Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety concern - just stopped my Primitivo

marc3l

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-Santiago (2013)
Today, I just walk from Oviedo - Premolo only, and seem to stop it (for now) due to safety concern. The walk is beautiful from Oviedo -Escamplero...clear skies, good weather, beautiful scenery. I start around 11am fr Oviedo.

Then, in Escamplero at 2PM, a man totally naked showing himself. He is inside a house (with yard) and opening the gate (not sure to close it or open it wider), and speak to me in Spanish. I just ignored and walked away...then after 10-20 metres, I saw a road (where the path meets a road), I took picture of the place/not his house, to remind me where exactly the point is. I thought I will share this info to this Forum later. My thinking normally an exhibionist will not do anything if we just simply ignore them (I hv seen this few times), and then second I thought he is doing this inside his house (and maybe by law it is ok for to be naked in their own property - I am not sure about this). This is my first mistake, I should go to police immediately (not delaying it further).

Then, I continue to walk to Premolo (without stopping). Then, the same man waits in the path, do the same (this time wearing shirt n trousers). I just walked away. He grabbed my hands but somehow I am holding walking poles, so it was unsucessful. Then, he is very angry and pushed his body against me several times and speak in Spanish. I run...and he is following...lucky after 20 metres I saw road, he turn left and say No problem2 and disappeared.

I filed report to police in Grado. Even we came to the house and asking questions for that man. The police is really professional and helpful.

So, after 5 hours with the police and all the reporting stuffs accompanied by interpretaror, I went back to Oviedo (now by taxi). I decided to stop my Primitivo for now (maybe oneday will come back later). I am really scared he is following at me, because fr the first to second thing, I did not see anyone passing by me
..but he was already there in front of me. And then it is easy for him if he wants to specifically targetting at me (bcoz of my asian look and the route is remote, during the day only see 2 other pilgrim, a young couple - and he can predict )

I am shaking now still in my hotel room. But, I hope this will not make other solo female afraid. We just need to make sure to report to police, so others will not experience the same things. And most ppl are wonderful/and wiling to help.

I received support from a bar in Premolo (a family bar). I hv the name and address. Will update about this wonderful ppl later.

Regards,
M

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
marc31,
That experience must have been dreadful for you.

As a man, I can only repeat what I said in a post similar to this in the past. I am ashamed to be a man when I read of incidents like this.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that makes me more angry than behaviour like that you have experienced from a fellow man.

Be sure in your mind I will not be alone amongst my fellow pilgrim brothers when I say, sorry.

I truly wish you did not have this happen to you on your Camino, let alone anywhere else.

Best.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear your experience.

maybe by law it is ok for to be naked in their own property - I am not sure about this

Yes, it is. In fact, the last time I hear about it on TV, it was also legal to be naked outdoors (e.g.: on the street) unless municipal law banned it. The right of municipalities to forbide it if they want was disputed by some groups and associations but was ratified by the Supreme Court of Spain last month.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Marc31
I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. Even if the law allows you to be naked outside it doesn't allow you to harass and assault people

What disgraceful behaviour. You'd like to think that the people in the community that this man lives in would have
something to say to him.

Maybe in the morning when you are rested you will feel a little stronger. Could you perhaps jump a few stages to put some
distance between yourself and this man ?

God Bless

Hi marc31, I am so sorry this happened to you. You have come a long way to walk your Camino and it would be a pity to let a sick excuse for a man spoil that for you, please consider what introibo suggested and jump ahead to the next town and don't let him win.
Wishing you the best in whichever decision you make.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear @marc3l ,
Yes, so sorry you had to go through this! Thank you for reporting it to the police and for being willing to navigate through that process to help protect future pilgrims. Now as you take some time in your hotel room I pray peace and rest over you. I can only imagine how shaken up you are! Hope you can continue on boldly (maybe jumping ahead a few stages, as others have said) and not let this man steal any of your joy. Take care, and please keep us updated!
Buen Camino,
Faith

A terrible experience and it's completely understandable that you would want to stop. I do hope you find a way to continue...either as the others have suggested or by hopping even further ahead (or over the mountains to Leon) where there will be more pilgrims to walk with. May you be safe and walk happily!

I am so sorry this happened to you. I agree with the other posts that maybe you should hop a bus to Leon and continue your journey on a more traveled camino where you can walk with others. I believe that if you continue, you will have good memories that will help to fade the nightmare of what you just lived. Kind of like getting bucked off a horse. If you get back on right away, you lessen the risk of always being afraid. Don't let this horrible person take your power.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I filed report to police in Grado. Even we came to the house and asking questions for that man. The police is really professional and helpful. So, after 5 hours with the police and all the reporting stuffs accompanied by interpretaror... M
What kind of fool does this coming out of their own home? What did the police have to say?

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear, but thank you for sharing and reporting to the police. I agree with others and encourage you, if you are able, to find others to walk with, or to join the Frances.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are in my prayers. I teach about the law of domestic violence and sexual assault in the U.S. I was to stress to you the importance of getting counseling when you return home. These sorts of experiences of fear and powerlessness can plant themselves deeply in our psyche. Even if you jump ahead and walk on, or if you feel like you have come to grips with it, go talk to someone -- a counselor, your priest/ pastor.... It won't hurt and may help as you cope with the impact. Liz

Hi marc31, I'm sorry you had to go through this, what a horrible experience. A nightmare, I hope you will be okay. And you did the right thing by going to the police, good for you.
Do not let this bad man stop your Camino. Maybe you should consider going to Leon and continue your Camino from there. You will not be alone on the Frances and hopefully you will end up with beautiful memories of the Camino.

Today, I just walk from Oviedo - Premolo only, and seem to stop it (for now) due to safety concern. The walk is beautiful from Oviedo -Escamplero...clear skies, good weather, beautiful scenery. I start around 11am fr Oviedo.

Then, in Escamplero at 2PM, a man totally naked showing himself. He is inside a house (with yard) and opening the gate (not sure to close it or open it wider), and speak to me in Spanish. I just ignored and walked away...then after 10-20 metres, I saw a road (where the path meets a road), I took picture of the place/not his house, to remind me where exactly the point is. I thought I will share this info to this Forum later. My thinking normally an exhibionist will not do anything if we just simply ignore them (I hv seen this few times), and then second I thought he is doing this inside his house (and maybe by law it is ok for to be naked in their own property - I am not sure about this). This is my first mistake, I should go to police immediately (not delaying it further).

Then, I continue to walk to Premolo (without stopping). Then, the same man waits in the path, do the same (this time wearing shirt n trousers). I just walked away. He grabbed my hands but somehow I am holding walking poles, so it was unsucessful. Then, he is very angry and pushed his body against me several times and speak in Spanish. I run...and he is following...lucky after 20 metres I saw road, he turn left and say No problem2 and disappeared.

