• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Jul-Aug 05, Frances, Jul-Aug 06, Portugues, Oct 2010
I've seen the following on an aviation forum:

Ryanair announced today that it will close all three international routes from Santiago de Compostela - to London Stansted, Frankfurt Hahn and Rome Ciampino - from January 11, 2011. The reason for this cancellation is Xunta de Galicia's refusal to assist in promotion and marketing of the region in Germany, Italy and the UK. Ryanair will contact each passenger affected by the cancellations and will offer the reimbursement or the option of flying from another airport in the Ryanair network.

The cancellation of the international routes from Lavacolla means also Ryanair's withdrawal from its base creation plans at SCQ.

So that will just leave the Spanish domestic routes. If you're currently booked on one of the dropped routes, check your emails, or retrieve your booking online.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
..this has not been decided yet. Ryanair know that the Xunta will have a meeting in a few days making a decision on this topic. So they decided to have a press conference yesterday saying "If you do not give us more money.....".

The alternative would be Porto (or Vueling from London to Coruña, AirFrance to Vigo).

My feeling on this is that if they do decide to pull out... there will be new companies that will come back to Santiago... Vueling being one candidate. AirEuropa has in the last few months started flying from Santiago again, after a long time with no flights.

Next year...new airport as well...

By the way, Ryanair still will be flying their national routes....either way.

Saludos,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola
Just had a look on the Ryanair web site, I have flights booked for January and March from Stansted to Santiago, but there is no flights coming up. No other information either.

There's nothing official on their website as yet, but according to press reports such as http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/2010/10/ ... rt-routes/ they've just announced they're chopping several routes from Hahn, including the one to Santiago.

They're blaming increased taxes in Germany though, and they blamed similar taxes in Britain for cutting back on flights from British airports. When you run on low margins, you have to be ruthless, I suppose.

The info, complete with Ryanair's rather over-the-top spin, is on the Spanish section of their web site http://www.ryanair.com/es/novedades...-internacionales-desde-santiago-de-compostela.

And according to the Correo Gallego, Ryanair didn't even bother to turn up at the Galician Routes Committee yesterday http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santi...yanair/idEdicion-2010-10-27/idNoticia-604454/

Ryanair seem to be throwing their toys out everywhere at the moment, Marseille, Frankfurt Hahn, Santiago - something official goes against them (ie paying French taxes, German departure tax, lack of Galician "marketing" support) and they pull out/cut back.

And look at the list of flights they have cancelled tomorrow due to the strike in France.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/101015-CXL_LIST-28-OCT-GB

According to Le Figaro, the French authorities have recommended/requested airlines cancel 50% of flights to Orly (Paris' second airport), and 30% elsewhere. Ryanair seem to have have cancelled all flights to/from France, plus lots of other flights that overfly France (eg from Germany to Spain), and others like Alicante to Dublin, Barcelona(Girona!) to Rome and Faro (Portugal) to Derry (Northern Ireland) that just go somewhere near France! Yet have Lufthansa cancelled flights from Germany to Spain that overfly France? - No, ALL 28 flights to Madrid and Barcelona from Frankfurt, Munich and Dusseldorf are listed as "on schedule" tomorrow.

The difference in approach doesn't half make you think - but then so does the difference in price!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
elcorreogallego.es reports: All in favor to continue in Lavacolla Ryanair

It seemed almost a mission impossible, but the happy end of Ryanair soap opera could be written sooner rather than later. Both public authorities and private companies know that they have understood and it appears that this approach could result in short positions.
With Lavacolla's macro-terminal about to be released, there is no other way to approach, and this route does not provide any purpose other than the continuation of the strong Irish airline in Compostela, especially since Ryanair only want to operate from the capital of Galicia, and even has plans to set up a permanent basis if they have grants that they have requested.
The potential of an airport with a capacity of four million passengers a year has never ceased to be relevant to a company that, in just five years, has been able to take the crown of heaven Galicia. Finally materialize a compact, low cost to put back on the map to a community that in the last week has lost four of their international connections, which had been operating Vueling to Amsterdam (from Alvedro), Brussels (Vigo), Zurich Paris (both from Compostela). A common and cuts the winter season, from January 11 will be joined by the announced cuts in Lavacolla Ryanair: London, Rome and Frankfurt.
Now is the time to choose a mediator with high diplomatic skills to Dublin to discuss the terms of a cooperation agreement beneficial to all and to prevent the neighboring airport of Oporto continue eating much of the cake thanks to its strong Galician commitment to low cost flights connecting with the main European capitals.

