• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair "stamp" at check-in?

Sho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, 2019, 2022, 2023; Inglés 2024
I haven't flown Ryanair before, and encountered a couple of articles stating that one has to get a "stamp" from Ryanair before going through security. However, these articles were a few years old. Is this still true? Bonus question: Where would I get this stamp in DUB? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My partner has to get a visa check stamp for his US passport before flying from the UK on Ryaniar, you go to the bag check-in area to do it and there's a special note on your boarding pass. If you've got an EU passport I don't think you need to do this (I've never done it).

Thanks. I'll be on a US passport. I've never heard of a visa check stamp like this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sounds like an Urban Myth. What would the purpose of this stamp be? Certainly not the Camino.

Thanks. I'll be on a US passport. I've never heard of a visa check stamp like this.
Ryanair does this to save time at the gate. If you have a non EU passport you must get a stamp before going through security. Ask at the check in desk where this is done. At the Santiago airport they sent me to another counter. This also means that you can't use a mobile boarding pass. Make sure that you print your boarding pass before you get to the airport, as Ryanair charges a hefty fee to print it at the airport.

I think it's becoming more common, Virgin and United do similar visa checks for flights from UK to US - that's more confusing you *have* to get a sticker before you check your bags and it's easy to walk to past the staff who do the check. (Ryanair put a stamp on your boarding pass not a passport stamp, it might be a UK thing, thinking about it we didn't stop and get stamp coming back from Luxembourg a couple of weeks ago).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Okay, I am corrected! Having flown with them only a few times I don't remember this procedure at all.

Thanks. It sounds like this is a stamp that demonstrates that someone from Ryanair reviewed your travel documents and determined that your passport or visa meets criteria for crossing that frontier. So it's not a "visa," but a "stamp indicating that the visa is compliant," yes?

I'm not so concerned about the particular requirement as I am about reading stories of people unable to find the desk, the desk not being able to find the stamp, people being told they don't need it then being denied boarding, etc.

Is this a UK-related thing? I haven't encountered it on United but haven't had a stop or layover in the UK with United recently. I will be back and forth between Dublin and Belfast on the road prior to my camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My partner has to get a visa check stamp for his US passport before flying from the UK on Ryaniar, you go to the bag check-in area to do it and there's a special note on your boarding pass. If you've got an EU passport I don't think you need to do this (I've never done it).
I have had this done at a number of airports. It appears to be a simple airport/airline control measure that has been applied at the boarding gate by a security guard or the like once they have checked that your boarding pass is for the flight departing from that gate. It might have other purposes, but I avoid openly questioning the rationale for the activities of check-in, security and boarding gate staff when I am that close to my flight!

Thanks. It sounds like this is a stamp that demonstrates that someone from Ryanair reviewed your travel documents and determined that your passport or visa meets criteria for crossing that frontier. So it's not a "visa," but a "stamp indicating that the visa is compliant," yes?
Perhaps you should ask the staff doing this what purpose it serves should it happen to you. Remember that when you do, you will be holding up a queue of people who are much more interested in the efficiency of the boarding process, and might find your natural curiosity about this oddly misplaced!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's my understanding that doing this before the passenger even goes through security speeds up the boarding process at the gate.
Anything for a good cause? However, I don't recall when it happened whether the boarding gate staff did less checking of one's boarding pass and passport. However, if it stopped one or two people being at the wrong boarding gate to hold up the process, that might be a good thing. In any case, I would be speculating about both the intent and effects.

dougfitz, How is this reply helpful? What makes you think it's about my "curiosity"? You are the person who suggests asking an agent, then dings me for holding up the queue. Why do you suppose I'm asking here, rather than waiting until I'm there?

dougfitz, How is this reply helpful? What makes you think it's about my "curiosity"? You are the person who suggests asking an agent, then dings me for holding up the queue. Why do you suppose I'm asking here, rather than waiting until I'm there?
Really! You were the one who asked if a particular set of assertions you had made was correct here:
Let me give you a more complete response so that you better understand.