I filed report to police in Grado. Even we came to the house and asking questions for that man. The police is really professional and helpful.

So, after 5 hours with the police and all the reporting stuffs accompanied by interpretaror, I went back to Oviedo (now by taxi). I decided to stop my Primitivo for now (maybe oneday will come back later). I am really scared he is following at me, because fr the first to second thing, I did not see anyone passing by me
..but he was already there in front of me. And then it is easy for him if he wants to specifically targetting at me (bcoz of my asian look and the route is remote, during the day only see 2 other pilgrim, a young couple - and he can predict )

I am shaking now still in my hotel room. But, I hope this will not make other solo female afraid. We just need to make sure to report to police, so others will not experience the same things. And most ppl are wonderful/and wiling to help.

I received support from a bar in Premolo (a family bar). I hv the name and address. Will update about this wonderful ppl later.

Regards,
M

What a terrible fellow, and so aggressive and inappropriate. Praying peace and calm for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is truly sad and I am very upset and sorry this happened to you. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that this too shall pass and your peace of mind will be restored.

Regards,
M
So sorry to hear about your experience...I walked the camino Frances last year and wasn't afraid a single day....I am leaving in a month from Greece to walk again the camino north this time and I was thinking also to switch to the primitivo....but I keep reading incidents like yours and I am starting to be afraid..,,although I don't want to start walking with that feeling because for me the camino was a magic walk for my soul and myself in general and I don't want that feeling to be spoiled.

Thank you for reporting it and I hope you will continue your walk and get to santiago :) I beleive that the way provides and we just need to be a bit careful and enjoy the beauty of the way.

Dear All,

Thanks for all ur support, advise, and prayer. This morning after enough rest (and I am sure bcoz of prayers fr u guys and my friends), I wake up feeling better.

Today, I will explore Oviedo a bit (especially Camara Santa and Naranco), and then will hop a bus to continue my walk. It is very true as what being said by others not to let this man spoil my life, and take power on me. Otherwise, I will be forever being scared. Maybe, this Camino try to teach me a lesson somehow...I don't know. I will trust God on this.

But, I am nervous to continue Primitivo. I don't know what this man doing. If he has nothing to do...and just wait in some places sporadically :( My other option is to walk Finisterre (I hv walked entired Frances - but stopped in Santiago). Or walk other stages fr Leon.

The police in Oviedo said they never receive report like this, only thieves few yrs back in alburgue. And when I asked the interprator, she said once a British lady (riding a cycle) is being raped in Galicia (in Belorado/Beldorado ?), but it was 4-5 yrs back. Sometimes bad thing happens, but this place is considered safe.

God bless,
m

Marc31
Ebrandt above makes a very good point. Try to talk about this as much as you are comfortable to do. You are very lucky to have gotten away. Thank you so much for having the courage to return with Spanish Law enforcement. His community needs to be aware of him, as your incident will not be the only one he attempts. It will take time for you to work thru your fear, so the most important thing is to find what feels safe & be around good people. There are very good people on this Forum, some may have already made themselves available. Remember you will never be alone as you will find.
Keith

So glad to hear you are feeling more empowered this morning. I know so many others have already said it, but thank you from me too for reporting this event.
I think it is a very good idea for you to keep walking and in no way do I want to alarm you, but I will tell you of a potential "situation" you may come across. If you are warned, you cannot be taken by surprise and will be more confident. I posted about this last year and then a number of others chimed in with a similar experience from what must obviously be the same man. About 6km from Bodenaya a very respectably dressed old man sits on a stone fence and welcomes you. When you get close he offers a handshake - then pulls you much too close and does not let go. Just wave at this man - wish him well and walk past. I do not think he means any harm, but it would be disconcerting for you after the dreadful experience you have already had.
May you walk in peace.

Perhaps somrthing should be posted about these incidents in the two albergues in Oviedo ant the on in Esclampero, especially about marc31's specificing there was a denuncia to the police? This way pilgri,s could at least chose to walk in multiples as they go past this area? I am plannig to spend the night in Esclampero next week and will make sure I start the morning out with another pilgrim. Thank you for the heads ups and do take care of yourself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Anemone,

I can go to alburgue in Oviedo and talk with the person in chg (not sure if they speak english), just to remind other fellow solo female. What do u mean by: denuncia to the police?

Rgds,
m

So sorry to hear that this has happened to you! And I applaud you for reporting him to the police. I agree with what others have said, either jump ahead a few stages to put distance between you and him, both physically and psychological, or change to another more frequented Camino. It would be a shame if you let him take so much 'hold' over you that you give up on your pilgrimage. Change it, yes, but don't give up. Perhaps it would be best to change over to the Camino Frances, yes, you have done it already, but exactly this fact that you know it might be able to give you the sense of security you just need right now.
Buen Camino! SY

Hi Anemone,

I can go to alburgue in Oviedo and talk with the person in chg (not sure if they speak english), just to remind other fellow solo female. What do u mean by: denuncia to the police?

Rgds,
m
That you have made a formal complaint to the police 0. Denuncia
Hi Anemone,

Rgds,
m
Denunciar means to lodge a complaint. So this will show the seriousness of the event. You could say something along the lines of, in very simple Spanish: Ayer, saliendo de Esclampero un hombre salio de su casa y trato de asaltarme. Lo denuncie con la policia en Grado e estan envestigando lo que ocurio. Se lo digo para que otras peregrinas salgan preparadas y caminen con otra,personas si quieren estar mas tranquilas.

This would translatw to Yesterday after Esclampero a man came out of his house and tried to assault me. I have made a complaint tomthe police in Grado and they are investigating the situation. I am telling you this so other pilgri,s may be careful and can chose to walk with someone to be safer.

I think you wuld be doing a great service to fellow pilgri,s if you did that.

Thank you for speaking up and deniuncing the man and what he did to you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Firstly may I add my horror at you having this experience. My prayers are with you for your safety and recovery from the shock. Thank you for thinking of others and reporting it. Yes by all means continue, but perhaps on another Camino along with company. Good luck with your decisions and may the fellow pilgrims and locals you meet along the way restore your faith in people.
As a man, I can only repeat what I said in a post similar to this in the past. I am ashamed to be a man when I read of incidents like this.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing that makes me more angry than behaviour like that you have experienced from a fellow man.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with John.

Firstly may I add my horror at you having this experience. My prayers are with you for your safety and recovery from the shock. Thank you for thinking of others and reporting it. Yes by all means continue, but perhaps on another Camino along with company. Good luck with your decisions and may the fellow pilgrims and locals you meet along the way restore your faith in people.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with John.
On my 3 Caminos I prefered to walk mostly alone. but when I met women (esp young girls) and when I noticed they felt unsave I offered them to walk within eye- or earshot.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Yes indeed. Tell who ever is at your current albergue and give them specifics (the ones you trust) where you plan on staying next. Ask them to keep an eye on the road for you and on you. Perhaps meeting them in a few hours here or there. Use the buddy system. I remember when I was teaching children and taking them out for some sort of school trip they had to buddy up and keep an eye on each other. Perhaps use this system. One does not have to be walking directly with someone to be close in proximity to the person. Use your instinct...God gives us that gut feeling for a reason. If you feel unsafe for any reason find a way to communicate with someone. Keep your eyes on the road but your spirit on the walk. We are ALL praying for you and others on this Camino.