Conciliatory air low cost carriers should not be limited solely to Lavacolla. Therefore, it is a fact that must have a market for everyone. In order to avoid local struggle, if Santiago is left with Ryanair, and Alvedro Peinador should have their corresponding compensation. One line of research that certainly is very close to the premise that the government defends Feijóo to Santiago, Vigo and A Coruña bury the hatchet: bet on a single airport with three terminals Galician spread across different cities.

Regardless of what may happen in the near future, the committee will meet again routes on Thursday to continue discussion on the future of the heavens Galicia. Raxoi representative, the mayor Carlos Nieves, defend to remain at least the same number of flights to the Galician capital managed to score this year.

i have just been checking Ryanair and it is possible to book flights from Stansted to Santiago after 11th Jan 2011 so hopefully they are not pulling out of this route. Although it looks as if they will only operate on Tues and Thurs and we have a flight booked for a Saturday in March so have no more info on this yet.
Liz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ryanair are still in negotiations...nothing has been decided yet.. from what I have read in the papers, it looks like things will continue as they were this year... but let's wait for confirmation. :)

Greetings from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

:D I really hope so, so I can go along with some of my plans;) which are constantly changing during where to go from next year, and so on..;)

also want to thank you for the update!

madrid12 said:
i have just been checking Ryanair and it is possible to book flights from Stansted to Santiago after 11th Jan 2011 so hopefully they are not pulling out of this route. Although it looks as if they will only operate on Tues and Thurs and we have a flight booked for a Saturday in March so have no more info on this yet.
Liz

Looks like last flight listed is Thursday March 24th. I hope Ryanair continue to serve Santiago although I've never had a direct flight there from home.
The Spanish internal flight routes by Ryanair are useful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ivar said:
..this has not been decided yet. Ryanair know that the Xunta will have a meeting in a few days making a decision on this topic. So they decided to have a press conference yesterday saying "If you do not give us more money.....".
don't think the Xunta have ever given Ryanair money, have they? What is talked about is for the Xunta to spend money on promoting the flights to Santiago - seems to me to be in the Xunta's interest as well, as the low-cost airlines must represent a major boost for Galician tourism (even tho they're under severe budget constraints at the moment).

Even if the flights do cease, that's not necessarily the end of the story. Ryanair pulled out of Valencia a couple of years ago with much huffing and puffing, but have recently reopened a base there - presumably because their conditions have now been met. Also, if they do pull out, that opens the way for others to fill the gap - assuming there is a gap. Vueling in particular could presumably easily expand their current offering to/from London.

Something is happening behind the scenes. Overnight, the Vueling Paris - Santiago and London - A Coruna flights in spring next year have vanished from their online booking engine. I'm hoping that it all shakes out in a good way.

Fiona

fiona said:
Something is happening behind the scenes. Overnight, the Vueling Paris - Santiago and London - A Coruna flights in spring next year have vanished from their online booking engine
they're actually still there, just under generic airports called 'London', 'Paris', and 'Galicia'

meanwhile, the politicians in Galicia are squabbling away as usual
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/ ... ia-611863/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last week I booked a flight with Ryanair, Santiago to London return, for January, today they have cancelled it. The route ceases to exist from 11th January 2011. :(

Looks like it is official then, I have recieved my email saying the flights have been cancelled and do I want a refund or tranfer to Porto. We will need a rethink on our plans now.
Liz

I think that this is actually part of the negotiation tactics from Ryanair's side...

there was a meeting yesterday, with politicians from Vigo, Santiago and Coruña where they tried to agree on "What city gets what route". Everyone wants "all" routes to their city, and they could not agree on anything...

... this means that it is now the Xunta that will negotiate directly with each airline. The outcome of these negotiations that will decide what routes we will have next year. Since these negotiations have not yet started, it is too early to say what the outcome will be.

My gut feeling is that we will have similar destinations as last year... the question is, what route will Ryanair fly and what route will Vueling fly...

Greetings from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was under the impression that Ryanair didn't have flights from Santiago during the winter months?

sillydoll said:
I was under the impression that Ryanair didn't have flights from Santiago during the winter months?
I am not sure... but I thought they had flights last winter, just reduced departures per week.... but not sure.. :?

Ryanair have had reduced winter flights from London Stansted to SDC for the last couple of years, usually operating 2 or 3 times a week with very good departure times, the days have varied but often Tues, Thurs or Sat. They have been ideal for my Camino Ingles week.
Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ivar said:
I think that this is actually part of the negotiation tactics from Ryanair's side...

My gut feeling is that we will have similar destinations as last year
yes, that's how I read it too. Not over till the fat lady (in this case, the Xunta) sings. Ryanair's business model depends on flying to less-used, i.e. cheaper, airports, and having those flights subsidised in some way to make them viable. I can imagine they are rather an annoying company to deal with, but the bottom line is that Galicia can't afford to let them go elsewhere.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back