• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety for pre-dawn starts on the Camino Frances

Lwight

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 CF
Like others who have recently posted, I live/train in a very cool environment and am concerned about the shock of Trail temperatures. There has been much valuable info on how to minimize that shock, and I appreciate it. But I'm considering taking that advice a bit further, by starting each morning VERY early - like 4:00 AM. But being out there along and marked by a bright head lamp, I am wondering if I would be an easy target for robbery. I guess a collateral question is, what time do the bars close???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Violent crime while walking on the path is extremely rare. However, if you are staying in an albergue and are getting up at 4 am and flipping light switches, rustling plastic bags, and slamming shower doors, your life will be in danger.

Last edited:
You are walking through farming country. Robbery is quite simply "not a thing" in the places you will be walking, and exceedingly is rare even in city centers in Spain. It is a peaceful place with minimal violent crime. If you walk through the center of Logrono, Pamplona, Burgos, or Leon at 4:00 AM it is very likely that you will see drunken revelers, particularly on the weekends. It is extremely unlikely that you will be robbed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
what time do the bars close???
It depends on the town, day of the week etc. Usually not before 12, sometimes much later.

As to robbery, rural Spain is very safe. While you might meet someone making their way home after a night on the tiles, it's highly unlikely you will encounter violence or confrontation.

concerned about the shock of Trail temperatures.
Maybe try del Norte? Here in San Sebastián now. Significantly cooler than Madrid. Also, highly recommend “HikeGoo” ( from REI if you’re in US, others recommend Vaseline) for feet. Mine blistered up in Madrid just walking around, I think due to not being used to warmer temp; that and some Compeed blister pads took care of problem.

Closer to Sarria and beyond to Santiago you may see a few con artists trying to convince you they are deaf and want you to contribute to some cause. They have clipboards and will try to get you to sign with your information. I doubt they will be up at 4 am though.

I saw one snatch a 20 euro note from a teen boy and stuff it in her underwear. The Guardia Civil were nearby and asked if the priest accompanying this school group from the Philippines wanted to come to HQ to file a complaint and have a female officer search the woman for the money. In the end they let her go as the priest and his school group did not take the time for this detour.

As a woman, I would probably as a friend to walk early with me due to reports of flashers, etc on some routes, but I have not heard of thieves out this early.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my first Camino I walked through San Sebastian (big city) at around 4am, lost, looking for a bus or train to Pamplona, not speaking any spanish. Only met friendly, helpful people trying to get me to the right place. Mostly slightly drunk students going home after a night in the bars, it seemed.

I was not afraid after that. Often started walking alone at 5am in complete darkness (please don't switch on any lights in the dormitory and have your things ready if you want to start early, absolutely no bag rustling, please! It's best to keep your packed bag in the common room for early starts, so that you don't wake up all the others).

Yes, crime does happen on the Caminos, but it's rare, and robberies in the middle of nowhere are extremely rare. It's more likely that a phone or money gets stolen in an albergue if you don't keep an eye on it, but robberies ect. are not something I usually worry about when walking. Only exception maybe Pamplona during San Fermin...

Albergues close at ten, so that's when you'll have to be back from your pub crawl, you'll never find out the closing times of the bars because you'll be asleep already ;-)

Don't be afraid... Buen Camino!

Like others who have recently posted, I live/train in a very cool environment and am concerned about the shock of Trail temperatures. There has been much valuable info on how to minimize that shock, and I appreciate it. But I'm considering taking that advice a bit further, by starting each morning VERY early - like 4:00 AM. But being out there along and marked by a bright head lamp, I am wondering if I would be an easy target for robbery. I guess a collateral question is, what time do the bars close???
Yes, they’ll see you coming a mile off and be ready and waiting for you. In most big cities there will still be bars open when you’re setting off.

It’s not the wild west, nor is it exactly an extreme climate. You’re over-thinking the problem, if indeed there is one.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Violent crime while walking on the path is extremely rare. However, if you are staying in an albergue and you are getting up at 4 am and you start flipping light switches, rustling plastic bags, and slamming shower doors, now your life is in danger.
At one albergue the lights were switched on at 1:00 by a fellow looking for a blanket. Within seconds, literally, I turned the switch located on the other side of the room off again and in my mind spoke enough words to put the fear of God into him. Peg later told me that I sounded quite polite. That sort of hurt my pride but, at any rate, the lights did not get turned on and I didn't hear him make any noise.

