• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety for single female pilgrim?

Sue lang

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2017)
Any concerns for a single female (fifties) traveling on the route in September?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Sue, I (sixties) walked the Le Puy route solo May 2017 and never felt unsafe. There were stretches where I did not see many other walkers and sometimes there were more. In the evenings there were always other people at the gites. I loved this route and cannot wait to get back.

I have walked from the Pyrenees to Santiago three times and from Tui to Santiago twice. the only thing I am afraid of is is young men thundering past on bicycles, in fact they have me terrified at times.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Felt safe walking alone from most of the times when my friend and I split up from Sarria to St. James, but you see some stragglers along the way and some big and small groups. Met a Spanish lady along the way and ended up walking together until the final journey. And i was 63 then.

I've never had any issues...also, one's personal safety radar is wonderfully amplified when on the "Way"...There is an abundance of kindness and goodwill --trust your instincts Sue -five decades worth. I enjoy walking alone, but if you feel there are times you would prefer company then set it up for yourself during the day or the night before. Alternatively, wait or catch up to other pilgrims. The magic is being mistress of your own journey. Buen Camino! I am walking (again) August and September!

The Camino Frances is trending toward a 50/50 split of men/women. I perceived that the Le Puy route had more women than men, but I don't have statistics to prove that. Honestly, I think women are treated better in France than Spain. Spain still has a lot of male dominance, though I have not perceived that it is rampant among pilgrims. I think the problem is more the locals and historic culture. I think both routes, actually all routes, are safe for women; probably safer than one's home town.

On the Forum, I don't think I have heard a sexual harassment complaint about the Le Puy route, but there are regular complaints about routes in Spain. Even those complaints are in proportion to over 150,000 women a year walking into Santiago!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, I felt safe walking on my own last year (am in my sixties). However, I did have about 5 days walking without seeing other people. If you want company, you can try the websites: afriendonthecamino or Camigas. Buen camino

I walked the Le Puy route in my late fifties; no issues at all. September is quite a popular month for retirees walking, so you will find the lodgings well-filled and many pilgrims at each evening's dinner table. You may think you are walking alone, until you stop for lunch and watch the pilgrims passing by.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sue, I too am usually a solo female walker. I've just finished walking the San Salvador, and before I set off, I did seriously wonder what would happen if I had an accident somewhere on the way, when there was no-one around and no phone signal. I reasoned that if I had organised accommodation for the night, then hopefully someone would be aware that I was not where I should be. And I planned to text my family every evening too - though I had also told them not to get worried if there was no text one evening as it might be that there was no phone signal. Reviewing my trip, I'm still not sure what would have happened if I had suffered an accident, as it was not possible to reserve ahead at either of the two albergues in the more mountainous area.

On the Le Puy route, you will be reserving accommodation in advance every night, so hopefully that will alert people if an accident happens.

I use app LocaToWeb which is a gps app that does not require a constant signal.

It posts your track when it can, so your approximate lady location is always visible.
It will also send an email with your track reference to your chosen contact.
Just create a new track each day and you will also have a record of your Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from Le Puy to Conques last Sept/Oct. I never felt unsafe. I joined up with a group for a few days-- though they walked at a different pace than I did, and we often separated during the day, to meet up (perhaps) in the evening. I also took a variant to Bonneval, and was alone for a few days. It was beautiful, if a bit lonely. I had a happy and unplanned reunion with the first group I met in Le Puy in Conques. :)

I have no concerns, with awareness and metal hiking poles. My 3rd camino, alone, yet, we're never really alone. If feeling uncomfortable, just slow down/speed up or wait till others come and walk near or with them! Pay Attention to your gut feelings, and call on your Divine (unseen) team.
I just remembered that I purchased a small, pink,"anti-attack spray" that clips on the belt/waistband for this camino! There if I need it! But not in the way. for Dogs,2/4 legged : )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sue lang,

I walked alone and was ok. In September, there will be lots of pilgrims. Quite often as you walk you'll appear to be alone yet pilgrims will often be right around the corner.

Buen camino, all will be well

You could keep an eye out for two Aussies and a Canadian walking the route September 3 till October 12 . We were supposed to be a group of 12but only 3so far. So would be glad of extra company. If you want extra contact details contact me again

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola @Sue lang;
Until the event of April 2015 I would have said that the Camino Frances was possibly the safest place in the world. So what advice do I offer? Follow your basic instinct (female intuition?). If you look back through these pages you will see reports of my fellow males behaving badly, but please do not let these reports put you off. If you are walking in an area covered by those (recent) reports, I feel certain that if you ask another woman to walk with you, she would be happy for the company. Wishing you a true Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back