And saying that I think that when we hear of things like this happen, the power of prayer can be effective for protection and for comfort so I will be praying for safety and for peace while you walk the next distances. I am sure others would happily join me in doing so.

I am reminded day after day here that we are brothers and sisters on this Camino. We come from such different places and backgrounds but are compelled by the same goal and we need to keep watch over each other at least in this particular year.

This scripture comes to mind . It is found in Philippians 4 Vs 6-9

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I will be praying...

Regards,
M

Unfortunately I have a similar horror story to share that happened just a few weeks ago in Monte do Gozo

Regards,
M

Hi all,
I unfortunately have a similar horror story to have to share.
I recently finished the via de la plata from Sevilla and had no problems for the whole walk.... Then when I arrived in Santiago, I was camping at the donativo Polish albergue in Monte do Gozo, about 5km out from the city centre. One evening I was returning from a day in town and was quite lost in my thoughts so wasn't being too observant of my surroundings.... But suddenly I approached a completely naked man leaning against the boot of his car which was parked at the side of the road, and he was clearly masturbating while staring at me. My instinct was just to get away as quickly as possible, making sure he wasn't following me, and not to show any reaction, which is what these creeps probably get off on. This was an isolated area coming into Monte do Gozo, with no houses on either side of the road, so being a young woman on my own I felt extremely vulnerable. This type of man would probably try this again if he felt like he could get away with it so I just wanted to warn anyone who was planning on staying out there.

Unfortunately I have a similar horror story to share that happened just a few weeks ago in Monte do Gozo

Hi all,
I unfortunately have a similar horror story to have to share.
I recently finished the via de la plata from Sevilla and had no problems for the whole walk.... Then when I arrived in Santiago, I was camping at the donativo Polish albergue in Monte do Gozo, about 5km out from the city centre. One evening I was returning from a day in town and was quite lost in my thoughts so wasn't being too observant of my surroundings.... But suddenly I approached a completely naked man leaning against the boot of his car which was parked at the side of the road, and he was clearly masturbating while staring at me. My instinct was just to get away as quickly as possible, making sure he wasn't following me, and not to show any reaction, which is what these creeps probably get off on. This was an isolated area coming into Monte do Gozo, with no houses on either side of the road, so being a young woman on my own I felt extremely vulnerable. This type of man would probably try this again if he felt like he could get away with it so I just wanted to warn anyone who was planning on staying out there.
Not too many of us, Elen's about so just a note to say hi. Sorry about your experience. After a whole Camino without issue, it takes the focus away from the positive and as you mentioned, makes one feel vulnerable. Glad you put the word out. Best to the rest of your memories. Elin of Oregon

Hi All,

Today, I attended a Mass at Cathedral Salvador to give thanks how lucky I am and pray that others will hv a safety and blessed camino. Then exploring the town a little bit. I went to the alburgue Asturias and tell the hospitalero/a man in his mid 60s maybe (using the screen shot from Anemone in Spain), and Google Translator about why I feel I need to tell them.

What makes me afraid is the man really aggressive and I believe he is following me fr the first thing happened to the second.
I guess he has a car. But I did not see it.

I am waiting for bus to Leon now, and will walk fr there.

Will update later. I can gv a specific location/place where this happened if necessary. For others (esp. solo female) pls be alert and cautios. I wish you all a safety and beautiful walk.

Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be walking through there in a month.
I would like to have a specific location and description of the place.
I will be very sure to spread your report to as many of the local folks as possible.
I feel strongly that dirt bags like this guy should be exposed to his neighbors.
The knowledge that people are watching him will be a bit of protection to passing Pilgrims.

There is a police report. That is a fact that is on record.
I really don't think I need to be warned about libel or being arrested!

These guys exist because the light of day is not shined on them.
Few of us here were aware that these problems existed and actually often denied there was a problem along the way.
I do not believe that it is a common occurrence..but it is obviously a lot bigger than was thought.

Marc31, I wish you a safe and beatiful camino. I'm glad you are not letting the bad man stop you, power to you.
Buen Camino and the best to you.

Marc31: I am so impressed by you!!! Firstly, (from what I understand), you came alone all the way from Singapore to tackle a SECOND Camino. Wow. That speaks volumes about your courage and determination. And now, your resolve to continue. What great strength! You are my hero.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not sure what Spanish laws are regarding actions like those describe by Marc31. That said, I believe it is a criminal act to physically try to force someone, against their will, in any country. I am curious what the Spanish police did with this complaint. Is there a way to follow up? If there is no follow through with the complaints, what will change his behavior.

Grayland, in regards to your comments and Falcon's response, please be careful of your actions. I believe I understand your feeling on this matter. I am disturbed by it also but would not like to see you have a bad legal experience. This is a local law enforcement issue. I just hope there is something more happening than creating a document of the event.

Marc31:

I am concerned about an occasional event like this that ruins your Camino and adds additional trepidation for other single women walking the Camino. I wish you the best in whatever your decision might be in moving forward. I hope the actions of one degenerate individual will not spoil your Pilgrimage entirely.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Joe....I think you and Falcon are misreading my remarks. There is no problem with anything I posted.
Your concerns about potential legal problems are far off the mark.
The police report has been made and is part of that community. I simply want to insure that others in the community know that a police report was filed and perhaps to check it out locally.

I am concerned that this once again gets swept under the rug in that area and the threat remains to our fellow pilgrims.

Exposure of the problem is the only possible way to stop or stifle it. Keeping quiet because of fear of some unrealistic threat of "legal action" is the very thing that allows these guys to continue for a long time. They know the victims are moving along and that no one will take the time to expose them.

I would hope that our lady Pilgrims will be encouraged to report any of this type of experience...both to the police and to the local population.

My wife ran into a similar experience on the Sanabres. We reported it to the hospitaleria who reported it to the local police. Neither was very excited about it and said.."...we know about him. He is harmless.." Not exactly the response we would hope for.
I really did not know that the problem was as common as it now seems...at that it is spread across many routes.

