• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety from lisbon-sdc for 19 yr old female

Ali Mac

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2015, Camino Portugese May 2016
Hi all
This past summer I did the Frances solo and didn't have any trouble with safety. I largely stayed with other people, especially after Astorga or when it was dark, and was very cautious and anxious when I was on the route without other pilgrims in sight. I certainly felt the safety in numbers.
I'm doing the Portugese route this summer, starting in Lisbon around May 11, and know that it will be significantly more sparce than my trek on the frances in lasy July. I have a friend coming along iwth me for part of it, but I'm not sure which portion or for how long.
I'd love to hear from other people who have done the portugese recently from Lisbon in May/June:
How many other pilgrims were on the way?
I've read a few threads that claim the portugese is not at all safe for females until porto, for anyone who has done the portugese, do you agree? Why or why not? Is there a part in particular that I should ask that my friends joins me for.
Thank you for the help fellow pilgrims xx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the caminho Portugues in May 2013 from Lisbon.
Indeed it is less populated than the Porto to Santiago leg but never had an idea of unsafety.except for the traffic sometimes. Sometimes you walk alongside roads where cars and trucks are driving but by wearing a fluorescent safetyjacket , you can be prepared to be less invisable. And some evil small terror dogs. Keep your pacepoles ready to keep them away from you.
You definitively will meet other pilgrims on your walk.
Keep an eye on this forum. There is a subforum where you can write when you are starting and can see when others are starting. Make contact with them.
Furthermore Vialusitana , the Portuguese caminho association ,has a 24 /7 alarm telephonenumber with english speaking people. They have a website and on this forum they are mentioned regulairy with the phonenumber.
Make a study of the stages and where you can stay for the night.
Take a cellphone with you and have phonenumbers ready to use of the places you are going to stay. Everything you can find on this forum so read back for a while and be prepared
Is is a beautifull walk.
I skipped one stage-Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja by taking the commutertrain due to walking on the hardshoulder of a busy road but it can be by now that there is a detour through a more green zone along the Tejo river. They spoke about it some time ago but never read about it since then. The Brierley guide 2016 should have significant updates .and Peregrina2000 aka Laurie Reynolds made an excellent guide of the Lisbon to Porto leg, to be downloaded on this forum.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
I do not think you will have any difficulties. Just use the techniques you developed on the Frances and you will be fine.

In the morning, try to start out walking with a small group if feasible. Do carry a loud whistle. Do have a mobile phone so you can call for help, for any reason. The emergency number is still 112. Do not worry.

The people in Portugal are very friendly and willing to do anything to help. Also, I found that more of them speak at least some English, as opposed to Spain. A fellow explained to me when I walked the coastal route last April that all foreign TV is shown in the original language with subtitles, in Portugal, unlike Spain and France. This accounts for the low penetration rate for English in Spain and France, for example. As a general rule, I found this to be the case across Europe.

My favorite Portuguese phrase, whenever meeting new people or going into a shop was "Perdon, falla Inglese...?" This is phonetic, but means "Pardon me, but do you speak English.: More often than not, in Portugal the answer was "a leetle..." (again phonetic). If a shopkeeper or clerk did not speak English, they promptly grabbed a friend or co-worker who did.

Leaving Lisbon, consider riding the train to Santarem to overshoot the industrial suburbs to the north. Many pilgrims do this to give their pilgrimage a jump start. Get your first stamp at the Cathedral in Lisbon, then had for the train station. I like Oriente.

Similarly, when approaching Porto and leaving Porto consider using buses or the wonderful Metro to skirt the soulless walking through industrial estates and scrub terrain. Others have a different opinion of this. But I see no problem in leap-frogging where appropriate to conserve time, possibly improve security, and keep the scenery in the high end. I started at the Cathedral on the hill, getting a sello.

Just outside the northern side of the Cathedral , you will see a set of arrows, BLUE to Fatima, and YELLOW to Sanitago. Follow the yellow arrows and directional marking at al times in Portugal, else you will end up in Fatima.

I walked down the hill to the Metro station and rode the BLUE line to Matoshinos (the Mercado stop). You exit the train walk up on the bridge and across the river at the industrial port. This leads to the coastal route. I confess to not being certain how to exit Porto for the inland routes. But, I am sure you can sort that out.

No, you will no have a problem. The Portuguese Camino is wonderful.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The people in Portugal are very friendly

No they're not. They're unbelievably friendly. Most of the young people spoke English.
We even had one lady close up her shop and walk us to the laundrette we were trying to find.

I only walked from Porto so I can't comment on the earlier section.

Bom Caminho

Hi, Ali.
I believe you will enjoy the Caminho Português from Lisbon. I do recommend both guides books written by Laurie (Peregrina 2000) available on this forum in resources, which includes a precious document "how to short the long stages from Lisbon to Porto" if it's the case. And also, John Brierley 2016 guide book edition with many updates. Although, exiting Lisbon by train to Azambuja or Santarém might be a smart decision to start your Caminho, as you skip all the industrial area, and where the country sides walk starts.
Bom Caminho
Mario

i walked it in september 2014, so I'm not sure that'll be much help, except to say that the weather was great. Leaving Lisboa you may, or may not, run into some people walking to Fatima (the blue striped trail). It is fairly empty, but I think overall it is pretty safe for a young (or not young) woman - there are a couple of semi-remote areas, which are beautiful, but again, they're kinda remote. You won't meet many people, unless things have changed. The good news is that the albergues are great up to near Porto - pretty new and you may even have your own room and shower. The bad news is that they're kind of far apart. Be prepared for tons of cobblestone walking, which can do murder on your feet. Tomar was my favorite stopover between Lisboa and Porto, but most people, I think, like Coimbra more - it is a university town, so for a 19 year old, that might be your preference. One other thing - as a 19 year old, I think you might prefer a more 'social' camino, so you might consider ditching the Lisboa to Porto part and just start at Porto, which is more or less a mini-Camino Frances.

