• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair-time to find another airline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...racist-tirade-on-ryanair-flight-to-show-world

A racist traveler on Ryanair decided it would be best if he were to shout and insult an elderly Black woman on his flight. Abuse, expletives, and foul language resulted in the crew moving THE WOMAN and allowing the man to remain seated and to complete the flight. I find this horrendous and intolerable. Ryanair is scheduled to begin flying to Israel later this year, I, for one, will never be aboard! Inexpensive or not, I would certainly ask others to consider boycotting this company until this issue is resolved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Read this article too and of course Ryanair states they are intolerant of this. I’m hoping the man is banned from flights, and the police arrest him. Funny Ryanair was asking for assistance when the know who this person is, there is video and photographs provided already etc. no excuses. Do the right thing Ryanair.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...racist-tirade-on-ryanair-flight-to-show-world

A racist traveler on Ryanair decided it would be best if he were to shout and insult an elderly Black woman on his flight. Abuse, expletives, and foul language resulted in the crew moving THE WOMAN and allowing the man to remain seated and to complete the flight. I find this horrendous and intolerable. Ryanair is scheduled to begin flying to Israel later this year, I, for one, will never be aboard! Inexpensive or not, I would certainly ask others to consider boycotting this company until this issue is resolved.

Whilst, I totally agree with you that the outburst was totally out of order, one look at the (gentleman's) features would tell you that he was in a fragile state. Some times it is better just to leave people in such a state alone and safely reposition the target of their abuse. It may be that the reaction of the staff was questionable, but it can be over simple to condemn the staff in such a situation they also are mere human beings and we only seen part of what happened.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with 'rector' above. What should the staff have done, dragged the insulting old guy down the isle? That got tried in the U.S. and it didn't work out so well! Watching a crazy event on-line is a lot easier than being in the middle of one first-hand. Ask any first responder ....

Whilst, I totally agree with you that the outburst was totally out of order, one look at the (gentleman's) features would tell you that he was in a fragile state. Some times it is better just to leave people in such a state alone and safely reposition the target of their abuse. It may be that the reaction of the staff was questionable, but it can be over simple to condemn the staff in such a situation they also are mere human beings and we only seen part of what happened.
Really?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good to hear this report. It is important to me to not patronize places that accept this behavior. Don't get me started on my experience with Iberia and the lost hiking poles!

I am not a fan of Ryanair but in this situation the aircrew were probably correct to remove the lady from the situation of suffering any more verbal abuse. The flight was already delayed by over an hour and removing the guy from the flight would have delayed it by a further two hours at least - bit of a no win situation for the aircrew me thinks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was satisfied to see that a male in the seat behind him at least shushed him as much as he could...
Even tapped him on the shoulder to keep him quiet..
Noone knows if he was this rude to his wife and his family too...

Last edited:
I really don't understand people's reactions sometimes.

While this is a pretty deplorable incident, the two people involved represent less than 2 millionths of 1% of Ryanair's annual customers, I don't quite see how it follows on that Ryanair supports racism and deserves to be boycotted. The aircrew could have handled it better but as @rector so rightly pointed out they're only humans in uniforms and we're all fallible, when you work in a customer facing environment you're bound to have incidents that by personality or training you're not prepared for.

Meanwhile Ryanair routinely avoid tax and treat their staff terribly but this isolated incident is the straw that broke the camel's back?????

Last edited:
I wasn't there, I did not see and hear it first hand. The video is only partial. While I agree that the conduct was unforgivable and the airline should have done something different, I cannot pass judgement.

As usual, I am sure there is more to the story that we are not getting.

Chill, y'all...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I was planning to use this airline to get to Wroclaw in May. Now, there is No way I would ever use Ryanair. Further, had this red neck Kentuckian been on the flight, the racist punk would now be sporting a shiner.

I am not a fan of Ryanair but in this situation the aircrew were probably correct to remove the lady from the situation of suffering any more verbal abuse. The flight was already delayed by over an hour and removing the guy from the flight would have delayed it by a further two hours at least - bit of a no win situation for the aircrew me thinks.
- yes let's just deal with racism if we have the time - must of been very time consuming when Rosa Parkes refused to move to the back of the bus.

