• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safe to drink the tap water?

AWalkabout

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011, VdlP 2015+2017, Podiensis 2019
Hi,
Will it be safe to drink the tap water or do we have to buy water?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes it's safe to drink the tap water..... but it's nicer to drink the water from the village fountain.
Especially if it says it's untreated. Not a wiff of chlorine

All across the Camino Frances I filled my bottle as I went along and loved every mouthful I drank.
Somewhere I read that Northern Spain prides itself on the quality of it's water. I'm happy to endorse
that statement

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Hola!

I would second @Introibo by all means. The other thing is that 1l of bottled water cost us 800 (!!!) times the amount of the 1l water from the tap! Who's taking the difference in their pockets???

Buying bottled water in a country like Spain (except in bigger cities where the tap water is just as good as the water from the fountain, but they add chlorine to disinfect it !) is simply stupid thing to do in my eyes. At least. A friend of mine would even say that's a "crime"!

I'm a freelance film director and I remember an experiment we were doing years ago for a documentary. We took 5 samples of bottled water in shops and 5 samples of tap water in apartments throughout the country. Guess what? National laboratory (which is otherwise "directed" by government) for chemical analysis found out that THE BEST bottled water wasn't even close to THE WORSE tap water sample. And the later were taken in cities, with chloride added!!!

Think! Decide! Act!

You can drink it without any problem. If there is no public fountain (there are all well marked), you can ask for a refill at any bar.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
KO...if tap water is free...how is it that bottled water is 800 times that...confusedo_Oo_O

We shall soon be hearing from those who are certain that they got sick from fountains in the villages. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I drank from them all and filled my bottles. Never a problem and I am prone to that type of problem.o_Oo_Oo_O

As you can see...I am very confused tonight:cool:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've drank ltrs and ltrs of the stuff over the last few week's with no problems whatsoever, a tip you may want to try.
I bought some hydration tablets from a cycle shop and used them at half strength just to add a bit of taste. You could also think of buying tetra packs of orange mixing 50% water and a SMALL pinch of salt.
Regards
George

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes It is safe!
I reload every time from Bars and very well signs drinking water fountain!
no problem for me!

The water infrastruture in Spain is the equal of the U.S. or Canada. It is the equal of the rest of Western Europe.
Spain is not a third world country in any aspect. Be very comfortable that you need only take the same precautions that you would in your own country.

We shall soon be hearing from those who are certain that they got sick from fountains in the villages. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Ha, ha! There IS a stretch across the Meseta before you get to Leon, where the pilgrims around us were dropping like flies. My sister and I drank café con leche in the mornings, ice cold beer in the afternoons, and vino tinto in the evenings, and we were fine :). OK, maybe it wasn’t the water and there was a bug going around at the time . . . :(

Ha, ha! There IS a stretch across the Meseta before you get to Leon, where the pilgrims around us were dropping like flies. My sister and I drank café con leche in the mornings, ice cold beer in the afternoons, and vino tinto in the evenings, and we were fine :). OK, maybe it wasn’t the water and there was a bug going around at the time . . . :(

It seems that anytime someone (or more) get any type of stomach problems..they immediately are sure it is the water. Never mind that hundreds of people drank the same water..including the locals and the hospitaleros in the area and did not get sick.
It is simply easier to all decide that they know exactly what caused it. Sometimes they decide that it was a bar that they had food in.
The facts never seem to match the rumors.

The facts never seem to match the rumors.

Whatever it was that was going on, a LOT of people were sick, and we were just so thankful that we stayed well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
KO...if tap water is free...how is it that bottled water is 800 times that...confusedo_Oo_O
At least over here we don't pay for the water itself but for the distribution of it and that certainly is a cost. Which is BTW, as mentioned, 800 times cheaper than bottled water if you take into account the cost of production of plastic flasks, the filling of those flasks, the transport, the cooling etc.

years and years ago as a chid in Seville I drank out of the clay water jugs.
Every Spanish worker had one then. Open mouth and let it pour in. Never touching the jug with lips.

Even the donkey train man (donkeys hauling rubbish or dirt from construction sites) had a clay water jug. Was always cool water in the jugs then.

Back in the 50s tap water was not the best in Spain.

Now days water in Spain is the best!

Hi,
I started out putting tablets into my water and after a couple of day forgot about it. If your going to get something you'll get it if you dont you wont. But a family of five ate the uncooked chicken on the third day that got real interesting. For them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is a zombie thread about 3 years old.
I wonder if the original poster managed to survive the austere Camino Frances drinking the tap and fountain water? LOL.
To anyone wondering, the water from taps and fountains (marked potable) is perfectly safe to drink. No need for treating it yourself. It's Spain, which is not an undeveloped country.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.