The sad thing here is that my remarks and those of others are now generating fear. The Camino is still a very safe place....but it seems (in my opinion) that caution is now something we should be advising to those who are walking solo in some areas.
This is a very sad and depressing turn of events....but...there it is.
My opinion...others may disagree.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino, marc31! I'm very glad you are continuing and wish you a safe and wonderful journey.

caution is now something we should be advising to those who are walking solo in some areas.
This is a very sad and depressing turn of events
Sad as this might be (and it is), it's quite possible that this has been more common than anyone realized for some time, and no-one was reporting it. With Denise's disappearance we are all both a little jumpy (which is not so helpful), and more likely to report what we may be experiencing that is 'off' (which is very helpful)...rather than just walking on and not mentioning it. So letting people know this happened is a good thing...(And we know you will be careful, grayland ;) )

Even though the Camino is relatively quite safe that doesn't mean we should let romantic visions of it (that we may all have, even 'oldies') cause us to leave our common sense at home. Neither should we let unreasonable fear keep us away. It's a balance.

I will be very sure to spread your report to as many of the local folks as possible.
I feel strongly that dirt bags like this guy should be exposed to his neighbors.
The knowledge that people are watching him will be a bit of protection to passing Pilgrims.
So would I. I will be in Esclapero next week and would bring a print out of the photo you took to pin to the wall in the albergue as a heads up for those coming after me.

Hi All,

Today, I attended a Mass at Cathedral Salvador to give thanks how lucky I am and pray that others will hv a safety and blessed camino. Then exploring the town a little bit. I went to the alburgue Asturias and tell the hospitalero/a man in his mid 60s maybe (using the screen shot from Anemone in Spain), and Google Translator about why I feel I need to tell them.

What makes me afraid is the man really aggressive and I believe he is following me fr the first thing happened to the second.
I guess he has a car. But I did not see it.

I am waiting for bus to Leon now, and will walk fr there.

Will update later. I can gv a specific location/place where this happened if necessary. For others (esp. solo female) pls be alert and cautios. I wish you all a safety and beautiful walk.

Thanks.
Thank you for sharing the information with the albergue. May you the Camino become once again what you have always hoped it to be once you pick up in Leon.

€46,-
The sad thing here is that my remarks and those of others are now generating fear. The Camino is still a very safe place....but it seems (in my opinion) that caution is now something we should be advising to those who are walking solo in some areas.
I agree Grayland. After three incident free caminos I recently (March 2015) had a local grab me and kiss me while alone in the woods on my 4th Camino (Camino Sanabres). I am a 61 year old female. I was alone almost the whole distance and didn't see anyone but locals most of the time. I felt completely safe... And I think that is the problem. I dropped any real caution I would have anywhere else I have traveled. On the Camino I am often deep in thought and in a positive open frame of mind. I don't think of danger when I first meet someone since so many people have been so kind to me each day (especially locals). In my incident I take responsibility for not being more cautious. It was clear to me afterwards, when I assessed the incident, that the shepherd was asking probing questions like if I was married and where was my spouse, etc. I clearly communicated I was alone and was so friendly I am sure he thought he could get "lucky". It was upsetting for a couple of hours and I was glad it occurred at the end of my Camino. I still feel the Camino is very safe, but I for one, will be more aware on my next Camino. I will say that having trekking poles does make me feel a bit safer since I have a ready defensive weapon if needed. Having completed my first Camino in 2004, I do think the Camino has changed much like it must have in the Middle Ages. With more people and more publicity, I think it attracts opportunists and other unsavory characters. Your opinion to recommend caution is good.

I hate that you had to go through this aggressive attack. As a woman, unfortunately, I am not a stranger to feeling some fear that I have had to overcome. I guess anger over limits on my freedom have given me the courage to carry on. Time and the support of others, I pray, will fade the memory of this horrible person and allow you to continue on your camino.
But if you feel the need to be with family and friends at home, it would be understandable.
I'm going to be alone on VDLP so I will try to be cautious but hopefully with some balance. Reading about this incident and others lead me to seek out a self defense class I will start next week.

Joe....[...]
Your concerns about potential legal problems are far off the mark. The police report has been made and is part of that community. I simply want to insure that others in the community know that a police report was filed and perhaps to check it out locally. I am concerned that this once again gets swept under the rug in that area and the threat remains to our fellow pilgrims.[...]
...which are the reasons why the message is to be spread over other Forums, and the Spanish ones in the first place. I've met situations in the past where the police was lacking witnesses in order to take proper action. Local authorities and associations are also, obviously, concerned. For many foreign pilgrims, however, the language barrier and unfamiliar procedures by the police (Guardia civil, policia municipal) are too hard a nut to crack.o_O

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All,

Just arrived at Leon, and booked hotel. I just received a whatsapp message, the police is asking where I am, to do photo reconnaissance. Glad they respond seriously, but now I think need to go Grado again :( They will update me when and where to do this.

Will update u guys later.

Regards,
m

Know the law on libel first. You don't want the Guardia Civil taking you instead. A friend spent six months in Spain after being arrested on charges later dropped. It could be a long vacation.

Often it is best to let law enforcement handle it.
I worked in law enforcement in the U.S. one of my jobs was to track sex offenders & maintain records on them. The thing that they dislike the most is the public being aware of there location & neighbors being aware of there crime. The biggest deterrent to them is a spotlight. I would gladly spend time in jail to spotlight them. We all have a responsibility to keep innocents from harm. Spreading the news is a good start

Hi All,

Just arrived at Leon, and booked hotel. I just received a whatsapp message, the police is asking where I am, to do photo reconnaissance. Glad they respond seriously, but now I think need to go Grado again :( They will update me when and where to do this.

Regards,
m
Bravo Marc31 for following through with this. I for one thank you, and believe that all pilgrims, women walking solo or not, on the Primitivo and elsewhere, join me in this. You are doing your fellow pilgrims a huge favour by doing what you can to stop this person from ever doing this to anyone of us. THANK YOU from not having just walked away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Regards,
M
Thank you for reporting it, did the police do anything?

There is a police report. That is a fact that is on record.
I really don't think I need to be warned about libel or being arrested!

These guys exist because the light of day is not shined on them.
Few of us here were aware that these problems existed and actually often denied there was a problem along the way.
I do not believe that it is a common occurrence..but it is obviously a lot bigger than was thought.

I'll add that the police won't be helping pilgrims plan their journeys, but in a forum like this, we can get valuable information so we know how to conduct ourselves.

Seriously, I don't think anyone is spreading "fear"---we're all adults here.

Knowledge is power. Let's be real about that.

