• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety

Jules21

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi.
No doubt this question has been asked before.
I have planned to cycle Camino de
Frances in mid May. I am doing it alone. It’s an exciting but daunting prospect, but I want to be brave enough to see it through.
My question is will there always be people in sight when doing the Camino? My fear is to be alone in the middle of a vast open space and feel unsafe.
I’ve read about the odd assault on women / men flashing at you etc

How safe will I be? I am cautious and aware of my surroundings at all times, but I want to be relaxed and not fearful.

Many thanks.
J

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi.
No doubt this question has been asked before.
I have planned to cycle Camino de
Frances in mid May. I am doing it alone. It’s an exciting but daunting prospect, but I want to be brave enough to see it through.
My question is will there always be people in sight when doing the Camino? My fear is to be alone in the middle of a vast open space and feel unsafe.
I’ve read about the odd assault on women / men flashing at you etc

How safe will I be? I am cautious and aware of my surroundings at all times, but I want to be relaxed and not fearful.

Many thanks.
J

Safer than at home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are over 500 pilgrims per day in May, so you will not be alone. Most of them are on foot, so you will be speeding by, but they will be around. Courteous bicyclists will be on the roads that parallel the footpath at times, but they are only rarely very far apart.

Your path as a cyclist varies from the walkers considerably. You’re sometimes on the same path, sometimes on a parallel path within sight of each other, and sometimes on roads far from the walkers. Given that cyclists are perhaps 5% of pilgrims, you may be alone at times.

I’ve cycled in many countries, and Spanish drivers were consistently courteous and patient. The roadways were also in good shape with decent shoulders, though the path was occasionally on busier roads than I liked. I had no bad experiences, and I had several nice exchanges with local Spanish cyclists who offered advice and encouragement. Every cycling pilgrim that I spoke with had a similar experience to mine.

Several cities, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, etc. have long urban stretches, and I strongly recommend having a phone with a mapping application (I used Google maps & the Guthook app) to find your way through. I also took occasional alternate routes when the walker path was crowded and rocky.

I found a Spanish book on cycling the Camino in a Pamplona bookstore that had maps, suggested stages, and which sections of the path that were not rideable. I can’t remember the title after leaving it in SdC, but there can’t be many others. It also helpfully listed bike shops along the way since they were fairly scarce.

The main issue I found is that you’re a community of one since you move at a different pace than the walkers, and you never see the same ones for more than a night. Cyclists are so few and tend to go differing distances, so I mostly rode alone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your path as a cyclist varies from the walkers considerably. You’re sometimes on the same path, sometimes on a parallel path within sight of each other, and sometimes on roads far from the walkers. Given that cyclists are perhaps 5% of pilgrims, you may be alone at times.

That rather depends on the cyclist, their bike, and their personal choice of route. Over the years I've noticed a huge shift in cycling on the Camino. It used to be the case that most cyclists on the Camino had road touring bikes and stuck to broad surfaced paths and roads - often diverting from the yellow-arrow rough footpaths for much of the way. With the shift towards mountain and all-terrain bikes a lot of cyclists seem to regard following the marked footpath at all times as something of a personal challenge and rarely divert on to alternative routes.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back