• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sad

Lee Woodhouse

Time of past OR future Camino
September 6th 2016 I get to saint Jean, I plan on staying here 2 nights as I don't get there till late on the 6th so will set off on September 8th So if anyone is in Saint Jean at this time and wants a little wine... Give me a shout!!! ;)
Today is a very sad day for me, first I am sad that people have picked on me for wanting to carry stones from my dead friends and family. Why do people want to make a good thing in to such a bad thing.... But that is nothing, I have think skin and well that doesn't bother me so much.... All my plans are made for my Camino, but today my mother was told she had Cancer, I am an only child and looking after my father who is waiting for a new hip... So here I am, I try my best to do the right thing always and I have two parents both needing help... Only time will tell, if I can do my Camino as planned as I have no one to help me.... Only child with no children.... I feel so lost tonight.... I pray I could take the place of one of my dead friends or family... It's so wrong I know but I am so sad.... My mother is my world, She drives me so crazy but I love her so much... I just know I have to be strong and work though all of this and if I need too, do the Camino another time...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, I am so very sorry to hear this, and sorry to hear about your Mum's diagnosis. It must be so disappointing and heartbreaking for you to have been planning a Camino and to have to cancel because of such a dreadful turn of events, and to be helping your Dad all at the same time, and all by yourself. You know, when these things happen I just trust in my higher power that there is a reason behind it, and that the reason will be revealed to me at the right time. My heart goes out to you; you must be feeling stretched very thin right now. Blessings to you, and your Mum and Dad. Be there for them. Go with grace.

Stretched, yes.... I will not cancel my Camino plans, but also I will not go if things become so bad, which I guess they will... I just pray, that it's small cancer and that Easley killed... I pray, but I have to say, my faith is being tested at the moment...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, you and you words means sooooooo much... thank you xxx

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear Lee, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will pray for all of you to be strong. Your parents raised a fine son to care so much for their well being. Your dad's hip will most likely be straightforward, and I'll pray that the cancer may respond to chemo or other treatment. For now your "way" has changed directions a little, but you will make your camino in time. Be camino strong for your folks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Lee,
I am so sorry for your mother's diagnosis and for the burdens that you bear, caring for her and for your father without help. Sometimes, it all seems too much. But we go on loving and caring. You and your parents are in my prayers. It sounds like you already had many losses when your mother's illness was diagnosed. Sometimes, the burden is heavy and we feel weak. I pray that you may walk the camino at the right time, for your own healing, when you have responded to the needs of your parents and have time to care for yourself. Blessings.

I share in your sadness, Lee.
I can only imagine the shock and sorrow you must be feeling now in relation to your mum's diagnosis.
I don't have the words I need to offer you comfort at this time, but I thought at once of the prayer that @Peadarmac posted on another thread this morning and I share it here to encourage you and give you the strength and determination to continue your Camino until you can walk The Camino that you were planning and hoping for.
May God bless you and bring friends to offer you care and support.

An Irish Prayer

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer

Be the best son you can be for your parents while you have them. The Camino isn't going anywhere; it will be there whenever you are ready and have the freedom to do so.

And, carry all the stones you want; they are likely lighter than the cares of your heart. Besides, love makes such burdens light.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I trust you will have a meaningful time with both your parents even if it means you don't get to walk right when you expected....then you will have some treasured memories to carry with you when your walking time comes.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and best wishes, yes I do feel like my journey starts right here... I will do what I have always done, head up and crack on as they say up here in Northern England... Thank you, thank you all....

Those who lack the essential features..that is a spirit that is willing to see the Far Horizon
,who is there, what lies behind the sun,when it calls..will never understand the why
Or it was,an unanswered call and it burned them out.
Will question.
Carry those stones.

Your steps to Santiago have already carried you a little ways.

St.James is patient and would understand the circumstance I think and would say

With a broad smile and a hearty slap on the back!
Come to me,when you can my friend..
I followed my duty given,
So you must follow yours.

You have answered the call
That..is THE first step Sir.
Walking is mearley a function of themind deciding, the spirit willing and the Heart to carry you when all else fails.

