• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

S-Cargo © Camino Trailer Tester Wanted

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
I hope this post doesn't contravene forum rules - am not selling but looking for a volunteer/s - thanks.

Hi all - well, have finished my prototype Mk4 trailer, the S-Cargo © . Have tested it here with 25 kilos with no problem.

It isn't that pretty as I modified it a few times as I built and tested it, so is a tester, not a smart 'unused' trailer!

What I think I need now is for someone to take it on Camino for a few weeks, preferably the Frances, to really test it over time, and give me feedback on their return. A true Camino test run. Full messaging/WhatsApp support from me if any problems do arise.

Edit: Or someone doing a long trek in England - Pennine Way, Hadrian's Wall, South-West coastal path, etc.

I am looking for perhaps a singleton or a couple who, for whatever reason cannot (or don't want to) carry full packs - it will carry two packs.

Or someone taking a tent and all that extra equipment - someone whose Camino would be improved by not carrying their pack on their back .... so am not looking for a lightweight pilgrim as they don't need a trailer and I would like some weight on it in use (you could add a case of Rioja???).

It has to be someone from the UK, to make it easy and cheap to deliver - now, I do realise that pilgrims from UK to Spain this year may be low in numbers, what with the plague, but thought I would ask now, just in case someone is going.

Will arrive with full photo instructions - takes just two minutes to put it together, and only two nuts to do up (spanners included).

It packs flat and goes into a zipped nylon bag - packed it measures 62 x 42 x 15 cms.

Photos below (had my medium pack on there but loaded it to 15 and to 25 kilos - books and bricks) - angle (tilt) of trailer is adjusted by lengthening or shortening the drawbars - which are a simple spring-clip lock, and by adjusting the length of the webbing hip belt straps. One wants to have it adjusted so that there is just a little weight on the hipbelt, too high and it will pivot and be uncomfortable, too low and there would be too much weight on the hips. Width at hips can be easily altered too.
Has three strong quick adjust webbing straps with quick release buckles, a grab handle, and bolted on D rings all round for attaching extras. Has a pull out kick stand, good wheel to ground clearance, fold out bottom platform.

If encountering something like a staircase or boulder climb one simply turns the pack round, lashes it tight, puts it on and walks on, trailer attached. The width is such that wherever your shoulders can go the S-Cargo © can follow.

Is there a willing guinea pig ?? :oops: There is a 'downside' - pilgrims will talk to you about it, will want to try it, will take photos - you make lots of new friends ;) - an upside is that if you meet a damaged pilgrim you can lash their pack onto the trailer and walk them to the next refugio.

Here some photos (with my old pal Dave posing! - we had just come back from a long walk along the Thames path - and yes, were pleasantly questioned and had a photo taken by picnickers!)

s 1.jpg

s 2.jpg

s 3.jpg

s 4.jpg

So what do you think? Message me if interested - thanks!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That looks very good, or as we say as the highest form of compliment: not bad at all

😇

Makes sense to have a British guinea pig, since brexit, we count delivery times from the UK to the EU in weeks, not days.
Good luck to the lucky one(s) and buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hope someone steps up!
This looks pretty amazing. Simple and functional. How is it on downhills, @David? Thinking of two in particular, after Alto de Perdon and Acebo.
I think I’d put the pack on and push the empty trailer for stability

Actually, David, it looks fantastic. Love the croc shoes, by the way, on the model! I know the system works, from having watched a fellow pilgrim use just such a contraption on the Portugues. You could think of doing the Inglés, yourself and the pal. It is short enough, but has sufficient uppy downy bits, and then you could throw in the few days to the end of the world after that. Anyway, congrats on the design and construction, and applause for your generous offer to whoever ends up being the guinea pig(s), either over yonder or maybe even on the Salt Path...

Hope someone steps up!
This looks pretty amazing. Simple and functional. How is it on downhills, @David? Thinking of two in particular, after Alto de Perdon and Acebo.

Thanks - ah, downhills are interesting and sort of the opposite of what you would expect. The fear is that it will push one onwards out of control - but that is only imagination fear.
What actually happens is that one feels safe. Gently holding on to the drawbars and leaning back it has an almost armchair feel to it and one feels very steady.
One has to go slow of course, but that is the case for everyone going down a slope. It is much more stable than trying to do the same unbalanced by a large rucksack.

I have walked down from Alto de Perdon with my last trailer and it was lovely.

It seems counter-intuitive but one is always much more stable flexibly hitched to a trailer than a person wearing a large and heavy rucksack - think Kangaroos ;) .

@kirkie - re the crocs - Dave has done two Caminos, the Frances and the Plata - he wore crocs for the whole of the Plata - he walks in a relaxed manner, the old hippy :D.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations on the design of the S-Cargo David - the packability of it especially will make it so easy to transport on trains, buses, planes etc. prior to and post camino.
‘Love the colour - Camino blue!
Good luck to your volunteer/s - a happy camino is assured as they walk effortlessly and without the weight of a backpack on their back.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I have, during lockdown, acquired the everyday blessing of painful arthritis across the top of both feet. In hoping to help continue walking it is my intension to try lessening the weight carried.
The idea of a trailer of some description is gaining positive traction.
I would like to offer my congratulations on your uncomplicated straightforward design.
It really grabbed my attention at first viewing.
May I put in a vote for solid rubber tires if possible?
Kind regards and GREAT WORK!
Gerard

Many thanks Gerard - I should have mentioned! They are solid foam-filled non-pneumatic tyres! They have a similar bounce and grip to pneumatic tyres. (for some unknown reason the wheel manufacturer added dummy valves, but they are just a plastic valve shape!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks Gerard - I should have mentioned! They are solid foam-filled non-pneumatic tyres! They have a similar bounce and grip to pneumatic tyres. (for some unknown reason the wheel manufacturer added dummy valves, but they are just a plastic valve shape!).
Maybe that’s how they filled it with foam?