I had an incident in Logrono following a late night bar closing and pre-dawn start. The boys from the bar wanted to pick a fight after Spain lost to the Netherlands in WC match that night. I had to convince them I was just some random Yank and not one of the Orange fan base. They followed me for blocks hurling bottles and debris at me. Pick your morning exits carefully!

Last edited:
The only time I saw anything like crime was the last bit from Sarria (scam artists, beggars, petty level stuff). Although two shady looking guys were following a German girl for a while after Astorga on my first camino, so I struck up a conversation with her and got her to her albergue in El Ganso. Beyond that I saw nothing. But I don't hang about in cities, nor spend hours drinking until the early hours. I am also very street wise and observant. If I see it, I avoid it.

I wouldn't worry, it's not like walking through some bad area in the US where you might leave in a body bag. People are pretty chilled out in Spain.

A girl I talked to on my first camino told me (and I have no idea how true this is) that getting one of those blue eye looking medallions puts the fear in the beggars, due to superstitions and all that mumbo jumbo. But take that with a pinch of salt. I never bothered, but she said they would not go near her or even ask for money. Think they call them evil eye medallions or something like that. I don't need one, I am my own medallion of sorts, namely I am big, tall and scary looking, plus I have two steel walking poles. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the biggest danger starting out so early,especially when road walking is the risk from cars and lorries,some pilgrims leaving whilst dark use a hi viz vest and I have seen some use hi viz tape on their packs to alert drivers
Good luck and have a safe camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
People have mentioned how bad it would be if you got up at 4 in an albergue and disrupted the others but think about how impossible it will be for you to get a full nights sleep if lights out is at 10. Six hours of sleep, night after night is unsustainable. I would ask if you are practicing self-care by not exposing yourself to hot temps while walking, then why are you hurting yourself with poor sleep. Take it from the others more experienced pilgrims in the group, start out later, walk the Norte, start earlier in the year, etc. I can also encourage you to consider for a moment the temperatures won’t be as bad as you are imagining and perhaps your body will adjust to the new climate better than you think.

You are walking through farming country. Robbery is quite simply "not a thing" in the places you will be walking, and exceedingly is rare even in city centers in Spain. It is a peaceful place with minimal violent crime. If you walk through the center of Logrono, Pamplona, Burgos, or Leon at 4:00 AM it is very likely that you will see drunken revelers, particularly on the weekends. It is extremely unlikely that you will be robbed.
You are right. Indeed the chances of being a victim of a robbery in any city in Europe are very small. In rural Spain they virtually sink to zero. That doesn’t necessarily prevent all of us feeling vulnerable in a whole range of situations. The reality, though, is that the fear of crime is far greater than the likelihood.

You are right. Indeed the chances of being a victim of a robbery in any city in Europe are very small. In rural Spain they virtually sink to zero. That doesn’t necessarily prevent all of us feeling vulnerable in a whole range of situations. The reality, though, is that the fear of crime is far greater than the likelihood.
Yes the difference in robbery is that someone confronts you and takes something with a threat of force. I agree that is very unlikely. Theft though can happen when someone takes your things without you knowing. It has been said a lot lately, but secure your valuables and keep them on your person at all times or in a secure bag in the shower cabinet with you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with the overthinking part. I am also from NW part of US and found the trail temps very little different from our part of the states. Depends on your tolerance for temp. Maybe start out earlier or later in the year to avoid the highest temps. Usually less crowded, also.
Also agree with the 4:00 start time as being problematic! For you, you miss so many views and meeting locals with such an early start. For everyone else, you won't be ruining their (much needed) sleep!

What a gent. You very likely deflected a potential incident.

This was a year after Denise Thiem got killed and it was the same area too, so I was already a bit on edge. They were, if I'm honest, gypsies, not pilgrims. But they had been following her for a good mile and in turn I was shadowing them without them particularly noticing me, until I decided to railroad them in the first major village after Astorga and insert myself as the buffer. She wanted to go and look at the I think Gothic village that is a detour off the main route, which also happened to be the one that Denise got lost after, so we went to look at the village and kept bumping into those two all the way until El Ganso. I have two sisters and would hope someone would step up if needed if a similar situation occurred with them. Besides that it just seemed to be the right thing to do. I did ask her if she was aware of them and she wasn't, but then she kinda realised. they went beyond El Ganso and I spotted them the next day up at the Manjarin albergue, so they presumably stayed up there that night.

