coruña.

The article also mentions that the flight to London and Frankfurt is guaranteed until at least 2013.

This is good news for pilgrims traveling home/to their camino!! :)

Happy holidays!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mmmmm? So, the Santiago to Liverpool isn't back on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's good news. Thanks for all the suggestions of alternative ways to return to the UK from Santiago. But nothing on the Ryanair website yet!

Now the airport is saying it's just had its last international flight until at least March 27. From what I understand, it's because the Xunta de Galicia hasn't signed a new agreement with Ryanair to promote tourism in Santiago.

Anna-Marie

Cant be right surely? I've just been looking at Easyjet's flights to SDC from France, and they are regularly flying there.....

The plot thickens :shock:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Caminando - as I read the website the problem seems to be Ryanair not other airlines. I've also heard today that Veuling are reducing the number of the flights per week into A Coruna.

JohnnieWalker said:
Caminando - as I read the website the problem seems to be Ryanair not other airlines. I've also heard today that Veuling are reducing the number of the flights per week into A Coruna.

JW
AM referred to a quote about the "last international flight" etc. As I read it, this extends the topic beyond Ryanair.

I mentioned Easyjet as there could be many who may not know that Ryanair is not the only budget airline to Spain.

Ryanair has now lost Marseilles, so their operations are in flux.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just assumed from the article that RyanAir was the only international airline flying out of Santiago. It talks about how the airport is now "isolated internationally," which is weird if there are still other international flights.

And it's getting stranger. From what I can gather (I'm reading things in Spanish for practice, but my Spanish is far from perfect), the Galician secretary of tourism said that everything is all right, and the routes will be the same as last year, but RyanAir complained, and soon the routes to Frankfurt and Rome disappeared from the map of places you can fly to from Santiago.

I never realized airport politics was so, well, political.

Anna-Marie

Thanks AM

You're quite right about posting something about an "end to international flights". :) That's why I posted about another airline, as people from outside Europe might get the wrong idea. Quite understandably. :D

Just to explain, Ryanair is cutthroat, and looks for various inducements in some places. They lost Marseilles over a tax avoiding issue. When inducements go, so can Ryanair.

Anyway, Easyjet flies to Spain, tho not, I think, to SDC.

Buen camino :D :D

Thanks for explaining, Caminando.

I was thinking of flying into London and getting a RyanAir flight into Sevilla, and then one out of Santiago back to London, but I guess my safest bet is Madrid and trains/buses.

Buen Camino to you, too.

Anna-Marie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think this will all be sorted out by the time the "pilgrim season" comes around. From what I understand, the routes that was there in 2010 will be back in 2011... but that they will not be there the first few months of 2011 since the winter months are slow months (less profitable).

Since this is very political, the opposition is "all over this"...making a lot of noise (the articles that has been written lately)... and it is easy to get confused if you don't understand what is going on.

If you are planning your trip in april/may and onward, you should not worry and I bet you will be able to travel from Santiago. One plan b would be to travel Ryanair/Vueling to Barcelona/Madrid and then home that way.

Saludos,
Ivar

Ivar - Veuling from and to London from A Coruna must also be a good option particularly with regular trains and buses to Santiago.

Many friends in Santiago are also now using Oporto to get to London cheaply.

Regards

John

Anna-Marie said:
Thanks for explaining, Caminando.

I was thinking of flying into London and getting a RyanAir flight into Sevilla, and then one out of Santiago back to London, but I guess my safest bet is Madrid and trains/buses.

Buen Camino to you, too.

Anna-Marie

Hola AM

Just to complicate the issue :shock: :wink: , I've just looked at flying into Madrid(from France) by Easyjet,then taking a Ryanair flight to SDC. The Ryanair bit was about 12 euros single flight! But this changes by the day.

Have a website look, as that will be clearer. :) Easyjet is worth checking out, from London. If you fly to Porto ( a good option by Ryanair, at least from France) use the pousada there, if you want a night in Porto.The bus to SDC costs about 30 euros one way.

PS Ryanair is ruthless about baggage size. They will hit you for a fee if cabin luggage wont fit in their sizing frame. I saw a lot of grief in Porto over this.
:D :arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ryanair launches Santiago de Compostela schedule
Ryanair today (13 January) launched its Santiago de Compostela summer 2011 schedule which will see Ryanair operate 13 summer routes including three new routes to Milan (Bergamo), Frankfurt (Hahn), and London (Stansted).

Ryanair’s traffic at Santiago de Compostela will grow to over 1m passengers p.a., sustaining over 1,000 jobs in and around the airport.

To celebrate its Santiago de Compostela summer schedule, Ryanair released 1m £9.99 seats for travel across 500 European routes in February. These £9.99 seats must be booked on ryanair.com before midnight on Tuesday 18 January.

Ryanair’s Daniel de Carvalho said:

“Santiago de Compostela today celebrates three new routes to Milan (Bergamo), Frankfurt (Hahn) and London (Stansted) from summer 2011 which go on sale tomorrow. Ryanair’s Santiago de Compostela routes will deliver 1m high-spending passengers to/from Santiago de Compostela and sustain 1,000 jobs in and around the airport.

“To celebrate this new Santiago de Compostela summer schedule, Ryanair released 1m £9.99 seats for travel across Europe in February. Since seats at these crazy low prices will be snapped up quickly, we urge passengers to book them immediately on ryanair.com”

http://www.easier.com/82961-ryanair-san ... edule.html

Thanks for the advice, Caminando and Ivar.

And that's great news, Sil!

I suppose I should make some sort of flight decision soon....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back