• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sadness, Soreness and Joy on the Frances

Tommybhoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances in September/ October 2016
Hey all, sorry it's been a little while since my last update. As you all are well aware, there has been a heatwave all across Spain and I've been walking in 38-43 degree heat, and I've been exhausted at the end of every day. So much for planning to walk in cool September eh?!!
Physically, I'm a bit of a mess. My feet are swollen, blistered and I've now lost both pinky toenails due to swollen feet and was dehydrated and had a bit of heat exhaustion but after lots of water and a full nights sleep, I'm back on the right track .
Also, as you know, we lost a pilgrim yesterday and believe me, this is being felt all along The Way.
Mentally, I'm still right up for it and looking forward to moving forward, all the way to Santiago de Compostella, hoping to be there around 1-2 October.
So far I've covered just over 250 kilometres, passing through places such as Los Arcos, Estrella, Logrono, Torres del Rio, Santa Domingo and Granon, taking in all the splendour the Camino has to offer. I'm now in Belarado, preparing for a 28 kilometre hike to San Juan de Ortega tomorrow.
Buen Camino
Thomas

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Thomas,
I walked the VdlP in May and bemoaned the fact it was so often cold and very wet. I guess -from your report- that I could have been a lot more thankful about the weather conditions than I was at the time.
Stay safe + Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Thomas, I felt I would die this year walking in temperatures on the CP that hit 33 degrees so I have nothing but admiration for your determination to carry on to SdC despite the heat and also your foot problems. But please take care tomorrow walking to San Juan de Ortega. The climb out of Villafranca de Oca needs to be taken steadily in any temperature but especially so in heat, and after that there is a very long stretch on a wide track through the forest. So after Villafranca there are a couple of picnic/rest stops but no cafes. Make sure you have enough water and soak your hat/buff to lower your temperature. You are probably not interested but it didn't rain today here in Scotland. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a little oasis along that forest track. It's called El oasis del Camino. They're even got a Facebook page.
It seemed a Godsend to me as I'd run out of water some miles earlier. They offer soft drinks and beer on a Donativo basis. You can even get a sello there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a little oasis along that forest track. It's called El oasis del Camino. They're even got a Facebook page.
It seemed a Godsend to me as I'd run out of water some miles earlier. They offer soft drinks and beer on a Donativo basis. You can even get a sello there.

Thank you for this information @Stephen. It was April 20 15when I walked and it wasn't there then.

I suppose by their nature these Donativo places are temporary and shouldn't be depended on. We need to make sure we're carrying enough water to last us through the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Links please! I have also never seen this oasis. Thanks! Jill

A pilgrim died recently on the VdlP and Radio Camino passes the sad news on to the other ways. Buen Camino, SY
OK, I'm not a native English speaker, but "recently" doesn't mean yesterday for me. It might be so though. Thomas posted this info that I've attached today (Wednesday, Sept.7th) and he mentioned that a pilgrim died "yesterday" (that's Tuesday, Sept.6th) and that is yesterday nevertheless how much you turn it. I don't want to hijack the thread but I haven't see any notice about pilgrim died yesterday (!) that's why I asked. I did saw posts about deaths "recently" though...

Hi Thomas, I felt I would die this year walking in temperatures on the CP that hit 33 degrees so I have nothing but admiration for your determination to carry on to SdC despite the heat and also your foot problems. But please take care tomorrow walking to San Juan de Ortega. The climb out of Villafranca de Oca needs to be taken steadily in any temperature but especially so in heat, and after that there is a very long stretch on a wide track through the forest. So after Villafranca there are a couple of picnic/rest stops but no cafes. Make sure you have enough water and soak your hat/buff to lower your temperature. You are probably not interested but it didn't rain today here in Scotland. Buen Camino!
Thanks @SEB , yeah I noticed the steep ascent for tomorrow in the guidebook, and also the lack of facilities on the last stretch of this stage, so I hit the supermarket with a vengeance tonight! The weather is quoting 18-20 degrees with rain tomorrow, but with clear skies tonight I'm not taking any chances, the buff and cap will be soaked. Thanks for the excellent advice.
Burn Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey all, sorry it's been a little while since my last update. As you all are well aware, there has been a heatwave all across Spain and I've been walking in 38-43 degree heat, and I've been exhausted at the end of every day. So much for planning to walk in cool September eh?!!
Physically, I'm a bit of a mess. My feet are swollen, blistered and I've now lost both pinky toenails due to swollen feet and was dehydrated and had a bit of heat exhaustion but after lots of water and a full nights sleep, I'm back on the right track .
Also, as you know, we lost a pilgrim yesterday and believe me, this is being felt all along The Way.
Mentally, I'm still right up for it and looking forward to moving forward, all the way to Santiago de Compostella, hoping to be there around 1-2 October.
So far I've covered just over 250 kilometres, passing through places such as Los Arcos, Estrella, Logrono, Torres del Rio, Santa Domingo and Granon, taking in all the splendour the Camino has to offer. I'm now in Belarado, preparing for a 28 kilometre hike to San Juan de Ortega tomorrow.
Buen Camino
Thomas
On my 2012 camino I lost 5 toenails ,I taped them down with sticky tape till they came off . Just remember your made in Scotland from girders at least that's what I told myself when struggling ,out as early as you can to get the benefit of the cool if you feel fit enough push on to Ages or the next village ,but that's ok for me to say sitting on a couch in Glasgow . Buen Camino.