Your a good Son.
There is no higher calling...none higher and the Angels sing on high of who you are, what you are doing and will swiftly carry the news of a Good Man here in the dirty coils.

The draws of the heart will always and forever compete with the facts of the world.

Keep you Sir
Keep you Dear THIS fire.
Keep it close and it will warm you in dark places.
It will carry you beyond sadness and into quietude.

You WILL get there
You WILL find yourself on that path you so desire..there is no other choice, no other path..no other call like this.

This is just a bump in your road
This most wondrous of paths has left its dusting on your soul
Your feet will crunch the path of Stars
You will find yourself on the River.

A Good Man
A
Good Son is a treasure beyond measure.
Keep that fire lit against the day you doubt.

Be Brave Good and Strong
With a Blessing to the once and Future Pilgrim.

All roads go somewhere
No roads go nowhere
All Roads lead to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Again thank you for such kind words, I don't really know how I feel today, I feel like it hasn't sunk in... All I can think about is well Lee, one step at a time...

Today is a very sad day for me, first I am sad that people have picked on me for wanting to carry stones from my dead friends and family. Why do people want to make a good thing in to such a bad thing.... But that is nothing, I have think skin and well that doesn't bother me so much.... All my plans are made for y Camino, but today my mother was told she had Cancer, I am an only child and looking after my father who is waiting for a new hip... So here I am, I try my best to do the right thing always and I have two parents both needing help... Only time will tell, if I can do my Camino as planned as I have no one to help me.... Only child with no children.... I feel so lost tonight.... I pray I could take the place of one of my dead friends or family... It's so wrong I know but I am so sad.... My mother is my world, She drives me so crazy but I love her so much... I just know I have to be strong and work though all of this and if I need too, do the Camino another time...
Hi Lee,
one of my fears while waiting for departure to Camino is tied to my mother and my family. She is 89 years old, relatively good health but physically weak. My wife is also ill, can not see out of one eye and physically be a little better than mothers. My brother is 100% invalid person.
We all live together in my house.
When Camino called me I sat with them and talked. We talked for about ten days, examined the situation, we all agreed, for all find a solution. And I got his blessing.
Talk to your mother. Tell her your desires and your fears. Open your heart and tell her what's on your soul.
As you feel for her, such she feels for you.
I believe that after this conversation will happen something nice.

Bota

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, Yes we have talked and always do... Tell you the truth my mother has always been such a strong woman, and still strong now. This has all come as such a shock... I guess it will sink in soon... We should find out more in the next few weeks and when we know more then I can deal with things better...

Today is a very sad day for me, first I am sad that people have picked on me for wanting to carry stones from my dead friends and family. Why do people want to make a good thing in to such a bad thing.... But that is nothing, I have think skin and well that doesn't bother me so much.... All my plans are made for y Camino, but today my mother was told she had Cancer, I am an only child and looking after my father who is waiting for a new hip... So here I am, I try my best to do the right thing always and I have two parents both needing help... Only time will tell, if I can do my Camino as planned as I have no one to help me.... Only child with no children.... I feel so lost tonight.... I pray I could take the place of one of my dead friends or family... It's so wrong I know but I am so sad.... My mother is my world, She drives me so crazy but I love her so much... I just know I have to be strong and work though all of this and if I need too, do the Camino another time...
Will be sending love and prayers......

Today is a very sad day for me, first I am sad that people have picked on me for wanting to carry stones from my dead friends and family. Why do people want to make a good thing in to such a bad thing.... But that is nothing, I have think skin and well that doesn't bother me so much.... All my plans are made for y Camino, but today my mother was told she had Cancer, I am an only child and looking after my father who is waiting for a new hip... So here I am, I try my best to do the right thing always and I have two parents both needing help... Only time will tell, if I can do my Camino as planned as I have no one to help me.... Only child with no children.... I feel so lost tonight.... I pray I could take the place of one of my dead friends or family... It's so wrong I know but I am so sad.... My mother is my world, She drives me so crazy but I love her so much... I just know I have to be strong and work though all of this and if I need too, do the Camino another

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lee my heart goes out to you also. You know what you need to do but part of you wishes otherwise! The Camino isnt going anywhere - there will be a better time.

