• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Safe to walk again

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"If you can get there" is probably the relevant response to your question. You'll need to enquire of your own Government and Health Authorities as to local restrictions on international travel and quarantine requirements on return. And you'll need to verify the Spanish governments restrictions on international arrivals from your country of origin. Sint Maarten?

Spain is working with other EU members on a "Covid Passport" for EU citizens. I am not aware of any serious effort to agree an internationally recognized document.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What are the requirements for visitors from non-EU countries to book? I'm South African.
Are there any links available I can follow for more info?

"If you can get there" is probably the relevant response to your question. You'll need to enquire of your own Government and Health Authorities as to local restrictions on international travel and quarantine requirements on return. And you'll need to verify the Spanish governments restrictions on international arrivals from your country of origin. Sint Maarten?

Spain is working with other EU members on a "Covid Passport" for EU citizens. I am not aware of any serious effort to agree an internationally recognized document.
I have a suggestion that I hope doesn’t sound obnoxious but I think would save everyone a lot of trouble and confusion. When someone asks a direct question on travel, vaccine requirements etc. wouldn’t it be easier snd clearer if You just posted links and closed the thread. Do not know if this is ok or not as I know there are many shades of gray.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It sounds like a good and simple suggestion. There are a few here who are always trying to be helpful and flushing out shades of gray, but the gray is always changing color unfortunately and the information often seems futile to me.

Last edited:

Minor but important modification: the vaccine passport in the EU is for *residents* of the EU, not *citizens*. If/when I travel, I will be using my EU passport, but my Canadian vaccination data (in whatever form that is delivered after my 2nd dose).

I verified this information with both Spain and Ireland — (Can I enter With my EU PP even if my own country of residence remains in some form of emergency measures? Yes. — Will I need to provide my vaccination verification to the Irish PP office or some health official in Spain to obtain the vaccine PP as an EU citizen? No; only if I’ve been vaccinated in the EU as a resident therein. — What non residents need now is a negative PCR test done within X amount of time of boarding the plane — right now that’s 72 hours. And I recommend that any prospective traveller also perform a rapid test within 12 hours of departure — for your own peace of mind. These tests are being offered freely at walk-in locations by public health offices in all regions across Canada, for example).

Different countries have different entry requirements, even in the EU. Greece, for example, is not requiring a PCR test prior to arrival there. Considering that folks have different points of entry to arrive at a camino start, I recommend that they:

*consult the specific entry requirements for the country that will be the port of entry (Portugal and France are easy alternates for those who will walk in Spain.

*consult the travel restrictions for your return to your country of residence.

*buen camino*.

Minor but important modification: the vaccine passport in the EU is for *residents* of the EU, not *citizens*. If/when I travel, I will be using my EU passport, but my Canadian vaccination data (in whatever form that is delivered after my 2nd dose).

I verified this information with both Spain and Ireland — (Can I enter With my EU PP even if my own country of residence remains in some form of emergency measures? Yes. — Will I need to provide my vaccination verification to the Irish PP office or some health official in Spain to obtain the vaccine PP as an EU citizen? No; only if I’ve been vaccinated in the EU as a resident therein. — What non residents need now is a negative PCR test done within X amount of time of boarding the plane — right now that’s 72 hours. And I recommend that any prospective traveller also perform a rapid test within 12 hours of departure — for your own peace of mind. These tests are being offered freely at walk-in locations by public health offices in all regions across Canada, for example).

Different countries have different entry requirements, even in the EU. Greece, for example, is not requiring a PCR test prior to arrival there. Considering that folks have different points of entry to arrive at a camino start, I recommend that they:

*consult the specific entry requirements for the country that will be the port of entry (Portugal and France are easy alternates for those who will walk in Spain.

*consult the travel restrictions for your return to your country of residence.

*buen camino*.
Your post is right on I believe. If the links are posted to where you can find the "official" government information it would make things much easier for all and much clearer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reading other threads will reveal that pilgrims are beginning to walk. You will need to sort out your own circumstances to be able to enter Spain from wherever you are.

As you can see by exploring the official links in this post, the situation is still complicated. You need to figure it out for your specifics. If you can't do that, it is probably still too soon to go.

Interesting.... so I am very curious - if one has a given country's (or a "Union" as it may be) passport - does not one has to be a citizen of this country? Short of dual citizenship, I can get a Spanish passport even if I am not a Spanish citizen?

I have a suggestion that I hope doesn’t sound obnoxious but I think would save everyone a lot of trouble and confusion. When someone asks a direct question on travel, vaccine requirements etc. wouldn’t it be easier snd clearer if You just posted links and closed the thread. Do not know if this is ok or not as I know there are many shades of gray.
Direct question on travel? Vaccine requirements? You want it easy and clear and no discussion? Then how about checking with the government info. of each country involved. Done!
Here on this forum we come from all different countries, I or someone else may have all the info. on travelling from the UK, say, but no idea if it’s someone coming from South Africa or wherever. And usually, we have no idea even where the OP comes from 🙄

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
so I am very curious - if one has a given country's (or a "Union" as it may be) passport - does not one has to be a citizen of this country? Short of dual citizenship, I can get a Spanish passport even if I am not a Spanish citizen?
@CWBuff: In EU law, an EU citizen or a Union citizen is a "thing", It means that the person has the nationality (passport) of one (or more) of the EU countries, no matter whether they live in the EU or not.

A variety of rights are associated with being an EU citizen, the most important one is the right to move and reside freely within the EU (subject to some limitations and conditions, btw). That's why they are creating this Digital Green Certificate. The legal text is not yet finalised but it speaks indeed of EU citizens and Union citizens. There is an Article 4 that intends to regulate cases where Union citizens get vaccinated in non-EU countries. But, as I said, the text has not yet been finalised. There is some disagreement between the two co-legislators, and what we will get in the end is anyone's guess.

There's a second legal text for Digital Green Certificates for people who are not EU citizens but live in the EU.

There is no EU nationality and there are no passports issued by the EU.

It's a little complicated sometimes.

Last edited:
Direct question on travel? Vaccine requirements? You want it easy and clear and no discussion? Then how about checking with the government info. of each country involved. Done!
Here on this forum we come from all different countries, I or someone else may have all the info. on travelling from the UK, say, but no idea if it’s someone coming from South Africa or wherever. And usually, we have no idea even where the OP comes from 🙄
There are two ways to get answer to the questions regarding travel restrictions I would sssume. One is to check your own government’s website on travel from your country and the other would be to check the government websites of the countries you intend to enter. Things change l the time and I would hate to be the one to give someone misinformation. Regarding COVID there seems to be slot of that no matter how well intended we are. Or maybe o should stay out of these threads entirely😇

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back