• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair - no more Santiago to Liverpool

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
It would appear that RyanAir are going to suspend their Liverpool to Santiago de Compostela flight schedule indefinitely.
Since opening this route RyanAir have “rested” the schedule over winter (i.e. October to April), but it would appear that they have no current plans to start it up again in 2009.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Peter - I read about it on a blog: http://noia-galicia-spain.blogspot.com/ ... go-de.html
Then I went onto the Ryaniar website and tried to book a flight from Santiago in December returning February. It came up with a no flights on that day result or the next, and the next.
I clicked on:
The route selected has not yet commenced operation, please click here to view our new route start dates http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/newroutes.php and found that were no routes to Santiago from Liverpool or vice versa.

Perhaps the original source was incorrect?

there are no winter flights; they also cut the Stansted frequency over the winter, replacing them with flights to ski resorts and the like (Lourdes counts as a ski resort for Ryanair). That's not to say that Ryanair won't cut this service - they quickly chop routes if they're not worthwhile - but I've seen nothing from Ryanair to say it won't start up again in April/Eastertime.

The doubt persists - this from:
http://www.anna.aero/2008/11/21/new-rou ... -november/

Ryanair started five new routes this week. Despite grounding many of its London Stansted (STN) based aircraft over the winter period it is still starting a new twice-weekly service to Agadir (AGA), a destination previously only served by Ryanair from Marseille. The remaining new routes are all from Madrid (MAD) where four domestic services have been started to Alicante (ALC), Palma de Mallorca (PMI), Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) and Valencia (VLC). All of these routes will be served twice daily, yes daily. Competition on these routes will come from Air Berlin (Palma), Air Europa (Palma), Iberia (all routes) and Spanair (all routes). This brings to 18 the number of destinations served by Ryanair from the busiest airport on its network. Routes to Billund, East Midlands, Gothenburg, Liverpool and Oslo Torp that operated from Madrid during the summer are not on sale for the winter period. Whether they have been dropped or will re-appear as seasonal summer-only routes remains unclear at present.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
it's now disappeared from Ryanair's website. We will have to see whether it reappears for the summer or not. They may well be waiting to see what happens in the wider economy to decide how many routes to restart/axe.

Hi, it looks as if I should have paid more attention - I was going to get a flight home from Santiago and straight to Liverpool after my Camino Portugues in March, which I thought would be so easy I didn't even check for tickets! :oops: Poo ... My second choice was to go back to Porto by train and fly home from there, but those flights only start on the 29th, a bit late for me. There are no flights from Madrid to Liverpool either yet! At the moment it looks as if I am going to have to get the train to Lisbon and go from there or fly to Stansted and get the train home. Unless anyone has heard or thought of some cheap and cheerful Santiago-Liverpool/Manchester route I haven't? I really need to get home as cheaply as possible, and would rather spend time than cash getting there. (Don't we all ...)

Grateful for any tips,
LM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Chester indeed - snap!

Cheers for that, Peter! I think I had a look at Ryanair flights from Porto, and it's only twice a week, so maybe the best thing would be to get the train to Madrid with my walking buddy and fly home from there if there are flights every day. Not sure when we'll get to Santiago yet - it takes the time it takes and then it looks like it'll take the time it takes to get home as well ... :wink:

Can I get a credencial from Chester, by the way?

All the best,
LM

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back