• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sahagún or Burgos?

Jessica D

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2017)
Long time reader, first time posting!

I am walking the Camino Frances from May 4th to May 26th, giving me 22 days to walk the trail. I am in moderate shape and have been training when time allows.

After reading blogs and forums, I'm torn between walking from Sahagún (16 days) and Burgos (21 days) - these estimates are without rest days or mishaps. I'm worries that Sahagún may be too short of a journey, leaving me to finish early (though I could certainly continue to the coast), and Burgos may have me stressing to finish in time.

Any advice?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sahagún and continue to the coast. Like you said, you don't want to be stressing for time, and after Santiago you can decide whether to walk on to Finisterre/Muxia or not.

That said, I walked from Burgos to Santiago in 18 days, so either option is definitely doable.

Last edited:
Sahagún and continue to the coast. Like you said, you don't want to be stressing for time, and after Santiago you can decide whether to walk on to Finisterre/Muxia or not.
I'm with @trecile on this. But once you get to Sahagún walk backwards a few kilometers first to the Ermita Virgen del Puente and its nearby bridge. Also there is a portal that was erected recently to mark the halfway point of the Camino Frances, a great spot from which to start your pilgrimage Here are a few pictures of the place:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...dle-point-camino-frances-in-spain-sahagun.84/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-del-puente-xiithc-just-before-sahagun.5486/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/sahagun-half-way.5887/
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.370...3m2!1slUG_07z5i-r21CDPHjlYzQ!2e0?source=apiv3
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.370770,-4.999994&z=15&t=t1

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Burgos, and catch a bus or taxi to pick up a day or two if you are behind. Burgos is too nice to miss.
I agree 100% - and it's an easy train ride from Sahagún to Leon if you find that you need to skip a couple of days. I'd much prefer to spend my first Camino night in Burgos, rather than Sahagún.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am walking the Camino Frances from May 4th to May 26th, giving me 22 days to walk the trail. I am in moderate shape and have been training when time allows.

After reading blogs and forums, I'm torn between walking from Sahagún (16 days) and Burgos (21 days) - these estimates are without rest days or mishaps. I'm worries that Sahagún may be too short of a journey, leaving me to finish early (though I could certainly continue to the coast), and Burgos may have me stressing to finish in time.

Any advice?

Jessica:

Sahagun to Santiago is about a 16 day walk. Burgos is a 20 day walk.

Eliminate any stress and start in Sahagun. This will ensure you can make a continuous walk without having to skip ahead (bus or cab). One of the best aspects of the Frances is the people you meet along the way. So continuity, imo, is important. This will also give you some time in Santiago to catch up with others you met along the way.

The Sahagun option also gives you a day or two to deal with any unexpected issues or to just spend some time in your port of entry (ie: Paris, Madrid etc. etc.)

Finisterre, imo, is just a walk to the sea. If you are looking for seascapes and ocean views, walk the Norte.

Whatever you choose, I am sure will work for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jessica:

Sahagun to Santiago is about a 16 day walk. Burgos is a 20 day walk.

Eliminate any stress and start in Sahagun. This will ensure you can make a continuous walk without having to skip ahead (bus or cab). One of the best aspects of the Frances is the people you meet along the way. So continuity, imo, is important. This will also give you some time in Santiago to catch up with others you met along the way.

The Sahagun option also gives you a day or two to deal with any unexpected issues or to just spend some time in your port of entry (ie: Paris, Madrid etc. etc.)

Finisterre, imo, is just a walk to the sea. If you are looking for seascapes and ocean views, walk the Norte.

Whatever you choose, I am sure will work for you.

Ultreya,
Joe
Ho Joe,
I personally loved seeing Muxia and Finesterre, after walking for 5 weeks with very little water in the landscape. I bussed to Muxia, then after 2 vacation days, walked to Lires for a day, then walked on to Finesterre for another 2 vacation days. I loved the change! Then the next spring I walked the Norte as you suggest. :)

Lot's of options on the CF with 22 days of travel. Difficult to say one is better than the other.
Whatever you do, just remember when planning it out, that there are many, many transportation options on the CF. Buses, trains and taxis. You could start just about anywhere on the CF and walk and jump ahead easily and inexpensively.
ultreia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Any advice?
You have been given some great advice and I can understand you have a hard choice to make.

My thoughts are that in May about 1/3 of the days involve some form of rain. It might be a little or it might be a lot. Last year in May it was a LOT of rain. One of the things I enjoyed doing was some sight seeing and playing tourist. So I felt that between rain days that I didn't want to travel, rest days that I would need to keep from getting over-use injuries, and tourist days that I should reserve about 1/3 of my time for not being on the Camino.

Now, Burgos is sort of the financial capital of Spain and a wonderful city with a wonderful Cathedral and super museums. I highly recommend the museum of evolution or whatever it is called.

There is a very easy train ride from Sahagun to Leon if you find you are falling behind. Actually there are easy trains from Leon farther along, if you fall behind on your schedule. Remember that if it is forecast to be a heavy rain day and you are not into it, you can always take a train or the bus if there is nothing in the town that you want to do.

I think that the real question you need to determine is whether you need to get over any jet lag before you start and if so, how many days should you give yourself for that.

Whatever you decide, remember that the Camino will provide and that your plans will be not hold up past the first couple days. So be flexible and expect contingencies. Figure out how to enjoy your experience.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you all for your wonderful advice! If this is the vibe of the community on the Camino, I am a very lucky pilgrim indeed.

At this point, I am leaning towards starting in Burgos (especially after reading another thread about taking the bus straight from the Madrid airport - this will give me an extra day). I will skip ahead if time (or blisters) get the better of me.

Again, thanks! Buen Camino!

During my Camino when I saw people going back home because lack of time I always thought I would prefer to start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, walk as much as I can and then continue another year from that point. It is maybe because first two weeks I considered the best.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Burgos - easy to get to and the Magic Meseta is different to any other part of the Camino.

Burgos, definitely. Not only do you not miss Burgos, but you don't miss the first part of the meseta, either. It is sublime, and very special. But that's me. The meseta sings a siren song that I find irresistible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back