Have fun but please be careful!

PS - Brierley's book between Lisboa and Porto is not very helpful, but is good after that.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all
This past summer I did the Frances solo and didn't have any trouble with safety. I largely stayed with other people, especially after Astorga or when it was dark, and was very cautious and anxious when I was on the route without other pilgrims in sight. I certainly felt the safety in numbers.
I'm doing the Portugese route this summer, starting in Lisbon around May 11, and know that it will be significantly more sparce than my trek on the frances in lasy July. I have a friend coming along iwth me for part of it, but I'm not sure which portion or for how long.
I'd love to hear from other people who have done the portugese recently from Lisbon in May/June:
I've read a few threads that claim the portugese is not at all safe for females until porto, for anyone who has done the portugese, do you agree? Why or why not? Is there a part in particular that I should ask that my friends joins me for.

i walked the CP from Lisboa to SdC alone. In May as well.
and the only Creep moment was a 1km stretch on a detour before Padron (along side a river) and encountering a moronic penis-dangler a few KM prior to SdC. after which i've promptly alerted some local coppers. have written about it in some of my posts.

and i would still say that i felt "safe" walking alone for all the sections other than the ones i mentioned above. but I am no fool either . and I am 180cm tall and can sport a pretty 'don't mess with me' face if i put me mind to it .... (i'd call it something else, but not on this forum :)
that being said, I am not subscribing to the notion that life is 'safe' - a casket in a tomb might be safe, but life?? life is ALIVE ... and all sorts of things can happen. who's to know?
use common sense. extra portions. - trust your intuition - if you have a good one!

i would not walking after nightfall - not because it's on the portuguese camino - but mainly because i don't traipse around the local hills here after nightfall either if i were alone. local friends had also advised me against it.

it's a most wonderful time to be on the caminho - wildflowers are a riot ...

Bom Caminho - C

Hey Ali,

Good to see that you've found this forum, folks here have a wealth of information and experience. I remember when I first met you, Lilly and I were trying to secure a room a day or two before Leon and in you walked in trying to do the same. Even though rooms were a scarce commodity that night you turned down rooming with someone you weren't comfortable with. You've good instincts, trust them.

I'll be a couple of month's behind you this summer and yes perhaps the Via Fran together in 2017!

Bom Caminho
Gary

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all

Hi Ali Mac
I also start from Lisbon in May but May 12. Perhaps we will see each other?? I am also a single female but slightly more 'mature' years. See you on the way! Mel

Hi - I walked the Camino Frances last May/June which was amazing and also solo. Starting the Camino de Portuguese on April 19th this year, although decided to meet up with a lady I met on the Camino last year. However, I anticipate spending some of the time 'solo' - Can't wait.

Hi Ali. Walked Lisbon to Porto June 2014 and Porto SdC June 2015. You will find P to SdC much quieter than Frances and L to P even quieter still. In 2014 the weather had been bad and many, I am told, took to the train which follows the camino. I met other females walking alone. The route near Asambuja has changed and away from the road. I walked to Oriente Station on day 1, metro back to centre, then day 2 metro to Oriente to continue camino to Vila Franca de Xira. Hostal DP
had just reopened. Excellent - see www.Booking.com Bom caminho, Alan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I live in Lisboa, so for me it's very easy to say 'no problems'.
The Caminho between Lisboa and Santarém is getting much better now. A new albergue will open this Easter just 20 km from the Cathedral, half-way into Vila Franca de Xira in Alpriate. And you can also sleep now between Azambuja and Santarém on the parish house in Valada or in some private rooms there too.

Stripey socks and Ali Mac, I plan to start from Lisboa on the 10th May, I see you are both later, but I am a slow walker. But I will keep looking for "slightly more mature years" with pink stripey socks.
Alot more than "slightly more mature years"
mal

Hi
I walked over Christmas and had three interactions with men that were quite unsafe.
The path is a lot less populated and I would suggest taking care.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
I walked over Christmas and had three interactions with men that were quite unsafe.
The path is a lot less populated and I would suggest taking care.

Can you tell us the sections/areas that you experienced this please EmNz? Just to be forewarned. thanks

Stripey socks and Ali Mac, I plan to start from Lisboa on the 10th May, I see you are both later, but I am a slow walker. But I will keep looking for "slightly more mature years" with pink stripey socks.
Alot more than "slightly more mature years"
mal

See you on the way mal kiwi!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am starting from Lisboa on 22/4/16 and going via the coastal route to Porto, if anyone wants company. I am travelling with my friend.

Well, I live in Lisboa, so for me it's very easy to say 'no problems'.
The Caminho between Lisboa and Santarém is getting much better now. A new albergue will open this Easter just 20 km from the Cathedral, half-way into Vila Franca de Xira in Alpriate. And you can also sleep now between Azambuja and Santarém on the parish house in Valada or in some private rooms there too.
Novedades ,novedades ! Can't wait to to walk From Lisbon over again, now without all improvisations. However we coped with all the challenges to find a bed every night again it looks like this part of the caminho is getting more pilgrim friendly.

Abraço !

I am starting from Lisboa on 22/4/16 and going via the coastal route to Porto, if anyone wants company. I am travelling with my friend.
Myself and a friend called Catherine (who I met on the Camino Frances last year) are starting on 19/4/16 from Lisbon - maybe we will meet?

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back