@OP. I wouldn't start at 4am. i would maybe consider walking September/October if you want warm but not too warm. It's still warm in the day, but not baking. Cool at night. My own preference is get up at 6ish, on the road by 7am, have an hour for lunch/cat nap at 1-2pm, finish at 7-8pm, wherever that might be, usually with a couple of beers. I march to my own drummer. I wouldn't walk from 4am. That's like masochist level. I agree with @HeyRobin, The only good place to be at 4am is asleep. ;)

If it's hot, ensure you drink a lot of water and eat a couple of bananas (or use isotonic tablets in your water). Every village you come to that has a tap, take your t-shirt and completely drench it and put it back on wet. It will keep you cool as you walk. Have a good hat. Use decent suncream and cover up with loose clothing. If it's particularly hot in the middle of whatever day you are out on, find somewhere shaded and have a siesta for an hour or so. Don't be in a rush to get sun stroke, it's not a good experience. Use common sense.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe try del Norte? Here in San Sebastián now. Significantly cooler than Madrid. Also, highly recommend “HikeGoo” ( from REI if you’re in US, others recommend Vaseline) for feet. Mine blistered up in Madrid just walking around, I think due to not being used to warmer temp; that and some Compeed blister pads took care of problem.
Ditto on some kind of “goo” for the feet. A nature guide friend of mine in Baja (México) recommended a mixture of beeswax, paraffin wax and lanolin to help retain your skin’s natural moisture and protect it from drying out and cracking. The closest thing to that combo that I’ve come across and have been using with good results contains beeswax, dimethicone, petrolatum and lanolin. It’s called “Pro-Tech-Skin, is made in South Carolina (US) and can be found at www.atsko.com.

Buen camino.

Why, why oh why would even consider starting walking at such an hour! Beats me.

Violent crime while walking on the path is extremely rare. However, if you are staying in an albergue and are getting up at 4 am and flipping light switches, rustling plastic bags, and slamming shower doors, your life will be in danger.
Totally agree, as it not only P*** others off and it achieves nothing as you will miss so much in those dark hours, I have noticed more and more it has become a race to the next albergue...stop and smell the flowers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why, why oh why would even consider starting walking at such an hour! Beats me.
My internal alarm wakes me up after @5 hours of sleep. It’s like clockwork (sorry🤷🏽‍♂️). If I fall asleep at 10PM, l’ll be awake by 3AM, 3:30 if I’m lucky. But I am good to go all day, nada de siestas, tho’ a brief 40 winks isn’t out of the question. So, knowing my rhythms as I do, it would behoove me to try to stay up till at least midnight, wake up @5/5:30, and get outta Dodge by 6. So, while I would consider starting the day’s walk at 4AM, 6AM sounds like a way more civilized hour. Others in the albergue would probably agree, no?😃

I don’t think that’s a good idea, I met a couple that tried to start that early they got lost. , one tripped and skinned her knee and they admitted that missed the sites and view. It’s not worth it

If you are walking now the temperature is okay I just finished the Camino France. I started in February and very cold. Most bars are open until 9 -10pm

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I greatly appreciate all this activity. Thank you, all! Good thoughts, good energy. My situation might be unique. I have a medical condition whose medication raises my body temperature. Plus, I am 80 years old. Here in the PNW of the US I will train in shirtsleeves in temperatures in the high 30s F! I know I will acclimate and look forward to that but in the meantime I need to account for the major energy loss that accompanies overheating. Of course I will incorporate all the offered suggestions for cooling but I need to be prepared if they are insufficient.
Thank you, Ivar, for changing the title of this thread!!!
Buen Camino

Like most respondents to your initial inquiry, the issue of potential theft/robbery is, IMHO, grossly overestimated...

While I do not wish to trivialise the impact that the few reported occurrences of theft have on their victims - losing one's passport and money is another country is a major upset to the best laid plans, and potentially a Camino-ending occurrence - such events are rare and it would be easy for an inexperienced pilgrim (as I once was) to over-react in the interests of (total) avoidance of risk. If you are like me - risk adverse (at least to unmanaged risk) and fearful of the consequences in a country where you do not speak the language, do not understand the customs, and have no practical knowledge of the administrative/regulatory structures of government - a lot of time and effort can be spent of 'preventing theft', to the detriment of enjoying your Camino.

I learned to relax, take basic precautions, such a not carrying a lot of cash, spreading cash into various places in the backpack and pocket, keeping passport and valuables on the body or in sight at all times (keeping them safe while one is sleeping is a bit more complicated, and there is much advice elsewhere on this forum), and enjoy my time on the Camino.

