• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RyanAir/Lisbon & walking poles

A

Anemone del Camino

I will be walking from Porto but flying into Lisbon and then taking a RyanAir flight to Porto with RyanAir. How likely am I to be able to take my backpack on board with me of my poles are in it? At 23C$ I just couldn't pass on that ticket!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be walking from Porto but flying into Lisbon and then taking a RyanAir flight to Porto with RyanAir. How likely am I to be able to take my backpack on board with me of my poles are in it? At 23C$ I just couldn't pass on that ticket!

I would suggest contacting RyanAir and asking them. Unless of course, you'd prefer my uninformed (and probably inaccurate) opinion.

I would suggest contacting RyanAir and asking them. Unless of course, you'd prefer my uninformed (and probably inaccurate) opinion.
You are the encyclopedia of all things Camino Travel, doubt very much ou would be wrong, but I appreciate not being given an answer that could be an educated guess only.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ryanair just check the size of the baggage 50cm by40 bu 20cm. And weigh 10kg.They don't check what's in the bags. It's whether the security will let the bags go through with poles or not. It varies from airport to airport and indeed might even depend on how the particular security guard is feeling that day!! I kid you not!! For years we passed through Stansted airport with poles in back backs without any problem.a year ago they no longer allowed us to put the poles in,so now we either put them in the hold or buy cheap ones when we get to wherever we are going.(sometimes works out cheaper!) if we fly from Gatwick or Heathrow--- no problem with poles in backpacks!!! We always get through.The security in Santiago won't let poles go through in backpacks but other Spanish airports will. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the discrepancy .just keep the poles under cover if you do get through security, not visible or the steward may stop you. Also with Ryanair you are allowed an extra small bag onboard. And if you have deep pockets you can hide a multitude of things. Our pockets probably weigh more than our bags!!! . We know all the tricks now so hope Ryanair God bless them not reading this!! Maybe check the AIRPORT website for info. Let us all know how you get on as this is a frequent question that arises. Good luck Annette

'Let us do everything possible to circumvent rules intended for our protection.' Great idea? Not.

I know how strict Santiago is whih is why I titled the thread with Lisbon in it, hoping someone who has flown from there can help. Oddly enough when I bought my ticket it didn't ask if I was going to check luggage, like the ... My mind has gone blank...., the super discount airline I have always flown back to Madrid... I guess I will have to sort tha when I get to Lisbon...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
'Let us do everything possible to circumvent rules intended for our protection.' Great idea? Not.
Oh please!! What a strange and hurtful reply.i was trying(with humour) to help anenome with Ryanair versus various airports and what we have found over the years with different airports and airlines.what in heavens name do you think we put in our pockets?? Dangerous oranges!! Dangerous books!! And defenitely dangerous sandwiches!! If you are moved to make a comment, then let it be a helpful one,not a sarcastic one,and preferably with some humour. With best wishes to you Annette

I've had the same issue with my flight to Seville - I searched the Ryanair website and there is a line deep in the text/help section which says trekking poles are not allowed... but I have read a few places that people have taken them in their bags as carry on?

My pacer poles will fit in my pack... but I was also not sure if my pack would be too big? I'm going to Bergerac Airport (that has a big Ryanair desk) in a few weeks and I'm going to take my pack and ask them. But, I'm actually flying out of Bordeaux and they of course may have a different view?

I can always hand my poles to my husband, who'll be waving me off... but I really would like to use them and there is a hefty fee to change your mind and put them in the hold.

Like you I only paid 26€ for the flight... it was such a good deal I cant complain... I'm thinking I might just put it all in the hold?

Oh please!! What a strange and hurtful reply.i was trying(with humour) to help anenome with Ryanair versus various airports and what we have found over the years with different airports and airlines.what in heavens name do you think we put in our pockets?? Dangerous oranges!! Dangerous books!! And defenitely dangerous sandwiches!! If you are moved to make a comment, then let it be a helpful one,not a sarcastic one,and preferably with some humour. With best wishes to you Annette

There is nothing helpful with giving out information that is erroneous. The TSA rule says ... "trekking poles can only be packed in checked baggage". It matters not if you have anecdotal experience where the rules were circumvented. That's not helpful to anyone other than those who would be scoff laws. I am not impressed when scoff laws cause inconveniences for others through their disregard and disrespect for the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Rule of thumb regardless of airline: You can't. I have asked security staff in several airports when not flying with poles and they have all said that they would confiscate. I dug this out of Ryanair's T&Cs, prohibited articles in cabin baggage:

8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g.drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.

