• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

S2s tarp poncho or s2s s

DeniseT

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:) 01 Jun 2017 SJPDP
decisions decisions on ponchos
I have bought a sea to summit poncho but thinking do I need this heavy duty one, I am
Planning to multiuse it as also on top of mattresses but can the lighter tarp poncho sea to summit be good enough for this multiuse ?????
Oh the dramas of weight vs usage

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In May I would certainly opt for a lighter poncho and not a heavy duty one. Buen Camino, SY

I agree that a light weight one will be a good thought for the temperature in May however I'd be less excited about sleeping on it. It will likely be a little slippery as you are turning in the night (not a good thing if you're on the top bunk) and could be pretty loud for other sleeping around you especially if you're an early riser. Never a good way to make new friends. ;)
Have fun and Buen Camino,
Jordon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I perhaps have the same one....I know it's Sea to Summit, I know it's a tarp poncho and I know that it's light...which I was just debating last night. Weighty if I don't end up needing it, as I didn't the last time, but if it's pouring rain I'd be grateful and I plan on also having it as a backup 'blanket' as I'm only taking a sleeping bag liner, so it serves the "only things with two purposes" clause.

HOWEVER, when I was trying it on last night, I became aware that the probably eight inch gaps between the snaps down the side may end up letting a lot of water in if it is pouring, defeating the entire purpose.

Any thoughts or feedback on the sea-worthiness re the holes along the side??

I have the same (or similar) S2S poncho with the side snaps and walked through numerous downpours and heavy snow falls without any problem of water coming in. For me at least, the poncho is so 'baggy' that when it hangs there is so much material that it sort of bunches and the water flows freely to the bottom of the poncho.

Where you could have problems is what happens to the water then as it likely will run on to your lower pant leg and eventually into your boots/shoes making for cold unhappy feet. In the winter I wore rain pants under my poncho and GTX boots but in late may perhaps it's not cold enough to worry about that? Or you could wear a pair of gators if you were concerned about wet feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I perhaps have the same one....I know it's Sea to Summit, I know it's a tarp poncho and I know that it's light...which I was just debating last night. Weighty if I don't end up needing it, as I didn't the last time, but if it's pouring rain I'd be grateful and I plan on also having it as a backup 'blanket' as I'm only taking a sleeping bag liner, so it serves the "only things with two purposes" clause.

HOWEVER, when I was trying it on last night, I became aware that the probably eight inch gaps between the snaps down the side may end up letting a lot of water in if it is pouring, defeating the entire purpose.

Any thoughts or feedback on the sea-worthiness re the holes along the side??
Oh yes I do, I test drove mine recently
1. Take a silk tie was brilliant with wind and also rain issues
Don't put it on in a Gail force wind you look hilariously bad...
mine weighs approx 325 gms and green, i have decided to muse this cause I I have heard the reali light one can rip fairly easily, I also be using mine for mattress liner and think with the tossing and turning I sometimes do, and I don't do things delicately it would be a safer one for me, had no problems with feeling hot in it, on a Australian summer breezy wet morning.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.