• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair onboard bag policy changed

Givesome

Cape Hiker
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 27 March 2017
The Ryanair flights from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid are a popular low cost option for pilgrims heading home after the Camino.

On Jan 15th 2018 Ryanair changed its on board bag policy. If you buy the standard ticket you are only allowed one bag with a size of 35x20x20cm. This is the size of a handbag or laptop bag.
If you want to take your carry-on size (55x40x20cm) backpack on boar without checking it you need to buy the additional option: "Priority & 2 Cabin Bags". Ryanair will check your backpack if you don't have this option or it will cost you extra on the airport to buy it. It seems that the Ryanair carry-on size is also smaller than other airlines. Raynair - 55 x 40 x 20cm, Iberia and most other airlines - 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

Please see the new bag policy here: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/flying-with-us/baggage-policy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Givesome
I think it's worth expanding on exactly what a checked bag means in this situation:
If you go non-priority and don't pay the extra for a checked bag, then you are allowed to take into the cabin one bag measuring 35x20x20cm. You are also allowed a 55x40x20 bag, but this will be taken from you at the boarding gate and will then be stowed in the hold.
It strikes me that the key point here is that you don't have to arrive at the airport extra early and queue to check in your bag, but you have the minor incovenience of waiting a few minutes at the other end for your bag to appear on the carousel. For UK folks flying to a little airport like Biarritz this usually less than 5 minutes.
If you have a camino backpack of around 35-40 litres you just need to check that the frame (and objects inside) compresses to 55cm. My Osprey 44L Talon compresses to exactly 55cm. If your items mean your backpack is deeper than 20cm, then take some out and use your drybag for the 35x20x20cm small bag allowance.
This seems to me to be a not very onerous change and might mean quicker take-offs with less time spent in the frenzy of so many folks trying to cram too many oversized bags into the overhead lockers. Si?
Cheers, tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it's worth expanding on exactly what a checked bag means in this situation:
Thank you for this additional explanation! So you arrive at the gate (without having purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags together with your ticket), with your normal sized backpack, and you either pay £50 and take your backpack into the cabin OR you hand over your backpack to the staff to be put into the hold and pay nothing, right? Somehow the latter option seems to be too good to be true ...

Hi Kathar1na - yes, provided your bag meets the size requirements. The exact wording on their website (link in Givesome's post) is:
'If you have not purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags, you are only permitted to bring 1 small bag on board. Your second 10kg bag will be tagged at the gate and put into the hold free of charge.'

Hi Givesome
If you go non-priority and don't pay the extra for a checked bag, then you are allowed to take into the cabin one bag measuring 35x20x20cm. You are also allowed a 55x40x20 bag, but this will be taken from you at the boarding gate and will then be stowed in the hold.
It strikes me that the key point here is that you don't have to arrive at the airport extra early and queue to check in your bag, but you have the minor incovenience of waiting a few minutes at the other end for your bag to appear on the carousel. For UK folks flying to a little airport like Biarritz this usually less than 5 minutes.
If you have a camino backpack of around 35-40 litres you just need to check that the frame (and objects inside) compresses to 55cm. My Osprey 44L Talon compresses to exactly 55cm. If your items mean your backpack is deeper than 20cm, then take some out and use your drybag for the 35x20x20cm small bag allowance.
This seems to me to be a not very onerous change and might mean quicker take-offs with less time spent in the frenzy of so many folks trying to cram too many oversized bags into the overhead lockers. Si?
Cheers, tom
This post explains to me why I am too inept to travel on Ryan Air. All of these details are way too much for my brain. Kudos to those of you who have figured it out

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I shall add a little more confusion having just bought some Ryanair tickets. When you select your flight you're given 3 options (pricing a bit approximate):
Basic flight €50
With 20kg checked bag €100
Super premium €150
Don't be fooled into paying €100 for a hold bag. It appears at this stage you cannot buy priority with a 10kg cabin bag.
Select basic (cheapest option), only then do they give you the priority boarding option for €10 extra so you can take your backpack on board.
Sneaky.

i like that they take the bag and I don't have to drag it onto the plane.

Aerlingus also offer to put your cabin bag into the hold free of charge and will take it at the bag drop desk. This means that I can get around the 100ml liquid limit (I want to bring a 125ml cream) and won't need to worry about security stopping me with my foldable pole. Still need to keep within the weight limit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I choose not to fly with this company, due to their outlook on freighting cattle, sorry passengers.
I will not accept being held hostage to their marketing & shenanigans...
Looking forward to their apparent opening toward negotiating with Danish labour unions in Copenhagen, for starters, where massive strikes were once mounted against the company, but I am not holding my breath......
Hope this does not go against the polite conversation we are trying to uphold in this forum...

Last edited:
Thank you for this additional explanation! So you arrive at the gate (without having purchased Priority & 2 Cabin Bags together with your ticket), with your normal sized backpack, and you either pay £50 and take your backpack into the cabin OR you hand over your backpack to the staff to be put into the hold and pay nothing, right? Somehow the latter option seems to be too good to be true ...
To clarify, you can't take 'normal' sized luggage to the gate. You must pay and check in Ryanair luggage that is over 10kilos and/or over the size of 55,40,20. Don't bring anything obviously larger to the gate, otherwise ground crew can fine you for not following your booking conditions but most importantly, it delays the flights. Read the airline rules for each airline you use. For example easyJet have different rules to Ryanair. easyJet do not allow 2 carry-on bags so any small handbag has to go inside their 56x45x25 one bag only policy, but no weight restrictions . No walking poles was specifically added to the dangerous items rules last year too, in small print. It's a safety policy rather than airlines, due to poles sharp points. Just check your airline rules and all will be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello friends. Thank you all for this input.

