Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Sad news; the passing of David M Gitlitz

Kanga

Staff member
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Many of us will be forever grateful for the scholarship of Professor Gitlitz and his co-author, Linda Davidson, for giving us the most treasured of all gifts - The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook. For anyone wanting to know the history, the culture, the treasures, the legends and practices, for anyone wanting to stand in front of an ornate doorway or retablo and know what it means, this is the ultimate guide. I have the hard copy at home, too big to carry, but I now always have it with me on the Camino Francés, downloaded onto my smartphone.

This news of Professor Gitlitz's death was posted today in La Voz de Galicia. Use Google translate or open in Chrome.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Many of us will be forever grateful for the scholarship of Professor Gitlitz and his co-author, Linda Davidson, for giving us the most treasured of all gifts - The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook. For anyone wanting to know the history, the culture, the treasures, the legends and practices, for anyone wanting to stand in front of an ornate doorway or retablo and know what it means, this is the ultimate guide. I have the hard copy at home, too big to carry, but I now always have it with me on the Camino Francés, downloaded onto my smartphone.

This news of Professor Gitlitz's death was posted today in La Voz de Galicia. Use Google translate or open in Chrome.
I wasn't aware of this book. I have just ordered it. Looking very much forward to reading it. Thanks a lot for this, @Kanga !

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
Sahagun to O’Cebreiro (March 2020)
I purchased his book after my first Camino. It made my later walks much richer experiences and resulted in my changing from tourist to pilgrim. He was a true friend of the Camino.

frm

Sad news. The book by Davidson and Gitlitz shades in my Camino Frances experiences, both before and after. They managed to be scholarly but not stuffy, and it is a resource I return to often.
If you haven’t seen it, get yourself a copy, and walk the Frances again with a depth and color you may not be able to find anywhere else, and from actual pilgrims.
Buen Camino, and thanks.

Paul

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Sad news. The book by Davidson and Gitlitz shades in my Camino Frances experiences, both before and after. They managed to be scholarly but not stuffy, and it is a resource I return to often.
If you haven’t seen it, get yourself a copy, and walk the Frances again with a depth and color you may not be able to find anywhere else, and from actual pilgrims.
Buen Camino, and thanks.

Paul
Ordered today, and I am sure that my next Camino will be (much) more interesting/educating. I shall have the book in my backpack.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?

I read his book and I really enjoyed it. Personally I have tried to read a few books by pilgrims about their experiences and none ever kept my interest. But the Professor and Linda Davidson's book on the history is wonderful and so informative to read. There is something of interest for everyone and gives pilgrims a much better understanding and knowledge about the sacred paths (or at least close to the original paths) we travel. I too have it on my smartphone and read excerpts from time to time. I wish there were scholarly works about some of the other pilgrim paths. Maybe there are and I do not know them. If anyone does it would be great if you could reference them here.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Buen Camino, and thanks.

Paul
Very good description Paul.

jayree

Interestingly, there is very little other info about Prof Gitlitz covered in English, perhaps because he was living and died in Oaxaca (of COVID-19 !!!). I did find this additional info
As Longfellow once observed about great men, David Gitlitz left "footprints on the sands of time."

Last edited:

Kathar1na

To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Camino Maps
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
Sahagun to O’Cebreiro (March 2020)
Ordered today, and I am sure that my next Camino will be (much) more interesting/educating. I shall have the book in my backpack.
@alexwalker ,
The paperback is a large book. I see Amazon now has an electronic copy which may be better suited to “carrying” in one’s backpack. The paper edition, which I own, doesn’t have many graphics and is well suited for conversion to an electronic format. image.jpg

best,
Frm

Camino Francés (1974 + others)
If you are on Facebook, there are many tributes to David on his page (search David Gitlitz) that capture aspects of his life and contributions (his knowledge and publications are vast).