Very true Meggsy, and thank you all for thinking about me xxx

Oh, Lee, I feel for you and your family. I too am childless and an only child since my brother died 26 years ago and understand the sense of responsibility to parents. Life throws things at us suddenly and, in the moment, we don't know if we can cope with it all. But luckily we don't need to cope with it all at once, only each moment as it comes. I pray you and your parents have the strength to cope with each moment with courage and love without trying to cope with everything which may or may not lie ahead.

As an aside, years ago a nun told me that the word blessed comes from an old French word meaning to be wounded. I don't speak French so can't verify this but in difficult times it has proven a handy reminder that the difficult times can create beauty that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise.

Blessings to you all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My support and my thought are with you and your family !
There is no much we as human can do , open your heart and I hope you would get reinforced from this difficult moments !
Buen Camino and all the best for you to go through !!

I don't understand how anyone has the right to tell you for whom rocks you can, or can not bring (size being small) to Cruz de Ferro. No one should be judging you unless they have lived in your skin. The reasons for your Camino will be your Camino alone. You place these rocks in their memory. Remember that if you are on this forum or on the Camino-"you are never alone when you are alone".
Let me also say that my mother died of cancer. It was a very painful time in my life. My heart goes out to you. May God bless you and guide you at this very sad time.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am also an only child with no children, so I understand that part of it. Fortunately my parents are in decent health at this point, but I know that won't be forever.

My husband and I attempted the Camino a couple years ago, but had to cut it short due to an emergency at home - we are going again in a couple months. It was heartbreaking to leave the Camino before we reached Santiago, but we knew that the Camino wasn't going anywhere and it would wait for us - its been there for a millennia, it's not going anywhere. Sometimes life just happens and our paths are diverted in ways we never expected.

Thank you everyone, I feel a little shock that so many of you have left me such heart warming message... Thank you all ever so much xxx

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Remember God will not give you any more then you can handle, el camino has been around for a thousand of year your parents will not, sometimes el camino starts way before you leave. Just think, your parents are so
blessed that they have you I would be very proud to have a son like you, God Bless you my Prayers goes for you and your parents, hang in there you will do fine

zzotte

I add my prayers for you, for your Mom's treatment and healing path, and for your Dad.

The Camino will be there, whether you can go in September or another time. My Mom was quite ill for 2 months before she died last summer, I had just moved to be near her. Caring for her in those last months was such a blessing! May the time you spend with her and your father be a blessing for you, as it will most certainly be for them.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, Lee.
I'm also an only child with an elderly mother and so I understand your dilemma quite well.
I stayed home last year to care for my brother until he passed away at home.
I do not regret my decision.

One day you will wake up and your mother will be gone.
She cared for you when you were young.
Now you have the honor of caring for her.

The Camino de Santiago will always be there.
Cherish the days with your mom; each moment is a blessing.
For now, THIS is your Camino.
Sending love and a big hug,
Annie

Praying for you! Holding you and your family in my heart!!!

I read your thread regarding the stones with some bewilderment at a few of the responses. Whatever happened to live and left live?

It is such tragedy when we are faced with the fact that the ones we love may be slipping away. The deteriorating health of a parent is a rare heartache. But each day can bring a smile or a moment of happiness. Those are the moments we live you.

My thoughts and prayers go to you and your loved ones.

I know what I must do and I have no problem doing it... And I am so shocked at all the kind words and support from everyone here... So much you have all teared my eyes... Thank you all ever so much from my heart, thank you....

Hi Lee
You sound very worried and unsure of the future.
I work at a hospital at a Cancer Information Centre which supports cancer sufferers and carers and families in a variety of ways. I have just done a quick search for a similar support service in the UK.
It seems macmillan.org.uk carries out at least some of these services. They have some centres in or near Durham. Maybe someone from this forum knows of other support services in the UK.
I hope that things work out ok for you and your parents and that I will see you in September.

