• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad death of Irish pilgrim after completing the Oviedo route.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
An account in the Belfast Telegraph this morning reports the death of James 'Seamus' McDonagh in Santiago. I can't do a link.

"Tributes have been paid to a former teacher from west Belfast who died after completing a two week pilgrimage in Spain.
Retired James McDonagh(60)- also known as Seamus- was a keen walker.
He was taking part in his fifth Camino de Santiago when he suffered a heart attack just hours after finishing the 320km Oviedo to Santiago route..."

RIP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An account in the Belfast Telegraph this morning reports the death of James 'Seamus' McDonagh in Santiago. I can't do a link.

"Tributes have been paid to a former teacher from west Belfast who died after completing a two week pilgrimage in Spain.
He was taking part in his fifth Camino de Santiago when he suffered a heart attack just hours after finishing the 320km Oviedo to Santiago route..."

RIP.

Rip. Oviedo to Santiago or Promitivo a tough walk. Slan a chara

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sad news for family , friends and Pilgrims!'
I hope he have enjoyed what he wanted to do , and he was a lover of Camino de Santiago , I'm sure he have enjoyed his different Caminos!
Rest in Peace!

James " Seamus"

A New Road...

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
and...May the light of heaven shine on your grave.

RIP Seamus

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Condolences to his family and friends. I remind myself, and those others of us who walk the caminos while past our sixtieth year, to pay attention to how we feel and not leave ourselves "just absolutely done out" as his son said he was at the end of this recent camino. This is not to suggest that he was in any way responsible for his health crisis. But do take care of yourselves, dear friends. I should hate to lose any of you through lack of self care.

RIP.
Sad news sorry to hear that.

RIP.
Sorry to hear this sad news.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Will burn a candle in church this Sunday.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Such sad news. Seamus stayed here in Grado a couple of days before I took over as hospitalero. The priest kindly included prayers for him in tonight's mass. May he rest in peace.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

RIP.
RIP James "Seamus' McDonagh....A Life well lived.

RIP.
RIP Seamus. Condolences to the family.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did not have the pleasure of having ever met Mr. McDonagh. Passing at such a relatively young age is tragic, but at least he was doing something he loved to do.
I think what is more tragic is people that sit on the side lines of life and never challenge themselves. I know many people that have talked about walking the Camino, but for various reasons are unlikely to ever do it.
Camino's can be tough and every tribute I see along trails for those that have passed do give you pause.
But my wife and I now in our late 50's are going back for our forth Camino in a row next year year to do the Portuguese route.
Honestly, if this would be the way I leave this earth, there could be so many worse ways.
Having had relatives in nursing homes and having watched their awful decline, dying with my boots on does not seem so bad.

I did not have the pleasure of having ever met Mr. McDonagh. Passing at such a relatively young age is tragic, but at least he was doing something he loved to do.
I think what is more tragic is people that sit on the side lines of life and never challenge themselves. I know many people that have talked about walking the Camino, but for various reasons are unlikely to ever do it.
Camino's can be tough and every tribute I see along trails for those that have passed do give you pause.
But my wife and I now in our late 50's are going back for our forth Camino in a row next year year to do the Portuguese route.
Honestly, if this would be the way I leave this earth, there could be so many worse ways.
Having had relatives in nursing homes and having watched their awful decline, dying with my boots on does not seem so bad.
ZREXER, a beautiful and thoughtful post, one to ponder indeed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

RIP.
So sad to hear this, as an Irishman of the same vintage as Seamus who walked the Primitavo camimo last September I know the joy of the journey and the satisfaction and happiness of reaching Santiago. I'm sure Seamus has that too.
Condolences to his family, taking to young.

What a fantastic tribute.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
RIP

"Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one." - Vladimir Nabokov

RIP.
Buen Camino Pellegrino R.I.P

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back