I am with @whariwharangi on this. There is a line between encouraging others to break the law (for that is what it is you will be doing in this regard) and letting them know what has been successful in the past, and it doesn't matter how much 'humour' is applied, I don't think we need to be on the wrong side of that line.

As an addendum - in Australia at least, but it would appear to be the same elsewhere, the law and regulations apply to the traveller. Getting something past the security screening does not make taking contraband items on any less a contravention of those laws or regulations.

There is nothing helpful with giving out information that is erroneous. The TSA rule says ... "trekking poles can only be packed in checked baggage". It matters not if you have anecdotal experience where the rules were circumvented. That's not helpful to anyone other than those who would be scoff laws. I am not impressed when scoff laws cause inconveniences for others through their disregard and disrespect for the rules.
@Annette london: As someone who has travelled over the years on RyanAir and EasyJet (within Europe), I fully understand. I appreciate that you share your experience. I've reached a point where I try to avoid flying with them when I travel with a carry-on backpack, poles or no poles.

I doubt that TSA rules apply to a flight Lisbon-Porto, and whatever rules there are for telescopic walking poles are not the same for every European airport and airline. As recently as 2014 and 2015, we were prepared to check in our backpacks on AirFrance flights within France or from Paris to and from Spain (Bilbao) but it was not necessary. We had our telescopic poles attached to the outside of our backpacks and were allowed to take them with us into the cabin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since you paid less than 20 EUR for this Ryanair flight Lisbon-Porto, you can probably afford to sort it out at the airport just before boarding in Lisbon ... you are are more fearless Ryanair traveller than I am. ;)
Money is not the issue, the time wasted at the airline counter to check the bag is, even if I did book a flight that leaves 2 hoirs after the first arrives.

We took Ryanair from Stansted to Biarritz last August and had to check trekking poles and a walking stick. Neither telescoped. We put bubblewrap around them so it was 1 item. My smaller backpack (30l) was a carryon.

@Annette london: As someone who has travelled over the years on RyanAir and EasyJet (within Europe), I fully understand. I appreciate that you share your experience. I've reached a point where I try to avoid flying with them when I travel with a carry-on backpack, poles or no poles.

I doubt that TSA rules apply to a flight Lisbon-Porto, and whatever rules there are for telescopic walking poles are not the same for every European airport and airline. As recently as 2014 and 2015, we were prepared to check in our backpacks on AirFrance flights within France or from Paris to and from Spain (Bilbao) but it was not necessary. We had our telescopic poles attached to the outside of our backpacks and were allowed to take them with us into the cabin.

TSA rules might not apply but EU rules do.

http://www.aeropuertobarcelona-elprat.com/ingl/objetos_prohibidos_1070.htm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

"Beware Ryan Air" :eek:

I have to say, as quite a seasoned traveller, they are without doubt the most irritating and mindless people to deal with at times. But Yes they are cheap. :D

Do not dare to try and circumvent any of their rules and conditions and extra charges. There is no leeway. On anything. Dot the i's cross the t's and double and triple check everything. Oh, and print your boarding pass before you arrive, or they will charge you to do it! Like we carry a printer on Camino :rolleyes: Thankfully Hotel reception staff are used to be asked to print Ryan Air boarding passes.....

Because their baggage handlers were on strike as I returned from Santiago last year, there was no checked in luggage allowed. We were told the day before the flight. THe instruction was to:

A. Leave your luggage behind.
B. Cancel your flight for a refund.

Surely we thought..........we'll at least be able to take our poles on board.

They kindly supplied a bin in which to toss them at the check in!

This may have been posted on here before, but this is a hilarious song that fits Ryan Air so well ;)

Whereas http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/docs...o_liste-des-objets-interdit-en-cabine_en.pdf? makes no mention of this - perhaps this explains our experience with Air France? And Vienna airport even states explicitly that you can take "Nordic walking sticks" (German version) or "walking sticks" (English version) into the cabin. Under the same EU rules ...