Yes I know of them and thanks for your help, you didn't have too but I am so grateful, thank you. Yes it's a worry at the moment but until we know more I can't really do much. I have chatted to a few people and when I know more them we will see what can be done and move on. The good news is I have a date for father's new hip so that good at least yes I will keep you up to date. and maybe if I can't do the camino I may still pop down to Saint jean for a couple of days as the flight's and hotel in booked anyway...

Lee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those who lack the essential features..that is a spirit that is willing to see the Far Horizon
,who is there, what lies behind the sun,when it calls..will never understand the why
Or it was,an unanswered call and it burned them out.
Will question.
Carry those stones.

Your steps to Santiago have already carried you a little ways.

St.James is patient and would understand the circumstance I think and would say

With a broad smile and a hearty slap on the back!
Come to me,when you can my friend..
I followed my duty given,
So you must follow yours.

You have answered the call
That..is THE first step Sir.
Walking is mearley a function of themind deciding, the spirit willing and the Heart to carry you when all else fails.

Your a good Son.
There is no higher calling...none higher and the Angels sing on high of who you are, what you are doing and will swiftly carry the news of a Good Man here in the dirty coils.

The draws of the heart will always and forever compete with the facts of the world.

Keep you Sir
Keep you Dear THIS fire.
Keep it close and it will warm you in dark places.
It will carry you beyond sadness and into quietude.

You WILL get there
You WILL find yourself on that path you so desire..there is no other choice, no other path..no other call like this.

This is just a bump in your road
This most wondrous of paths has left its dusting on your soul
Your feet will crunch the path of Stars
You will find yourself on the River.

A Good Man
A
Good Son is a treasure beyond measure.
Keep that fire lit against the day you doubt.

Be Brave Good and Strong
With a Blessing to the once and Future Pilgrim.

All roads go somewhere
No roads go nowhere
All Roads lead to Santiago.
Oh my! Goosebumps!

When we walked our first Camino, my mother had been gone for a year and a half, and my dad was losing his zest for life. I carried a stone from home in honor of all that my mom had done for me me. Upon reaching Castrojeriz, after what had been the best day of our walk, I received that dreaded call that my dad had been found close to death. I feared my Camino was over, but my siblings revived him and our "Camino Family" convinced me to continue. I picked up a stone the next day to place at the cross in hopes that I would see my father again.

My second Camino, I continued my fears that he would pass before I returned, and I placed a second stone for him, asking the higher beings to keep him alive a little bit longer. The Camino answered my pleas. I was allowed a painful yet joyous last 10 days to say goodbye, and I held his hand as he left this realm.

This next Camino, I have no worries, only hundreds of miles to reflect upon my memories. We are doing the Camino Portugues, so no Cruz du Ferro, but I will carry stones and leave them appropriately to honor those I loved and lost and owe so much to.

Please enjoy the time you have with your parents. I am sorry you are an only child, as my siblings have been my cornerstone, but your journeys ahead will not be faced alone.

Buen Camino and Muchas Buenos!

P.S. Carry all the stones you need to. I also had one for my cat. Granted, his passing allowed us to go at all, but we'd had him for 19 years, and he was well loved.