It’s terrible - it offends our sensibilities and peels away the thin veneer of our modern civilisation.

The man clearly needs help
Some good will come from it, I’m sure

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have never travelled with Ryanair. Why not?? Because of the way they treat the staff, they don’t have an agreement with the unions, they don’t really care about costumers or staff members safety. I agree that it was better to leave the man alone and move the lady. Approaching the could have coursed a much worse situation. Do any one know what have happened before or after. Did the lady get an excuse or were everybody to busy for that? I don’t know, but I will never travel with Ryanair.
Have a nice day to everybody

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would imagine the offender has mental health issues and would not respond to reason from both staff and other passengers. While it seems wrong to remove the victim it appears to have been the best compromise.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The reason the crew didn't eject the man was probably more to do with the plane already being late and they didn't want to lose their slot time. Time = Money and with Ryanair it's all about money, not ethics.
As alarming as the event itself the fact that Ryanair has yet to issue an apology speaks for itself.

The reason the crew didn't eject the man was probably more to do with the plane already being late and they didn't want to lose their slot time. Time = Money and with Ryanair it's all about money, not ethics.
As alarming as the event itself the fact that Ryanair has yet to issue an apology speaks for itself.

´xactly !"

You seem to be tarring the air crew with the brush of their employers.

Unless anyone can demonstrate otherwise my understanding is that the staff on the plane would make more money through overtime and so would actually be incentivised to prolong the situation if they were only motivated by money. I have actually experienced something like this on an Easyjet flight where they waited about 3 minutes to open the plane doors so that it was after midnight and they'd get an extra payment.

This forum is usually so filled with supportiveness and yet just because these people work for a company most don't like we assume the worst. Is it not just as likely that the air crew were overwhelmed by the situation and made poor decisions. If I were faced with a hostile passenger and it seemed there was a way to defuse the situation by moving the victim rather than confronting the aggressor I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to take it. These people are not well paid and unless you've been in a position where conflict negation was a major part of your job I'm not sure it's fair to criticise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You seem to be tarring the air crew with the brush of their employers.

Unless anyone can demonstrate otherwise my understanding is that the staff on the plane would make more money through overtime and so would actually be incentivised to prolong the situation if they were only motivated by money. I have actually experienced something like this on an Easyjet flight where they waited about 3 minutes to open the plane doors so that it was after midnight and they'd get an extra payment.

This forum is usually so filled with supportiveness and yet just because these people work for a company most don't like we assume the worst. Is it not just as likely that the air crew were overwhelmed by the situation and made poor decisions. If I were faced with a hostile passenger and it seemed there was a way to defuse the situation by moving the victim rather than confronting the aggressor I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to take it. These people are not well paid and unless you've been in a position where conflict negation was a major part of your job I'm not sure it's fair to criticise.
Sorry you misunderstood my posting so badly.

The question of money isn't about the CREW getting more it's about delays costing the company money.

Slot times are rigorously policed. If an aircraft pulls out of its slot time the flight drops down the take off order until it is safe to take off - you can't push back into line.

The aircraft then has to sit there, burning expensive fuel through its idling engines and is unlikely to be able to return to the bay it left as an inbound flight has probably already taken it (at a busy airport) unless it needs to be evacuated (equipment failure etc.)

So, to reiterate NOT the crew making money but MICHAEL O'LEARY losing it.

BTW - my ex-wife was a stewie who worked for a similar outfit in the 70s-80s :)

Edit - and flight crew are trained to deal with conflict just as much as how to release the chutes and evacuate in an emergency!

Last edited:
Read this article too and of course Ryanair states they are intolerant of this. I’m hoping the man is banned from flights, and the police arrest him. Funny Ryanair was asking for assistance when the know who this person is, there is video and photographs provided already etc. no excuses. Do the right thing Ryanair.
Unfortunately, the police cannot touch him as it was outside their jurisdiction. Until the plane starts moving, it is under the jurisdiction of the Spanish authorities. They should have been called in at the time and unless Spain now issues a European arrest warrant, there is nothing anyone can do. Also bear in mind, the guy in the black shirt who tried to intervene on the lady's behalf was quite adamant that they should get her another seat which they choose to do. Whether or not the staff acted appropriately, you cannot blame the whole airline. It is easy for us to demand action but legally, there is nothing that can be done from the British end. Ryanair have I believe now put it in the hands of Spanish police

Sorry you misunderstood my posting so badly.

