• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saint Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles (Ruta de Napoleón) in Oct

Mattias Johansson

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do my first walk this year (2017)
HI All,

Visiting Spain in mid october for business and was thinking about the camino starting in Saint Jan Pied de Port and heading south for about a week. A concern however is that from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles many albergue along that way seem to be closed in October and I fear that all height meters will make it a thought first walking day.

Any nsighst to share? (First choice is to do start Oct 23... if not possible maybe i can manage before work trip. then Oct 9th).

Any insights/tips to share?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually, you will be heading west!;)

Things will close after October, though October 28 may be closing for some. It will have little effect for the week from SJPdP. There are not that many stops before Pamplona, and they probably will be open. You will be fine, I think.

HI All,

Visiting Spain in mid october for business and was thinking about the camino starting in Saint Jan Pied de Port and heading south for about a week. A concern however is that from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles many albergue along that way seem to be closed in October and I fear that all height meters will make it a thought first walking day.

Any nsighst to share? (First choice is to do start Oct 23... if not possible maybe i can manage before work trip. then Oct 9th).

Any insights/tips to share?
On Route Napoleon albergue in Huntto will be opened until Nov 15th and I think Orisson also until end of October.
On Valcarlos Route the albergue in Valcarlos is opened whole year so is the one in Roncesvalles and many of them all the way to Logrono which would be roughly your ending point for one week of walking.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No albergues open on route napoleon after mid october except Hutto which is 5km from SJPdP. Its only 25km and fit no problem

Might be good to look into route 2 in case like us in August we were advised to go the alternative route as the weather was bad on over the Pyranees on Naploeon route, dont be fooled as this route is just as tough.. Either way you will love it just study it as much as you would the Napoleon route. This is doable in a day but make plenty little stops, rest the feet, plenty water and stop in Valcarlos for food as there is no option to do so after there nor are there any water stops after there either. Lots of different terrain, road, forest paths and steep pathways. Buen Camino :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were scheduled to stay in Orisson on Oct 11th, but they cancelled us. They are closing early for renovations. We will arrange a shuttle (Express Bouricott) to pick us up after walking to Virgin of Orisson to take us back to St Jean PdeP, and then the next day back to the Virgin of Orisson to continue our walk. It was a disappointment to not stay at Orisson, but this sounds doable.
Bonnie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We were scheduled to stay in Orisson on Oct 11th, but they cancelled us. They are closing early for renovations. We will arrange a shuttle (Express Bouricott) to pick us up after walking to Virgin of Orisson to take us back to St Jean PdeP, and then the next day back to the Virgin of Orisson to continue our walk. It was a disappointment to not stay at Orisson, but this sounds doable.
Bonnie

Hi BonnieS - do you know of Orisson will be closed altogether at that time or is it just the lodging part? I will be passing up there a couple of days later and was hoping to grab a bite and a coffee on the way by...

Closed means closed including the water tap and outside toilet. They always close without notice and just cancel bookings

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My impression is that they are simply closed, everything. I had asked about their second place to sleep (a km away or so) and they said it too was closed.

Buen Camino!
Bonnie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back