• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint James Day 2018

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Although physically I may not be in Santiago de Compostela now nevertheless I yearn to hear the massive cathedral bells peal in celebration of the Feast of Saint James, July 25.

Within the city multitudes will convene and celebrate this historic Catholic event. Spanish royalty, government officials, church dignitaries, ordinary citizens, and, of course, thousands of actual pilgrims will be present. All will assemble to actively participate in age-old ecclesiastic pageantry and tradition.

Imagine if those present could be magically joined by all past pilgrims. Such a super-giant throng of celebrants would stretch back across one thousand years!

Whatever our ethnicity or beliefs, all pilgrims who walk or have walked the Camino share common bonds. All surely remember their personal thrill on arriving at last at the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, weeping with joy, and giving thanks as the great bells tolled.

At home in France tomorrow I shall, as always, also remember and listen for those far-distant, celebratory bells.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been watching the preparations for tonight's big firework celebrations in the Praza do Obradoiro on a webcam now and again over the past couple of days. Not the same as being there of course but a link all the same :) The display switches around between 3 or 4 different positions to get a reasonable view of the square. Busy enough now - I'm trying to imagine what it will be like tonight :)
http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web/praza-do-obradoiro

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After the webcams were inoperative for several weeks, I sent an email to CRTVG. They just responded that the webcams are back up! You can watch the evening (and noon) masses and perhaps see the botafumeiro!
Thank you for this information . At least we can watch from afar but be there in spirit.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After the webcams were inoperative for several weeks, I sent an email to CRTVG. They just responded that the webcams are back up! You can watch the evening (and noon) masses and perhaps see the botafumeiro!
I am watching now, remembering when I was there on Saint James Day in 1999, a Holy Year. A great experience! Do you know when the fireworks start?

€60,-
If you eat oysters on Saint James Day, you will never have the want of money. Happy Saint James Day to you all.

Buen Camino

Mark

Thank you, @mspath , for voicing the sentiments of many of us who cannot be in Santiago today.
Blessings to all, today and all days.
I missed the midnight mass and fireworks, but it's lovely to see the plaza in before dawn on the feast day, with all the scaffolding from the Cathedral entrance finally removed - so thanks for that link, @falcon269 and @Bradypus. There are a surprising number of people milling around at this early hour.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is one pishogue I doubt I will ever act on! But Happy Day for those basking in the atmosphere today, especially those who have planned their arrival deliberately.
Looks like I am destined to be poor! Maybe in monetary terms, but never in spirit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@FlechaCadaDia

Don't know. Read it online. FYI: yes I ate oysters today.

It is also customary for the English to eat oysters today. It is said that "Who eats oysters on St James's Day will never want!"

https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeafterpentecost4x.html

Thank you for asking.

Buen camino

Mark
Mark, thanks for your explanation. I hope you were not offended by my reply. And for those who didn’t google it, pishogue more or less is an old wives’ tale. In fact my reply comes from my ignorance, never having tried them, and also the association of oysters and Guinness, a brew that has never attracted me. I haven’t time right now to follow your link, but also my guess is that it has to do with plentiful catches when all sea reaping was natural, and not controlled. Something similar to the idea that if it rains on St John’s Day you may be sure for rain for the next forty days.... so, you ate oysters: here is a saying from the country to the North of your own: Lang may yer lum reek! It has a similar meaning. It accompanies the lump of coal traditionally given when first footing on Hogmanay, meaning may you always have enough coal to keep the fire going.

Hola! Sydneysiders or thereabouts: I noticed a Patronal Festival celebrating Saint James' The Great at the church of Saint James in the city, Sydney, sjks.org.au,

with a talk on Saint James...'for anyone interested in Saint James particularly the Camino...with uplifting music and narrative' this Saturday 28th July 2018 at 3pm. Then fine choral music in a performance 'Saints and Revelation' follows at 5pm....a sonic pilgrimage.....bookings etc.
I would like to get there later as am visiting the city, however I had already booked an earlier concert starring a visiting French Medieval group on a strange and wonderful theme so it could be quite an afternoon....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Imagine if those present could be magically joined by all past pilgrims. Such a super-giant throng of celebrants would stretch back across one thousand years!
On my first Camino numbers walking were tiny and apart from one morning together with a Spanish pilgrim I walked almost entirely alone from SJPDP to Santiago. When I returned home a friend asked if I was lonely during my journey. For a few moments I simply could not understand the question: how could I possibly be lonely walking a path I shared with millions who had walked this way for centuries before me? The idea of loneliness had never even occurred to me.

On my first Camino numbers walking were tiny and apart from one morning together with a Spanish pilgrim I walked almost entirely alone from SJPDP to Santiago. When I returned home a friend asked if I was lonely during my journey. For a few moments I simply could not understand the question: how could I possibly be lonely walking a path I shared with millions who had walked this way for centuries before me? The idea of loneliness had never even occurred to me.
Triple like, @Bradypus....such a nice image.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back