The question of money isn't about the CREW getting more it's about delays costing the company money.

Edit - and flight crew are trained to deal with conflict just as much as how to release the chutes and evacuate in an emergency!

But do you really think in the heat of the moment the crew (who last year were striking) were thinking "Oh no, our evil boss might lose some money, we'd better side with a racist"?

Being trained and having the confidence to apply that training are not neccessarily the same.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But do you really think in the heat of the moment the crew (who last year were striking) were thinking "Oh no, our evil boss might lose some money, we'd better side with a racist"?
They were probably thinking "oh no, our boss will kick our asses if we call the police and dont leave on time." because their boss clearly does not care about people (staff and/or passangers)

The guy was not fragile!! He was a rascist.
No excuses!! If he didnt like people of other origin what was he doing in barcelona???
Is there sworthy skin not as bad as others??
Ryanair staff failed completely!
Get the police and let them sort it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Being trained and having the confidence to apply that training are not neccessarily the same.
Well let's just hope they don't have to deal with something like an engine fire or collapsed undercarriage and have to do an emergency evacuation then because they're trained to deal with those too.

As I enter this debate I will start by saying that I am a big fan of Ryanair. I have been flying with airline for 30 years and in recent times I would be on ten to twenty flights per year. I have never had any cause for complaint, no member of Ryanair staff has ever been rude to me, I have never seen a member of Ryanair staff being rude to anyone else. On two or three occasions I have witnessed Ryanair staff be very firm with passengers who were angry and rude as a result of being made to pay for baggage that clearly exceeded the well-publicised limits.

While I expect no more of Ryanair than I would expect of an inter-city bus operator, on a number of occasions I have had particularly positive experiences with the airline.
  • On my way to Riga Airport I managed to lose two boarding passes and the attendant at the Ryanair desk in the airport printed off replacements for €2 or €3 each.
  • My son and I separately booked seats on the same flights from Berlin to Dublin. We both have the same uncommon name and a Ryanair representative phoned me to make sure that it wasn’t a duplicate booking.
  • I once made an error in booking a flight out of Luton to connect with my incoming flight to Gatwick. I realised I had made a mistake within 24 hours and was able to use “live chat” to cancel the Luton flight and book one out of Gatwick. The fares were the same and there was no charge for the service.
  • A friend who had booked five return tickets to Portugal had to cancel when her father died a few days before departure. She wrote to Ryanair explaining the circumstances and received a courteous reply offering condolences, with an assurance of a full refund on submission of a copy of the death certificate.
I have in my possession the copy of a return Aer Lingus ticket for a trip from Dublin to Amsterdam in 1981. The cost was almost £300. I didn’t pay for it, my employer did. Allowing for inflation, the equivalent today would be in the region of £2,000 to £3,000. If Michael O’Leary hadn’t made regular flying possible for the masses, few of us today would be making multiple flights per year and there would be very many fewer jobs available for cabin crew and pilots.

Now on to the Barcelona incident. I would probably side with those who say that the police should have been called to remove the man. It is, however, a judgement call and I won’t criticise the way it was handled. First of all Ryanair was not rude to the woman, it was the male passenger. The cabin crew had no authority to have the man removed from the plane. To those who argue that the man should have been moved to another seat rather than the woman, I’d say it is quite possible that he would then be rude to the unfortunate passenger he was seated beside.

Only the flight captain has the authority to remove someone from an aircraft. On this occasion he or she also had to think on the impact this would have on the other 200 or so passengers who were already delayed. Had the man been taken from the plane his hold luggage would have to be located and removed from the plane. This would have meant negotiating a new and later departure slot, further inconveniencing all the other passengers.

For years vested interests have been criticising Ryanair while ignoring the fact the some 140 million passengers per year make use of the airline. The criticism has had some effect as we can see from this string. People who have never travelled on the airline are willing to voice criticism and say they will never fly with it.