Hi All,

Regards,
m
ola M - have read all previous postings ... bloody hell, am so very sorry about what you experienced - ghastly and deeply upsetting. do look after yourself - as you seem you do.
don't know if you are familiar with some homeopathic remedies that i had found helpful in those unfortunate experiences
(i used to work in police stations/courts in domestic violence units, thus having seen the gamut from plain yuck to deadly)
but here is what i had successfully used when dealing w/ traumatic incidences as such you described. you'd probably find them in local farmacias: in english they are called 'Rescue Remedy drops" or "five flower remedies - by Flower Essences Services" - etc (homeopathic) -

you can research those on-line and see if it might be suitable for you?!
ACONITE is a good remedy against shock/fright -
perhaps a local farmacia could direct you to a homeopath or such who'd be able to assist you?
(if this posting is not appropriate because it contains a remedy suggestion, mods can feel free to remove section)
wherever you are, is there a local albergue?
could you perhaps ask for help/assistance in regards to your trip back to wherever you were assaulted? perhaps there is another pilgrim / volunteer who would be willing to travel back there w/ you so you would not need to be there on your 'own'?

and in all that 'taking care of business' - please be kind of yourself, lots of self-care/rest or whatever soothes you.
very best wishes - buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I honestly don't think they are generating fear. I remember in the 80's when things seemed so much easier...and I was attacked...18 ...at a house party and remember reporting it to the police. They questioned me and I walked away from them angry because their comments were pretty much I deserved it. Now in 2015 the police take this more seriously. The violent and sexual crimes in EVERY country seem to be going up and allowing ourselves to talk of them and share them not only make it easier to process them by those who are victims, it makes us more aware of ourselves and our neighbour as it were. We need to NOT let this generate fear but smarts. We need...specifically women ... to be aware that these things do happen. I tried to express this in another thread that was shot down and now more and more people are coming to the light and being free from the secrets and experiences that haunt us. Some people want to keep thinking and insisting that the Camino is a cake walk but that does nothing to shed light on truth nor does it give us a chance to stand up and rally against such actions and hopefully send some of these attackers and criminals a strong message that they cannot take the Camino away from us. This kind of thread can empower others to be alert and aware of what can happen in any country given the right set of circumstances. These things are frightening...sometimes very much so and sometimes just bloody rude and annoying. Either way staying silent gives them the power not us. Don't see this as generating fear but as generating power and cooperation with each other as sisters and brothers on a walk we know we are compelled to do. Let it enlighten us to the facts and rather than stopping us, allow it to help us feel safe with a network of people out there aware and alert to what is going on and ready to step in and help. This can help keep all of us safe by staying open and willing to share. I know since last week when NO ONE was talking about this stuff until today, the mere fact that I feel I am not alone in my concerns gives me a feeling of power and has encouraged me to start getting excited again.

Last edited:
I just received a whatsapp message, the police is asking where I am, to do photo reconnaissance. Glad they respond seriously, but now I think need to go Grado again :( They will update me when and where to do this. m
Hope going back to Grado is not too distressful and that it leads to successful identification. I wonder with modern technology if they could not show you the photos in Leon. Is it worth asking them?

I just finished photo identification and signed witness confirmartion. Police said here in Spain if someone exposed himself (even masturbating) it is not a crime unless there is minor or mentally ilness ppl. The crime here is if the person force to touch you. They will proceed fr here, and I told them it they can gv me an update for the follow up. I hv police contact number.

Now, will walk from Leon. Good weather. Hopefully I can enjoy this.

Will update later.

God bless.

I just finished photo identification and signed witness confirmartion. Police said here in Spain if someone exposed himself (even masturbating) it is not a crime unless there is minor or mentally ilness ppl. The crime here is if the person force to touch you. They will proceed fr here, and I told them it they can gv me an update for the follow up. I hv police contact number.

Will update later.

God bless.

Wow....lovely.

As a woman who hopes to walk the Primitivo by myself in the Fall, I would like to add my thanks to you marc31! Taking the time out of your trip and reliving the experience each time you mention it here or with the police must be difficult; I hope it is also healing. Know that you have done a great service to everyone who will walk after you, and not only on the Primitivo. Prayers for a new camino journey that gives you a renewed sense of calm, independence, and FUN!

Hi,

Thanks so much for support, advise, and prayer. Just finish' today walk, each step so hard (a very hot weather) and this man's face (after photo identifying) keeps fulfiling my head...plus work (boss texting about work) *arghhh*

I want to gv thanks to Casa Dylsia in Premolo. After I arrived, I order an aquarius first...try to calm down for 15 minutes. Then, I asked the bar owner to order me a taxi to Grado. He said his father (standing beside me) will drive it for me. I asked how much. They said no need to pay...which I don't want. I told them I want to go to police station, then I suddenly break down. All the communication is using Google Translator. I told them about what happened. All the family came out (try to calm me down)...even they called the police to come over. They also offer me to stay with them...so I don't need to be alone (which I appreciated....but I prefer to be alone). I thank them so much for their kindness...may God bless their life

God bless,
m

€60,-
Hi,

Thanks so much for support, advise, and prayer. Just finish' today walk, each step so hard (a very hot weather) and this man's face (after photo identifying) keeps fulfiling my head...plus work (boss texting about work) *arghhh*

I want to gv thanks to Casa Dylsia in Premolo. After I arrived, I order an aquarius first...try to calm down for 15 minutes. Then, I asked the bar owner to order me a taxi to Grado. He said his father (standing beside me) will drive it for me. I asked how much. They said no need to pay...which I don't want. I told them I want to go to police station, then I suddenly break down. All the communication is using Google Translator. I told them about what happened. All the family came out (try to calm me down)...even they called the police to come over. They also offer me to stay with them...so I don't need to be alone (which I appreciated....but I prefer to be alone). I thank them so much for their kindness...may God bless their life

God bless,
m
Obviously, you have been traumatized, which most of us would be. I am very glad to hear that so many are being kind and helpful to you. You need to do whatever feels best to you and makes you feel the safest.

marc31, I am so sorry that your camino has been marred by this incident. I pray for a speedy recovery from the mental torment of this trauma.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

God bless,
m
This is so touching it made me teary. God bless them AND you for just being open. I pray your journey continues to show you the grace and love that most people have in their hearts for one another. You are strong and we all believe in you here. Stay peaceful and happy.

Regards,
M

Dearest Fellow Pilgrim,

We are all thinking of you after this terrible experience. You are very courageous to share your traumatic experience and to warn us also. This man should be taken to court, as he did put his hands on you violently, which is a form of assault. This is serious and i hope the authorities will follow up accordingly.

I just sent your post to a Spanish pilgrim friend living in Oveido who is very involved in the Primitivo and has a blog. I asked him to spread the word to all who are walking the Primitivo, to be aware and alert for this sex offender. Please keep the faith my friend, and remember, YOU NEVER WALK ALONE! reach out to others, wherever you are and seek comfort and support. You will resume the pilgrimage when you feel it is time. Do not rush yourself into anything you feel uncomfortable doing or cover up your feelings. You mentioned Finisterre, which is a magical place, and a place of healing and solace for many. This could be a wonderful place for you to process your trauma and recuperate. Don't give up on the Camino, as bad things sometimes happen even in the best places on earth. Best of luck to you on your journey, inner and outer. Ultreia (onward)!
BUEN CAMINO
Kristine

Will update later.

God bless.
I find that incredulous that masturbating - thereby exposing his gentalia is NOT a crime, jesus wept yet again. spare me from this madness.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I find that incredulous that masturbating - thereby exposing his gentalia is NOT a crime, jesus wept yet again. spare me from this madness.
It is the law in Spain, until recently an officially Catholic country.

