• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint-Jacques La Mecque

micamino73

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get the movie Saint-Jacques La Mecque. Some french pilgrims said it was a good movie about the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
micamino73 said:
Thanks but no subtitles on the DVD from france I think.

Ah yes, that is highly possible! It's a pain... . Reminds me of the english spoken shows on french tv which are dubbed whereas here in Belgium and Holland we subtitle. Hence our better understanding of foreign languages.

micamino73 said:
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get the movie Saint-Jacques La Mecque. Some french pilgrims said it was a good movie about the Camino.
SabineP said:
Through Amazon France...
http://www.amazon.fr/St-Jacques-Mecque- ... 010&sr=1-1

SabineP said:
micamino73 said:
Thanks but no subtitles on the DVD from france I think.

Ah yes, that is highly possible! It's a pain... . Reminds me of the english spoken shows on french tv which are dubbed whereas here in Belgium and Holland we subtitle. Hence our better understanding of foreign languages.

However you view it following the French or not Saint-Jacques La Mecque is delightful in the road-film tradition. It follows a truly mixed group of pilgrims on a guided camino from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jacques de Compostela. Included are two French brothers and a sister who hate each other yet who must walk together in order to receive their inheritance. As well two young French-born Arab boys also are on the camino believing mistakenly that it leads to Mecca. The scenery is great and the situations amusing. Any viewer who has been a pilgrim will recognize the depicted traits both good and bad of fellow pilgrims. Happily after all is said and done the final shot might be titled "...all you need is love!".

Margaret

My copy does not have subtitles. My French is as bad as my Spanish, so I bought the book as a sort of libretto for the film. I am about halfway through the book, so the general plot as described is still about all I know of the film! :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a French version, which has no subtitles and will not play on American DVDs, but will play on a computer.

It has been enjoyed by everyone, from native French speakers to those who don't understand a word of it. There is some rapid fire French which is tough to follow.

I have been looking for a version with subtitles for a long time. I found it is now available, but is $40 on Amazon. Digging around, I found this place:

http://www.redtagmarket.com/

They had it for $20, Canadian version, French with English sous-titres. I just unwrapped it and works, and yes, I missed some of the rapid fire reasons they could not make the trip. No pilgrim should miss this film.

In this movie, I remember the following.
The group arrived at Foncebadon. They realize that someone is missing. So someone went back to search him. The missing person was found in the cowboy bar in El Ganso. In the movie, it's like the distance can be done in a few minutes. But in reality, it takes 3 hours (one way).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I saw a bit of the film on French television, complete with the superb subtitles for the hard of hearing that French television offers. (I can follow French dialogue if I have subtitles in French, but not otherwise.) The dialogue in this film is dense, and obviously very important to the experience. For example, I missed the detail of the ill tempered sister's anti-clerical diatribe.

To see the whole film, I bought a copy from Amazon. French DVDs often come with subtitles for the hard of hearing, but not this one. So I still haven't had the full Saint Jacques la Mecque experience.

I have it on the digibox of my television. Will find out if it can be copied on something different...

In this movie, I remember the following.
The group arrived at Foncebadon. They realize that someone is missing. So someone went back to search him. The missing person was found in the cowboy bar in El Ganso. In the movie, it's like the distance can be done in a few minutes. But in reality, it takes 3 hours (one way).

Ahhh, but Gunnar, the Cowboy Bar has the most delicious tuna empanada in the world. It would be worth the walk!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Indeed a very nice film - I watched it when preparing my first camino.

There are quite some unrealistic scenes*, but never mind; even if it is a comedy and fiction, it is worth watching and you get an impression of "a" camino de Santiago.
(*the young girl throwing half of her luggage away inmidst of the mountains; the catholic albergue refusing to shelter the two young Muslims; the group sleeping in the parador in Santiago as if it was a simple pilgrims' albergue...).

2020: not available on Amazon. Site says they do not know when it/if it will be available.
There are some on eBay but you would have to contact the seller about subtitles:

Very good movie BTW. It's how I learned about Camino(s) de Santiago. And never regret it :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back