I came across this new information earlier this week as I plan my flight from Dublin to Manchester (UK) as I'm walking Wainwright's Way this summer. It was confusing via Ryan Air, yet as I did a trial booking (I go through all the motions and then back out before purchase to get better idea of cost), I found the same that Phil71 does. There is a 10euro option to bring on bag. I think I'll be good just paying the minimum with my 32L bag even if have to put in hold since it is free.

Besides this, might anyone have any suggestions on getting from Dublin to the start of Wainwright's Way (also known as The Coast to Coast)? It looks like only only Ryan Air and Aer Lingus are options to fly to Manchester, and then I'll bus(?) to St. Bees.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

The Ryanair flights from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid are a popular low cost option for pilgrims heading home after the Camino.

On Jan 15th 2018 Ryanair changed its on board bag policy. If you buy the standard ticket you are only allowed one bag with a size of 35x20x20cm. This is the size of a handbag or laptop bag.
If you want to take your carry-on size (55x40x20cm) backpack on boar without checking it you need to buy the additional option: "Priority & 2 Cabin Bags". Ryanair will check your backpack if you don't have this option or it will cost you extra on the airport to buy it. It seems that the Ryanair carry-on size is also smaller than other airlines. Raynair - 55 x 40 x 20cm, Iberia and most other airlines - 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

Please see the new bag policy here: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/flying-with-us/baggage-policy
thank you @Givesome

Hi Givesome
Cheers, tom
Yup. Cheers for that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I mean seriously....the Iberia flight costs 49 Euros (Including taxes)...is this really an issue?

I mean seriously....the Iberia flight costs 49 Euros (Including taxes)...is this really an issue?

True. Perhaps still good to share information for those flying out of airports which Iberia doesn't serve.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What airports in Spain does Iberia not serve? They serve 26 airports in Spain!

My apologies if it seems I've responded out of context. I was thinking more of flying Ryan Air outside of the realm of the Camino (like me Dublin to Manchester) or even from Boston to Madrid if need be. Wherever we may be, it is good to understand the new baggage policy.

Hi Givesome
Cheers, tom
Thanks Tom, very helpful.

i like that they take the bag and I don't have to drag it onto the plane.

Aerlingus also offer to put your cabin bag into the hold free of charge and will take it at the bag drop desk. This means that I can get around the 100ml liquid limit (I want to bring a 125ml cream) and won't need to worry about security stopping me with my foldable pole. Still need to keep within the weight limit.
If I’m reading the Ryanair guidance correctly I don’t think I’ll be able to pack my poles into my backpack (unfortunately) as they say the pack will be ‘taken at the gate’, which still means having to pass through Security with it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This topic (poles) has come up many times. I have had no problem taking mine into the cabin at a number of European airports if they are unscrewed into their component parts (3 in my case) and strapped together.

This topic (poles) has come up many times. I have had no problem taking mine into the cabin at a number of European airports if they are unscrewed into their component parts (3 in my case) and strapped together.
Thanks Glenshiro, I think it’s the luck of the draw. I had a pair confiscated by Security at Stansted Airport, so that’s why I’m wary of carrying them through Security now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Givesome
Cheers, tom
Many thanks Tom...very concise, and clear. Peter Ellis.

I came across this new information earlier this week as I plan my flight from Dublin to Manchester (UK) as I'm walking Wainwright's Way this summer. It was confusing via Ryan Air, yet as I did a trial booking (I go through all the motions and then back out before purchase to get better idea of cost), I found the same that Phil71 does. There is a 10euro option to bring on bag. I think I'll be good just paying the minimum with my 32L bag even if have to put in hold since it is free.

Besides this, might anyone have any suggestions on getting from Dublin to the start of Wainwright's Way (also known as The Coast to Coast)? It looks like only only Ryan Air and Aer Lingus are options to fly to Manchester, and then I'll bus(?) to St. Bees.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Hi Simeon. How long is the bus to st bees? It doesn't look a good journey. I would try the train (airport - manchester picadilly - Carlisle - st bees). That's still over 3 hours but more pleasant than the bus I would think?
Phil.

Hello Phil,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Now I will look into the train schedule and go that way. I enjoy the train more than bus as well especially if more efficient. I appreciate your insight here.

Have a great day,
Simeon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Hi - You can take a ferry from Dublin to Liverpool and then a train or bus to St. Bees from there.
- Julie

Hi - You can take a ferry from Dublin to Liverpool and then a train or bus to St. Bees from there.
- Julie

Ohh...I had never thought of that. Thank you Julie! Would you say this is quicker than flying to Manchester and taking train to St. Bees?

I and my friend flew from Turin to Brindisi with Ryanair several days ago, with non-priority tickets. We had handbags and 35-liter backpacks, and were prepared to surrender the backpacks at the gate, but the ladies there just glanced at them and told us to go straight to the aircraft!

Hi Givesome
Cheers, tom
Hi Tom,

I wonder if you could possibly let me know the size of your OSPREY Talon 44L? as a tall person with a long torso, I am wondering if a M/L still packs down to the requisite 55cm.

Thanks,

Ben

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back