Hi David,

My immigrant, English, Mormon ancestors pushed/pulled similar carts across the great plains of America to reach the promised land in the mountains of Utah. From genealogical research, I know their names and marvel at what they did for their faith.

Please don't take this as an advertisement. I am not associated in any way... But, the carts are still for sale in a kit form. ;-) https://customwagonwheels.com/product/mormon-hand-carts/

prod_lrg_mormon-hand-cart-2.jpg

I see many of the same "tried and true" design factors in your cart! Congratulations!

On a personal note... now that I have heard the call of the Camino with plans for September of 2022... I wonder if any of my English or Swedish ancestors made the pilgrimage to Santiago? Hmm, my Camino research gets more interesting daily!

Any Camino genealogists out there that can give a pilgrim a hand?

Cheers David!

Fantastic Design. Love it!

~Lance

I just LOVE the Mormon cart - a few design things.
The front crossing drawbar should have a locking pin in the centre and be hinged at each side, so it can be quickly opened and closed rather than having to clamber 'into' the cart to pull it.
If the drawbar cross bar was replaced with a pole it would be kinder to the hands - or at least spoke-shave the edges.
If short steel spikes were fitted to the undersides at the front of each drawbar they would act as brake/fixing points if let go of on a slope.
If a few holes were drilled into the cart base it would help drain water away.
There should be an option for adding pole brackets to the sides so that hooped poles can be run over it and a canvas tarp pulled over and tied down.
The bed is 4.5 foot long, if they sold a kit version that was 6.5 foot long and added fold down locking legs under the drawbars it could also be used to sleep in!!

I rarely want an artefact so much! - I love it!! hmmmm, a timber cart trailer?? ... thinks .. I wonder if I could scale this down for a Camino trailer 🤔🤔🤔

p.s. Lance, what is your surname? We have Ancestry.com

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope this post doesn't contravene forum rules - am not selling but looking for a volunteer/s - thanks.

Hi all - well, have finished my prototype Mk4 trailer, the S-Cargo © . Have tested it here with 25 kilos with no problem.

It isn't that pretty as I modified it a few times as I built and tested it, so is a tester, not a smart 'unused' trailer!

What I think I need now is for someone to take it on Camino for a few weeks, preferably the Frances, to really test it over time, and give me feedback on their return. A true Camino test run. Full messaging/WhatsApp support from me if any problems do arise.

Edit: Or someone doing a long trek in England - Pennine Way, Hadrian's Wall, South-West coastal path, etc.

I am looking for perhaps a singleton or a couple who, for whatever reason cannot (or don't want to) carry full packs - it will carry two packs.

Or someone taking a tent and all that extra equipment - someone whose Camino would be improved by not carrying their pack on their back .... so am not looking for a lightweight pilgrim as they don't need a trailer and I would like some weight on it in use (you could add a case of Rioja???).

It has to be someone from the UK, to make it easy and cheap to deliver - now, I do realise that pilgrims from UK to Spain this year may be low in numbers, what with the plague, but thought I would ask now, just in case someone is going.

Will arrive with full photo instructions - takes just two minutes to put it together, and only two nuts to do up (spanners included).

It packs flat and goes into a zipped nylon bag - packed it measures 62 x 42 x 15 cms.

Photos below (had my medium pack on there but loaded it to 15 and to 25 kilos - books and bricks) - angle (tilt) of trailer is adjusted by lengthening or shortening the drawbars - which are a simple spring-clip lock, and by adjusting the length of the webbing hip belt straps. One wants to have it adjusted so that there is just a little weight on the hipbelt, too high and it will pivot and be uncomfortable, too low and there would be too much weight on the hips. Width at hips can be easily altered too.
Has three strong quick adjust webbing straps with quick release buckles, a grab handle, and bolted on D rings all round for attaching extras. Has a pull out kick stand, good wheel to ground clearance, fold out bottom platform.

If encountering something like a staircase or boulder climb one simply turns the pack round, lashes it tight, puts it on and walks on, trailer attached. The width is such that wherever your shoulders can go the S-Cargo © can follow.

Is there a willing guinea pig ?? :oops: There is a 'downside' - pilgrims will talk to you about it, will want to try it, will take photos - you make lots of new friends ;) - an upside is that if you meet a damaged pilgrim you can lash their pack onto the trailer and walk them to the next refugio.

Here some photos (with my old pal Dave posing! - we had just come back from a long walk along the Thames path - and yes, were pleasantly questioned and had a photo taken by picnickers!)

View attachment 106880

View attachment 106881

View attachment 106882

View attachment 106883

So what do you think? Message me if interested - thanks!

Incredible! I am amazed by your newest invention. I think this one could be the best yet. We shall see how the test works out.

Good luck.

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back