I had only one occasion to question my physical safety in three Caminos, and that was a consequence of my mis-reading of the situation - I walked into the queue for a soup-kitchen for refugees in Logrono rather than a gathering of potential muggers... my mistake, and a salutary lesson.

With all due respect, I do have to ask why start at 4 am? - Yes, I hear what you are saying about the heat of the day, but a Camino is as much a visual and communal exercise as a spiritual or religious one, and walking alone in the wee hours of the morning means one can miss so much...

My (unsolicited) advice would be to explore other options, including walking shorter days) before passing up daylight walking...

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like others who have recently posted, I live/train in a very cool environment and am concerned about the shock of Trail temperatures. ???
Has anyone mentioned that the ”heat of the day” in Spain comes after 3pm? For how many hours do you plan to walk, and in which month?

Has anyone mentioned that the ”heat of the day” in Spain comes after 3pm?
For example, today at my home near Boston solar noon came at 12:45 but in León, about halfway on the Camino Francés, it came at 2:22.

It is due to Franco's alliance with Germany and the WWII change of France's timezone to match Berlin's (and not changed back) that the timezone stretched further west than would be expected by longitude alone.

My pre-dawn walking experiences were very pleasant. Usually didn’t see anyone out and about except in the cities. In the cities - the last of the previous nights party scene was still wrapping up with the last of the locals making their way home. Did see a couple drunken misconduct incidents - but nothing made me feel unsafe.

But please know - getting up before 6am is very disruptive to others sleeping in dorm rooms. Consider staying in privates if you plan to get up that early. If you chose to stay in the dorm rooms - pack your bags the night before and when you wake up - grab your belongings without turning on lights/headlamps (even red lights disrupt sleep) - and exit the room to pack your bag as quickly and quietly as you can.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A girl I talked to on my first camino told me (and I have no idea how true this is) that getting one of those blue eye looking medallions puts the fear in the beggars, due to superstitions and all that mumbo jumbo.
Maybe one of these would work. I brought one back and it is hanging next to the front door.

Description: Fetish with silver handle with trisquel. Meaning: Against those who want to rob us.

Please please stay in a private room if you intend getting up at 4.00 am. I have suffered from sleep deprivation caused by people getting up in the middle of the night. Causing sleep deprivation to others is tantamount to torture. Please be kind and consider others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about all bars but one I slept over, and I use that term lightly, did not close until 3am. 6am in Estella and there were still people partying from the night before. Invited me to join them so earliest beer I ever had followed by earliest wine at Irache. I often was on the trail by 6 and never encountered any unwelcome problems in 5 caminos. You should be OK but as in all advice about personal security, stay alert just in case

Many other pilgrims are up early and walking at god awful o'clock , often because of snorers or noisy people. Locals will be up and about, those whose day is starting and those who haven't got back home yet.

It's very rare to have any problems so don't worry about the one in a thousand horror stories and just be aware of your surroundings as you would at home

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
People have mentioned how bad it would be if you got up at 4 in an albergue and disrupted the others but think about how impossible it will be for you to get a full nights sleep if lights out is at 10. Six hours of sleep, night after night is unsustainable. I would ask if you are practicing self-care by not exposing yourself to hot temps while walking, then why are you hurting yourself with poor sleep. Take it from the others more experienced pilgrims in the group, start out later, walk the Norte, start earlier in the year, etc. I can also encourage you to consider for a moment the temperatures won’t be as bad as you are imagining and perhaps your body will adjust to the new climate better than you think.
I was never one to start at 4, but as one who regularly started between 5 and 6 on a summer Camino to avoid walking in the hottest part of the day (starting earlier in the year wasn't an option), I can say that afternoon naps are your friends. And after an early start, and a day's walk, having a nap in the heat of the day isn't that difficult.