Holly Mitchem

Frances 2016, del Norte 2019
As an art historian, I feel that the Gitlitz/Davidson book is by far the best in terms of art and architecture along the Camino Frances. It is also great for natural history and of course general history. It was available on Kindle when we walked the Frances in 2016. We read it every night over a glass of wine so that we had an idea of what we would be seeing the next day. Thank you for posting the extensive obituary and his list of other books. As a frequent visitor to Northern New Mexico, I am interested in the regions crypto-Jewish history as well. May David's memory be a blessing to all who knew him and all who benefited from his scholarship.

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Maps
Amazing guy. Que en paz descanse. His book on the Camino has been a favorite of mine for years.

Here is an enjoyable little newsletter article posted by Indiana University, where he worked some years ago.

It describes his experiences on the Camino back in the 1970's, when he and his wife, Linda Davidson, led US students on the pilgrimage...no albergues back then. What an adventure:

Last edited:

jascreative

Frances (2011)
Le Puy & parts of Frances (2013)
Aragones & parts of Frances (2015)
Primitivo (2016)
So sad to hear about the passing of Prof. Gitlitz – His cultural handbook that he wrote with his wife Linda Davidson is an art historical treasure & has been a favorite Camino resource of mine. Not only does it describe the art, architecture, history, & landscapes, it also provides glimpses into what the Road was like before the popularity of today. When reading it I always feel as if I’m walking along with them experiencing all the wonders they were recording! Their book includes Camino Aragones as well & is an excellent art historical/cultural resource for this route. May his family find comfort knowing that his work will no doubt continue to inspire & educate walkers!

CF14
LePuy/CF(21?)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19
I wasn't aware of this book. I have just ordered it. Looking very much forward to reading it. Thanks a lot for this, @Kanga !
We were also not aware of this book, but have just ordered the kindle version and a copy of the paperback this morning. Already enjoying the kindle version!
Thank you very much Kanga for informing us about this. Unfortunately, very sad news.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Amazing guy. Que en paz descanse. His book on the Camino has been a favorite of mine for years.

Here is an enjoyable little newsletter article posted by Indiana University, where he worked some years ago.

It describes his experiences on the Camino back in the 1970's, when he and his wife, Linda Davidson, led US students on the pilgrimage...no albergues back then. What an adventure:

Thanks for sharing the article on Gitlitz/Davidson

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace 🙏💕, with many thanks and blessings from those of us who have been enriched by his research. I avidly read his book before I walked, and had it on Kindle when I was on the Camino, brushing up on the next day's history, architecture, legends and community each night or before I set out in the morning. My experience was the better for it.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.

I read his book before I walked my first Camino, and I downloaded it onto my kindle before we walked. I would read sections of it to my 13 year old son in the evenings or when we took a break. I am forever thankful for Gitlitz and Davidson's scholarship and writing.

Last edited:

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
How sad. I thank him for his efforts. his life was not in vain. I am prompted to return to my copy which I had not browsed for quite some time.

sfdithomas

Buen Camino David y Linda! I just began re-reading the book a couple of days ago, it is a wonderful treasure! One of the links says that Linda passed several years ago as well.

Last edited:

RicardoCostaMesa

Future(20??)

So sorry to hear... just now bought the book.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
So sorry to hear of his passing. May his memory be a blessing.

I, too, have the hard copy edition that I keep on my shelf and refer to regularly as well as the Kindle edition that I took with me on my last Camino Frances. Every time I consider or walk a different Camino, I think of the contribution this guide book provides, noting the lack of something similar for the other routes.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I think of the contribution this guide book provides, noting the lack of something similar for the other routes.
For those who are planning to walk the Aragones, his book begins at Somport and the first section (pp. 1-54) follows the Aragones from Somport to Puenta la Reina, before turning to the Napoleon route and following the Frances from there. It was my inspiration for walking the Aragones and is well worth reading by anyone contemplating walking that route.

