• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safe to walk alone in early March as a female?

Sumin

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi there!

I'm planning on walking the Camino from 3 March, and will only have three weeks - maybe the Frances or the Northern route. I've tried searching for buddies who I can hook up with on the Camigas Facebook group for female pilgrims, but can't see any fellow travelers starting at that time. I've read a few blogs which mostly suggest it's safe walking as a female alone. However, other blogs have referred to lone female travelers facing harassment/safety issues whilst walking alone, which makes me a bit nervous.

My concern is that there will be few pilgrims to walk with along the way as I've read that it's fairly quiet at that time (sometimes only a couple of people staying in an albergues), and that I'll be doing many hours/stretches alone. I don't necessarily want to walk the whole way with people, but would like to know that there will be people not far away should something go wrong and to find a pilgrim "family" who will look out for me on my pilgrimage.

I'm someone who generally takes a common sense approach, and am not sure if the warnings are hyped up and overly cautious such that I should be fine going alone without a buddy, or if I should be more concerned about walking (potentially long distances) alone in early March. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
would like to know that there will be people not far away should something go wrong and to find a pilgrim "family" who will look out for me on my pilgrimage.
There was an average of 10 pilgrims per day last March on the Camino del Norte. There was over 200 per day on the Camino Frances. Spain is no more or less safe for a lone woman in March, I don't think, but help will be much closer on the Camino Frances than the Norte. There is good cellular coverage in Spain. The emergency number is 112. Buen camino.

I have walked CF alone in March. You will be fine. And, yes many albergues will be closed, but your days won't be longer than 25 kilometers more or less. A few times I was in albergue alone and had no problems. On day one, I started in SJPP and stopped at Valcarlos and was alone in albergue. A car pulled up, two men came in, saw me, asked my name, then left. I had been reported missing, since everyone who had left SJPP that morning walked on to Roncesvalles. So, trust me you will be just fine walking alone on CF. Don't let fear stop you. Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there!

I'm planning on walking the Camino from 3 March, and will only have three weeks - maybe the Frances or the Northern route. I've tried searching for buddies who I can hook up with on the Camigas Facebook group for female pilgrims, but can't see any fellow travelers starting at that time. I've read a few blogs which mostly suggest it's safe walking as a female alone. However, other blogs have referred to lone female travelers facing harassment/safety issues whilst walking alone, which makes me a bit nervous.

My concern is that there will be few pilgrims to walk with along the way as I've read that it's fairly quiet at that time (sometimes only a couple of people staying in an albergues), and that I'll be doing many hours/stretches alone. I don't necessarily want to walk the whole way with people, but would like to know that there will be people not far away should something go wrong and to find a pilgrim "family" who will look out for me on my pilgrimage.

I'm someone who generally takes a common sense approach, and am not sure if the warnings are hyped up and overly cautious such that I should be fine going alone without a buddy, or if I should be more concerned about walking (potentially long distances) alone in early March. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

you will be safe, although you may not always feel safe.

walking stretches in the middle of nowhere on your own (especially the further you are from santiago) may generate anxiety (justified, no doubt) and i would exercise the same caution you would exercise anywhere else.

there is a fantastic thread about women walking alone under Camino Francés in this forum (i think).

Buen Camino

Yes, it is safe as long as you use the same common sense you use walking around your home town/area. Compared to the places many pilgrims come from the average crime rate on the Camino is way, way lower. Buen Camino, SY

PS I am a woman and nearly always walk alone ;-)

I walked the Camino Frances alone in March 2014 and felt a wonderful sense of comradeship. I felt safe and was never completely alone.
You will need to watch which albergues are open but the information was easily sourced.
It was a wonderful time to walk!
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
walking stretches in the middle of nowhere on your own (especially the further you are from santiago) may generate anxiety (justified, no doubt) and i would exercise the same caution you would exercise anywhere else.
That is a very good observation! Yes, I have felt anxiety upon occasion on the camino, but that is appropriate for a woman who is being watchful on a minor adventure. I have felt anxiety upon occasion while walking through my local neighbourhood. Some people/woman have too much anxiety to make the overall experience a pleasant one. Other people never get worried and that might be considered complacency. They are both equally "safe" from external dangers.

