• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sahagun’s Benedictine Monastery

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Here is my shameless salute to the newly opened Benedictine Monastery in Sahagun. I hope it will become a “must to” stop like Granon. It is clean and welcoming, there are plenty of beds in dorms and private rooms, the Dia across the street allows pilgrims to buy and share salads, roasted chicken, empanadas and an assortment of wine. The Marist priests are engaging and mult-lingual. The pilgrims mass before dinner is a real treat. A great stop at the mid-point, not to be missed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thankyou ever so much for this thread.

My intention is to walk Camino again this September from Sahagun to Santiago . I have booked my tickets . It will be my third Camino and I have 4 weeks and I am flying into Madrid from Melbourne ,Australia.i will then take the train to Sahagun . I will absolutely look out for this Albergue in Sahagun .

I was wondering ..Can I please ask how I can find the Benedictine Monastery in Sahugun once I arrive there from Madrid via train ?

Do you have the street name or directions that you could tell me ?

Thankyou kindly

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Right turn out of the train station to town, join the Camino and the Monastery is almost at the end of town on the Camino near the wall. Dia across the street is down sort of an alley way.
The camino follows westward the Calle Antonio Nicolás and the monastery albergue is often marked on earlier maps as the Hospederia Monástica Santa Cruz.

Here is their current 2018 web with map--
http://www.alberguesensahagun.es/

Last edited:
You are both very kind . I appreciate it . Thanks a lot . Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is a very special place. I stayed there in April, just a few weeks after they opened, and my thoughts were the same as @biarritzdon , this may well become one of those special spots to be sought out. The warm, friendly welcome from the priest who greeted me made me feel immediately at home. The lovely historic facilities, the stunning church where mass is celebrated, and most of all the conversations, laughter, and fellowship at dinner and in the big living room for "coffee hour" with the priests and other pilgrims are treasured memories.

It is a very special place. I stayed there in April, just a few weeks after they opened, and my thoughts were the same as @biarritzdon , this may well become one of those special spots to be sought out. The warm, friendly welcome from the priest who greeted me made me feel immediately at home. The lovely historic facilities, the stunning church where mass is celebrated, and most of all the conversations, laughter, and fellowship at dinner and in the big living room for "coffee hour" with the priests and other pilgrims are treasured memories.

Can you tell me what stages you walked that brought you to this place for the night? It sounds lovely. I'm all about finding special places! But you have to be in the right town at the right time and have walked the right distance to arrive there! In what town did you stay the night before - where were you walking from, I mean. And then do you remember how far you walked the next day?
Thanks for the tip.
Lynne

Here is my shameless salute to the newly opened Benedictine Monastery in Sahagun. I hope it will become a “must to” stop like Granon. It is clean and welcoming, there are plenty of beds in dorms and private rooms, the Dia across the street allows pilgrims to buy and share salads, roasted chicken, empanadas and an assortment of wine. The Marist priests are engaging and mult-lingual. The pilgrims mass before dinner is a real treat. A great stop at the mid-point, not to be missed.

I'm going to check this place out. I love your description.
I have a question about the stages you walked that would have brought you to this place. I leave for my camino on Monday. That is my flight, and then I will start walking from Burgos on June 6. I have an idea of the my destination towns, but Sahagun was not going to be one of them....but now I'm wondering if it will be worth stopping. But you know, you can't plan to walk too far in a day, and you don't want to walk too short of a distance if you have a schedule to keep for a flight home! So timing is important.
That's why I'm wondering if you can give me idea of your stages that lead you to stay in Sahagun.
Thanks so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had been walking the Madrid and stopped to see Reb and Paddy in Moratinos, so my stage to arrive in Sahagun was a short one. I think a stage from Calzadilla las Creuza (sp? no guide book) would be reasonable and I have walked there following the Brierley stage in years past. That place has a pool.

I will start walking from Burgos on June 6. I have an idea of the my destination towns, but Sahagun was not going to be one of them....but now I'm wondering if it will be worth stopping.

Sahagun has an annual celebration of their local saint in June. The program for this year (in Spanish) is at
http://leonocio.es/event/fiestas-patronales-de-san-juan-de-sahagun/

For 2018 it runs through the 2nd through the 13th. I'd like to be there on Saturday the 9th. A number of events will be held at the local bullring.

A translation of part of the page is:
From June 2 to June 13 Sahagún celebrates its patron saint festivities in San Juan, several days in which nothing is missing, although perhaps the most characteristic and ingrained are its traditional running of bulls and ... , always very famous due to the importance of its posters In these days Sahagún becomes a lively and crowded place, both for the variety of their acts and for the quality of these, ... festivals, performances by well-known groups and musical performers, fireworks, etc ... they animate the days and nights, the hospitality and friendliness of its people invites to go to the village. Being able to observe also the charm of celebrations that have not lost many of the traditional features.​

My start from Burgos began with a morning bus ride up from Santo Domingo de Silos, so my stop was in Tardajos due to my late start. From there I did short stages of around 20 km.

Hontanas
Itero de la Vega
Población de Campos
Carrión de Los Condes
Ledigos
Sahagún

If I were to do it again, I would make a point of staying at either San Antón (before Castrojerez) or San Nicolás (before Itero de la Vega). Neither were reported to be open in April, although it turned out San Nicolás was, but I found out too late....

The stops in Población and Ledigos were convenient and had lovely albergues. However, after Sahagún, my criteria for what makes a really great albergue changed somewhat ;) and I began looking more for parochials.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a beautiful place and they were restoring some more of it while we were there. Don’t miss it!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back