• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sahagun Certificate for Halfway point.

Camino Ariana

Camino Ariana
Time of past OR future Camino
Last year at the train in Sahagun someone had picked up a certificate for completion of the Half way point on the camino. Can anyone tell me if there is a pilgrim office there or where we could pick up the certificate.

Attachments

• Sahagun Certificate.jpg
    Sahagun Certificate.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 862
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year at the train in Sahagun someone had picked up a certificate for completion of the Half way point on the camino. Can anyone tell me if there is a pilgrim office there or where we could pick up the certificate.

The Iglesia de la Peregrina in
Sahagun issues such a certificate.
See more here--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/midway-certificate.35124/

and

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mid-way-point-on-cf.38633/

Buen camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do they sell document tubes to keep the certificate from getting damaged in your backpack in Sahagun?

Do they sell document tubes to keep the certificate from getting damaged in your backpack in Sahagun?
They do not but @ThirstyEric reported last year:
I got a cardboard folder/document holder at a store on the Plaza Mayor to carry the certificate, and it protected it pretty well. I believe the store was called a "Librario", and it had miscellaneous things including some office and school supplies. If you are passing through town, you would probably want to stop here first before the sanctuary, so you don't have to back track.​

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found the hours at a webpage in Spanish that translates to:

November to February it is open Tuesdays through Sunday 11-2 and 4-6:30
July to September it is open Monday through Sunday 11-2 and 5-8
The rest of the year it is open Tuesdays 4:30-7 and Wednesday through Sunday 11-2 and 4-7

The church (now a museum) is described on this Spanish Wikipedia page: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_la_Peregrina_(Sahagún)

Here is an interactive map showing the camino passing through Sahagun, the Ermita de la Peregrina and the location of the Plaza Mayor where you may be able to find something to protect the certificate: Link to map

Edit: The website supplying the map had to discontinue its service. The coordinates of the church are: 42.367773,-5.032471

You could try this link to choose viewing with a number of websites: https://tools/wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php=42_22_3_N_5_1_56_W

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The certificate (click to enlarge) and my translation:
img_4989.jpg
Let all know seeing this Pilgrim Certificate that
[name]
has passed through the Leonese lands of Sahagun,
geographical center of the Camino Frances,
where, as reported in the Codex Calixtinus,
"... prodigous in all types of goods,
one encounters the meadow, of which they say that in days gone by,
the shining lances that the victorious warriors
had thurst into the ground for the glory of the Lord came to life again."
and it further attests that
he has found rest for the fatigues of the body
and relief for the spirit.

The inhabitants of this noble town give him encouragement
to continue his camino and to arrive with safe passage
at the house of the Lord Saint James,
where we hope he retains a memory of the reception we have given him.

And for a record that can be presented
before whoever demands it
I sign this in Sahagun,
on the [day] of [month] of the year of our Lord [year]

The Mayor.

[name]

Jacobean
Pilgrims' Association
Region of Sahagun

- Leon -

Pilgrim Certificate [number]

---------------------

The story is that when Charlemagne (and Roland?) campaigned against the Moors in Spain there was a battle near Sahagun. The night before the battle the knights thurst their lances into the earth. In the morning the knights that were to die in battle that day found their lances had sprouted into trees showing them that they would have eternal life.

Cynics may say that the knights died in battle because trees make lousy lances.:rolleyes:

---------------------

The story of the lances is depicted in a stained glass window in Chartes Cathedral:

Chartes Cathedral's window depicting the legends of Charlemagne and Roland
http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_key.htm

Panel 09 - St James appears to Charlemagne in a dream
http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_Panel09.htm

Panel 15 - The Miracle of the Flowering Lances
http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_Panel15.htm

Last edited:
Passed through Sahagun last Wednesday and visited the Sanataurio la Peregrina. They charge 3 euro admission which covers the cost of your half-way certificate [on review of your credentials of course]. They also sell tubes at 1 euro a go, and new credentials at 2 euro. Definitely worth having.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Passed through Sahagun last Wednesday and visited the Sanataurio la Peregrina. They charge 3 euro admission which covers the cost of your half-way certificate [on review of your credentials of course]. They also sell tubes at 1 euro a go, and new credentials at 2 euro. Definitely worth having.
Do they really review? The wording on the certificate is like "this pilgrim passed through town" with no mention of distance.

Do they really review? The wording on the certificate is like "this pilgrim passed through town" with no mention of distance.
The young lady on the desk asked for my credential, which I gave her, she then asked where I started from then stamped [sello] it and put it to one side. I then spent some time walking around the exhibits and returned to pick up my completed certificate and credential. There wasn't a 'serious' review as you would expect in Santiago, but she did take a good look. I hope this helps.

An update for everyone.

We just obtained our half way certificate and stamp at the Biblioteca on the corner of the Plaza Santiago. (September 2021)

€3 per certificate and €1 for the tube.

Much easier than looking for a church with limited opening times (though not as nice).

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_182125.jpg
    IMG_20210920_182125.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210920_182102.jpg
    IMG_20210920_182102.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is NOT given there anymore, YOU MUST go to the Office of Tourism in Sahagun located in the Municipal Albergue. DO NOT go to the Iglesia THEY WILL TURN YOU AWAY!!!
KennB,
Thanks for your current update. My now out of date post was written in 2017. Hopefully pilgrims will follow your new correction.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back