Edited: This is the most recent implementing regulation on common basic standards in aviation security. It doesn't mention ski poles or walking poles. So back to the beginning: it will depend on the country/airport/carrier.

It does mention 'blunt instruments - objects capable of causing serious injury when used to hit' of which description trekking poles certainly applies. You could easily argue it is a tool with a blade or shaft more than 6 cm capable of use as a weapon. Or 'object with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury' such as an 'ice axe' to which category of tools the trekking pole is related.

And if you are allowed to take your trekking pole into the cabin I should be allowed to take my bear spray ... which also doesn't specifically appear on the list.

But don't take my word for it ... ask your airline.

EU Airline Security Rules
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/safety/air-security/index_en.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I have to say, as quite a seasoned traveller, they are without doubt the most irritating and mindless people to deal with at times. But Yes they are cheap. :D

Do not dare to try and circumvent any of their rules and conditions and extra charges. There is no leeway. On anything. Dot the i's cross the t's and double and triple check everything. Oh, and print your boarding pass before you arrive, or they will charge you to do it! Like we carry a printer on Camino :rolleyes: Thankfully Hotel reception staff are used to be asked to print Ryan Air boarding passes.....

Because their baggage handlers were on strike as I returned from Santiago last year, there was no checked in luggage allowed. We were told the day before the flight. THe instruction was to:

This may have been posted on here before, but this is a hilarious song that fits Ryan Air so well ;)

A bit unfair I think.we frequently fly Ryanair and never had a problem with them in 20 years. Just my opinion. As for Santiago airport,it's the SECURITY that will not let the poles through. The security actually have a little cabin to hold the poles.our first time going through Santiago they showed us this little place--- there were about a hundred sticks ans poles in situ, taken from unwary passengers. Nothing to do with Ryanair in this instance.Other airport security
in Spain let the poles through in backpacks. If a rule is a rule,then why the discrepancy?? As I said before,Heathrow and gatwick in London also wave walking poles through.Dont their security follow the rules then? I rest my case!

This video is priceless. So funny.. It's a few years old now though and Ryanair really have improved in the last three years. Not so many complaints now. Michael o Leary recently said that if he had known that being nice to people would have increased their profits so much, then they'd have done it a lot sooner!! We fly to Dublin regularly for £20 or £30 return and never have or had a problem.always on time bar a few occasions, and the crew are pleasant. It's a shame that a"few"--ok.More than a few in the past have put people off.So I hope that all those enquiring about the flights have a pleasant trip.

A bit unfair I think.we frequently fly Ryanair and never had a problem with them in 20 years. Just my opinion. As for Santiago airport,it's the SECURITY that will not let the poles through. The security actually have a little cabin to hold the poles.our first time going through Santiago they showed us this little place--- there were about a hundred sticks ans poles in situ, taken from unwary passengers. Nothing to do with Ryanair in this instance.Other airport security
in Spain let the poles through in backpacks. If a rule is a rule,then why the discrepancy?? As I said before,Heathrow and gatwick in London also wave walking poles through.Dont their security follow the rules then? I rest my case!

This case was actually due to Ryan Air baggage handlers being on strike in Madrid.....hence no hold luggage allowed for flights into Madrid.

OK, I am obviously not a 'fan' of Ryan Air'. But my point was for those who are not used to flying with them. It is easy to get 'caught out' if you do not read their terms and conditions very carefully. About luggage limits, checking in etc. I wouldn't even think about trying to get on with a bag that was 1/2 kg over or 1 cm too wide for example.

I had to change flights a couple of times as my walking pace slowed due to injury. Of course you can't actually talk to anyone in customer service, it is all done via the website. Which is not easy for those not used to flying with them. I gave up, it was easier to just buy a new ticket!

Personally, I find flying with them is never easy and always stressful in some way or other.

Next month I'm trying Easy Jet London to Madrid. Maybe I'll have someone else to moan about ;)

Note: My experiences with Ryan Air may not be typical and your results may vary :D

Last edited:

Do not dare to try and circumvent any of their rules and conditions and extra charges......

I agree a little bit with your statement, but I think it's true for a lot of the low cost carriers, we've come across issues with Flybe and Easyjet BUT... we've been using Ryanair for about 14 years and we're happy customers. They are excellent value for money and (as you say) if you stick to the rules they're great.

