• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sailing pilgrims?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I believe that you are referring to the group of men who sailed from Ireland to Coruña, and then walked with their boat all the way to Santiago. Does anyone have access to the original news report? I remember being so impressed by the madness and tenacity of "my people".

In 2016, 15 pilgrims are recorded as arriving in Santiago por vela. Academy dictionary seems to say that is by sailing. What does it mean? Page two of the official statistics.
It's been around for a few years but hasn't made it into the guidebooks yet. It means that these pilgrims have sailed at least the last 100 nautical miles (millas in Spanish) and walked something like the last 10 km on foot, for example from Monte Gozo. It's explicitly mentioned in the Cathedral's credencial, see https://oficinadelperegrino.com/peregrinacion/la-credencial/ , just have a look for yourself:
Untitled.jpeg

Anyone with a sailing boat can do this throughout the year but there is also a Spanish association who organises such a trip once a year during the summer. They are now in their third year, see https://www.sailtheway.es/informacion/

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2016 I was a hospitalière/ volunteer in the pilgrim gîte in the centre of Bordeaux. Jean- Louis who is responsible for the volunteers had just come back from Santiago.He ,along with a large group of the Bordeaux Association members had travelled in a tall ship called the Belém. They participated in the every day running of the ship,hauling up sails etc.However some of the pilgrims hadn' got sea legs and suffered from sea sickness for the duration of the journey to A Coruna.
One of the committee members ,a former seaman,had taken beautiful photos of their journey..As part of their itinerary they walked from Monte de Gozo to the Cathedral in Santiago.
I notice from their web site the Belem is sailing once again ,in June,this year to A Coruna.

In 2016 I was a hospitalière/volunteer in the pilgrim gîte in the centre of Bordeaux. Jean- Louis who is responsible for the volunteers had just come back from Santiago. He, along with a large group of the Bordeaux Association members had travelled in a tall ship called the Belém.
Thank you for this report. I had not realised that this is organised by or together with the pilgrims' organisation in Bordeaux. It must be a wonderful experience and it's really in the tradition of the medieval pilgrimages. This is what the Belém looks like:

BLOG-BELEM-4-1024x576.jpg

Sources:
Cap sur Compostelle
Fondation Belem

Last edited:
And thank you Katharina for the beautiful
photo.It is a short journey but costs a lot.Not much fun to be confined to a sick bed after having spent all that money.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's been around for a few years but hasn't made it into the guidebooks yet. It means that these pilgrims have sailed at least the last 100 nautical miles (millas in Spanish) and walked something like the last 10 km on foot, for example from Monte Gozo. It's explicitly mentioned in the Cathedral's credencial, see https://oficinadelperegrino.com/peregrinacion/la-credencial/ , just have a look for yourself:
Actually, that credencial quote says nothing at all about sailing, but other folks have provided the details.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Actually, that credencial quote says nothing at all about sailing, but other folks have provided the details.
What's not to understand about the word milla :cool: in the text of the Cathedral's credencial? And a bit further, just under the credencial photo with the text, the Oficina del Peregrino has spelled it out again and I quote:
  • La “Compostela” se concede sólo a quien hace la peregrinación con sentido cristiano: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivada por la devoción, el voto o la piedad) Y además se concede sólo a quien hace la peregrinación hasta la llegar a la Tumba del Apóstol, realizando íntegramente, al menos los 100 últimos kilómetros a pie o a caballo, los últimos 200 Km en bicicleta o 100 millas náuticas y últimos Km a pie.
Or in the English version of the Oficina del Peregrino's website and I quote:
  • The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
But I'm happy to read that other folks have provided the details for you. :):):)

I believe that you are referring to the group of men who sailed from Ireland to Coruña, and then walked with their boat all the way to Santiago. Does anyone have access to the original news report? I remember being so impressed by the madness and tenacity of "my people".
Here is one link with some video footage: http://www.anupictures.com/project/camino/

There's more to be found about their epic journey if you search for "Camino by sea" on Google or on this forum. Sadly, as you may well know, after they had landed in A Coruna and visited Santiago they continued their journey southward but the boat overturned near the Spanish-Portuguese border in Galicia and one of the members of the group, Danny Sheehy, lost his life, a tragic loss.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is one link with some video footage: http://www.anupictures.com/project/camino/

There's more to be found about their epic journey if you search for "Camino by sea" on Google or on this forum. Sadly, as you may well know, after they had landed in A Coruna and visited Santiago they continued their journey southward but the boat overturned near the Spanish-Portuguese border in Galicia and one of the members of the group, Danny Sheehy, lost his life, a tragic loss.

