• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety

K

karenfromcali

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to begin my first camino from SJPP in march 2014. I am a female who is almost 50. and will be travelling alone. I'm a bit (lot!) worried about safety as I understand there are fewer pilgrims at this time of year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Karen :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've just completed 1600kms on The Camino Podiensis, Frances and Portugal, I'm 63yo and never travelled alone before. It was a marvelous experience, I felt safe at all times and was only alone when I wanted to be. I too felt apprehensive but not now. I'm confident you'll have a similar experience. There's lots of single people walking and you'll soon make friends. I walked Astorga to Santiago last year with four friends and as good as it was, it was better to do it alone. I hope you have a wonderful time. Angela

Hi Karen!
You'll be fine - especially on the Frances where there will be many other pilgrims who will form part of your 'camino family'.
I LOVE the camino family!! But I only walk the quieter caminos, because I prefer solitude, time to myself, time to appreciate the wonders of nature, time to think and, yes, time to pray.
Check the diaries and photo links on my website.
Age on the camino is totally unimportant.
Relax and enjoy!
God bless you, Karen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am a single female and having walked with others, I have walked alone on several caminos this past year, I have to say in many ways I prefer it. You are more open to engage with other people, both pilgrims and local inhabitants.

Also, sometimes walking companions like to tell you about their personal lives, or have conversations which take you 'away' from walking the camino. I didn't know if I would ever walk it again, so I wanted to be as fully present on the path and in the scenery as I could be, and this was often difficult with other people.

Of course, it is also good to have companionship, especially in the evenings or when it rains incessantly, otherwise one can start to ask oneself 'what is the point, why am I doing this?'

I never felt unsafe or threatened in any way. So, embrace the idea of solitude and you will enjoy the company of others even more.

dalston999 said:
embrace the idea of solitude and you will enjoy the company of others even more.

Thank you so very much for this beautiful quote, dalston. I feel the same, but could not express myself so exact.

Ultreia!

Fewer pilgrims in March means 40-50 per day instead of 800-1200! You will not be alone. Have fun!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Karen, may I ask what your specific concerns are? Is it being alone on the trail, alone in the albergues, traveling to the Camino on your own?

As people as said, you will not be entirely alone on the Camino, but that doesn't mean a woman traveling on her own won't have any fears or concerns. And women do have a unique view of things on this topic.

Here is something specifically on Women's Safety on the Camino: http://thecaminoexperience.com/womensafety.php

I hope it helps!

Buen Camino and enjoy your first Camino pilgrimage!!!

I've just booked my Camino for November 2013, I am 27 year old female. I too was worried about being lonely but I have been informed that in November there is still a fair few amount of pilgrims.

Good luck to you

Karen-- your question about safety is very appropriate because you should be concerned about Safety...weather safety, that is. If next winter is anything like the past, it could get rough and you need to prepare for the conditions.

March is still considered harsh winter in that region and I would plan to go the alternate route from SJPDP- the Valcarlos Route. A Safety Yellow/Orange Jacket for traffic should be in your MUST-HAVE list. The daylight hours are less and you need to plan accordingly.

As far as safety as a female solo traveler I would be less concerned about that. I found the Camino to be very safe and welcoming for female solo travelers. That said, there is safety in numbers, specially under risky weather conditions. You do not HAVE to walk in a group to ensure you will be within a safe earshot if the situation arises.

You will not be the only one on the Camino in March, just be careful. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate your replies.
Angela..1600km! lol. Hopefully I can manage 800! Thanks for your encouragement.

Stephen..I like the idea of some time is solitude, meditating and praying but as much as I would like this alone time I also like the security of a few people around. Thank you for your reply and God bless you also.

nreyn12..thanks for the link. I was concerned not so much about the getting there as the
vulnerability of being alone, even though it's also what I seek. Thanks for your help.

falcon..thanks! that really helped to know. I thought there would maybe only be 2 or 3 a day.

Caminoforme86..Bien Camino!

Olivares..thanks for the sound advice. I will do some research on preparation for the cold weather.
Karen :D

With pilgrims spread out among albergues each night, keep in mind that you may be alone with only one other occupant. In March, which is about as quiet as November, I spent three successive nights alone with a Swiss girl. I could tell she was pretty nervous early on, but we became good friends as the days wore on, walking in parallel, but not always together. You will need to evaluate your situation each day, and follow your instincts (but not your wild imagination). If a situation or person does not seem quite right, endure the physical discomfort of moving on a few kilometers. It will make your walk more serene.

Just a couple of practical notes: if you are carrying a sleeping bag, put your money, passport, phone, etc. in the foot of it when you sleep. Also, carry those valuables into the shower with you in a zip lock bag. I tied the bag with a bit of string fashioned into a loop which I then hung from a suction cup with a hook.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Practice common sense and you will be fine. The route of the Camino de Santiago Frances is safer than any equivalent stretch of trail in the United States. There are plenty of people around along the trail, and inside the albergues and villages, there are plenty of other peregrinos around. Eventually, you might end up moving as a group off and on with different people you meet. Only a few will you have to worry about at times, and that is the type that like to steal.

I envy your going! I already wish I was back.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back