Having flown with full service airlines for many years, the first thing my wife did when she booked us on Ryanair was check the T&Cs to understand what differences there were. Anyone who does otherwise only has themselves to blame if they don't understand, particularly if you booked online and checked that little box in most web booking sites that indicates that you have read and understood those very terms and conditions.

One thing I never do is argue at the security check ;). I'm not a frequent flyer anymore so sometimes I had totally forgotten about the rules in force or I had forgotten about an item left in my bag. You want to take my tiny Swiss army knife, you want to take my nearly empty tube of suncream, my full pot of expensive hydrating day cream or this ball of string (I didn't see that coming !) ... take it, take it, take it.

We also agree that the carrier and the security team at the airport rule supreme.

We don't agree on the applicable EU law. Which made me really curious. And I think I understand now where these ubiquitous lists originate. But I won't bore you with the details. I got so curious, however, that I wrote to Vienna airport and to Paris (all of them) airports. Vienna has already replied; they referred me to the company in charge of security. The reply is clear: Wanderstöcke können Sie am Flughafen Wien-Schwechat problemlos mit ins Flugzeug nehmen.
The CHEAP FLIGHTS song is terrific! Thx for the laugh!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm going to start thinking it all has to do with kickbacks the checkpoint people can get from the airline counter for the number of bags sent bag into the haul at a price! o_O

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I sent an email to the contact address on the website of the airports who forwarded my email to their security services. But be aware that Ryanair can decide themselves what to allow into the cabin and at least on the Ryanair flights I have been on in the past they inspected luggage (size, weight, number) again themselves thoroughly in the area after security and before boarding.
Hi Katharina, you are a mine of information so thank you. On over a hundred flights however with Ryanair, we only had our bags measured once and that was about 5 years ago. A bag or rucksack with measurement of 50 by40 by20cm is actually quite large and if the rucksack is packed well and around these measurements it will be fine. I've never heard of them weighing or looking inside someone's bag, although all that may change with what has happened in Brussels today. I think we are all in some kind of shock and can only pray for those people affected by this,for those who have died and for their relatives. God bless them and keep them. Annette

Hi Anemone!

I haven't read all the messages on the thread but if you haven't found a solution, let me know when you will be arriving in Lisbon. I live very close to the airport. If I'm in Lisbon that day, and if you mail me the poles, I am happy to take them to the airport to hand them back to you.
That is very kind of you. Thank you very much! But din't worry, I will just check my back when I arrive in Lisbon. Which reminds me I need to call RyanAir to ask why when I booked my flight I was not prompted to pay for my bag at the same time as I have always done in the past.

But thank you again, your kindness makes is putting a smile on my face.,

Two things:

Ryanair

It's fashionable to slag off Ryanair - you get what you pay for; your experience flying first class with BA will obviously different!

Carrying poles in the cabin

Flying from Stansted to Porto last summer we checked and were assured that hiking poles would NOT be allowed as carry on and would have to be checked (and paid for).

We stopped off at Decathlon on the way from Porto airport into the city (the bus stops alomost outside) and picked up reasonable poles quite cheaply.

Coming back from SdC my friend JoJo abandoned hers in the hotel but I disassembled my one and put it in the pack.

"Sorry, not allowed" said security - "you can check it if you wish" (a €9 pole? no thanks)

This year we start in Pamplona and will buy poles in Caminoteca when we arrive. There must be a business opportunity in collecting poles at the pilgrim office and SdC airport and recycling them?

Hope this helps

For what it's worth: I started my Camino in Porto last year and faced the same problem, so didn't take poles. A friend in Porto recommended I look at the sporting goods shop in the Santa Catarina shopping center in central Porto (Rua de Santa Catarina 312, 4000 Porto, Portugal). Found an excellent set of poles for 22 Euros. Used them on the Camino, and now back home in Colorado, I am using them.
For my Camino in May, I am planning to check my baggage to bring them with me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HELLO, I usually fly on RYANAIR and I can tell you for sure than you can take a walking stick folded, tucked Either inside the backpack or on the side, your backpack also can be taken as hand lugage as long it is not more than 10 kg, (but who does the Camino with more tan 8 KG anyways).

