• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safe to Leave Your Backpack?

travelbug97

Hello All!
I was just wondering (perhaps naïvely) if it was safe to leave your backpacks on your bed in the albergues in the evening. I would of course remove all of my valuables (cash, credit card, passport, camera, etc.) and just leave the rest.
I ask because after a long day of walking, I know that I'll want to explore the cities/towns or maybe go grab a bite to eat, and it will be a nuisance to carry around my big pack for that. I'd love to hear any advice or experience that past pilgrims have had in regards to this subject!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello All!
I was just wondering (. perhaps naïvely) if it was safe to leave your backpacks on your bed .........
Obviously, if you leave your pack at the albergue in the afternoon/evening, as most pilgrims do, you keep your valuables with you at all times. However, whether or not to leave your backpack on your bed is a good question.

There are those that would say never even put your pack on your bed because your pack is invariably dirty and there is the risk of transferring bedbugs. So how does one lay claim to a bed if one should not / does not leave one's pack on it? Most pilgrims spread their sleeping bag on their bed to indicate that that bed is taken. But I ditched my sleeping bag very early on my camino and relied solely on my silk liner (a gift from my son) which I was very reluctant to leave on my bed while it was unattended. If there were blankets provided, I'd spread one on my bed, but I'm hearing now that fewer and fewer albergues are providing blankets.

We've all read the stories of pilgrims claiming a bed, then returning to the albergue later to find that their bed has been usurped by someone else. Absent a backpack, a sleeping bag, or a blanket, how does one claim a bed?

Absent a backpack, a sleeping bag, or a blanket, how does one claim a bed?
I put the dry bag in which I kept my clothes on the bed. I would also typically hang my towel to dry after my shower.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Charlesx,
I suppose I hadn't thought of leaving my backpack in terms of claiming my bed. I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding robbery. Now that you bring it up, however, it is a good question!
On my camino next summer I plan to carry a light sleeping bag, so I will be able to spread that on my bed to indicate that it is taken. For those pilgrims who do not carry a sleeping bag though, perhaps they could lay a jacket/shirt across the bed. I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer to this one.

Hi, Travelbug!

Do not even think about leaving your backpack on the bed...unless you wish a reliable dressing down from the hospitalera/o.

I have found that setting up my travel liner, and placing my cheap towel and a plastic bag holding my sandals was good enough. My pack would be right next to the bed, all cinched up tight.

Disclaimer - I have done the Way in "shoulder seasons" (Fall and Spring) so maybe I wasn't subject to as much aggression as may be possible during peak months.

Absolutely do not leave valuables out of your sight....ever.

Buen Camino,

B

Private rules abound. After a day of walking in rain, everything I had was wet, so I put just my hat on the bed. I returned later to find someone else's sleeping bag rolled out. I reclaimed the bed, but was told later by a Brazilian lady that "a hat is not enough to claim a bed." An excuse beats an apology any day, I suppose...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bagging a bed by putting your (sleeping!) bag on it has been a fine and ancient tradition in Albergues, Youth Hostels, Bothies and Bunk-houses for many is the year. Though it carries no formal authority. At Black Sail Hut one night in my teens my sleeping bag, neatly rolled, was handed to me by a grizzled Lancastrian climber, "my need is greater than yours" he informed me.

Bagging a bed by putting your (sleeping!) bag on it has been a fine and ancient tradition in Albergues, Youth Hostels, Bothies and Bunk-houses for many is the year. Though it carries no formal authority. At Black Sail Hut one night in my teens my sleeping bag, neatly rolled, was handed to me by a grizzled Lancastrian climber, "my need is greater than yours" he informed me.
Well, if he was grizzled and you were a teen, I'd be half inclined to agree with him :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trekking poles could be used to claim your space as well as the sandles in a ziplock, etc . Or are they considered too valuable to leave out unattended?

There is no sure answer. I repeatedly left mine unattended during my 17 days on the Camino and never had a problem. I also used Jacotrans a couple times and my pack was left at a local bar for me to retrieve and take to a nearby albergue. Once again-no problem.
However, my valuables were always with me in a "string" daypack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And it only costs 3 to 7 euros, depending on the section you are hiking. The closer I got to Santiago, the cheaper the cost. Competition I suppose.

