• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safe for women alone on Via de la Plata?

BeckyYukon

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2017)
Hi there,
I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata starting in Seville at the end of March. Wondering about safety for a woman walking alone with no Spanish! What are the main safety considerations?
Appreciate your tips and help.
Becky

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't speak for the safety but I was in Spain last year for almost a month.
Didn't walk the Camino. I spent 1 week in Madrid and two weeks in Coruna. I know very little Spanish but I did learn to order wine & beer, say hello & thank you & enough to somewhat understand a menu.
( pollo is chicken. Pulpo is octopus, etc )
My experience was they appreciate us trying & meeting them halfway.
Hope this helps a little

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The end of March is the start of the early 'high season' on the VDLP, so C Clearly is right - there will definitely be people around. I walked last year at that time and had as much company - or as little - as I wanted. When you are walking on your own, other pilgrims do tend to watch out for you -- if you make yourself seem open to them (and if it seems like that kind of regard would be something you would like). Sticking to the fairly standard stages will increase the number of people in the albergues at night. Eventually you may find yourself looking for a bit more time on your own!
Walking a camino is a good exercise in getting more confidence about doing things that women are often told are too risky.
I am a teacher and I often despair at the things that my female students (who are usually around 20 years old) think they cannot do because it would be 'too dangerous' -- things like go for a walk or a run in a nature park.
I remind them that most violence against women happens in women's own homes and, in Canada and the U.S., the statistics show that more than 80% of violence against women is commited by people they know. I always try to take those statistics as a reminder not to make my life smaller than it needs to be. A camino is a great way to make life bigger.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there,
I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata starting in Seville at the end of March. Wondering about safety for a woman walking alone with no Spanish! What are the main safety considerations?
Becky
The safety concerns are the same as they would be anywhere. When I walked alone (2013) there had been robberies just outside Seville (Camas, I think), but keep your wits about you. I carried a whistle, a marking spray, and an alarm. I also had a dummy wallet with €20, old credit cards and fake passport. Really none of it was necessary! be aware in cities that there might be pickpockets. As for sexual safety I never felt threatened, but then I'm probably too old!

The VdlP is safe, provided you use common sense. One suggestion, when you walk through the industrial areas near the cities, try to walk with another pilgrim.

I've always walked alone and never had a problem, other than with a few dogs.

Melanie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love & get along great with dogs.
That being said, my biggest fear is wild dogs.
Is it OK to carry a dog spray ( Pepper Spray ) in Spain?
After I retired I worked for the US Postal service for a bit and still have several cans of dog spray but I doubt I should pack it in my luggage?

my biggest fear is wild dogs
Then you'll be glad to learn that there aren't any wild dogs on the camino. There are lazy dogs sunning on the streets, fenced/tied dogs barking (occasionally), and working dogs doing their jobs under farmers' supervision.

No wild dogs? Absolutely none? You sure? LOL
There has to be a few wild dogs in Spain?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,
Becky
Becky I have walked the Francais and Norde alone and have never been scared in fact I love walking alone. I will be starting the Via de La Plata with a friend on the 26th March. Hope to see you along the way.

No wild dogs? Absolutely none? You sure? LOL
There has to be a few wild dogs in Spain?
There used to be , when I was a little girl, in Andalucia anyway but it's a long time ago! Not any more.
I haven't seen any wild dogs on the VdlP (or anywhere else on the Camino in Spain).
Buen camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back