There are no guarantees of safety. Anywhere. The camino is safer at all times of year than most places that you might decide to go for a walk.

A woman who takes a "common sense approach" will be fine walking alone in early March.

If, after you start walking, you feel unsafe, there will be people you can walk with. Many, many times a single woman has chosen to walk with my husband and me for a day or two, most often, first-time walkers, and they have always been welcome.

@Sumin having walked both routes I would strongly advise that you elect to go on the Camino Frances this time. Early March is still winter in northern Spain and you will find very few other pilgrims on the Norte, whereas on the Camino Frances there are sure to be others, simply because it is the most popular route.

Take care on all the mountain passes, whichever route you decide. As you only have three weeks you would probably start from Burgos or closer to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there!

You are seldom alone on Camino Francis. It's safe but be sensible. Some long stretches 12km plus through forest. Just tag along with group Buen camino

my concerns are about the weather and whether enough of the hostels/albergues will be open at that time of the year.
I walked from Leon to Santiago from about March 10 to 31, 2016. Many places were closed or just getting prepared for the huge increase in numbers later in the season. However, at no point was there any difficulty at all in finding accommodations of all types, with no need to walk long stages.

The weather is a wild card. In March 2016 there was rain but only a couple of really wet days. I have only walked in March, October and November so I'm prepared for rain but have never encountered enough to make me regret my choice of month.

So, take good rain gear but no camping equipment. March is an excellent time.

I walked from Leon to Santiago from about March 10 to 31, 2016. Many places were closed or just getting prepared for the huge increase in numbers later in the season. However, at no point was there any difficulty at all in finding accommodations of all types, with no need to walk long stages.

The weather is a wild card. In March 2016 there was rain but only a couple of really wet days. I have only walked in March, October and November so I'm prepared for rain but have never encountered enough to make me regret my choice of month.

So, take good rain gear but no camping equipment. March is an excellent time.

Thanks for your reply, very informative :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there!

I walked alone from Leon to Sarria starting around March 6th. It snowed a couple times and existing snow made it necessary to sometimes take the road instead of the trail especially by Foncebadon and O'Cebreiro. Walked mostly alone but always felt safe. Always a taxi available and stops for coffee. If no albergue there are small pensionnes open already in every village. Had absolutely no negative incidents and a few times hooked up with strangers for a meal.

I'm a woman and I also walk alone this march. I'll start in Burgos on february 24 and then walk in 3-4 weeks to SdC.
Maybe we meet.

Wow, thank you everyone for such detailed and thoughtful replies! What an amazing resource this site is. After reading your replies, I now feel more comfortable about the prospect of doing this alone, so thank you for your support.

Having worked through the solo travel thing, I'm now feeling slightly anxious about is my degree of (un)preparedness! Other people on this forum appear to have been planning ahead for months. Whilst I am relatively fit, I haven't done any training. I don't have any good shoes. I have a windbreaker which is water resistant but not waterproof jacket. No good socks etc. I also live in the tropics so I'm a bit worried about the extreme climate conditions I'm reading about - the deep mud, snow, blizzard, etc especially crossing over mountainous regions like O Cebreiro. Should I be worried?!

Also, I'm embarrassed to say that I am a TOTAL liability when it comes to following directions, and this will be the first walk/hike I've done alone. On my recent work trip to Tokyo, my husband suggested I might be better off just walking one straight line and avoiding turning any corners....! I am concerned that I'll constantly get lost, especially in the mountains if it snows and the markers get covered. I have read that the Frances route is well marked, so do you think it should be doable even for a direction dummy like me?!

Final question, is it worth buying a copy of Brierley's book?

Thank you all in advance for your responses. I really, really appreciate it.