I was never one to start at 4, but as one who regularly started between 5 and 6 on a summer Camino to avoid walking in the hottest part of the day (starting earlier in the year wasn't an option), I can say that afternoon naps are your friends. And after an early start, and a day's walk, having a nap in the heat of the day isn't that difficult.
Ah, yes, the quintessential time of rest during the hottest part of the day…la siestita. The summers where I live in México are hot - not unusual to have a couple of weeks running of 40C days and 27C nights. One must do as the locals do; get your chores done early before the heat really kicks in in the afternoon @3PM and then hunker down till the sun goes down. I believe such a plan will work well on a hot day under the Spanish sun on the Camino.🤙🏽

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
🤭

Hahaha, for sure you may not make it to the door 😂😂😂

Sorry you were bombarded by a lot of didactic comments lecturing you about waking up others at 4:00 am instead of actually answering your question.
IMO you are in little danger of being a victim of robbery or theft, but no Camino route is a utopia so just like anywhere in the world you can be the victim of a crime, but also like traveling anywhere in the world common sense safety measures prevail to lower your chance of being a victim of anything.
Now I will lecture you about something far more important when walking in the dark and that is being seen by automobiles and bicyclists. I suggest (not being didactic here :D ) that you put reflective tape on your trekking poles. Also you can get a reflective vest that you can alter and attach to the back of your backpack as well as small blinking light strobes that you can pin on your pack, one in front and one in back. They're quite small and weigh almost nothing. They're used by runners and can be seen a long distance away. I have seen pilgrims using them before and well worth getting for those that walk in the dark. Also a headlamp is a necessity for walking in the dark.
BTW, you won't bother me getting up early. I'm usually up by 5:00 am in albergues as I am asleep at 10:00 pm the night before and quite honestly seven hours is a long time for me to be in a bunk the size of the ones I slept in while in the military. Also I'm a big fan of the afternoon siesta, so that's another two hours added to my sleep time post walking. I just have all my stuff ready the night before and quietly get up and bring my pack and belongings into a common area or outside. The only time I really hang around an albergue in the morning is when there's a breakfast included and even then it can become a bit of a scrum as pilgrims bogart the table and chairs and the food! :D

Another option would be to spend the night in one of the bars that doesn't close until 4 am and leave from there each morning. This offers so many advantages. You will save the cost of accommodation, there will be no risk of disturbing other pilgrims in the albergue (except for when you walk past singing) and if anyone is going to pick a fight it will probably be you.

€60,-
My experience of Logrono during the September Festival was anything but peaceful. Loud rowdy drunken crowds at it until the small hours. I finally left my accommodation at 4.00 am and made my escape alone in the dark through the city and into the big park on the outskirts of the city. So my advice is to avoid Fiesta Season if you want a decent night's sleep. Admittedly I neither witnessed, nor experienced, any criminal activity whatsoever in Logrono or on any other part of the Camino over several years' walks.

Please book single rooms everywhere you are getting up at 330 to walk at 4. You're gonna experience the biggest threat from pissed off pilgrims trying to sleep thru your racket of packing up in the am. This is not the way to do it. Go in march if you are worried about the heat. Get up at 7 have breakfast drink coffee have a great experience seeing the camino in the daylight.

When I walked the Camino Francés early mornings before sunrise, I was more worried about being seen by early morning drivers. I used one of the nite-Ize flashing red lights, that has a built in carabiner (https://niteize.com/illumination/lifestyle/spotlitr-carabiner-light) clipped to the middle back of my backpack and I put a piece reflective tape on each of my trekking poles. I also used a headlamp.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please book single rooms everywhere you are getting up at 330 to walk at 4. You're gonna experience the biggest threat from pissed off pilgrims trying to sleep thru your racket of packing up in the am. This is not the way to do it. Go in march if you are worried about the heat. Get up at 7 have breakfast drink coffee have a great experience seeing the camino in the daylight.
What if they cannot afford private accommodations? What if they cannot travel in March due to work etc? Why are you saying there's only one way to walk the Camino?
I stay in public albergues knowing full well that not everyone is going to act exactly like I do and walk the Camino exactly like I do. It comes with the territory. Part of communal living.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another thing to beware if you must walk before dawn: The trail is often uneven, with tree roots and loose stones. After you stumble a few times in the dark, you may decide to walk along the edge of the paved road, if there is one nearby.
You are probably wearing dark-colored clothes.
From a driver's point of view, pilgrims on the road before dawn are practically invisible. The flourescent stripe on your backpack is not on the front of your body, so oncoming cars don't light it up.
Your little headlamp may light your way, but is not bright enough to make you visible to a driver coming at you at 50 mph. It seems like a no-brainer, but the few times I am up that early and on the N120, there you are, striding along the edge of the road. You guys are terrifying in high season. I am surprised more of you don't get killed out there.

You are completely wasting your time. In Summer, there will always be people getting up pre-dawn and there's not a thing you can do about it. Your pleading on here will have absolutely zero effect on Summer pilgrims.