To those who argue that the man should have been moved to another seat rather than the woman, I’d say it is quite possible that he would then be rude to the unfortunate passenger he was seated beside.
Also, from a practical point of view it makes sense that the woman moved from her aisle seat to a seat next to her daughter further in the back (ie just one passenger changes seats) instead of the daughter moving to a seat next to her mother and the man moving from his window seat to another seat (ie two passengers change seats). Passengers were still boarding during the whole incident and afterwards.

The woman says halfway through the video that she wishes to sit next to her daughter. I guess people perceive it as an injustice that she did not remain in her seat. People commenting on the incident in social media wish for immediate punishment for the vile racists insults, in the form of the man having to give up his seat and/or being removed from the flight. Captain and crew, I suppose, are primarily concerned with making sure that there is no disruptive behaviour during the flight and the safety of plane, crew and passengers is guaranteed.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would imagine the offender has mental health issues and would not respond to reason from both staff and other passengers. While it seems wrong to remove the victim it appears to have been the best compromise.

Another reason for him to be removed before the aircraft departed.

As I enter this debate I will start by saying that I am a big fan of Ryanair. I have been flying with airline for 30 years and in recent times I would be on ten to twenty flights per year. I have never had any cause for complaint, no member of Ryanair staff has ever been rude to me, I have never seen a member of Ryanair staff being rude to anyone else. On two or three occasions I have witnessed Ryanair staff be very firm with passengers who were angry and rude as a result of being made to pay for baggage that clearly exceeded the well-publicised limits.

While I expect no more of Ryanair than I would expect of an inter-city bus operator, on a number of occasions I have had particularly positive experiences with the airline.
  • On my way to Riga Airport I managed to lose two boarding passes and the attendant at the Ryanair desk in the airport printed off replacements for €2 or €3 each.
  • My son and I separately booked seats on the same flights from Berlin to Dublin. We both have the same uncommon name and a Ryanair representative phoned me to make sure that it wasn’t a duplicate booking.
  • I once made an error in booking a flight out of Luton to connect with my incoming flight to Gatwick. I realised I had made a mistake within 24 hours and was able to use “live chat” to cancel the Luton flight and book one out of Gatwick. The fares were the same and there was no charge for the service.
  • A friend who had booked five return tickets to Portugal had to cancel when her father died a few days before departure. She wrote to Ryanair explaining the circumstances and received a courteous reply offering condolences, with an assurance of a full refund on submission of a copy of the death certificate.
I have in my possession the copy of a return Aer Lingus ticket for a trip from Dublin to Amsterdam in 1981. The cost was almost £300. I didn’t pay for it, my employer did. Allowing for inflation, the equivalent today would be in the region of £2,000 to £3,000. If Michael O’Leary hadn’t made regular flying possible for the masses, few of us today would be making multiple flights per year and there would be very many fewer jobs available for cabin crew and pilots.

Now on to the Barcelona incident. I would probably side with those who say that the police should have been called to remove the man. It is, however, a judgement call and I won’t criticise the way it was handled. First of all Ryanair was not rude to the woman, it was the male passenger. The cabin crew had no authority to have the man removed from the plane. To those who argue that the man should have been moved to another seat rather than the woman, I’d say it is quite possible that he would then be rude to the unfortunate passenger he was seated beside.

Only the flight captain has the authority to remove someone from an aircraft. On this occasion he or she also had to think on the impact this would have on the other 200 or so passengers who were already delayed. Had the man been taken from the plane his hold luggage would have to be located and removed from the plane. This would have meant negotiating a new and later departure slot, further inconveniencing all the other passengers.

For years vested interests have been criticising Ryanair while ignoring the fact the some 140 million passengers per year make use of the airline. The criticism has had some effect as we can see from this string. People who have never travelled on the airline are willing to voice criticism and say they will never fly with it.
Completely agree, I used Ryanair every year I travel to the CF and fine the staff very good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The video showed Ryanair in a poor light however IMHO the drive should be to prosecute the racist rather than persecute the Ryanair staff or the airline Like the black lady, but to a a much lesser extent, they were also victims of this horrible person.