Sumin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You have a bucket-load of important things to do in a hurry. First, get yourself some good, comfortable, walking shoes. Put them on and wear them in. Good socks are also important. For a March Camino, consider waterproof shoes or socks. Plan on buying an Altus raincoat/poncho when you get to Spain - that takes care of the waterproof and windproof gear.
Layering works best with clothes, it's amazing how hot the body can get while walking, even in cold weather, and it's important to be able to easily shed and add clothes. My preference is for fine merino because it is the best temperature regulator.
If the path is covered with snow you do need to take care with directions but mostly it is obvious and if there is any doubt (for instance climbing or coming down from the Cruz de Ferro) there is almost always a road alternative.
Yes, I think for a first Camino, in winter, it is worth buying Brierley.

I'm now feeling slightly anxious about is my degree of (un)preparedness! Other people on this forum appear to have been planning ahead for months. Whilst I am relatively fit, I haven't done any training. I don't have any good shoes. I have a windbreaker which is water resistant but not waterproof jacket. No good socks etc.
Most of us entertain ourselves for months and years, here on the forum, so that isn't an indicator of the need to prepare for so long!

Your anxiety about being unprepared is quite reasonable until you get appropriate shoes, so do that as soon as possible and start using them. A lot! Then get the other things that you need.

Also, I'm embarrassed to say that I am a TOTAL liability when it comes to following directions...

Final question, is it worth buying a copy of Brierley's book?
Only if you would like to become more competent in understanding where you are going each day! :rolleyes: If you prefer to rely on other people, you will still make it to Santiago.:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is fairly difficult to get lost on the way, follow the yellow areas. Watch out for the mud! Waterproof boots will help. And, pack your pack with everything you indeed to take, to get used to weight before you head out.
Buen camino.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies! So armed with all the supportiveness messages on this forum I've booked a flight to Madrid and intend on start in Burgos as I'll have 20 days. Seems like the first thing I need to do is buy some waterproof shoes and Brierley is also on its way!

However now my parents have got it in their heads that this will be dangerous for me as a solo traveller (I'm 33 by the way and can't believe I have to battle with them about this a trip my age!!). Perhaps as a result, and reading through pages on this forum about flashing incidents, people being followed in cars etc, I'm still somewhat anxious about safety as I've read that at this time of year I might expect to stay in an albergue alone and/or see no more than a few pilgrims a day in which case I worry whether I'll be able to find someone to trail / walk beside. How many pilgrims do you think I can expect to encounter on a daily basis on average in early march starting from Burgos? And do you think I'll always be able to find someone to walk with, together or within yelling distance? (My hope is that upon starting I'll feel more comfortable and won't need or want this but I want to make sure I have the choice if wanted). Thank you again in advance, Sumin

How many pilgrims do you think I can expect to encounter on a daily basis on average in early march
There were about 20 in the group I traveled among during March. There may be a few more now as pilgrims go earlier to avoid crowding. There should be plenty of space. We all could fit in the restaurant in Hornillos at the same time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Sumin you might take comfort from the thought that there are unlikely to be many flashers out and about in the cold winds of March - to few pilgrims to make hanging about in the bushes for half-a-day only to find themselves in an encounter with a large bloke with a short temper an attractive proposition.

I do not wish to make light of your concerns but these unpleasant incidents are still rare.

While there may not be the hordes of spring and summer there will be many pilgrims on the road: Last year some 12,000 claimed a compostella in March, 15,000 in April: you will not be alone on the road. And if you start your journey after a night spent in the Albergue Casa del Cubo close by Burgos' beautiful cathedral you will have met plenty of fellow pilgrims. "May I walk with you?" may not be the easiest question to ask a stranger but I know what a pilgrim's answer will be.

Buen, fear-free, camino

Thank you so much for your responses @falcon269 and@tincatinker. I feel much more at ease after reading these. People on this forum are so incredibly helpful! Now that I'm feeling ready for this, I'm off to busy myself with a packing list... Many thanks again :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back