• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety Concerns

Ross Sheeran

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2015
After hearing about the latest terrorist atrocities today I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about our Camino which we have planned leaving from SJPP late October. It seems that you can't feel safe anymore. Maybe we are worrying too much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After hearing about the latest terrorist atrocities today I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about our Camino which we have planned leaving from SJPP late October. It seems that you can't feel safe anymore. Maybe we are worrying too much.
Hi Ross , you can stay at home and something can happen to . Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perhaps you should find your national governments advice to travellers to Spain (here it the terrorism page from the UK Govt site) and make up your own mind. All we can offer is bland assurances. Check it again regularly if you think that recent events might see a change in the advice. I know that the Australian general advice related to terrorism hasn't changed since late last year, and these latest attacks might trigger a revision of the current position.

What I can say, by way of bland assurance, is that the Australian Smartraveller site still lists Spain as 'Exercise normal safety precautions' which is the lowest level of risk advice. Your own national government will know if there are specific risk factors associated with travellers from your country.

Last edited:

The countryside of Northern Spain must be one of the "safest" areas in the world! We have been there 6 times in the last 7 years (missed last year because of ill health) and never felt "unsafe".
Go and enjoy :)
Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do your best to not let fear stop you. The "what if" keeps many from living. Yet if you look back on the historical aspect of just the Camino you will find the original reason for the Knights of Templar, to protect those on the pilgramage. Let the Gaurdia have the weight of worry.
If you are getting the call go.

Those first three answers weren't bland, they were reasoned and honest. Think of lion's mouth here, no, you wouldn't put your head in it and many Islamic countries are the literal lion's mouth, but Spain isn't.

Here's the thing. Terrorist attacks by their very nature are both secret and planned to happen when and where they aren't expected. Sure, you can stay at home but terrorist attacks are committed to cause 'terror' - has it had the desired effect? Then stay at home.
On the UK mainland we had apparently random bomb attacks from the IRA but people still went out, to bars, dancing - what can you do but carry on.

Dougfitz is absolutely right, check your government's advice for Spain and take heart ... Until recently in Spain you had more chance of being killed by home- grown regional independence terrorists..

Spain has vast numbers of police and they are all armed and because of their recent history they tend to be rather alert. That said, a random berserker cannot be planned for - they are random. No one can tell you whether to go to Spain or not, but worth bearing in mind that they did have a terrorist attack a few years ago because of their involvement in our illegal and criminal invasion of Iraq - which so far has caused over one million deaths, no wonder they hate us - it caused a change of government and removal of all troops so they are very low on the hit list now.

Whatever you decide I hope it all goes well with you

Been Camino

A little over 20 years ago, I was living in the UK and about to move back to the US. I was considering spending the winter in Guatemala, but was concerned about safety. I checked with the UK Home Office, and their advisory for Guatemala at that time was that some areas were reasonably safe, others were dangerous and not advised; it was important to stay apprised of local conditions and take reasonable precautions. I thought about this for a few days, wondering just what this meant in terms of my real question, "will I be okay?" It occurred to me that for a better understanding of the subtleties of wording, I needed a second data point, so I looked up their travel advisory for the US. It was exactly the same as for Guatemala. I remind myself of this when I feel concerned about walking the Camino a couple of months from now.

it caused a change of government and removal of all troops so they are very low on the hit list now.
In fairness, the attack itself wasn't 100% responsible for the change in government. It was at least as much (maybe moreso?) the way the government tried to handle (lie?) about the attack afterwards. They tried to score political points by blaming the easiest, home grown targets......and stuck to that declaration in spite of the attack not matching the history or style of those home grown terrorists.....and continued to stick to it for hours and days even as mountains and mountains of evidence continued to build that it was middle eastern terrorism. They handled it so badly, trying to garner political gain, that they were voted out of power, and the opposition party (which had always been against the war) subsequently got out of the war. It wasn't quite as directly the case of Spain being "scared" out of middle east invasion by the terror attack as you let on. There's a very good chance they could have won re-election if not for the way they handled the bombing.

That said, your point is a solid one. Spain is low on the threat totem pole right now, and even if it were higher, it'd still be safe to go. Or as safe as you are going to get in these modern times (which it bears remembering are still safer than most moments in human history)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will take a deep, deep breath before saying anything. Breath in, breath out.

Didn't I read something today about "weidos" on the CdeMadrid where someone said the poor fools would have to wait for hours and hours, days and days, before finding a poor soul to assault? OP doesn't say where home is, but if it's the US, I would hurry to get out of there fast and move to the Camino.

