• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety on the Camino

SuperGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 8th Sept 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago on 24 Sept 2018
Hola Amigos!

I've just booked my flights so no turning back now! I plan to walk the Camino from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela in 17days. My itinerary works out at averaging 42km per day. I know this is going to be extremely tough but I really wanted to do at least 2 weeks of adrenalin pumped walking and have a maximum 16 days (well 17 it had to be!) to do it in. So here I go....eeeeeeeee!!!! Apart from the obvious fears of how many blisters, aches and pains will be inevitably dealing with. Walking at this pace - some days up to 50kms will probably mean I'm walking the afternoons on my own, as a young girl should I avoid walking on my own though? Thanks in advance for any advice :))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Despite some very bad incidents, overall the Camino Frances is very safe.
Walking 40-50 kilometres a day will definitely mean that you will be alone on the Camino quite a bit in the later hours of the afternoon and early evening, as (from what I have observed) most pilgrims are at the albergues by 1:00-2:00 pm. Most, not all.
Hope you have a buen Camino.
cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Holy Moly, you must be a super girl, striving off for a 40km per day target. We average 30t per day for 4 to 6 weeks. Have done 50 in a day but not something I would recommend as it takes it out of you to do this day after day, even my daughter struggled to keep up.

I know you are young and fit and have limited days but your biggest danger could be youthful enthusiasm. All power to you.

Huh, that's something, 40-50km/day!!!

I think the biggest safety concern would be yourself and not the others. Sorry, I can't say anything about your abilities but still walking these kind of distances everyday it's something like very extended army march. But I feel kind of entitled to say this, walked 10 different Caminos (and being a climber in my earlier days), you won't have much of that "Camino spirit" also. You will walk "alone". Is it too late to reconsider this plan? I mean the Camino is such a beauty in itself, with all the different people, energy, places... Why sporting through it?

Just saying. And Buen Camino of course :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi SuperGirl,
I think it is natural to have fears. Last year was my first time trekking the Camino and I surprised myself because I was generally one of the first few folks out of the Albergue every morning which meant I was walking in the dark and many times by myself. One day it was literally pitch black and I had to use the light from my iphone to see in front of me. Truth be told, I felt nervous a few times early into the journey because there was no one in sight and sometimes i felt pretty isolated. I learned, however, during these early mornings, I'd usually spot someone within a half hour or hour most as many times, you will start to run into folks from other towns just getting started. Of course, I could have avoided this isolation by just leaving a bit later.
One of the things I brought with me was a small pocket knife and pepper spray. It gave me confidence when I needed it, albeit there was never an occasion to use either except the knife to use as a utensil.
I met a woman from England who hikes the Camino every year and she laughed telling me how she came prepared with battle armor the 1st time she trekked the Camino and now she leaves it all behind. Overall, I felt very safe on the Camino and I like to walk solo most of the time. Again, it's a bit rare to trek without seeing anyone.

I respectfully recommend against the distances you think you will do. 30 km daily is a more reasonable distance, at least IMHO. But, you will develop a pace once you start out.

Some years back, I recall reading one account in a book, of a fellow from Canada who walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port, fueled by Mars bars and Coke, in only 20 days. But, why?

Doing so many km daily, you are focusing more on the destination than the journey. Most of us have come to realize that the journey IS the destination. Paying attention to everything around you, learning, absorbing, reflecting, meditating, appreciating, interacting, learning more, etc.

It truly is a remarkable life-affecting experience. Like a fine wine or painting, one should savor it, drinking and drawing in the entirety of the experience. This necessarily takes more time than a passing glance as you rush by to attain your daily distance goal.

But, this said, I wish you well on your journey.

Personal safety is not an issue, per se. Walking alone is, or can lead to unpleasant situations. Walking with or near others solves this concern. My advice for single walkers, both genders, is to seek out walking partner(s) from where you stayed last night and ask them if you can 'tag along' with them for the day.

This does NOT mean they are your new best friends. They are just fellow pilgrims headed in the same direction, whose names you may know, and who you will keep in either eyesight or hearing distance as you walk. They become your daily 'safety net' or backup.

Should you feel worried during the day, you can either speed up or slow down to walk with these folks, or blow your whistle...you ARE carrying a whistle for signalling? Even I carry one... If you were to fall off a trail injured it is a standard method for summoning help. Three long blasts, followed by three short, and repeat.

However, if you walk the 'jet-propelled' pace you envision, it is not likely you are going to find a fellow 'rabbit' to accompany you. Just sayin... I understand that you have limited days to do this, but there are other alternatives to cover the distance.

Another way to cover the distance is to leap-frog over sections that appear less appealing to you. All along the Camino Frances, there are bus services connecting most all the standard towns. So, if you wanted to walk from Pamplona to Logrono, then bus to Burgos, it is easily done.

I sometimes use this method to skip a day or half-day walking into or out of a large city. The large industrial belts of warehouses, highways and big box stores surrounding some of them suck the enjoyment out of my day, at least IMHO. So, I will sometimes take a morning bus from the previous night's town and just avoid these sections. Over the entire route, you can recover several days doing this.

Just FYI, in the Brierley guide book, these industrial areas are shaded light grey.

The sole restriction to keep in mind is that, to qualify for the Compostela once you reach the Pilgrim Office at Santiago, you MUST walk the FINAL 100 km on any route into Santiago. Over this 100 km or so segment (118 from Sarria actually) you must get TWO SELLOS / stamps daily. Before that, one per day is acceptable.

Also, if you do persevere and DO walk from Sarria to Santiago in only 2 - 3 days instead of the normal five days, expect to be grilled by Pilgrim Office staff. Folks who cheat commonly show up with stamps covering really, really fast transit times from Sarria. Even those with many stamps per day are questioned to determine their veracity. They are always taken aside and questioned about specific architectural detail, places that one cannot miss in each town along the way, statues, cafes, churches, tourist places, etc.

My advice, even if you DO speedily walk your Camino, SLOW DOWN when you get to Sarria. Allow a minimum of four days. For most of us, once we hit Sarria, we do not WANT to arrive at Santiago. Yet, that town is the signal that the end is coming.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on...

Last edited:
Hola Supergirl!
I love your enthusiasm. I will be walking the Camino Frances September 2019 with a good friend so I am not talking from experience here. However, I have read (at a conservative estimate) about 20 books by pilgrims who have walked the entire Frances. Each experience is different as we are all unique - however, almost all the accounts mentioned that the Camino was physically more challenging than they had anticipated. Even those who had many years hiking mountainous trails were beset by blisters and some niggling aches and pains which made for some long and painful days. IMHO the best advice (as other's have said) is take one day at a time - listen to your body - don't be too hard on yourself or disappointed if you don't manage to reach your goal - if that is the case I'm sure the Camino will provide other gifts for you. I look forward to hearing of your adventures. Buen Camino pellegrina!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back