This element of your post contains several elements:
  1. that the person doing the check is a Ryanair employee
  2. that they are checking your travel documents, which at some stage comprise a ticket, passport and boarding pass, possibly an IHC, visas if they are issued separately from your passport, letter from your doctor regarding medications you are taking and if you are travelling with a minor who is not your own child, letters from an appropriate authority for that person to accompany you. There might be more.
  3. that the check is to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements for 'crossing that frontier' which I take to mean that you are eligible for entry to the country of your final destination, and
  4. that the stamp is of the nature that indicates that 'the visa is compliant'.
And then you ask 'yes?' in some sort of expectation that someone who is reading this post can nod wisely and affirm that all of your four assertions are correct.

So rather than give you a long winded explanation why that is extremely unlikely to happen, and if you are genuinely interested in knowing each of these things, it might be easier for you to ask yourself were you to face these circumstances, I shortcut all of that.

As for whether I have dinged you for holding up the queue, that is clearly nonsense. In the first place, it doesn't appear that you have held up any queue for this purpose, otherwise you wouldn't have had to ask the question. Second, I am suggesting that the moment to ask this question is not when you are in a queue. So well done for asking the question well in anticipation, but please don't expect any one member of a forum group to be able answer each individual element of a complex proposition such as yours.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From Ryanair's website:
I’m a non EU/EEA passenger do I need extra travel document/visa check?

Ryanair's website refers to a "Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk" which performs this document check.

In practice, the Document Check Desk may be a dedicated desk away from the check-in desks (as trecile described). At my tiny, local, airport, the check is performed at the check-in counter, by the company that Ryanair outsources this work to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug does make a valid point. I did this sort of thing early in my government career. I will tell you with some authority, that asking questions about airline boarding or security procedures, especially before and during security checks is going to set off alarm bells in the head of the reviewer. They are trained to focus on anomalies. Asking question is anomalous. Here is why...

First, it is because few people ask. Asking makes you stand out, Standing out is a BAD THING during airport security.

Second, bad people seeking to learn about procedures so they can improve future plans to do bad things to good people, will ask questions like this.

That is why just being observant, and accepting what your fellow, perhaps more experienced pilgrim travelers suggest is a good approach. Besides, Doug was not assailing you personally... and neither am I.

Chill friend...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anything for a good cause? However, I don't recall when it happened whether the boarding gate staff did less checking of one's boarding pass and passport. However, if it stopped one or two people being at the wrong boarding gate to hold up the process, that might be a good thing. In any case, I would be speculating about both the intent and effects.
The intent is to save money by being on time and able to turn the plane around quickly for the next flight.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I'm not so concerned about the particular requirement as I am about reading stories of people unable to find the desk, the desk not being able to find the stamp, people being told they don't need it then being denied boarding, etc.

Is this a UK-related thing? I haven't encountered it on United but haven't had a stop or layover in the UK with United recently. I will be back and forth between Dublin and Belfast on the road prior to my camino.
I’m Irish, and my husband is from New Zealand. He has to show his passport with his boarding pass at the Ryanair desk when we fly. Every time. I on the other hand have an EU passport, and don’t have to do this. We live in Ireland and travel frequently to Europe. It’s a bit of a hassle for him, but no big deal.

I’m Irish, and my husband is from New Zealand. He has to show his passport with his boarding pass at the Ryanair desk when we fly. Every time. I on the other hand have an EU passport, and don’t have to do this. We live in Ireland and travel frequently to Europe. It’s a bit of a hassle for him, but no big deal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most importantly, PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS if you need the visa check as indicated at the top of your pass. From London to Biarritz, there was a 55£ fee if RYANAIR had to print them!!!! Same requirement and fee when I flew Frankfurt to London with them last year. Fortunately, I printed mine.

BTW, neither time was it a stamp; they simply signed their initials near the VISA CHECK section. Frankfurt Airport check was done at check-in while Stansted/London gave you a choice of at check-in prince you were past security.

If your passport is invalid at your destination, I believe the airlines are required to take you back at their expense. That's why airlines always check passports.

-Paul

I haven't flown Ryanair before, and encountered a couple of articles stating that one has to get a "stamp" from Ryanair before going through security. However, these articles were a few years old. Is this still true? Bonus question: Where would I get this stamp in DUB? Thanks.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Print your ticket; they will stamp/sign it when you check-in.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back