Police said here in Spain if someone exposed himself (even masturbating) it is not a crime unless there is minor or mentally ilness ppl.

Just in case someone was interested, I included a link (in Spanish) about it (regulation(s) about flashers) in a post on this other thread:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flasher-in-columbrianos.25608/#post-301000

I find that incredulous that masturbating - thereby exposing his gentalia is NOT a crime

It's not the only European country where masturbating in public isn't a crime under certain conditions. I read a court in Sweden said public masturbation isn't a crime in Sweden under certain conditions.

It is the law in Spain, until recently an officially Catholic country.

When the country was officially Catholic, it was a crime. I'm not sure when exactly it wasn't considered a crime anymore but I think it was (well) after the country had no official religion. In other words: the country passed from officially Catholic to no official religion but masturbating in public kept being a crime for some more years.

The 1978 constitution began the disestablishment of the Catholic religion as the state religion. Government subsidies to Catholic schools through about 1990. The penal code that prohibited public indecency was abolished in 1995.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems that in the case of public exposure in Spain, it is merely a "crime" against some sensitivities rather than a legal crime. I think that is an important delineation. No touch-no crime, in most cases. Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Marc31: Out of this terrible adversity you have touched many hearts and helping hands. The many friends of the Camino admire your courage and persistence. We are all walking beside you. Please keep posting as we want to know that you have reached your goal.

I worked in law enforcement in the U.S. one of my jobs was to track sex offenders & maintain records on them. The thing that they dislike the most is the public being aware of there location & neighbors being aware of there crime. The biggest deterrent to them is a spotlight. I would gladly spend time in jail to spotlight them. We all have a responsibility to keep innocents from harm. Spreading the news is a good start

I like you.

There have been a few (numerically, I have heard of more in Ottawa in a year than I have on 7 caminos, but one is too many) episodes of this nature. I had a conversation on the del Norte with a woman civil guard who was involved in an investigation of one of them. They take any incident involving pilgrims with great seriousness and I urge anyone who encounters anything of this nature to immediately report it to the Civil Guard, with as much information as they can provide, and as quickly as possible. While nudity or exposure is not an offence in Spain, any touch at all makes it a grave criminal offence.

For those who are interested in details, there are histories written of how Franco's Spain used indecency laws for political reasons as well as to a means of controlling the behaviour of women in public spaces (beaches, etc). But the authorities are aware of how, in some cases, self-exposure in what we would call flashing instances is the first manifestation of more serious problems.

Report. Report. Report.

Regards,
M

I'm shocked this happened to you on Camino and I really hope you recover from the shock of what happened to you very soon. Its very worrying that these types of incidents seem to be happening more frequently.

As an aside, I too am on Camino at the moment (yay!) but as this is a public forum which could be read by anyone I am reluctant to say where I am exactly given I am walking alone and given anyone could read this post (I'll update you all on where I have been when I am safe at home). It is always at the back of my mind that many women post on this forum and sometimes post details of the fact they walk alone and of where they are. Maybe only those who join the site formally should have access to certain info posted here (like the calendar etc)? Just a thought...

Marc31, I want to join the others in saying I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish you peace and strength, and justice served to the man who did this. May no one ever dare to do anything like that to you ever again. And thank you for sharing your story, as difficult as it was for you. I join others who believe we need to shine a bright light on these predators wherever they are.

Marc31, I applaud you for both speaking out and reporting this incident and send you a hug that you will soon be able to put this incident behind you. I regret not reporting a similar incident. On July 4, 2013 I was also accosted/molested on the Camino Norte after leaving a little village called Magdalena which is right past Soto del Barco. After crossing a very long blue bridge and hiking up a dirt hill through a secluded forest a guy around 30-years old came from the opposite direction and was holding one of those flyers that advertise rooms for pilgrims and used this flyer as a means to stop me and strike up a conversation. He grabbed me sexually, I punched him and he then began masturbating. It took all my courage to hike through the next much longer forest (which I walked back out of twice with the intention of getting on the next train out of there.) I never reported the incident even though I passed the Guardia Civil immediately afterwards because I just wanted to get out of there and I guess I didn't think they'd do anything about it. The next couple days I walked with a sharp rock in one hand and hiking pole with rubber tip removed in the other hand. I wanted to warn other female pilgrims but didn't want to worry my family if they saw a posting from me so I asked a friend to post on APOC which she did (it's still there) but the conversation took a different direction when someone, without asking about any details of the incident, suggested that, "a Sexual molesting in USA might be Seen as a harmless try of Flirt in European cultures." The following summer (2014) while hiking the VdLP on Day One out of Seville a similar incident occurred. This time it was an old man but thank god he didn't touch me or speak to me. I immediately pulled off the rubber tips of my hiking poles and started running. After about a half a mile I stopped a local biker going in the opposite direction and he ended up contacting the Guardia Civil who drove out to me to question the incident. They asked specifically if he touched me or spoke to me and when I said, "no" there seemed to be little concern on their part. As I prepare to leave for another Camino these incidents weigh on me but this time I plan to meet up and walk with a fellow pilgrim I met on the VdLP. I believe it's SO important that we speak out to raise the awareness of others.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All of these incidents are reminders that, although the Camino is a Sacred and Magical Place, it is still a place on Earth. You must still eat, sleep, pee, cover yourself when you're cold and wipe the sweat off when you are hot. People are part of the Camino too, people who will help you, laugh with you, walk with you and sing with you. There are also people who will take advantage of your meditative state, when you are walking and your walls are down and you are vulnerable. These people are all over the world, the Camino included. Love your Camino, but be aware of your surroundings at all times. Trust your instincts, and never be afraid to ask for help, to walk away from (or run away from) a situation that makes you uncomfortable. Perhaps your Camino will teach you to trust your inner voice more, to be active in your own safety, and to pray for those who have been hurt by disturbed people.

All of these incidents are reminders that, although the Camino is a Sacred and Magical Place, it is still a place on Earth. You must still eat, sleep, pee, cover yourself when you're cold and wipe the sweat off when you are hot. People are part of the Camino too, people who will help you, laugh with you, walk with you and sing with you. There are also people who will take advantage of your meditative state, when you are walking and your walls are down and you are vulnerable. These people are all over the world, the Camino included. Love your Camino, but be aware of your surroundings at all times. Trust your instincts, and never be afraid to ask for help, to walk away from (or run away from) a situation that makes you uncomfortable. Perhaps your Camino will teach you to trust your inner voice more, to be active in your own safety, and to pray for those who have been hurt by disturbed people.

And if you are fortunate, you will walk with Nana....and "Nana's got your back"!