Back to the Camino, what would be gained? It's not as if ISIS is thinking of a reconquista, nor will sending 20-30 euros a day tourists off the Camino make Madrid more enclined to want to embrace the Moros this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little bit surprised about the first three answers - just a general "anything can happen anywhere and even at your home"? One of my dreams has been a visit to Palmyra in Syria and I know now that I will probably never ever go there. I have visited Libya three times, I have loved it and I am very sad that I am now unlikely to ever return. I have become wary of trips to the countries around the Southern part of the Mediterranean Sea, not so much out of fear but in the knowledge that I may not enjoy it as much as before because I am acutely aware of developments in recent years. And I even admit that in view of yesterday's news the thought had crossed my mind that I am glad that the historical and cultural meaning of the word matamoros is not generally and globally known ...

Having said that, Ross, I at least do not worry any more about a long walk in Northern Spain than I did before.
Let's get real, there is a difference between someone saying "anywhere in the world" and referencing to one of the few spots on earth where things are iffy. Just listened yesterday to something on public radio about the 70th UN anniversary and how much safer the world is now.

It occurred to me that for a better understanding of the subtleties of wording, I needed a second data point, so I looked up their travel advisory for the US. It was exactly the same as for Guatemala. I remind myself of this when I feel concerned about walking the Camino a couple of months from now.
Yup. Not any better. Why any one is surprised is beyond me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will take a deep, deep breath before saying anything. Breath in, breath out.

Didn't I read something today about "weidos" on the CdeMadrid where someone said the poor fools would have to wait for hours and hours, days and days, before finding a poor soul to assault? OP doesn't say where home is, but if it's the US, I would hurry to get out of there fast and move to the Camino.
Yes! In a heartbeat.

One of the things that I find interesting is that as the world has become safer over time our perception of safety has actually gotten worse. Part of this is human nature, the desire to romanticize the past (especially our youth). But an even bigger part, I think, is that as the world has gotten safer we encounter, daily, far less instances of risk.....and because of that we get into the mindset that risk is unaceptable.....we don't know how to cope with it. For example, mothers and children still die, naturally, in childbirth (though at FAR lower rates than at any time in human history).....yet whenever it happens there is this push to find blame. Was it the hospital? The doctor? The mother? Who was to blame? Sometimes someone is to blame, sometimes it just happens. Our lives are never truly risk free, but they've become so much more risk free that we forget about that risk, and become terrified when we realize that that risk exists. We no longer know how to face and handle risk logically and reasonably.

As my mother always said, it's a hell of a life and you are relatively unlikely to get out alive!

Last edited:
Of course there is no need to change plans to travel to Spain and walk to Santiago in view of yesterday's (26 June) events. I start to regret that I made a comment. Perhaps I was expecting a more differentiated and less generalised discussion. BTW, http://www.wsj.com/articles/spain-r...tacks-in-france-tunisia-and-kuwait-1435336103.
What else is a government to do so that it doesn't get blamed after the fact if anything happens on its homeland? Yes, like the US you pretend levels go up and down from day to day and prented you are in the know and in control. Ooops, I think a slug has just been stept on. ;0)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I see no reason to talk politics it will simply be perspective of our own limited knowledge/ prejudice.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, much better to call the OP a person of " limited knowledge" or prejuiced.
Or maybe just not to attack to OP at all. One can disagree with his (apparent) world view and argue without name-calling or making it about nationality. Also, not to assume we know his world view just because he had a moment where he expressed fear.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Honestly the recent terrorist atrocities wouldn't have crossed my mind if my camino Frances was this month as opposed to last, maybe I am naive.

The world is a dangerous place. It always has been and always will be dangerous. We have mother nature to contend with and she is always unpredictable. Does that stop us from going outside our homes or traveling to foreign lands, of course not and neither should terrorists.
We have always had radical governments, radical religions, and malcontents all with nefarious intent. Has that stopped us from doing what we like to do, no. Every time there is a terrorist act against innocents and we or our governments change how we go about our daily business or we're cautioned about what we think or how we express ourselves, or are asked to change our way of life the terrorists win. My travel plans are not going to change. Come next May I'm walking the French Way. I will not bow down to terrorist actions or threats. I'm not a sheep. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Ross
Be blessed and do what you think is best.
Wr cannot see what is over the next hill
Or inside the datkness of the clouds
Is that our friend up on yon hill..or is that shadow something bad....

By nature,i am a shy type,who would rather avoid trouble
But
Theres the trouble
Ime,also burdened with an isatiable and terminal wanderlust,witha huge streak of curious....
I need to see whats,over there,behind that hill,over the horizon.

Trust in something bigger than yourself
I choose to live,to go on despite my natural reticence
I hope you find yourself on some beautiful Galician sun
Warm,safe and full of lifes blessings.

Blessings be upon you sir!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back