Completely agree, I used Ryanair every year I travel to the CF and fin[d] the staff very good.
Nothing can excuse the horrible racial insults that you can hear in the video. And it's an almighty global sh*tstorm now. But apparently, some things presented themselves a bit differently before and after the ugly verbal abuse than what a part of the global audience assumes.

As I said, nothing excuses the behaviour and words of this irascible old man. It's difficult to hear what the woman and the crew member say on the video. In fact, the elderly woman says something like: "I'd like to sit with my daughter now, can I sit with my daughter" and the crew member looks around and says something like: "I don't know. Maybe."(difficult to understand). She then gets up and leaves her seat for good. Her daughter isn't actually there when the exchange turns so ugly as she had dashed to the toilets and, in her own words, did not hear or know anything "until two hours after the flight when I was shown the tape".

The whole itv interview is here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJVhN7DX5RI . I do feel that the flight attendant tried to do his best. And they are probably familiar with severe disruptive behaviour from what I read. Ryanair, being so cheap, is popular with stag and hen party passengers.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ryanair and Easyjet have plenty of vile people travelling on them. Heaps of drunk and drugged up people, even cases of couples having sex during the flight (and not in the toilet). Luckily pilgrims don't usually travel the routes with the worst behaviour. Ryanair in particular also has extremely short turnaround times at airports (you have probably noticed being herded up and made to stand on the stairs or bridge while passengers leave the plane). I don't think it reflects anything on the crew that the woman was made to move and not the man. Their training is to contain aggressive passengers and keep other passengers safe, not to make political points using seating plans. Sadly aggressive passengers are a daily fact of life for them.

I agree with @Houlet that the employees and other passengers suffered trauma (albeit not as great as the woman who was racially abused). I feel sympathy for them, even if I wish that the employees had responded differently. But I don't see Ryanair, as a "victim," in this episode.
Unruly passengers and air rage are risks that airlines prepare for. It's legitimate to hold Ryanair responsible for the policies and practices that governed the employee response and for the airline's actions in the aftermath of this incident.
We can ask - Did the airline establish a culture in which race hate is not tolerated? Did it train employees adequately to make tough judgement calls in tense circumstances? Did it give them clear channels to escalate issues and get help? Did it empower them to override operational targets such as on-time departure when necessary? Did it ensure that its culture and reward structures do not inhibit employees from "doing the right thing?"
It's my observation that Ryanair doesn't put as much effort into culture as other airlines do. For example, while Ryanair employees are good people, they don't deliver service in a consistent way. I've flown Ryanair about 8 times this year. During those flights, I encountered a male flight attendant who called female passengers "darling," and another flight attendant who shared a personal, sob-story over the PA to sell us the airline's charity scratch cards. This sort of thing doesn't happen in companies that set guidelines for the tone of service and train employees in the "soft," skills.
Of course, I didn't complain about these things. But I noted them as indicative of the company's focus on cost cutting and its skepticism about culture. For example, the CEO, Michael O'Leary only decided that being "nice," to passengers was a good idea when he saw that "unnecessarily pissing them off," was hurting Ryanair's profits.
This is quite odd for a CEO who looked to Southwest Airlines for lessons on how to run a Low Cost Carrier. It seems to me that he only paid attention the "hard," elements of the Southwest model (fast turnaround of aircraft, homogenous fleet, no frills), and he ignored the "soft," aspects of Southwest's success story, such as the emphasis that Southwest puts on culture, the trust that it puts in its people, and the passion it has for building a well-loved brand.
Now let's look at Ryanair's response in the aftermath of this incident. The terse statement that this is "a police matter," shows no empathy and gives no indication that Ryanair has any introspection. Does the airline have any plan to review the episode and learn from it? Does Ryanair agree that race hate should not be tolerated? Does Ryanair care? From a PR point of view, this is shoddy. Ryanair isn't a victim here. The reputational damage is self inflicted.

Well, I have to agree with the sentiment that just came in to us in a report on one of the comments in this thread:

This debate has gone well beyond Camino and pilgrim issues, and there will be no resolution on the forum. It will eventually have to be closed. Better now than later!!

There have been a few deletions but all in all the debate has been respectful. But I think we are now at the “beating dead horses” stage. Time to close.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back