• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad Hill Cemetery

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I've just been watching a fascinating documentary on Netflix about the volunteer rehabilitation of this rather iconic film location, the final scene of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". I'm curious to know if anyone has visited this place, which is only about 5km from Santo Domingo de Silos.
Aside: one of the contributors was Sir Christopher Frayling, biographer of Sergio Leone. I Wikied(?) him, and his heraldic motto - (you are entitled to a coat-of-arms as a British Knight of the Realm) - is "PERGE SCELUS. MIHI DIEM PERFICIAS", which can be translated as "Proceed scoundrel. Let my day be rendered perfect".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have. In fact I spent the night there with my son during our summer road trip. We woke up surrounded by cows, as this has always been their territory.

It’s rather amazing to see in person, and if you talk to enough people in the nearest towns (and they are of a certain age) they may well tell you a story about what it was like having Clint around.

I don’t remember seeing any water supply nearby, and there certainly wasn’t any cell phone coverage, so if you go be prepared. That said, it does get visitors throughout the day.

There is also a Sad Hill Beer, sold in and around Santo Domingo.

I have. In fact I spent the night there with my son during our summer road trip. We woke up surrounded by cows, as this has always been their territory.

It’s rather amazing to see in person, and if you talk to enough people in the nearest towns (and they are of a certain age) they may well tell you a story about what it was like having Clint around.

I don’t remember seeing any water supply nearby, and there certainly wasn’t any cell phone coverage, so if you go be prepared. That said, it does get visitors throughout the day.

Photo? It's interesting that in the doco the word "pilgrimage" was used in the context of visitors to the site!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many years ago after I fininished my camino my husband and I drove down to visit Santo Domingo de Silos and stopped at Sad Hill for a while. The landscape was gorgeous.

For more on this forum re Sad Hill Cemetery see this earlier thread Blondie, Angel Eyes And Tuco.

Many years ago after I fininished my camino my husband and I drove down to visit Santo Domingo de Silos and stopped at Sad Hill for a while. The landscape was gorgeous.

For more on this forum re Sad Hill Cemetery see this earlier thread Blondie, Angel Eyes And Tuco.
Thanks for this pointer. I had forgotten the thread existed, and that I participated! But then you'd have to be an aficianado to find it with that thread title.

Better. Use Google Maps with satellite view and street view and zoom in. Street View views are not available but there are many dots that show 360⁰ photos if you click them. Zoom in and out to see pins marking points of interest within the site. Also see the photos in the description sub-window by scrolling it up.

Sad Hill Cemetery

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked past the cemetery in October 2019, on the way between Santo Domingo de Silos and the visigothic church at Quintanilla de las Viñas. It's lovely landscape, but I've never seen the film so the actual site didn't mean that much to me. And the steel silhouette sculpture of Clint Eastwood was so bad I didn't take a picture of it.

DSC_0880.JPG

We visited it in September. Met three guys from Newcastle who had flown into Burgos for no other reason than to visit sad hill cemetery!
Was a very interesting place and I enjoyed watching the documentary on our return. We then rewatched the film, it’s definitely stood the test of time.

I stumbled across it by accident in 2016.
Never having seen the film nor being an afficionado of spaghetti westerns, I just chuckled and walked past without even a photo.
But as @alansykes says, the landscape is very nice in them thar hills! Above the BHC site (not visible in the pics) on the top of the ridge between there and Santo Domingo de Silos:
IMG_1308.JPGIMG_1309.JPG
Funny. Are the monks imitating their bretheren in Belgium?

"Proceed scoundrel. Let my day be rendered perfect".
Fits what I did. Wandering past unintentionally, on the wrong path without a working off-line map. 😇 The SHC ghosts were probably laughing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For anyone walking the Lana, a detour seems easy. I hope to go from Santo Domingo de Silos to visit the monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza, and the tracks coincidentally go past the Sad Hill cemetery.

If you wanted to see Sad Hill and then visit the monastery (about 20 km), continuing on to Covarrubias to sleep (and to get you back on the Lana) adds another 6 or 7.

Fits what I did. Wandering past unintentionally, on the wrong path without a working off-line map. 😇 The SHC ghosts were probably laughing.
Ah, yes, but is it possible that you might also have not seen "Dirty Harry"? Clint Eastwood's iconic line is "Go ahead, punk! Make my day! ("Perge scelus. Mihi diem perficias"). Sorry, maybe I'm flogging a dead horse.😞

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back