No one has mentioned the farm dogs. If anything might impede your journey, perhaps one of them might if not tied up at night. Just a thought.

Left early a lot of days in the dark when I was there. The thing was I didn't keep my head lamp on I have a really good eyesight so if the terrain was pretty good I had it off until I needed it and just used the moonlight. I never did feel like I had an issue though

I would be more worried about breaking my neck walking in the dark.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are completely wasting your time. In Summer, there will always be people getting up pre-dawn and there's not a thing you can do about it. Your pleading on here will have absolutely zero effect on Summer pilgrims.
Hence my March start

What if they cannot afford private accommodations? What if they cannot travel in March due to work etc? Why are you saying there's only one way to walk the Camino?
I stay in public albergues knowing full well that not everyone is going to act exactly like I do and walk the Camino exactly like I do. It comes with the territory. Part of communal living.
Yep a little consideration goes a long way. that was my point about not being a part of the up at 4 crowd. Making noise before 6am and after 10 pm is part of the kind considerate hospolitaleros request of the albergues on the camino. If one is unable to stay quiet due to ones inability to afford accommodation or take time off maybe the camino albergue concept is not for someone. it is hot in spain in the summer. hundreds of thousands of people do the camino in the summer. in summer it is no longer really a holy pilgramage when filled with people making human trains carrying flags yelling across the landscape to each other and flying 2 drones around the cruce de ferro at sunrise. yes this happened to me today and a week ago at the cruce. there is no one way to walk the camino. in fact there are hundreds of thousands of ways. if you want peace from the folks planking off the cruce for a selfie... March may be your time. If you have to go in the summer it is more of a vacation hike not as much a solo pilgrimage. No big deal, book with a tour company jacotrans your pack and enjoy! It's your camino!

Yep a little consideration goes a long way. that was my point about not being a part of the up at 4 crowd. Making noise before 6am and after 10 pm is part of the kind considerate hospolitaleros request of the albergues on the camino. If one is unable to stay quiet due to ones inability to afford accommodation or take time off maybe the camino albergue concept is not for someone. it is hot in spain in the summer. hundreds of thousands of people do the camino in the summer. in summer it is no longer really a holy pilgramage when filled with people making human trains carrying flags yelling across the landscape to each other and flying 2 drones around the cruce de ferro at sunrise. yes this happened to me today and a week ago at the cruce. there is no one way to walk the camino. in fact there are hundreds of thousands of ways. if you want peace from the folks planking off the cruce for a selfie... March may be your time. If you have to go in the summer it is more of a vacation hike not as much a solo pilgrimage. No big deal, book with a tour company jacotrans your pack and enjoy! It's your camino!
There is truth in what you say , sometimes the Camino is a “spring Break” and many times is a reflective challenge. I prefer the reflection.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi you forgot to put down taking up all the washing line space,and heavy snoring, is there anything else

in summer it is no longer really a holy pilgramage when filled with people making human trains carrying flags yelling across the landscape to each other and flying 2 drones around the cruce de ferro at sunrise....... If you have to go in the summer it is more of a vacation hike not as much a solo pilgrimage.
I couldn't disagree more. It is a pilgrimage at any time of year. Have you walked the Camino in the Summer? I guess you believe that the Camino was not a holy pilgrimage for the thousands who were on it each day during the peak of the Middle Ages. They must simply have been on their vacation.

€60,-
Getting up at 4 am. Why? There’s no bed race in March, it will be dark and by 3 in the afternoon you’ll have walked 40 km. Relax, appreciate the scenery and the company. It will also be brass monkeys cold at that time of the morning too.

Let's, once more, put this heat thing in perspective. Here's the average weather for Leon on Aug 3, historically the hottest day of the year.

"August 3 Weather in León Spain​

On August 3, the temperature in León typically ranges from 55°F to 80°F and is rarely below 49°F or above 88°F.

For reference, on August 3, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in León typically range from 55°F to 80°F, while on January 20, the coldest day of the year, they range from 32°F to 45°F.

The coolest time of the day is from 3:00 AM to 9:15 AM, with the coldest at 7:15 AM, at which time the temperature is below 58°F three days out of four, and below 61°F nine days out of ten.

The warmest time of the day is from 1:30 PM to 8:30 PM, with the hottest at 5:15 PM, at which time the temperature is above 75°F three days out of four, and above 70°F nine days out of ten.

The day has gained half its heat by 11:00 AM and lost it again by 10:30 PM."