I have walked on the Camino four times since 1995 and never had anyone try to steal any of my stuff from a refuge. In 2000 I was struggling in the heat and finally had to stop for a rest. The spaniard who had been trailing me for the last hour overtook me. When I arrived at the refuge all the beds were taken; crestfallen I headed for the door. The spaniard pointed to the bed above his and announced it was free. I pointed to the hat and said it is not free. He picked up the hat, dropped it on his own bed and announced that he had been saving it for me!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not the same but-I forgot to retrieve my Black Diamond trekking poles from the Jacotrans driver when I chanced to meet him when picking up my pack in O'Cebriero (this is one of the times I chose to hike up a mountain without the backpack). I put my pack back on and realized that the poles were still in the van. When I got to Albergue Reboliera in Fonfria, the host called the driver and he delivered the poles. That is typical of the kind of treatment I experienced on the Camino.

I hesitate to add this, I understand you may not choose to believe it. The following year I took my wife and daughter to Spain and we drove along the Camino. At Hospital d'Orbigo we had an evening meal. My wife said that the man at the next table was staring at me. It was the same spaniard. We leapt up and did a good deal of hugging and handshaking but, due to my poor Spanish, the conversation did not last long. How I love these special Camino moments

I think it is safe to leave your pack. But on the bed is indeed poor form. Nobody ever reclaimed my bed. I think I hung my towel and put my sleeping bag on it. Take your valuables. If anybody wants to steal my stinky socks from my pack they may. In fact, if my pack were to be stolen, I am sure that the Good Lord would provide!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One pilgrim told me that, if she wasn't quite sure about leaving her pack in a particular room, she'd attach a lightweight but study lock to the zippers. Take your valuables.. and, as for the rest, trust that the other pilgrims in your midst will look out for you and each other.

Hello All!
I was just wondering (perhaps naïvely) if it was safe to leave your backpacks on your bed in the albergues in the evening. I would of course remove all of my valuables (cash, credit card, passport, camera, etc.) and just leave the rest.
I ask because after a long day of walking, I know that I'll want to explore the cities/towns or maybe go grab a bite to eat, and it will be a nuisance to carry around my big pack for that. I'd love to hear any advice or experience that past pilgrims have had in regards to this subject!
To be honest - in my 7 day camino from malaga to cordoba i didnt meet one pilgrim! The albergues i stayed in were clean with lots of free beds and lots of hot water! My backpack and belongings were never at risk!

I left valuables in my backpack while showering but I took them with me when I left the building. I never lost anything or worried about it, except for my trekking poles (worried only) for some reason. I usually put them in a bag and brought them inside or tied them together with my wife's so that they were not accidentally taken.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I left valuables in my backpack while showering but I took them with me when I left the building. I never lost anything or worried about it, except for my trekking poles (worried only) for some reason. I usually put them in a bag and brought them inside or tied them together with my wife's so that they were not accidentally taken.
Michael that's funny you worry about your poles. I have this worry about my boots. I even painted butterflies on the toes of them so it would discourage anyone taking them. I have big feet for a female so no girl would fit them and I'm not sure if any man would love butterflies on there feet. As for the rest I lock my bag to the bed frame with a travel lock and lock the valuables inside whilst in the shower but alway take them with me when going out.

Charlesx,
I suppose I hadn't thought of leaving my backpack in terms of claiming my bed. I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding robbery. Now that you bring it up, however, it is a good question!
On my camino next summer I plan to carry a light sleeping bag, so I will be able to spread that on my bed to indicate that it is taken. For those pilgrims who do not carry a sleeping bag though, perhaps they could lay a jacket/shirt across the bed. I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer to this one.

I always leave my backpack in the albergue when I go out for e.g. dinner, never had any trouble with that. I actually never saw anyone taking their full bag for dinner at night, I think that really everyone leaves their bag. Just take valuables with you.
After arriving I usually immediately put my sleeping bag or liner on my bed too. I would say that when you put anything substantial on a bed it is a sign that it is taken. If it is not sure, people ask around. Never had a problem.

When on camino, you will see around you how things go and with what you'll feel good. Hundreds of new people start a camino every day while there are no fixed rules set beforehand. And in every new day-to-day-wave of pilgrims it goes fine, all find their way and for most people it is magic. It is just about common sense. I'm sure you will be fine too.

Last edited:
Met Australians last year who had some good sports gear stolen in the albergue. But it was thought to be an opportunistic theft by a non peregrino who wandered in off the street.
In the lovely albergue in carrion de Los condes a young boy left his phone on a stool outside the shower cubicle and it disappeared.
The Spanish pilgrims were very incensed by this theft, especially after a few dozen beers with their wonderful home cooked paella. One of the guys came in to the girls room at about 11pm turned on the lights and ranted in Spanish to the English and French speaking occupants for about 4 minutes. Great memories. Pity about the phone though.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.