HELLO, I usually fly on RYANAIR and I can tell you for sure than you can take a walking stick folded, tucked Either inside the backpack or on the side, your backpack also can be taken as hand lugage as long it is not more than 10 kg, (but who does the Camino with more tan 8 KG anyways).
Thank you Erith long,

Please know that if you fly out of Santiago you willnot ne allowed to bring poles on board, wether they are folded, inside or outside your pack, so if you are planning to fly RyanAir from Santiago prebook your bag's ticket to the hold.

I fly Ryanair from Dublin, Ireland 6th April to Lisbon and following sightseeing take a train on to Porto. I fly out of Santiago where you cannot take your poles onto any Plane. I hope to buy poles in Lisbon or Porto, I see already 2 advices, one the Decathalon and another a very dear pair €22. I once got a pair in Astorga in a Chinese Bazaar for €5, best poles ever (probably came from Santiago airport security officials (oops))...Anyone in Lisbon or Porto advise re buying cheap poles or should I start a new thread. I only decided yesterday as flight was €25...going to do the Coastal route, one beach to another...Happy Caminoist.

There is a decathlon in Lisbon (well, in an industrial park not too far outside), and there are several others near Lisbon. And there is a bus that takes you near, which I have been on, but I will have to do some searching to find the number and route, which I'm happy to do if that's where you would like to go.

Thanks so much Laurie. I will contact a friend in Porto (A Bombeiro I met on Camino) and see what he advises. You are so kind.
Una

Thanks so much Laurie. I will contact a friend in Porto (A Bombeiro I met on Camino) and see what he advises. You are so kind.
Una

Well, I just saw that there is now a Decathlon (a small one) on the street Agusto Aguiar. It's located right in the middle between two metro stops, Sao Sebastiao (a transfer station, busier stop, and right at the Corte Inglés Dept. store) and Parque. I would try there first.

The bigger one is Decathlon Amadora, which you can access by a 50 minute bus ride from the center of town. It's a bus with a very long route, the 750 and it takes you very close. I've been on that bus on the way to the little suburb/town of Alges, and saw the store from the window.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The acceptance - or not - of the walking poles is not a Ryanair issue, but one of airport security. I know that the stringency of airport security searches varies between airports, but most will not allow collapsible walking poles (with their sharp points) to pass their security checks. A walking cane without a sharp pointed end as used by those with more limited mobility is generally allowed to pass.
In advance of commencing your Camino, you could post the walking poles to yourself c/o to a designated address and then collect from that address. There is a small risk of the walking poles not arriving, though I believe that is a very, very small risk.

Buen Camino

The acceptance - or not - of the walking poles is not a Ryanair issue, but one of airport security. I know that the stringency of airport security searches varies between airports, but most will not allow collapsible walking poles (with their sharp points) to pass their security checks. A walking cane without a sharp pointed end as used by those with more limited mobility is generally allowed to pass.
In advance of commencing your Camino, you could post the walking poles to yourself c/o to a designated address and then collect from that address. There is a small risk of the walking poles not arriving, though I believe that is a very, very small risk.

Buen Camino
It cost me 40$ to ship my poles back last year, due to an airport baggage handling strike which meant I could not bring back my poles at all (I also check my bag). At that price I will just check my bag. I just wanted to know how strict Lisbone airport is.

It cost me 40$ to ship my poles back last year, due to an airport baggage handling strike which meant I could not bring back my poles at all (I also check my bag). At that price I will just check my bag. I just wanted to know how strict Lisbone airport is.
I had no trouble taking my sticks through security in Lisbon last November. I've also openly and without problems carried them on board in Barcelona, Málaga and Madrid airports in Spain (in Barcelona, the nice catalan security guard at the xray post noticed the scallop shell on my rucksack and mentioned that she'd done the camino from Pamplona), Nîmes and Montpellier airports in France, and Newcastle, Leeds, Edinburgh and Liverpool airports in the UK. In fact, in every airport I've ever tried to take them with the exception of Santiago.

Great News! I was flying back home from Calgary last week-end and it turns out small scisors and screw drivers are now allowed again. The blade just has to be 6cm or less, for scisors that' sur measuring from thr screw to the point. Glad to see common sense regaining some terrain.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.