And here's a 24 hour graph showing average temps for August 3.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 4.07.07 PM.png
At noon the average temp is 70 rising to 78 by 3:00. Most people replying to this thread report starting about 6:00 am. So, at the end of six hours of walking the average temp is 70. And 78 after nine hours walking. I saw this pattern repeatedly during last summer's week-long heat wave. The hottest time of the day is typically about 4:30-5:30--here is this historical record, the hottest time of the day was 5:15.

And here's 12-month average temps, from March when the average high is 43.6 to July/August when the average highs are 68.3.
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 4.27.32 PM.png

But, but the heat wave! Even during a heat wave (which we experienced in July last year--I wrote about it from Hontanas in a July, 2022 post), the morning to afternoon slope is pretty much the same, except for maximum temperatures at the 4:30-5:30 pm bewitching hour. Even during the heatwave last year when many people were leaving by 6:00, the temps had barely reached 80 by 1:00.

Assuming one can be comfortable in the average temp ranges in August 56.6 low to 68.3 high . . . well, more than an assumption I have to think everyone is comfortable at 68.3.

So, even with the occasional heat wave, it's simply a matter of avoiding walking mid to late afternoon. If you're leaving at 4:00 to 6:00 in the morning, that's 6-8 hours walking by noon which means you'll be sitting under an umbrella sipping a cold beer or sangria well before the hottest part of the day.

And here's the best part for the "Camino is too crowded crowd"--except after Sarria (and those damn Spanish school kids enjoying themselves and disturbing us), last year July was decidedly not crowded. Beds/rooms aplenty. Some days I barely saw 25 other pilgrims.

😳

Seriously?

I’m sorry, but all my years in southern Baja has left me jaded temperature-wise. On a typical August 3rd, the low may be 80°F, and I’m talking @5:30 or 6AM🤪

Quite a different latitude between Cabo and Northern Spain which has the same latitude as New York. It's just . . . well, science.
Yeah, I understand @ the latitude difference. I’m from the mid Atlantic region, a few hrs south of NY, and it still gets stinky hot and humid there during the “dog days” of summer. But I assumed (bad move on my part) when folks said heat wave, it meant higher than the 80s. My error 🤷🏽‍♂️

BTW, Los Cabos is often “a bit” cooler in summer as it is on our Baja “Finisterre” where the Pacific breezes moderate the temps somewhat. I live farther north (🤙🏽) and on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. The winds, when they do blow, are just hot coming off the the desert as they mostly do. Needless to say, winters are much nicer.

Thank you for the first hand info on temps there on the CF. It is very much appreciated.

Buen Camino

Yeah, I understand @ the latitude difference. I’m from the mid Atlantic region, a few hrs south of NY, and it still gets stinky hot and humid there during the “dog days” of summer. But I assumed (bad move on my part) when folks said heat wave, it meant higher than the 80s. My error 🤷🏽‍♂️

BTW, Los Cabos is often “a bit” cooler in summer as it is on our Baja “Finisterre” where the Pacific breezes moderate the temps somewhat. I live farther north (🤙🏽) and on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. The winds, when they do blow, are just hot coming off the the desert as they mostly do. Needless to say, winters are much nicer.

Thank you for the first hand info on temps there on the CF. It is very much appreciated.

Buen Camino
I simply love Mexico. Been down the Baja peninsula and to Cabo San Lucas many times, although I have come to really appreciate the old town part of San Jose del Cabo. In the past 15 years, I have settled on San Miguel de Allende as being my favorite Mexican town--although virtually any of the colonial towns are great. I imagine you're fluent in Spanish. I thought my Mexican Spanish would get me by on the Camino, but I was pretty well flummoxed by Spain Spanish. Gotten better over time, but I still seem to hear and comprehend Spanish in Mexico far better than I do in Spain, but I'm working on getting better.