Perhaps somrthing should be posted about these incidents in the two albergues in Oviedo ant the on in Esclampero, especially about marc31's specificing there was a denuncia to the police? This way pilgri,s could at least chose to walk in multiples as they go past this area? I am plannig to spend the night in Esclampero next week and will make sure I start the morning out with another pilgrim. Thank you for the heads ups and do take care of yourself.

Hello Anemone,

It's Elena . I will be in Escamplero next week too. Planning to start from Oviedo on 23. I d be more than happy to meet up with you.
Hello MArc31
thanks for reporting that. It is dreadful what you described.Hope you are much better now and that you feel stronger

ishing you a very buen Camino!
Thank you.This time I am pushing my comfort zone big time since this is the first time I go solo. Hope all goes well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Anemone,

It's Elena . I will be in Escamplero next week too. Planning to start from Oviedo on 23. I d be more than happy to meet up with you.
/QUOTE]
Elena, I will be walking short etapas so I am sure you will quickly catch up to me. I am planing Esclampero on the 18th, then Grado, Cordellana, Bodeyana, Tieno, Campielo, Berducedo... After all, I need to be able to walk when I get back home this time ;0) It will be a pleasure to meet you and walk with you.

I agree with all you say and am glad that you wrote this. I have been reading all these threads with interest and also of course sadness. I recently walked from Pamplona to Astorga - much of it alone. I think in retrospect that my feeling of being 'safe' and 'protected' was naive - but in the end I was lucky - nothing happened to me. But with our new understanding after the disappearance of Denise, and all the stories from brave women who are speaking up, I now know I will be more safety aware when I next walk alone. When there are incidents I want to hear about them - to be able to offer support and understanding, and to be better prepared myself. As women we live with this caution all our lives and the Camino is no different whatever we might like to believe. I agree with you that the discussions here have changed and to me they are maturing with each day and as more women speak up. I am glad of this as I would hate anyone to be silenced because of some misplaced desire to avoid creating fear. Openness and honesty and caring for each other will make us strong. I was feeling a bit frustrated with some of the responses on the forum but after reading today I feel so much more hopeful and I do understand how hard it is to really accept that the Camino - which is magical and profoundly spiritual in so many ways - also has a shadow side.

People have often commented that no women (or man) needs to walk alone but in my experience that wasn't the case. I walked alone - and very happily - at some time every day. And there were two or three days when I hardly saw anyone at all. Some times the Camino is like a motorway and then, especially if you are walking slowly as I was, everyone disappears. Or if you take an alternative route as I did after the wine fountain, you can be far from everyone else. One day, walking between Leon and Mazarife, I took an alternative route and I only met one other pilgrim. He was a young tall fit American lad and I was a small 50-something woman limping on a painful foot. Of course I didn't ask him to slow down and keep me company - we chatted and then he strode off and I walked over isolated farmland with no-one in sight. I did feel a little vulnerable that day but not enough to ask for company.
Now perhaps this would be easier to do but it's not really that simple - I love walking alone and other people also want to be in their own rhythm. I would not feel comfortable requesting others to look after me in this way.

sorry this is long - your message sparked me off and then there were things I wanted to say. thanks for writing.

I honestly don't think they are generating fear. I remember in the 80's when things seemed so much easier...and I was attacked...18 ...at a house party and remember reporting it to the police. They questioned me and I walked away from them angry because their comments were pretty much I deserved it. Now in 2015 the police take this more seriously. The violent and sexual crimes in EVERY country seem to be going up and allowing ourselves to talk of them and share them not only make it easier to process them by those who are victims, it makes us more aware of ourselves and our neighbour as it were. We need to NOT let this generate fear but smarts. We need...specifically women ... to be aware that these things do happen. I tried to express this in another thread that was shot down and now more and more people are coming to the light and being free from the secrets and experiences that haunt us. Some people want to keep thinking and insisting that the Camino is a cake walk but that does nothing to shed light on truth nor does it give us a chance to stand up and rally against such actions and hopefully send some of these attackers and criminals a strong message that they cannot take the Camino away from us. This kind of thread can empower others to be alert and aware of what can happen in any country given the right set of circumstances. These things are frightening...sometimes very much so and sometimes just bloody rude and annoying. Either way staying silent gives them the power not us. Don't see this as generating fear but as generating power and cooperation with each other as sisters and brothers on a walk we know we are compelled to do. Let it enlighten us to the facts and rather than stopping us, allow it to help us feel safe with a network of people out there aware and alert to what is going on and ready to step in and help. This can help keep all of us safe by staying open and willing to share. I know since last week when NO ONE was talking about this stuff until today, the mere fact that I feel I am not alone in my concerns gives me a feeling of power and has encouraged me to start getting excited again.

I totally agree, the warnings and remarks on this blog shouldn't be viewed as spreading fear as the awareness of the vulnerability of lone pilgrim especially lone female pilgrim is necessary to save and protect! On the other hand I would like to bring to your attention that fear is not at all negative, according to Gavin de Becker's book "The gift of fear", fear is the primal instinct that could save our life. So please don't hesitate to inform others and be informed and trust your instinct of fear when it is in your face. Here are a few link on the subject,

I have walked 5 different routes of the camino during the period between May 2013-August 2014. I walked most of the time alone, I preferred the solitude and meditative aspect while walking and I was lucky I came out of it safe and sound. Except I had the same experience on the Primitivo with the old man who came out to greet me and asI extend my hand for a handshake he grab my hands and pull me in to kiss my cheek. I was terrified and ran away from him. After that, I ran and ran as fast as I could to catch up with other pilgrims that I was acquainted from the albergue but the path around the mountain in the dense forest became very frightening for me. As a result of that frantic run, I had to cut short my primitivo at Grandas de Salime with a tendonitis as I injure my shin while pushing myself too hard. I later forgot about the incident because other told me it is a custom for old people to be over friendly and bless the pilgrim. Thinking back, probably not so, no other old spaniard men greet me like that.

Just like all of you here, I love the nature, the tranquility and the spirituality on the way. However the recent missing of Denise Thiem and the assault and robbery incidents happened recently made me aware of the danger lurking on the peaceful path of the camino. Personally, I would not consider the camino as a safe route to travel alone anymore. Although it won't stop me to continue walking the camino, on my next camino, if and when possible, I will ask to tag along with other pilgrims or group. This is the moment that the community of camino fellowship should shine through concerning the safety of fellow pilgrims. Ladies, don't be shy to ask for the company of other pilgrims. Gentlemen, please don't hesitate to offer your protection. Until some light sheds on the disappearance of Denise, I think it is unsafe for women to walk alone! Again, this is my personal opinion! At the same time keep in mind John Wayne's quote, “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”

It is important that female lone walkers should maintain a safe distance if approached by a man in a secluded area, don't let them invade your safety zone, which is about 2 feet from you, look for safety exit, back up, run, don't hesitate to use your walking stick to strike, if being grabbed try to kick, scream, poke his eyes, hurt him first before he hurts you!
I walked through a lot of secluded areas by myself on the camino, there are times my imagination made me feel really frightened, thankfully one of my friend in Paris, bought for me a pepper spray which I kept in my hand, the index on the nozzle as I walked through area that I felt unsafe.