Gene_781

Camino francés, Camino portugués (Tui), Pilgrims Welcome Office, hospitalero 8 times
A further memorial is to be found on the American Pilgrims website at:
https://americanpilgrims.org/david-gitlitz-1942-2020/

In addition to “The Cultural Guide to the Camino“ David co-authored with his wife Linda the two-volume set “Pilgrimage: From the Ganges to Graceland“. In addition he was a world renowned scholar in the field of Judeo-Spanish studies.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
For those who are planning to walk the Aragones, his book begins at Somport and the first section (pp. 1-54) follows the Aragones from Somport to Puenta la Reina, before turning to the Napoleon route and following the Frances from there. It was my inspiration for walking the Aragones and is well worth reading by anyone contemplating walking that route.
The idea that SJPP to Puenta la Reina is Camino Frances and Somport to Puenta la Reina is not is a relatively recent one and still not universally adopted. I notice that the map of many caminos I bought recently from Ivar (produced by the Centro Nacional de Informacíon Geográfica) labels both the SJPP and the Somport routes as Camino Frances rather than referring to the latter as the Aragones. On the other hand, my 1989 map from the Instituto Geográfico Nacional, while it does label the Somport - Puente la Reina route as the Camino Aragones, it also labels the route through Roncesvalles as the Camino Navarro, and only starts calling it the Camino Frances after the Camino Navarro and the Camino Aragones have joined.

Personally, I tend to follow the usage that the more modern map does, and use Camino Frances more broadly, in my case from Somport or Ostabat in France to SdC.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
The idea that SJPP to Puenta la Reina is Camino Frances and Somport to Puenta la Reina is not is a relatively recent one and still not universally adopted. I notice that the map of many caminos I bought recently from Ivar (produced by the Centro Nacional de Informacíon Geográfica) labels both the SJPP and the Somport routes as Camino Frances rather than referring to the latter as the Aragones. On the other hand, my 1989 map from the Instituto Geográfico Nacional, while it does label the Somport - Puente la Reina route as the Camino Aragones, it also labels the route through Roncesvalles as the Camino Navarro, and only starts calling it the Camino Frances after the Camino Navarro and the Camino Aragones have joined.

Personally, I tend to follow the usage that the more modern map does, and use Camino Frances more broadly, in my case from Somport or Ostabat in France to SdC.
I am aware of this, and of the ongoing conversation about it. However, I wish to recommend Gitlitz's book to those who may not be aware of the content relating to the route from Somport to Puenta la Reina.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

SusanH

Walked 2014

This is an amazing book. It has taught me so much about the history! ❤️

jascreative

Frances (2011)
Le Puy & parts of Frances (2013)
Aragones & parts of Frances (2015)
Primitivo (2016)

Hi David, I wasn’t familiar that there was a discussion about whether the Aragones is part of the Frances (or not) – Just wanted to mention that Gitlitz’ handbook outlines the historical importance of this trail from Somport to Puente la Reina – Pilgrims from France (and elsewhere) mostly used this path on their way to Santiago up until the 12th c. – Apparently there were “bandits” to the north that kept them from going through the region – Once this area was made safer, pilgrims began trekking to Santiago via the route through Roncevalles that became the popular way to go. Also, the book describes the architectural importance of the Cathedral in Jaca -- it set the style for churches along the Road to Santiago –

Like Albertagirl, I was inspired to explore the Aragones from reading the cultural handbook by Gitlitz and his wife Linda Davidson – as I wrote in another post, Gitlitz’ work will continue to inspire & educate walkers, and pilgrims owe much to his research!

So, I was thumbing through Gitlitz's _Pilgrimage Road to Santiago_ and found something that I had never noticed before.

The book's final two stages are listed as Arzúa to Arca and then Arca to Santiago.

There is no mention of O Pedrouzo. At all. Not even in passing.

Anyway, I just found it to be curious....also because one is hard-pressed to pinpoint Arca's location on Google maps.