But I assumed (bad move on my part) when folks said heat wave, it meant higher than the 80s. My error 🤷🏽‍♂️
By the way, I don't think you're in error. II don't know what the actual definition of a heat wave is as it pertains to Spain, but 80+ and into the 90's definitely happens during a heat wave--there was one in early to mid June last year as well as later in July. But again, with the peculiar time zone anomaly there, it would be rare to see much above 80 before the afternoon

I simply love Mexico. Been down the Baja peninsula and to Cabo San Lucas many times, although I have come to really appreciate the old town part of San Jose del Cabo. In the past 15 years, I have settled on San Miguel de Allende as being my favorite Mexican town--although virtually any of the colonial towns are great. I imagine you're fluent in Spanish. I thought my Mexican Spanish would get me by on the Camino, but I was pretty well flummoxed by Spain Spanish. Gotten better over time, but I still seem to hear and comprehend Spanish in Mexico far better than I do in Spain, but I'm working on getting better.
Very good! Baja is magical, but like all things everywhere, it is changing. San Lucas and San José were sleepy fishing towns when I moved to BCS in ‘96. Now they rival Cancun and the Riviera Maya for the # of turistas visiting and ex-pats moving in, at least part-time. Anyway, we probably shouldn’t take up space going on about México here. Feel free to contact me on the private wire or whatever it’s called. We can charlar más if you’d like.

As far as a the definition of “heat wave” in Spain, I’ve no idea either, but also remember reading about the “ola de calor” in June and July last year that you mentioned. I know it caused havoc in SW France (fires) as well. My first Camino is still in the planning stages, but I’m leaning towards the cooler times from April-early June or the Fall. From all that I’ve read and learned these last few months from the good folks here on the forum, I believe that would be more to my liking.

🇲🇽

The bigger danger lies in tripping on rocks in the darkness-even with a headlamp. Be careful.

Walking alone real time on the camino. Early start in the rain arzua. It is not hot and in 30 days only one day above 78 degrees. Started early for reasoning below as I am inside sarria

‐--------

Posts about not being holy misinterpreted.. not as easy to be holy with gangs of people yelling to each other carrying flags racing to the albergues taking all the beds etc.

Hence go in march as a suggestion to be more able to keep it a holy pilgramage.

The stats bear out my point on ivar. A much lower percentage do it for religious reasons. More now do it as a long well supported tourist walk across Northern Spain or for other reasons. To lower the exposure to the non pilgramage pilgrims with roller bags and yoga pants my suggestion is march.

It's your camino.

Make it a good one

Buen camino
View attachment 20230424_113729.mp4

Last edited:
I agree with others on lack of crime. You may be surprised by the temps and not feel the need to leave that early. Your biggest issue will be missing the arrows and heading in a wrong direction.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I greatly appreciate all this activity. Thank you, all! Good thoughts, good energy. My situation might be unique. I have a medical condition whose medication raises my body temperature. Plus, I am 80 years old. Here in the PNW of the US I will train in shirtsleeves in temperatures in the high 30s F! I know I will acclimate and look forward to that but in the meantime I need to account for the major energy loss that accompanies overheating. Of course I will incorporate all the offered suggestions for cooling but I need to be prepared if they are insufficient.
Thank you, Ivar, for changing the title of this thread!!!
Buen Camino
I walked last July and quite a few pilgrims were leaving between 4-5 to beat the heat- some were able to slip out so quietly by having their bag prepacked the night before.
I think you will have very chilly/cool mornings in May that early as I often needed long sleeves in July before the sun. I generally left later than 6, but 5 a few times and did find others on the Camino so it felt "safer". I left very early on the last day to Santiago and the trail was packed with others doing the same. I also left at 5 on my last day to Finisterre, and felt just nervous because my phone wasn't working, it was very dark, and very few pilgrims.
Once I could not find the Camino (it was on the other side of a hedge!) but I heard footsteps and made it there. Make sure you download a good Camino app like Camino Ninja which shows if you stray off course.
The night sky is as breathtaking as the sunrise.

I love hearing that you're 80 and doing this! Buen Camino!!

I walk early (not 4am early) to avoid the sun and heat. I'm very fair, and dont cope with the heat as well as some.
I find it quite cool in the mornings, and I'm able to walk quite fast. I get more kms to the hour earlier than later.
I walk with a headtorch and have extra reflective tape on my pack.
I've been barked at by dogs (I've never been afraid of them), and have sometimes encountered jubilant/upset football fans - but have never feared for my safety.

(Also arriving early gives your washing longer to dry)
Weirdly too, I've never taken a wrong turn when walking early, maybe I'm more vigilant, every time I got a bit lost it was broad daylight.

If you carry a light weight UV resistant umbrella you carry your own shade with you. This allows you to take off your hat and enjoy cool breezes on your head. When it is too windy to manage the umbrella I soak my hat in every fountain I pass. Buen Camino
I like soaking the hat. Did that on a different hike and it was effective and amusing

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino
Many time there is low humidity on the Camino , but strong sun glare

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back