• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad news

Javier

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Google Traduction.-
Diario de Navarra .-
He died of natural causes a pilgrim when cycling down the port of Ibañeta
-- The deceased, who walked the Camino de Santiago with a group of pilgrims, collapsed and was lying on the ground-One of the companions of the victim, an Englishman, advised SOS Navarra at 11.17 hours
Agency. Pamplona Friday, May 30, 2008 - 13:50 h.Un cyclist about 40 years died this morning of natural causes when descending the port of Ibañeta, address Roncesvalles, at kilometer 54 of N-135 (Pamplona-by France Valcarlos). The deceased, who walked the Camino de Santiago with a group of pilgrims, collapsed and was lying on the ground.
One of the companions of the victim, an Englishman, advised SOS Navarra at 11.17 hours, informed the Government of Navarra in a statement. The Agency Navarre emergency mobilized a doctor and a nurse from the area as well as an allocation of firefighters park Burguete.

The emergency teams tried to revive a pilgrim space of half an hour, but it did not respond to the maneuvers and finally a coroner certified his death. At the site also attended the Police Law, which took over the proceedings of the event.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The deceased was 60 year old Paul Anthony, a native of Nottingham. He was cycling with a friend, also British, and said that he was feeling unwell and got off his bike. He collapsed on the road.
His companion alerted SOS-Navarra who tried for half an hour resuscitate him but he did not responded. The Diario Navarre report states that the cause of death could be a heart attack, Because, "according to preliminary investigations the deceased had suffered an episode of this nature ten years ago."
RIP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Javier and Sil,
Thanks for posting the news. I always find it moving coming across the site where a pilgrim has died. Perhaps one comfort (eventually) for their relatives is to know that these sites are honoured by other pilgrims with flowers and a few moments of quiet or prayer as they pass by. These sites must be some of the most visited around the world by people who have some idea of what the deceased was about when they died.
Thanks again,

Brendan

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kuba - try clicking on the link. When you type in the link it doesn't display the whole URL.

More on the fellow who died last week - he was an NHS Boss - see report here:

Stoke-on-trent health workers were in shock today following the sudden death of the head of the city's NHS. Paul Warsop chairman of Stoke-on-Trent Primary Care Trust, died while on a cycling holiday in Continental Europe. As arrangements were being made to fly his body back to North Staffordshire, tributes started to pour in for the Labour party activist and former boss of a Newcastle computer firm.

http://www.thisisthesentinel.co.uk/disp ... eId=158324

Attachments

• Paul Warsop.jpg
    Paul Warsop.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 614

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.