Bless you... and thank you ever so much...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today is a very sad day for me, first I am sad that people have picked on me for wanting to carry stones from my dead friends and family. Why do people want to make a good thing in to such a bad thing.... But that is nothing, I have think skin and well that doesn't bother me so much.... All my plans are made for my Camino, but today my mother was told she had Cancer, I am an only child and looking after my father who is waiting for a new hip... So here I am, I try my best to do the right thing always and I have two parents both needing help... Only time will tell, if I can do my Camino as planned as I have no one to help me.... Only child with no children.... I feel so lost tonight.... I pray I could take the place of one of my dead friends or family... It's so wrong I know but I am so sad.... My mother is my world, She drives me so crazy but I love her so much... I just know I have to be strong and work though all of this and if I need too, do the Camino another time...
Lee,
Your post speaks to me this morning.
I first heard of the Camino 4 years or so ago when my then 21 y.o. son and I watched "The Way" together as I was recovering from my third surgery in 6 months. He had seen the movie and was inspired by it. Watching it together opened up dialogue that was overdue and brought us closer together. At the same time I was in the process of moving my 87 y.o. mother to live nearer me as her health was deteriorating. By the way, she and I were quite close. In the last year, I had to put my dog to sleep, negotiated a high stress job change, my mother passed (very peacefully at home on hospice) and I was her primary caregiver, sent my 21 y.o. son to Italy for a semester of study and did it with very little support of my wife. Shortly after mom passed, my brother was diagnosed with a stage 3 lung cancer and has not been able to assist with closure of mom's estate or her apartment. My wife now has a mass that we are in the midst of work up on.
This all said, I feel the angst in your situation. I am blessed with the support of good friends and colleagues who "get it".
As my son returned from Italy with a new passion for travel, he and his older brother and I are discussing the trip a year from now shortly after he graduates. Although my desire for the Camino experience started 4+ years ago, I simply wasn't ready....but surviving the experiences I have just shared have made me stronger and prepared me for a better connection when I am able to go.
Open your heart to your parents and continue to love them....and allow them to love you. Open your heart to friends and they will be there for you. And...open your heart to the God you know and all of this will come back to you in immeasurable strength to endure the challenges you face. As others have said....The Camino will be there when you are ready.
Oh....take all the stones you can....and leave the pain of loss with the stone when you lay it down. Those whom you are honoring with the stones would want that for you!! As for those who pick at you for doing so....it's their loss for not getting "it"
Peace and Love be with you!!

My prayers are for your peace in this difficult situation - and I offer the reminder that some other wise person typed on this forum: "Your Camino begins when you respond to the calling to go," so you are on your Camino even now - let the spirit of Love, strength and wisdom be your walking partner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My prayers are for your peace in this difficult situation - and I offer the reminder that some other wise person typed on this forum: "Your Camino begins when you respond to the calling to go," so you are on your Camino even now - let the spirit of Love, strength and wisdom be your walking partner.
Thanks man...as challenging as things are....could NOT do it without taking the risk of allowing others inside "the wall".
I too am an old bike rider. Old guy who rides a bike....not riding an old bike. :)
My boys and are looking at the wisdom of riding some of the camino....Your thoughts?? BTW, we are just now in the early stages of planning. I find this sight to be a good read for the questions as they pop up.
Peace brother.
J

Still I am sat here over whelmed with all the kind word, thank you everyone for understanding and telling me your own stories. I feel that yes I'm not alone and that many of use are in the same boat... Thank you.

Reaching out on this forum is already a big step on the Camino.
You are here in the company of the "Camino Family".
Kindred spirits who all had a share of life, life that is full of wanted & unwanted surprises with a most unexpected timing.
Shocking news yes, but there is still hope.
Shocking news for your father and your mother too, so your loving and caring will help them in this difficult way ahead.
Preparing for the Camino, reading (especially this forum), watching YouTube of the other people experiences will make you stronger to get through this difficult period and having a point in the future to focus on...the day will come.
And like you said, you are not alone in the boat.
Blessings to You, your Mother and Father.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't be sad Lee, be happy because you have both of your parents and the chance to give back a little of what they have given you...that is a gift !!! As Koilife said "the camino isn't going anywhere" give the best you have, smile, hug them and tell them how much they mean to you... things will work for you...live the present moment, be thanksful and ., I am sure you won't regret it.
Take it as part of your Camino.

I am the mum of an only child. I have always tried to tell her 'do whatever you feel is right for you'. Hopefully your mum will be treated and in recovery by September. Sending positive thoughts. If you want to carry a bag of bricks or 20 cabbages in memory of loved ones, it is your Camino, no one else's.

Thank you guys, I have my bag of bricks ;o) for when I'm ready to do my Camino, I have my family to help me. I had some family visit me tonight from Tamworth and they have told me they are here for me, lovely to see them and know I'm not alone xxx

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Praying for you as you care for your parents and discern your Camino timing. But I also agree with many of the posts--you are really already on your Camino.

Lee, I am praying for you and for your parents this Easter morning. Be at peace. This is a difficult trial for you to face, particularly as an only child, and much of what you are feeling right now is fear for your mother's health. Though it may be difficult for you to see right now, I'd like to encourage you not to look upon this situation as interfering with your Camino or separate from it. These trials are part of the pilgrimage you are being asked to make. These are the stones that you must carry in your heart to the foot of the Cross.

My mother died when I was making my first pilgrimage. I received the news in the albergue in San Juan de Ortega, where I had to break off my journey and return home for the funeral. It was terribly difficult, and it took me time to come to peace with it, but it wasn't the end of my dream of making the pilgrimage. I eventually returned and completed my pilgrimage to St. James's tomb. You will make the journey, and you will make it with the peace of knowing that you were there to care for your parents when they needed you. God bless you, and thank you for reaching out for support on the Forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for everyone's best wishes and for all the stories from peoples hearts... I know for me it's time to think about the camino but to care for family first...Thank you all

Thanks man...as challenging as things are....could NOT do it without taking the risk of allowing others inside "the wall".
I too am an old bike rider. Old guy who rides a bike....not riding an old bike. :)
My boys and are looking at the wisdom of riding some of the camino....Your thoughts?? BTW, we are just now in the early stages of planning. I find this sight to be a good read for the questions as they pop up.
Peace brother.
J
<OOPS - looks like I got Joe and Levi mixed up with Lee, the original poster of this thread, but I trust both will see it.>

Lee, I am an old guy who rides old motorbikes, and while I have a mountain bike of the muscle-powered variety I have never had any desire to have a mechanical thing on my Camino experience for many reasons, but the most compelling for me is it would reduce the time on the way and the number of persons I get to be with along the way. I have the luxury of going after I retire and have no date to 'be' anywhere. I am starting in Morocco (because I've wanted to there since the 1960s), then traveling on land/ferry to SJPP, walking to SdC and then we shall see what else seems right.

You mention early stages of planning, that leads me to think that you don't have air tickets in hand, so factoring in that life happens, I feel that you are going to have a powerful personal experience as you do walk into Santiago and I hope that you share that with your new forum family. I have been reading this forum for some years as I plan my experience and the community members are such a real part of my Camino Experience.

Also, I see September 6th as your planned arrival in SJPP, my planned date is about Sept 1 depending on how much Morocco pulls on my heart, so there is a good chance we will meet if that date becomes a reality, and it could despite the situation you find yourself in.

How lovely, yes I have a flight booked and also a hotel in Saint Jean for 2 nights. The plan was to fly from Newcastle on the 6th at 8am, change at Southampton to Bayonne and take the train down to Saint Jean for about 9 pm ish. As yet all this stays the same, I now have a date for my father to get his new hip in around 3 weeks and mother has another scan Friday and we see a specialist on the Monday after. Where we should find out what we are dealing with. Finger's crossed it's going to be easy to deal with, good news is I have my aunties, uncles, cousin and wonderful friends.... And also now I have my new forum family, which is given me so, so much of support. I am so lot for word how people here have been so kind and helpful... It's truly amazing... Thank you all... So a good chance we may be able to meet up and have a drink :eek:)

Dear Lee, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis, I hope when the medical examination is completed the news will be hopeful. You mother and father are blessed to have a son like you.
Buen Camino

Yes me too, either way I'll deal with things... The good thing being an only child is I have no one to fight with and my grand parents made sure before they passed away I have a level head... I'm only doing what any son would do and I have my Camino family for support...Thank you

I don't know who would pick on you for carrying stones in memory of your departed loved ones, certainly not other pilgrims. At least I hope not since carrying a stone for a loved one, living or dead, is a common pilgrim tradition. Not everyone "gets" the Camino, and that's okay.