As they always say, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. The joy, the fellowship, life lessons outdo the fear of violence and cruelty in this world. Regardless, we have to be vigilant and cherish our safety and of others' on the camino to preserve the sanctity of the camino now and in the future!

Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-

So sorry you had such an awful experience - I am also walking the exact same route (alone) in July so would appreciate any info on the location so I can circumvent it if possible as I will be starting to walk directly from flying into Oviedo so won't have the chance to meet others to walk with at an auberge in Oviedo - I don't think posting information like this is inciting fear - it is just creating an awareness to help keep people safe

Thank you.This time I am pushing my comfort zone big time since this is the first time I go solo. Hope all goes well.
Hi Elena
Do not worry- on the Camino YOU NEVER WALK ALONE as someone just said. There are always other people willing to help if you only let them. I just (month ago) did my first Camino (Primitivo) , it was a solo one but on the way I met a group of fantastic people from all around the world (Spain, Estonia, Norway, Italy...) and as we never walked as a group, we were keeping in touch all the way: meeting in bars, albuerges, on the pilgrim stops, sharing ideas and experiences. In the end we all met in Santiago and the whole Camino was the best experience of my life and I'm plannig to get back already :)

Buen Camino and God bless you
Ela

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All,

I will provide the location (it is in my pocket camera - not exactly the house but it can point out to the location), when I arrive home (currently boarding for flight home). Actually, when we (with police) visited the house...there is lady (maybe in her 60s) said no one is staying there...and the gate is not locked. She only comes once in a while.

I only walked fr Leon-Astorga, then went to Finisterre, the cape is really beautiful and peaceful. Thanks for all ur prayer, I feel ok now.

For me, this second Camino is to pay a promise, as my prayer is granted thru intercession of 3x Hail Mary Novena. The first Camino is because I wanted it, and it is really a beautiful experience. But, I am not that hooked in Camino...as I still want to visit many other places. So, I promise God to walk once again and do little good things if He answered my prayer (well...I should choose CF if I wanted to do little good things, as there will be more chance to meet ppl....but as said I always want to visit and see other places, so I chosed Primitivo). I will continue later, maybe it will take years to complete it (it is hard to get quite long leave...this time only manage to get 6 working days). But, even with this experience, I really thank God I am saved.

God bless,
m

Thank you Ela, that reminds me the wonderful experience I had last year. I have to keep positive.
Hi again Anemone,
I had a look at your plans and mines, and if you do take shorter walks (15 km a day ), perhaps we should be able to meet in Lugo. Fingers crossed :)

Hi All,

I will provide the location (it is in my pocket camera - not exactly the house but it can point out to the location), when I arrive home (currently boarding for flight home). Actually, when we (with police) visited the house...there is lady (maybe in her 60s) said no one is staying there...and the gate is not locked. She only comes once in a while.

I only walked fr Leon-Astorga, then went to Finisterre, the cape is really beautiful and peaceful. Thanks for all ur prayer, I feel ok now.

For me, this second Camino is to pay a promise, as my prayer is granted thru intercession of 3x Hail Mary Novena. The first Camino is because I wanted it, and it is really a beautiful experience. But, I am not that hooked in Camino...as I still want to visit many other places. So, I promise God to walk once again and do little good things if He answered my prayer (well...I should choose CF if I wanted to do little good things, as there will be more chance to meet ppl....but as said I always want to visit and see other places, so I chosed Primitivo). I will continue later, maybe it will take years to complete it (it is hard to get quite long leave...this time only manage to get 6 working days). But, even with this experience, I really thank God I am saved.

God bless,
m
God bless you
Keith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have a safe journey home marc31. I wish you luck with all of your future endeavors. Thanks for being a part of our "family".

Hi Marc31,
I hope you have arrived home safely, thank you for keeping us updated and been so strong. I wish well with every path you choose in life.
Rita

Read on a Danish forum today that two men tried to cidnap a young peregrina after Santa Catalina de Somoza.

Read on a Danish forum today that two men tried to cidnap a young peregrina after Santa Catalina de Somoza.
This has been a bad spring for that part of the Camino. Something I hope law enforcement may consider is cameras at choke points. Simple cameras like the type used to track game animals to identify routes. The same can be used for trying to fix who is pre planning a kidnaping or other bad intent. They simply take a picture due to movement.
In any case let's continue to pray for a positive outcome.

Hi All,

Today, just asking the update from police in Leon this morning, here is his reply via whatsapp: "I've been talking with Asturias. They told me the guy you identified at that time was in jail, so he could not be. But any way, they follow up investigations. It is quite possible the perpetrator show up again. This ppl somehow can repeat their crimes".

I feel really sorry I have identified the wrong person (at that time I was pretty sure it was him). So, just heads-up for you guys, please stay alert (but not to be over-worried).

Related to the location:
- First place: I walked on a road passing a restaurant on the left (quite big and nice, with many cars parking), then after few steps saw a sign of Albergue (Escamplero) on my left. Keep walking, after about 15-20 minutes from the Albergue's sign (in a small path/not road/but cars still can go through), there are some houses on the left. I saw the man on the last house (before the path then meets the road again, the house/the gate directly facing the road in 10 meters, with dark brown grey steel gate. After the path meets up the road, you should walk left (following Camino's sign), after walking few steps, at this point, I turned backward and take the picture (see the picture).

In this picture, the house is 10 meters on the right. On the left, is Camino's way statue; "Valsera" sign is 15 metres away straight (it is under the tree on the "Road picture", I zoomed-in the "Valsera sign" on the "Sign picture"). I keep following the Camino's sign, then after 50 metres, I saw a small (it looks old) church on the right with quite big yard (there is no gate). The ground of the church location is about 3 meters from road ( I saw a family with maybe 1-2 cars parked playing football).

- Second place: I keep walking, I did not stop at all, and did not see anyone passing me by (the latest pilgrim I saw is a young couple and they take a break on Capila del Carmen church) . It happened around 20-30 meters (in a small path/covered with trees) before Premono. I was not aware it is already close to Premono, until I run and saw a road (the man was following, turn to the left road and disappeared). I keep continue, as I saw some houses....but I did not see any open bar on the side of the road (it was Sunday - and maybe Siesta time). So, then I entered the small path again (as I saw Casa Dylsia/bar and casa sign - 500 metres from the road). That is the place when I asked the owner to help me call me a taxi (as mentioned in previous post).

I hope this will help a bit, especially for women walking alone, if you could consider walk in pairs or stay more alert.

Regards,
m

Attachments

• Sign_625.jpg
    Sign_625.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Road_626.jpg
    Road_626.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 42
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back