I had the good fortune to see this film last weekend at the Celtic Camino Festival in Westport, Co Mayo. Of all the Camino films I’ve seen, it’s the only one that that, for obvious reasons, does not focus on the scenery and the often imaginary solitude. Instead, it records the individual and collective effort of these inspiring men, the camaraderie, the music, the wise words, the mutual support, and the reception from the host communities at the various ports of call. Try to persuade your local Camino association to get hold of a copy so that you can see it too. When you see what these men went through, you’re unlikely to complain about a few blisters on your feet. I am deeply grateful to the Irish Camino Society for showing the film, and especially to the late Danny Sheehy for making the journey happen.

What's not to understand about the word milla :cool:in the text of the Cathedral's credencial?
I have no problem understanding that "millas" means miles. I also have no problem with "náuticas" = nautical. But if you look at the image I responded to, you should find it as difficult as I did to see the word "náuticas" in it.

you should find it as difficult as I did to see the word "náuticas" in it.
I noticed the omission fleetingly but felt that the meaning (ie nautical miles) was obvious due to the given context and the fact that we wouldn't mix kilometres and terrestrial miles in such a way in a single sentence.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is a short journey but costs a lot. Not much fun to be confined to a sick bed after having spent all that money.
Thank you again for the information you brought to this thread. This is another example, for me at least, where a question leads into unexpected and interesting areas. The Belem is a quite famous French three-master apparently, with a lot of tradition and history. The French entry in Wikipedia is more complete than the English one.

As an example, it costs 32 500 € to hire her and the 16 men crew for 3 days at sea and a "load" of maximum 48 pilgrims (the trip from Bordeaux to A Coruña is 5 days and more expensive) and it seems that they are not even for profit since there's a foundation to which you can donate. Their next pilgrimage trip to Compostela is in June 2018 and you need to be a member of a Saint James association if you want to participate. Below are the Compostela pilgrims from 2016 before their departure from France:

les-pelerins-de-saint-jacques-de-compostelle-embarquent-sur-le-belem.jpg

Source: article in SudOuest of 27 June 2016.

Last edited:
I noticed the omission fleetingly but felt that the meaning (ie nautical miles) was obvious due to the given context and the fact that we wouldn't mix kilometres and terrestrial miles in such a way in a single sentence.
No telling what might be mixed in something written by human beings!

Thank you again for the information you brought to this thread. This is another example, for me at least, where a question leads into unexpected and interesting areas. The Belem is a quite famous French three-master apparently, with a lot of tradition and history. The French entry in Wikipedia is more complete than the English one.

As an example, it costs 32 500 € to hire her and the 16 men crew for 3 days at sea and a "load" of maximum 48 pilgrims (the trip from Bordeaux to A Coruña is 5 days and more expensive) and it seems that they are not even for profit since there's a foundation to which you can donate. Their next pilgrimage trip to Compostela is in June 2018 and you need to be a member of a Saint James association if you want to participate. Below are the Compostela pilgrims from 2016 before their departure from France:

les-pelerins-de-saint-jacques-de-compostelle-embarquent-sur-le-belem.jpg

Source: article in SudOuest of 27 June 2016.
Hi Katharina,I know some of the people in this photograph..The lady ,thirdfrom left ,she was the other volunteer with me in Bordeaux. The price of the trip this year is 1300 euro for assoc..members and 1350 for new members..I think I'll stick to dry land.Bonne Nuit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back