• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have just discovered this while booking my next flight to Santiago. I have paid £5 each way for priority booking which includes taking my rucksack in the cabin and have also paid for seats, it's not very clear on their website until you come to book a flight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might like to know Ryanair are changing their carry on baggage rules as of 15th January

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ryanair-new-baggage-rules/

I just booked a Ryanair flight to Girona (then train/bus to Irun) for 16.99€ standard fare Feb 26th. The fare has varied from this low to as high as 40€ in one week, I just kept checking. I take the PRIORITY extra fee option to get my backpack on board with me, it’s smaller than most peoples wheelie. Still a pain since no one starting a Camino,wants to be separated from their pack.

A summer Camino usually means smaller backpack which can fit under seat meaning no need for extra charge.
35cm x 20cm x 20cm? Have yet to see anyone walk with anything this small. What is it? 10 l.?

Anyone who has flown out of Santiago with Ryan Air has already had to check their pack. This means a reduction in price for these people. As to the disadvantages the article lists.... how alarmist. But I’m glad to heave learned about the changes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
35cm x 20cm x 20cm? Have yet to see anyone walk with anything this small. What is it? 10 l.?

Anyone who has flown out of Santiago with Ryan Air has already had to check their pack. This means a reduction in price for these people. As to the disadvantages the article lists.... how alarmist. But I’m glad to heave learned about the changes.

According to Google, it's 14L - which seems to equal the product of the three dimensions in cm - my pack is a Gregory Miwok 12L but I'm rather extreme about reducing weight (silk liner, very few spare clothes and mainly liquid)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might like to know Ryanair are changing their carry on baggage rules as of 15th January
Thanks for posting this vital information, Jeff. I could have come a cropper flying out of Dublin in May. Fortunately I haven't booked yet.

I contacted Ryanair to clarify. You can have 1 carry on 52x40x20 <10kg no charge but if you have second say handbag then you have to put one in hold or pay extra for 2 cabin bags. I paid 6€ for PRIORITY boarding so can take my 1 bag on board (pack 52x35x15 6kg). The problem are the abusers who try to carry on 2 big suitcases and bags and laptop etc.

Thanks Colette for this clarification.
I have booked to fly Ryanair from Santiago to Malaga after my Camino and then Malaga to Dublin.
I never intended to have a second small bag with me, but I now realise that I must book priority.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GOOD luck it’s kind of a gamble until you get to the gate. My only concern is carrying my pack with me TO Spain, on the way h9me after I don’t care if it goes in hold. Priority means you board first so get first access to overhead bins, that’s Ryanair’s issue not enough and too small overhead bins on old planes.

A summer Camino usually means smaller backpack which can fit under seat meaning no need for extra charge.
The small print I read says that the one small bag has to be under 5kg. If you do not want to pay to have your bag in the cabin they will put it in the hold, as you go to boarding gate. Their argument is that too many passengers are arguing about space, of which there is not enough, and this is delaying takeoff. If they think this will sort it out...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When flying with RyanAir, I always check my bag and I have to pay extra for that.
Now.... I could just turn up at the gate with my rucksack and they'll put it in the hold free of charge? :confused:
Sounds good to me if that is the case :D

When flying with RyanAir, I always check my bag and I have to pay extra for that.
Now.... I could just turn up at the gate with my rucksack and they'll put it in the hold free of charge? :confused:
Sounds good to me if that is the case :D
Yes, Domigee. Precisely that. You can check the previous response or just google Ryanair baggage fees.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just booked Ryan Air Frankfurt Int. to Porto and went ahead and paid priority boarding. This way, our back packs come on board with us, we have reserved seats and we can put a smaller bag with poles, etc. in the checked luggage without any more fees. RT for 2 people came to 224€, which was still half the price of any other airline.

Just booked Ryan Air Frankfurt Int. to Porto and went ahead and paid priority boarding. This way, our back packs come on board with us, we have reserved seats and we can put a smaller bag with poles, etc. in the checked luggage without any more fees. RT for 2 people came to 224€, which was still half the price of any other airline.

I think we’ve figured out now how to work with Ryanair. But I must say my ticket Bratislava to Girona/Barcelona w priority boarding (no checked bag, I send my poles ahead to my first accommodation) cost me 22€. I take the train to Irun.

If you're going to use Ryan to get a ticket home please make sure you book your return flight when you buy your ticket too where you want to get to in Spain/France.

I ended up in Santiago without a return ticket and they wanted to slug me over 600 Euro to get to Stansted. I travelled to Santander by bus and train, had a great time, cost next to nothing and got Ryan Air to Stansted for less than 50.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I already have three reservations on Ryanair after my Camino. I carry only my backpack (40 or 50 L) which I have had no problem last year with the airline. Will I have problems this year unless I buy priority boarding or ??
It is hard to measure the dimensions of backpacks.

We already have our round trip tickets, Frankfurt to Porto, Porto to Frankfurt. Will take a bus from Santiago to Porto at the end of our Camino.
You can measure your back pack, height, width and depth. Just have to be sure not to pack it too full so it doesn't stick up over their measuring cage.

I just booked Ryanair for a March camino and in the booking process there was a pop-up explaining it all. I paid €/£5 each way for priority boarding to take my 33/44L (still undecided) backpack on board, that way I know where it is and it has no chance of going missing - plus I get out of the airport marginally quicker by avoiding the carousel. I also paid for a seat. Still cheaper than checking the pack in, which is £25 each way, and I will send my poles to my first accommodation by post, so all in all I saved money still.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I already have three reservations on Ryanair after my Camino. I carry only my backpack (40 or 50 L) which I have had no problem last year with the airline. Will I have problems this year unless I buy priority boarding or ??
It is hard to measure the dimensions of backpacks.
Sorry to be pedantic, but if you read the announcement on their site you will get your answer. Can you look up your backpack online, usually they give technical specifications... you should already have received emails from Ryanair about the issue as you have already made bookings. It is a tossup, makes life easier slightly if you pay the fee, and it is not that much.

Take manufacturer's measurements with a grain of salt though, they often give the absolute maximum sizes, for example with the main pack and lid completely stuffed and standing much higher than it will when you compact it down for the flight. Do your best to measure the pack you have with approx the amount of gear you will bring, and tighten all the straps. My 30 litre pack fits under the seat in front of me!

You have reason with you, nidarosa... I am in the fortunate position of having a 15 minute walk to a free air coach to Dublin airport. A perk for having reached retirement age! Free bus and train travel within Ireland. One of these days I am going to fill my backpack as you suggest, and try to stuff it into the Ryanair gauge. It is a 33/40, and I plan to take it on my next flight to Bilbao with Aerlingus. I will pay Ryanair the ten euro for the return leg of my trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've just flown Ryanair, the new rules came out while I was away. Non priority carry on bags are tagged at the gate and travel in the hold. I had a small (carry on size) backpack and was ready for it to go into the hold but it wasn't tagged so I took it on as before . The luggage lockers had plenty of space instead of the usual scrum and getting on and off the plane seemed smoother without the usual mix of multiple bags and people in a small area.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back