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. I hope and pray she has a speedy recovery. Also, to your father and his hip surgery. My grandfather had hip replacement surgery when he was in his late 70's and he recovered fine. The hip one thing they are very good at replacing!

As someone who had to delay their Camino, a good frame of mind to get into is that we walk when we need to, not when we want to.

For sure and yes some did saying that stones was like littering... You can read it in a thread here... It is titled "Stones from home, stones from the heart" Thank you

For sure and yes some did saying that stones was like littering... You can read it in a thread here... It is titled "Stones from home, stones from the heart" Thank you

Sad, very sad. The locals around the Cruz don't care if you leave stones. In fact, you'll see little booths set up with stones and pieces of molded clay available for a free-will donation. I wonder if the locals might actually be offended for not taking part in the tradition! Bring your rocks, and bring your seeds too. Heck, chances are they'll be eaten by birds or rodents before they get a chance to sprout anyway!

If all goes ok, don't you worry, the stones and seeds are coming.... ;o) positive thought's always.... If anyone ever asked me what I am like I would always reply that I am a sad clown with a happy face.... And now, I am strong.... No one will tell me I am anything else... I'm like the HULK you wouldn't like me when I'm angry lol good job I do keep a smile on my face....

Just a little up date for everyone, I have a date for fathers new hip. Pre op on the 18th of this month and hip replacement on the 10th may. Which is s wonderful as finger's crossed he'll have a better quality of life and maybe can help me a little. My mother, well it's good and bad.... it's a large liver cancer with specks on lungs and limf glands, but the specks could be scare tissue off something else. Good news is the word terminal wasn't used and they are going to treat it with chemotherapy therapy to shrink it. So for me this is good, she is a little low but I'm here at her side to fight this all the way.... And my family has stepped up to help and all want me to still walk the camion but my mum is my number one and she will always come first. So I think good news, I know we have hard times ahead but we can handle it...

Hey Lee, That is good news! Together my husband and I have 3 new hips. Tell Dad to follow instructions to the t , and start walking as soon as possible, a little bit at a time, and just keep at it. It'll be like camino training. It was after my hip surgery that I started walking ... and a couple of years later we got the camino idea. ENJOY your mom every day and in every little way. Buen camino!

Thank you Jayne

Stay strong my brother. You and your loved ones will be in my prayers.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker

Thank you, Yes we have talked and always do... Tell you the truth my mother has always been such a strong woman, and still strong now. This has all come as such a shock... I guess it will sink in soon... We should find out more in the next few weeks and when we know more then I can deal with things better...
Lee be strong for her , you are a good son to be so loving and caring. I had a similar situation took care of my mom till she had to be put in a home. I visited everyday and the staff could not understand why I did. Nevertheless she appreciated it and always waited for me at the elevator. So give her all your love and comfort. When I do my Camino on June 3 will keep you both in heart, mind and prayers.

Thank you ever so much, I am doing just that... And on the 4th of June while your on your camino raise a glass for my birthday ;o) have a wonderful time...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you ever so much, I am doing just that... And on the 4th of June while your on your camino raise a glass for my birthday ;o) have a wonderful time...
Will do and carry you on with me. I am starting in Lourdes France and will ask Mary to interceded for both your parents and to give you strength and hope. Ciao Hermano.

:eek:) its so nice to know that the world is filled with so many nice, kind and lovely people.... Thank you, I am still overwhelmed at how many people here have sent us there best wishes and wrote such lovely worked....

Lee, so sorry for your situation. The Camino will always be there, your Mum and Dad won't. Be strong.
@Lee Woodhouse, whilst keeping you and your family in my prayers and praying that your mother responds well to treatment, I also want to echo @Sixwheeler's comment above. Maybe the time for physically walking the Way has not yet come, but clearly you are spiritually already travelling. Take care
Suzanne :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Suzanne and yes maybe I am.... I feel like I'm on autopilot at the moment with looking after them both.... xxx

Please if you have followed this also read my thread "Not just sad.... Very sad now..." and then "Lost for words" My story is such a sad one now... Lee

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.