• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sahagun - New Hostal

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked from SJPP to Burgos in 2017
Will begin Burgos to Compostela in May of 2018
Has anyone heard about a new "hospederia" opening in Sahagun?

Can anyone please tell me what a hospederia even is? Hostel, hostal, albergue??

Lastly, anyone have a recommendation to stay in Sahagun?

Thank you so much
Olivia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thank you so much
Olivia

A hospederia is accommodation often offered by a religious order. In Sahagun the Benedictines offer such from April to mid October. See more info here -- https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/sahagun/albergue-hospederia-madres-benedictinas

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in the HospederIa de la Abuela Lola in Castilblanco de los Arroyos on the VDLP, and it was not run by a religious order. It was like any hostal - private accommodation, with very comfortable single and double rooms, restaurant and bar, run by a family. It closed one day per week so maybe that put it in a different category.

The Albergue Municipal Cluny in Sahagun has always been sufficient for me. In 2003 a helpful pilgrim ticked this as one of the places to stay. It shares a roof with large hall. That night there was a choir performing for the public, pilgrims were allowed in free - MAGIC!
Arrive early by entering the door on the side. Choose your bed , do your washing , take a snooze and pay downstairs late afternoon.

Sorry, people. I should have posted here at the same time.
Hospederia Santa Cruz is a new project of the Marist Fathers missionaries. They are taking over running the novitiate and retreat house at the Madres Benedictinas convent, which was run as a hostel for the past few years. (The Benedictinas are still there!)

The website tells the story: It is a "5 euro suggested donativo" non-profit albergue, with additional double and single rooms at set prices, for those who want more privacy. It is a Christian operation, and will bring much-needed pilgrim Masses and blessings as well as opportunity for pilgrims to meet and talk with priests who speak several languages. Communal dinners, volunteer hospitaleros.

I worked with the Marists on the Camino Chaplaincy Meseta program. I have every confidence in their kind hearts and competence.

www.alberguesensahagun.es is the place to go for photos, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is a "5 euro suggested donativo" non-profit albergue
Just a hair short of not being donativo! I love the concept of donativo, but it seems to irritate those who provide it. I am still on the side that says "don't complain about 'free' if you won't set a price." The idea was pretty much dead several hundred thousand annual pilgrims ago. While it is hard to give up tradition and the past, it looks like we almost have. I am sure I have offended many, so l apologize in advance. I will always "like" the "donativo does not mean free" threads, as anachronistic as I may be.

Hospederia Santa Cruz is a new project of the Marist Fathers missionaries. They are taking over running the novitiate and retreat house at the Madres Benedictinas convent, which was run as a hostel for the past few years. (The Benedictinas are still there!)

The website tells the story: It is a "5 euro suggested donativo" non-profit albergue, with additional double and single rooms at set prices, for those who want more privacy. It is a Christian operation, and will bring much-needed pilgrim Masses and blessings as well as opportunity for pilgrims to meet and talk with priests who speak several languages. Communal dinners, volunteer hospitaleros.

I worked with the Marists on the Camino Chaplaincy Meseta program. I have every confidence in their kind hearts and competence.

thank you for clarifying. I ended up making reservations at Restaurante El Ruedo instead. :p

Thank you so much
Olivia
I dont know this place but is it not just a revamp of an albergue that is already there?

I dont know this place but is it not just a revamp of an albergue that is already there?
It sounds that way from all the replies. We aren't staying there. Decided to book somewhere else. Thanks though.

It is not "just a revamp" unless you are just looking for a cheap bed. This place offers a traditional welcome: communal dinners, a chance to talk to a minister and attend a pilgrim Mass, things not available til now in Sahagun. For pilgrims traveling with a religious intention, that's pretty large.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is not "just a revamp" unless you are just looking for a cheap bed. This place offers a traditional welcome: communal dinners, a chance to talk to a minister and attend a pilgrim Mass, things not available til now in Sahagun. For pilgrims traveling with a religious intention, that's pretty large.

Quite large! :) Thanks for the information. It sounds like a place I'd love to stop if the timing works out.

to clarify things up: there are now in sahagun an albergue run by the benedictinas AND a new albergue run by marist fathers both in the same building?

No. The Benedictinas have not run an albergue hands-on there for many years. They live in the same big building complex, but they are cloistered. Only a couple of them have contact with outsiders. The sisters let out unused sections of the building for use as an albergue. The Marists are using the let-out section of the building, replacing lots of furnishings, and adding services that were not available before. The Marists will have Masses in the evening in the Sisters´ chapel, which is breathtaking.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

@Rebekah Scott ,
I am currently planning to walk the camino de Madrid to Sahagun in the fall and would like to know when this albergue will close for the season, as I should very much like to stay there. Gronze says Oct. 12. which seems very early, but does not give any information on the new management, so there may be an update. I have not yet bought my air ticket and would like to see if I can fit this albergue into my camino. If you know their planned closing date, I should appreciate hearing it. With thanks for updating us on this changed service to pilgrims.
Mary Louise

@Rebekah Scott ,
I am currently planning to walk the camino de Madrid to Sahagun in the fall and would like to know when this albergue will close for the season, as I should very much like to stay there. Gronze says Oct. 12. which seems very early, but does not give any information on the new management, so there may be an update. I have not yet bought my air ticket and would like to see if I can fit this albergue into my camino. If you know their planned closing date, I should appreciate hearing it. With thanks for updating us on this changed service to pilgrims.
Mary Louise

In a word: I don´t know. They talked of wanting to keep it open all year, but there are only three priests over there, and the project is designed for four.
@Rebekah Scott ,
Mary Louise
@Rebekah Scott ,
Mary Louise

It sounds that way from all the replies. We aren't staying there. Decided to book somewhere else. Thanks though.
Might try it myself and since I dont do bookings I am pretty flexible. I may decide to stop at the town before Sahagun and walk right through the next day. The temptation to take a train to León is very strong :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone have a working email for this Albergue? I don't speak much Spanish so would find using the phone a bit daunting, and the contact form on their website doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Michio

Thanks @Albertagirl I'll give it a go, otherwise I'll probably go for Viatoris.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back