• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sadly I have to resign my planned october 2020 last stage.

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Yes I am very sad that I wont be able to finish my last stage from O Cebreio to ST.D.C. this year. I have had 2 flights cancelled to Santiago D.C. ,on sep 15th and sep.26. From Ireland I cannot see any other flight that will get me nearby. Malaga is the only option but it is so far from O Cebreio by bus,especially in covid times, Oh well I will look for a good walk here in Ireland.Wishing all peregrinos well x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes I am very sad that I wont be able to finish my last stage from O Cebreio to ST.D.C. this year. I have had 2 flights cancelled to Santiago D.C. ,on sep 15th and sep.26. From Ireland I cannot see any other flight that will get me nearby. Malaga is the only option but it is so far from O Cebreio by bus,especially in covid times, Oh well I will look for a good walk here in Ireland.Wishing all peregrinos well x

be of good heart my friend, the Camino will still be there.

Samarkand.

Hi Paddy! I had my 80th Birthday camino with the whole family cancelled at Easter and just now the flight from London to Granada with my daughter for the camino from Granada to Córdoba cancelled as well.

As Malingerer said, the camino will still be there, so we have started planning the same programme for next year. Have even started booking for Easter.....

Happy planning and let us know when it does happen!
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry to hear that Paddy.You might consider
Ryanair flight on 25/9 London Stansted -Santiago depart 12noon.First flight Ryanair
Dublin -Stansted.6.25 a.m.Flights not expensive.Ryanair have an earlier flight on 15/9 Stansted - Santiago 9.05 a.m but unfortunately the connecting flight from Dublin- Stansted doesn't get into Stansted until 7.50 a.m which might be too tight to make the onward connection.
I have friends who were due to go on 26 / 9
with Aer Lingus to Santiago but both flights cancelled.They will now fly from Stansted but will wait until this Monday because Ryanair due to make a statement about their
European schedules.Better to be prudent.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If you walk at home, St Finbarr Way is a gorgeous warm-up. Two days but more than two good hills!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ryanair flight on 25/9 London Stansted -Santiago depart 12noon.First flight Ryanair
Dublin -Stansted.6.25 a.m.Flights not expensive.Ryanair have an earlier flight on 15/9 Stansted - Santiago 9.05 a.m but unfortunately the connecting flight from Dublin- Stansted doesn't get into Stansted until 7.50 a.m which might be too tight to make the onward connection.
with Aer Lingus to Santiago but both flights cancelled.They will now fly from Stansted but will wait until this Monday because Ryanair due to make a statement about their
Thank you Mournes ,now you getting me all hopeful and excited again😃

Thank you Mournes ,now you getting me all hopeful and excited again😃

It’s definitely doable. I have been in Spain Portugal the last 3 months.Easy to get around and a more relaxed attitude whilst adhering To rules certainly compared to British Isles.

May timely flights rise to lift you from your Emerald Home to Spain of the Many Ways, may the hands of St James and St Patrick warmly hold both of yours at a transport centre and support you to obtain a mask-responsible ride up the winding hills to O Cebreiro, may the sun smile without excessive UV rays upon your westward facing face and your bed and board fulfill all COVID-19 guidelines all the fine and lovely roads to Santiago!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paddy, you could do worse than take up @vnwalking’s idea. I am Truly sorry for your disappointment. As we can’t predict when our walking days might be over, keep hoping and planning. You will live to walk in Spain again. Maybe. If not, you won’t care..( I have to say this is pure projection, I am hoping I won’t care!)

May timely flights rise to lift you from your Emerald Home to Spain of the Many Ways, may the hands of St James and St Patrick warmly hold both of yours at a transport centre and support you to obtain a mask-responsible ride up the winding hills to O Cebreiro, may the sun smile without excessive UV rays upon your westward facing face and your bed and board fulfill all COVID-19 guidelines all the fine and lovely roads to Santiago!
Oh thats beautiful Catheriam,you have given me hope not to give up yet!

I haven't looked for flights now, as you have already received tips on this, but what about travelling by ferry?

This kind of travelling would be very time-consuming, but if you have enough time, it certainly has its charms.

There is a ferry connection from Rosslare to Bilbao, at least during normal times. From England (Plymouth/Portsmouth to Santander and Portsmouth to Bilbao) there are also connections.

Of course, in addition to the ferry crossing there would be a relatively long journey by train and/or bus.

I don't quite get along with the websites of the shipping companies. Challenges of a foreign language🤫

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Paddy, you could do worse than take up @vnwalking’s idea. I am Truly sorry for your disappointment. As we can’t predict when our walking days might be over, keep hoping and planning. You will live to walk in Spain again. Maybe. If not, you won’t care..( I have to say this is pure projection, I am hoping I won’t care!)
Thank you,I love your projection.

Mournes I would apprieceate if you keep me updated on the Ryan air statement in case I miss it.

Mournes I would apprieceate if you keep me updated on the Ryan air statement in case I miss it.
No worries ,Paddy.I' m just up the road from you in Belfast.I checked Stansted Airport live flights today and for the last several days which revealed that Ryanair didn't cancel any Santiago flights.Fingers crossed for Monday.Stay positive.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't looked for flights now, as you have already received tips on this, but what about travelling by ferry?

This kind of travelling would be very time-consuming, but if you have enough time, it certainly has its charms.

There is a ferry connection from Rosslare to Bilbao, at least during normal times. From England (Plymouth/Portsmouth to Santander and Portsmouth to Bilbao) there are also connections.

Of course, in addition to the ferry crossing there would be a relatively long journey by train and/or bus.

I don't quite get along with the websites of the shipping companies. Challenges of a foreign language🤫
Thank you ,i will try but I dont think ferries carry foot passengers,especially long haul ones

Concerning the ferry, well as a foot passenger (it's not impossible, they just make you jump through a bunch of annoying hoops), looks like you'd have to get aggressively hands-on, possibly even just turn up there on the morning prior to departure, or maybe get to their ticket office a week in advance.

Bearing in mind that that would necessarily include having a cabin, not just sitting about for 24 hours in a passenger seat.

Probably not the best idea right now, including because of hurricane season. I would not try it in these circumstances.

Blimey travel from Ireland to Spain looks difficult nowadays ...

Only simple possibility I can see involves Eire > UK > France > Spain (train from France).

France has not actually deployed it's tit-for-tat quarantine idea for travelers from the UK.

... but then there's getting back. To avoid UK quarantine, you'd end up with the same conundrum.

This all looks terribly expensive.

Ferry and bicycle might be a way to go (you only have to cycle onto and off the boat). Bicycles are often accepted when foot passengers aren't plus it's quite good fun. Wouldn't be cheap but if you really want to go....

Edit - Flying to Porto looks the easiest option - assume crossing Portugal to Spain is still ok.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Concerning the ferry, well as a foot passenger (it's not impossible, they just make you jump through a bunch of annoying hoops), looks like you'd have to get aggressively hands-on, possibly even just turn up there on the morning prior to departure, or maybe get to their ticket office a week in advance.

Bearing in mind that that would necessarily include having a cabin, not just sitting about for 24 hours in a passenger seat.

Probably not the best idea right now, including because of hurricane season. I would not try it in these circumstances.

Blimey travel from Ireland to Spain looks difficult nowadays ...

Only simple possibility I can see involves Eire > UK > France > Spain (train from France).

France has not actually deployed it's tit-for-tat quarantine idea for travelers from the UK.

... but then there's getting back. To avoid UK quarantine, you'd end up with the same conundrum.

This all looks terribly expensive.
Hi Janna Papa
I am from Ireland I can assure you that there are flights with Ryanair from London Stansted directly to Santiago.A journey of about 2 hrs 30 minutes.A connecting flight from Belfast to London Stansted takes 1 hr 15 minutes.Aer Lingus ,the airline ,which normally flies from Dublin has decided to cancel all flights to Santiago.
We do not live in a wilderness here.Ireland is a modern country with connectivity to mainland Europe and indeed beyond.

Hi Janna Papa
I am from Ireland I can assure you that there are flights with Ryanair from London Stansted directly to Santiago.A journey of about 2 hrs 30 minutes.A connecting flight from Belfast to London Stansted takes 1 hr 15 minutes.Aer Lingus ,the airline ,which normally flies from Dublin has decided to cancel all flights to Santiago.
We do not live in a wilderness here.Ireland is a modern country with connectivity to mainland Europe and indeed beyond.
Typo Jabba Papa

Catherine , this must be the new, second verse of the famous Irish Blessing that I haven't heard yet ;)

For those unfamiliar with the Irish Blessing, here is the pre-covid original:

71yFZSteLaL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Or even better, click here to listen to a beautiful interpretation performed by the Latvian choir

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Catherine , this must be the new, second verse of the famous Irish Blessing that I haven't heard yet ;)

For those unfamiliar with the Irish Blessing, here is the pre-covid original:

71yFZSteLaL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Or even better, click here to listen to a beautiful interpretation performed by the Latvian choir
I was truly -- in every sense of the word -- "Inspired" to respond to Paddy's concerns that continuous flight delays were spelling an end to his Camino completion from O Cebreiro. Thank you for the Latvian choir insert , which I shall listen to in a moment.

I have read and heard the last line of the Irish Blessing has an ... addition. Although I do not plan either a burial plot nor a headstone (fireworks -- but that is totally off Forum topic :) ) I would have it read "She has been in heaven an hour before the devil knew she was dead!"

I am in similar boat...been postponing and postponing, finally have thrown in the towel for 2020. Hope to see you in May 2021!!!! ( Although I am not a spring walker...may be will be )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Much envy being felt for those who are able to walk locally. On the west coast of the US even going outside the house is not a viable option. We have fires galore and smoke to choke. Hope the rain will come early.

Much envy being felt for those who are able to walk locally. On the west coast of the US even going outside the house is not a viable option. We have fires galore and smoke to choke. Hope the rain will come early.
Up until last week, I've been walking 5-10 miles a day. I've been so grateful that the weather has been good for walking ever since the pandemic started. Walking has also been my primary form of socialization. I have several friends that I walk with each week, but I also love my solo walks.

Then the fires started in my area. Now Oregon has the worst air quality in the world. Today our AQI is 320. 😢

I took both these pictures from my back deck this week, one day apart. I spend a lot of time hiking the trails of this hill (the one that you can't see because of the smoke in the second picture)

ROXYann.jpg

Up until last week, I've been walking 5-10 miles a day. I've been so grateful that the weather has been good for walking ever since the pandemic started. Walking has also been my primary form of socialization. I have several friends that I walk with each week, but I also love my solo walks.

Then the fires started in my area. Now Oregon has the worst air quality in the world. Today our AQI is 320. 😢

I took both these pictures from my back deck this week, one day apart. I spend a lot of time hiking the trails of this hill (the one that you can't see because of the smoke in the second picture)

View attachment 82956
This is making the news here in Ireland,so sad to see .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was under the impression that the Portuguese border was closed to non commercial traffic?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back