Jsalt, if you have Facebook search for: El oasis del Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jsalt, if you have Facebook search for: El oasis del Camino.

Great, thanks, I know where you mean now. There was no-one there last year when I walked by, perhaps because it had been raining. Jill

Buen Camino
Thomas
Hi Thomas, well done. You're doing better than me. I'm stuck in Logrono with infected blisters. Not sure when I'll be able to start walking again.
Buen Camino
Terri

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take it easy Thomas. That's a long section to San Juan through the Forest and a lot of it is without shade. Big wide open tracks. Take lots of water on board... There is a font just up the hill past Villafranca Montes De Orca. But then you have 10'5 kms through the forest to San Juan. I did that in about 28 degrees and it was hot...... Much of the track is not in shade but at least you can pull off for a break under the trees.

Hopefully the lower temps will make it easier for you after all that heat.

But it's a great section. Enjoy :)

If you are lucky, you might see an Umbrella on the track, meaning there are cold drinks ahead.

Here are some videos of that section. http://robscamino.com/11th-of-may-from-belorado-to-atapuerca/

You're doing great Thomas. Buen Camino mate.

Oh, and the good News? It's more like 24 kms to San Juan, not 28 :)

Last edited:
Buen Camino
Thomas
To san juan is a bit less abt 23/24. I made it to ages and surrendered to a few days of resting. Also i insisted on walking way past my blisters erupted in abt 9 spots. Locals say heatwave is unprecedented. I also surrendered boots and am currently into seeking teva terra sandals. Good luck. Maybe i see you out there in the trenches.

Thanks @SEB , yeah I noticed the steep ascent for tomorrow in the guidebook, and also the lack of facilities on the last stretch of this stage, so I hit the supermarket with a vengeance tonight! The weather is quoting 18-20 degrees with rain tomorrow, but with clear skies tonight I'm not taking any chances, the buff and cap will be soaked. Thanks for the excellent advice.
Bue
Hi Thomas, well done. You're doing better than me. I'm stuck in Logrono with infected blisters. Not sure when I'll be able to start walking again.
Buen Camino
Terri
Hey @Terri B, I'm so sorry to hear about your blisters, I hope they heal very quickly and you're very soon back on your Way.
Buen Camino
Thomas

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The weather is quoting 18-20 degrees with rain tomorrow

I would suggest to change your source for weather forecasts. And I wish you ¡Buen Camino!

I'm stuck in Logrono with infected blisters.

Take care! Best of luck with your blisters! Rest as much as you need it! Logroño isn't a bad place to get stuck. Food there is great... and that may be a good way to forget about your blisters while they heal.

Buen Camino
Thomas

Buen Camino
Terri

To san juan is a bit less abt 23/24. I made it to ages and surrendered to a few days of resting. Also i insisted on walking way past my blisters erupted in abt 9 spots. Locals say heatwave is unprecedented. I also surrendered boots and am currently into seeking teva terra sandals. Good luck. Maybe i see you out there in the trenches.

To all of you -- my heart goes out to you enduring such difficult conditions. When I was at my lowest, hobbling along, I would repeat often: poco a poco. And little by little I got there. We're all behind you with all our support. Ultreya!

Ah the power of Irn Bru

On my 2012 camino I lost 5 toenails ,I taped them down with sticky tape till they came off . Just remember your made in Scotland from girders at least that's what I told myself when struggling ,out as early as you can to get the benefit of the cool if you feel fit enough push on to Ages or the next village ,but that's ok for me to say sitting on a couch in Glasgow . Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK, I'm not a native English speaker, but "recently" doesn't mean yesterday for me. It might be so though. Thomas posted this info that I've attached today (Wednesday, Sept.7th) and he mentioned that a pilgrim died "yesterday" (that's Tuesday, Sept.6th) and that is yesterday nevertheless how much you turn it. I don't want to hijack the thread but I haven't see any notice about pilgrim died yesterday (!) that's why I asked. I did saw posts about deaths "recently" though...

Losing a pilgrim can mean anything. Did pilgrim go home or just stopped walking. Buen camino

Losing a pilgrim can mean anything. Did pilgrim go home or just stopped walking. Buen camino
No @as gallimh, a lady died. She lost her life.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back