Last edited:
Create your own ad
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Upon further investigation, now I'm thinking Arca is an older, out-of-use name for O Pedrouzo (?).
It seems that is likely the case. There seem to be three names in circulation: O Pino (or El Pino), Arca (sometimes Arca do Pino), and O Pedrouzo.

Taking this in chronological order, when I look at El Camino de Santiago: Guia del Peregrino by Don Elias (the fellow who started painting the yellow arrows) and team from 1985 there is no mention of O Pedrouza. What we see is Arca, which is described as the little capital of the municipality of El Pino and is located between Burgo and San Anton (which get bigger entries in the guide book). Similarly, The Pilgrim Route to Compostela in Search of St. James: A Practical Guide for Pilgrims and Walkers in Spain from 1990 has El Pino on their maps, not Arca or O Pedrouzo, although they mention that free accommodation for pilgrims is available in "Arca (Pino district)". On the other hand, my map of the Camino de Santiago fro the Instituto Geografico Nacional from 1989 shows Pedrouzo (O Pino) and not Arca.

More recently, we see Pedrouzo much more. In Brierly's maps from 2016 he lists "PEDROUZO Arca/O Pino". Maps and guidebooks generally list O Pedrouzo (although Wise Pilgrim lists "O Pedrouzo (Arca do Pino)".

So my guess is that the regional municipality of that little bit of A Coruna is O Pino (El Pino in Castellano). The capital used to be called Arca in the 80s and before but some time around 1989 or 1990 the name Pedrouzo started being introduced and took over.

Incidentally, I notice that if you search "Arca, Spain" in Google Maps it puts the marker just south of O Pedrouzo, not to far from the Igrexa de Santa Bala de Arca.

Wikipedia mentions Arca not as a town or village but as a parish ("The parroquias (parishes) of O Pino are Arca, Budiño, Castrofeito, Cebreiro, Cerceda, Ferreiros, Gonzar, Lardeiros, Medín, Pastor, Pereira, O Pino, San Mamede and San Breixo de Ferreiros.").

Perhaps in the 80s Arca is mentioned because it was the parish that provided the albergue and since Gitlitz and Davidson were referring to ecclesiastical architecture in this small section, they referred to it by its parish name. Possibly there wasn't a sign with a place name and when they asked "where is this" people said "Arca" giving the parish name.

Nice detective work! I initially neglected to check my Everest guide (1999?) but, after doing so, I see O Pedrouzo does not appear on that stage map, just Arca.

cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola. Thanks Jill. It is indeed sad news. I used both a paperback and electronic versions of his book for my 2015 Camino. Yes he is gone but his (and Linda's) work will live on as long as the Camino endures.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have seen that the family welcomes comments from those who would like to share their memories or simply note how his life’s work affected them. I know that it’s cathartic to express sympathy on the forum but it’s usually the case that the family doesn’t come here.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
David Gitlitz co-author with his wife Linda Kay Davidson זכרונה לברכה of the fantastic book 'The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The Complete Cultural Handbook' has passed away from complications of COVID. He will live on through his book . ברוך דיין האמת יהי זכרו ברוך!
1611309527242.png

Last edited:

CWBuff

אבל: יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁ שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא. [קהל: אמן]
בְּעָלְמָא דִּי בְרָא כִרְעוּתֵהּ וְיַמְלִיךְ מַלְכוּתֵהּ בְּחַיֵּיכון וּבְיומֵיכון וּבְחַיֵּי דְכָל בֵּית יִשרָאֵל בַּעֲגָלָא וּבִזְמַן קָרִיב, וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן: [קהל: אמן]
קהל ואבל: יְהֵא שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא מְבָרַךְ לְעָלַם וּלְעָלְמֵי עָלְמַיָּא:
אבל: יִתְבָּרַךְ וְיִשְׁתַּבַּח וְיִתְפָּאַר וְיִתְרומַם וְיִתְנַשּא וְיִתְהַדָּר וְיִתְעַלֶּה וְיִתְהַלָּל שְׁמֵהּ דְּקֻדְשָׁא. בְּרִיךְ הוּא. [קהל: בריך הוא:]
לְעֵלָּא מִן כָּל בִּרְכָתָא בעשי”ת: לְעֵלָּא לְעֵלָּא מִכָּל וְשִׁירָתָא תֻּשְׁבְּחָתָא וְנֶחֱמָתָא דַּאֲמִירָן בְּעָלְמָא. וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן: [קהל: אמן]
יְהֵא שְׁלָמָא רַבָּא מִן שְׁמַיָּא וְחַיִּים עָלֵינוּ וְעַל כָּל יִשרָאֵל. וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן: [קהל:אמן]
עושה שָׁלום בעשי”ת: הַשָּׁלום בִּמְרומָיו הוּא יַעֲשה שָׁלום עָלֵינוּ וְעַל כָּל יִשרָאֵל וְאִמְרוּ אָמֵן: [קהל: אמן

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
The book is incoming any day now: I really look forward to it.

I will bring it with me on my next Camino (yes, friends, it WILL happen for us all). I know that books are extra weight, but I don't care: One of my great joys on my Caminos is sitting in the afternoons, relaxing with a glass of something after dinner, reading a handheld book (Wise Pilgrim for next day planning f.ex.). So it will be in my backpack.

Last time I walked, I brought with me an old Bible (not that I call myself religious, rather spiritual), and collected sellos inside in it. Will be a surprise for my ancestors when they go through my stuff when I have gone to my afterlife; All the places that old chap had been! :) :)

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Many, various, and continuing.
David Gitlitz's "A Drizzle of Honey" is also a really fun read, available in both print and Kindle. It's a history of the Sephardic Jews of Spain and Portugal, the food they ate, the recipes they shared among themselves and carried into exile, and the influence they had on the cuisines of the lands where they re-settled.

I communicated with David a few times, but his wife Linda Davidson, also of blessed memory, became a friend. They were scholars at the University of Rhode Island, and the list serve they maintained there was the very first Camino forum I ever encountered, back in the stone-age of camino research (the 1990s.) It may have been the very first!
I was a travel journalist and writer then. Their combined experience, accessibility and contact lists were a gold mine of information impossible to find otherwise. Some of the students they took with them on the Camino in the 1980s grew to become Camino experts themselves, and now dwell among us.

Gitlitz and Davidson were pioneers of the current Camino renaissance, but they did not stop there. They never became "camino heads," their interests took them onward into other fields of study, which can be a good lesson to many of us.

As George Greenia of William and Mary's Institute of Pilgrimage Studies says, "when we lost David, we lost our grandfather. Of all the pilgrimage researchers out there, he was the first, and the best."

My he rest of peace, and may his memory be blessed.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

pac1952

Author of "An Impossible Dream"
Camino Frances (2015); Portuguese Camino, Coastal Route (2018); Via de la Plata (2022, hopefully)
Thanks @Kanga for mentioning this. I was unaware of Prof Gitlitz's (and Ms Davidson's) work. A quick web search and a copy was winging its way to me from the other side of the world. Arrived from the UK a couple of days back. What a wonderful and well set-out resource. I had no plans to re-walk the entire Camino Frances (only bits), but maybe I'll rethink that.

natcire

Interestingly, there is very little other info about Prof Gitlitz covered in English, perhaps because he was living and died in Oaxaca (of COVID-19 !!!). I did find this additional info
As Longfellow once observed about great men, David Gitlitz left "footprints on the sands of time."
Thank you for the link paying tribute to Prof Gitlitz...

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
I received the book a few days ago. A bit small print for my old eyes, but it will be in my backpack, and I shall enjoy many afternoons sipping a glass of red and reading under the Spanish Sun.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads